PDA

View Full Version : SLU 2010-2011 - Until Moko Comes Along This Will Have To Do

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 [32] 33

GoldenBear
07-26-2011, 09:42 PM
Carvey is the man: http://www.stlawu.edu/athletics/saints/men%27s+hockey/story/7660

Great news for the Saints and for the future! Joe and two assistants with big time pro backgrounds will be great for current players and for future recruiting!

hockeyplayer1015
07-26-2011, 09:47 PM
Carvey is the man: http://www.stlawu.edu/athletics/saints/men%27s+hockey/story/7660

Great news for the Saints and for the future! Joe and two assistants with big time pro backgrounds will be great for current players and for future recruiting!

Beat me to it by 5 mins. Great pickup to replace Bobby behind the bench alongside Joe and Mike. That's as good of a coaching staff as anybody else in the NCAA for a kid to develop.

Got 6, Want More
07-26-2011, 10:34 PM

As sad as I still am to see a class act and great guy move on to Princeton, I am thrilled that things worked out with Carvy! I knew that Joe had some discussions with him but I still thought it was a longshot for a guy with 8 years of NHL coaching experience. Carvy is a complete class act, a brilliant kid, a hard worker and the cherry on top for me is that he is an alum and someone who gets and is on board with the Joe Marsh philosophy. I was there when Joe got there, for the Hurley years and for one of the Carvy years and I can say, without any hesitation, this is great news. Welcome home Carvy!

Muskieman
07-27-2011, 12:03 AM

Excellent news, indeed. An already great coaching staff just got a lot better.

TimU
07-27-2011, 07:27 AM
Wow. What a trio.

Worth the wait!

mwade
07-27-2011, 11:48 AM
SLU players (past/present, male/female) with public twitter accounts (+mini-galleries for a few of them) - http://bit.ly/twitSLU

Ralph Baer
07-27-2011, 03:31 PM
RPI blog Without a Peer post about SLU http://www.withoutapeer.com/2011/07/know-your-enemy-st-lawrence.html.

I have no connection to WaP besides for being a reader.

Spaceman
07-31-2011, 12:29 AM
Wow, what a pickup to get Carvel as a coach! That is just a shock with his NHL experence and is a huge grab for SLU. Welcome home and back to Canton, NY Greg.

freego
08-14-2011, 06:54 PM
This year's golf tournament will take place on 9/17 at the University golf course. Golf is $65 per person and includes dinner. Hole sponsorships are $75. This is the biggest fund of the year for the Friends of St. Lawrence Hockey. All proceeds go directly to the hockey teams. This a great opportunity to meet current and former players and support the teams at the same time. Give me a call at 315-714-2301 to register for the tournament and/or sponsor a hole.
Thanks
Bob Freego
Vice Chair
FSLH

hockeyplayer1015
08-28-2011, 12:42 AM
Hope any of you (Mike, and maybe Leckster, Tayt and Tim?) in the path of Irene stay safe and don't have any issues from the weather.

A little over a month until puck drop. Unreal how fast the offseason has gone by.

TimU
08-28-2011, 10:10 AM
Hope any of you (Mike, and maybe Leckster, Tayt and Tim?) in the path of Irene stay safe and don't have any issues from the weather.

Tayt and I are going to see some pretty bad flooding and some wind damage. It'll be bad, but most of us should be OK here. Keep your fingers crossed for Leckster, though, and especially for Mike. The bulls-eye is literally right over his house in terms of the worst wind, and he's in the middle of it right now.

hockeyplayer1015
08-28-2011, 11:30 AM
Tayt and I are going to see some pretty bad flooding and some wind damage. It'll be bad, but most of us should be OK here. Keep your fingers crossed for Leckster, though, and especially for Mike. The bulls-eye is literally right over his house in terms of the worst wind, and he's in the middle of it right now.

Ya, I've got friends without power and stuff on LI and in NJ/PA, but it sounds like it really wasn't all that horrible for them. Some trees down, some flooding in lower manhattan, but could have been much worse. Hope all of you and your property come out fine.

hockeyplayer1015
08-28-2011, 10:39 PM
Seeing some very major flooding in several places through vermont, hope everything is alright by you guys Tim and Tayt.

It sounds like the western half of the path of Irene got the brunt of the storm once it got up inland a bit, although I can't imagine the eastern half got out easy either.

TimU
08-29-2011, 07:38 AM
Seeing some very major flooding in several places through vermont, hope everything is alright by you guys Tim and Tayt.

It sounds like the western half of the path of Irene got the brunt of the storm once it got up inland a bit, although I can't imagine the eastern half got out easy either.

Yeah, holy ****. I'm OK, and my house is high and dry, but the flooding was unreal, and there is so much damage - especially in the southern half of the state - that I can't imagine how we're going to fix it anytime soon. A few miles south of me, houses were being picked up and washed away by what is normally a brook you can cross in two jumps. There are bridges out all over the place, and a lot of people are stranded. US 4 between Rutland and Killington is out (section of the road is completely gone), and US 7 just south of Rutland had a bridge destroyed. LOTS of other major roads have had sections totally washed away. It's pretty bad. The only good news is that we never got the 60-70 mph winds we had expected. There's some wind damage, but not bad (Tayt probably had more wind than I did up near the lake). But the flooding is probably worse than anything we've seen since the 40s.

joecct
08-29-2011, 06:50 PM
Alumni alert (which you probably all know).

Jeremiah Cunningham is playing for Caen in the French Magnus (top) League. Writeup of a friendly with Rouen. http://www.passionhockey.com/201108293134/General-France/rouen-caen-match-amical.html

Use Chrome to open the browser.

critsports
09-06-2011, 11:21 PM

Sorry I haven't written or been posting. I have somehow got out of the habit of checking USCHO. Way to busy at work. The storm did not hit CT as hard as it was forecast to.....HOWEVER.....the damage and power outages were far worse than Gloria back in 1985 that had much more rain and higher wind. The experts said all the damage came from the fact the tree's were in full green foiliage whereas in other storms with much higher winds, they came later in the year where the leaves were either changing or partially down.
I had about an 80-100 foot oak tree uproot and fall across my front yard. Fortunately it was nowhere near the house. The biggest negative was the power. We were without it for 8 days and just got it back Sunday afternoon. I did buy a generator just before the storm came but in retrospect there are pro's and con's.... the biggest negative is the noise and they are gas hogs. Over 8 days I probably spent over $350 in gas and for the first three days after the storm there was a shortage of gas in CT and I had to drive 30 miles just to buy it.
It was nice having lights (instead of battery powered lanterns) and my laptop kept me connected to the outside world. As Tim indicated previously VT and other places have damage it will take years to fix, most of ours (other than homes destroyed on the shoreline) were fixed in 8 days or less.
Looking forward to the season and perhaps to attending the Boosters Golf Tournament. We normally have two foursomes entered but Pat indicates his foursome is now a twosome so I may be pre-empted. We'll see.

hockeyplayer1015
09-07-2011, 12:38 AM
Sorry I haven't written or been posting. I have somehow got out of the habit of checking USCHO. Way to busy at work. The storm did not hit CT as hard as it was forecast to.....HOWEVER.....the damage and power outages were far worse than Gloria back in 1985 that had much more rain and higher wind. The experts said all the damage came from the fact the tree's were in full green foiliage whereas in other storms with much higher winds, they came later in the year where the leaves were either changing or partially down.
I had about an 80-100 foot oak tree uproot and fall across my front yard. Fortunately it was nowhere near the house. The biggest negative was the power. We were without it for 8 days and just got it back Sunday afternoon. I did buy a generator just before the storm came but in retrospect there are pro's and con's.... the biggest negative is the noise and they are gas hogs. Over 8 days I probably spent over $350 in gas and for the first three days after the storm there was a shortage of gas in CT and I had to drive 30 miles just to buy it.
It was nice having lights (instead of battery powered lanterns) and my laptop kept me connected to the outside world. As Tim indicated previously VT and other places have damage it will take years to fix, most of ours (other than homes destroyed on the shoreline) were fixed in 8 days or less.
Looking forward to the season and perhaps to attending the Boosters Golf Tournament. We normally have two foursomes entered but Pat indicates his foursome is now a twosome so I may be pre-empted. We'll see.

Its easy to get out of the habit of checking here when the offseason hits. Glad to hear that you came away mostly unscathed though Mike.

I wish I was going to be home from work for the golf tourney, but I'm going to be 5 days too late. Currently down in the Baton Rouge area on the tugboat, just about halfway through this current tour down here. I'll get 2 weeks off when I get to 9/22, coming back oct 6 for 4 weeks.

Muskieman
09-08-2011, 01:18 AM
Well, itís pouring rain (again) as I write this and weíre keeping a close eye on the creek adjacent to the driveway. We were lucky last week here but areas just to the south and east of us, northern NJ, and VT were devastated by flooding. Iím glad that, despite the inconveniences, the New England Crew (Leckster, Tayt, Tim, Sara, and others) are OK, and just wish we could airlift all this rain down Brandonís way into Texas.

Just wanted to add my thoughts on the upcoming season and hope it gets some good dialogue going. Iíll preface this by saying that I understand that Matt Carey is still coming in 2012 despite putting up close to 90 points last year, and that Justin Baker is out for the season and another d-man other than the one that has been announced has not been recruited for 2011.

COACHING: We have a legend as the Head Coach, an all All-American as our Associate Coach, and an Academic All-American with extensive NHL Coaching experience as our Assistant Coach. It doesnít get any better than that Ė SLU will not be out coached or outworked.

GOAL: I think Weninger and Moss are just about equal and very good in terms of mental toughness and abilities. Spadaccini can also play at a high level. This group will steal a few games for us this season.

DEFENSE: The loss of Baker, our steadiest d-man last season IMO, really hurts. I think we got some great d-man returning and one really good one incoming, but am not sure we have enough depth. As always, a ďwalk-onĒ will step up to the plate big-time and my worries will be for nothing.

FORWARDS: The first line will be awesome. I see Flanny, Drewiske, and Carey on that line. As for the other lines, I have no idea. Based on their stats, I suspect that the incoming forwards will play on the 3rd and/or the 4th line(s).

SPECIAL TEAMS: I think these will be vastly improved and suspect that Carvel (a genius IMO) will devise some creative powerplay and PK options. This should be fun to watch.

PREDICTION: 7th or 8th in the ECAC; win first round series, and lose in the 2nd round appears realistic. Rome wasnít built in a day.

PERSONAL: I may take a job with an Income Tax Firm (training starts on 9/13). If I take this job, games that I can attend will all be before the Christmas Break. That means missing any/all playoff games. Will make decision in a day or two, but I need to get back to work ASAP, as retiring on 5/20 from my prior job isnít keeping me busy enough. Cannot make it the Golf Tournament on 9/17.

GO SLU!

Got 6, Want More
09-12-2011, 09:49 PM
Well, itís pouring rain (again) as I write this and weíre keeping a close eye on the creek adjacent to the driveway. We were lucky last week here but areas just to the south and east of us, northern NJ, and VT were devastated by flooding. Iím glad that, despite the inconveniences, the New England Crew (Leckster, Tayt, Tim, Sara, and others) are OK, and just wish we could airlift all this rain down Brandonís way into Texas.

Just wanted to add my thoughts on the upcoming season and hope it gets some good dialogue going. Iíll preface this by saying that I understand that Matt Carey is still coming in 2012 despite putting up close to 90 points last year, and that Justin Baker is out for the season and another d-man other than the one that has been announced has not been recruited for 2011.

COACHING: We have a legend as the Head Coach, an all All-American as our Associate Coach, and an Academic All-American with extensive NHL Coaching experience as our Assistant Coach. It doesnít get any better than that Ė SLU will not be out coached or outworked.

GOAL: I think Weninger and Moss are just about equal and very good in terms of mental toughness and abilities. Spadaccini can also play at a high level. This group will steal a few games for us this season.

DEFENSE: The loss of Baker, our steadiest d-man last season IMO, really hurts. I think we got some great d-man returning and one really good one incoming, but am not sure we have enough depth. As always, a ďwalk-onĒ will step up to the plate big-time and my worries will be for nothing.

FORWARDS: The first line will be awesome. I see Flanny, Drewiske, and Carey on that line. As for the other lines, I have no idea. Based on their stats, I suspect that the incoming forwards will play on the 3rd and/or the 4th line(s).

SPECIAL TEAMS: I think these will be vastly improved and suspect that Carvel (a genius IMO) will devise some creative powerplay and PK options. This should be fun to watch.

PREDICTION: 7th or 8th in the ECAC; win first round series, and lose in the 2nd round appears realistic. Rome wasnít built in a day.

PERSONAL: I may take a job with an Income Tax Firm (training starts on 9/13). If I take this job, games that I can attend will all be before the Christmas Break. That means missing any/all playoff games. Will make decision in a day or two, but I need to get back to work ASAP, as retiring on 5/20 from my prior job isnít keeping me busy enough. Cannot make it the Golf Tournament on 9/17.

GO SLU!

We are fine in Southern New Hampshire. We lost power for 2 hours during Irene and that is about it...a lot of rain.

I had not heard Baker is out for the season. I know he didn't have surgery and was going to wear a brace instead, but possibly that has become an issue and he is going for surgery. My update is fairly recent, but....if so...suckage! I assume Armstrong enrolled. I know we got a lot of good young forward in the freshmen class with Gunnar Hughes, Martin, Thompson and Doherty and I know all those guys are there. And yes, Matt Carey is SLU bound and has his first game tonight in Hamilton. Let's hope for a good season for him. There are capable guys ready to go between Austin and Stratford, Wick can also play D not that I would want to lose him as a forward. What is critical is that Pete Child can stay healthy as long as the other core guys, but we are not as deep at D as in other positions and that is just reality. Still recovering from Stevenson bailing. I know Coffey left as well which is too bad. He'll be missed for his depth as well as his guitar playing.

It sounds like the guys are ready to go. Conditioning time at the moment so it will get fun soon.

Right now my thoughts are on losing two great young men from my era on 9/11 as well as many other friends and alums. 10 years on and it still makes me sick that quality, decent, generous human beings were stolen from us by pond scum that shouldn't even be allowed to share our air. We got OBL but we are still not even. I want them all and I want each of them to go with the same cowardice as OBL.

Larriecat
09-13-2011, 09:47 AM
Kids are back skating. Spirits are high. Carvel great new addition. FYI.....Baker is in school and is skating just fine.