Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: SLU 2010-2011 - Until Moko Comes Along This Will Have To Do

Originally posted by LTsatch View Post
    As far as cockiness and rough play, this past weekend was quite frankly the only time Yale even came close to slugging it out with another team, I have witnessed in person all of the home and three road games this year, and none of the other series were even close to as nasty as last week. I would call it an uncharacteristic weekend for both teams and leave it at that.
    I have been so busy at work and traveling that I haven't had a spare moment to weigh in on the discourse. I really wanted to say more about my feelings on the Ylae thread but didn't out of respect for everyone trying to be civil. But as this is an SLU thread I feel entitled to be a little more open and direct about what I saw and heard.

First with regard to not seeing Ylae come close to slugging it out with another team. I think there is one thing you (and all of us) are not considering and it's this......how many times this year did you see Yale (or we see SLU) play the SAME TEAM three nights in a row?????

In the NHL I have heard the expression about teams playing a 7 game series in that they play enough games to "get the hate on". I think some of what we saw is perhaps related to that theory. Playing the same team three nights in a row can breed something beyond the normal passion or rivalry a couple of weekend games against different teams each night might bring.

I had the opportunity to talk to a couple of players and they echoed a little bit of what Got6 mentions. As the series went from game one to game two (and the posturing, diving, chirping and some taunting increased) several SLU players commented that they "lost a lot of respect" for the Ylae players. One player in particular who could probably be described as a "the pacifist of hockey players" on our team commented that by the third period of game two he was so furious from the nonsense, he wanted to punch a Ylae player. So if that was how our most laid back player felt, I can only imagine how the guys who have the shorter fuses must have felt. Certainly we saw how they reacted and how things escalated.

Anyhow.......for what it's worth with SLU winning game one which I am sure shocked and perhaps even embarrassed Yale (losing for the first time on home ice)....by the time game two rolled around Allain probably had his boys pretty amped up and when things started to get rough and the officials lost control things went down hill from there.

The playoffs are a different animal from the regular season and I will chalk a lot up to that fact. A lot was made of the fact that we (SLU) had to play physical to "take Yale off their game". In the end maybe what happened was really the other way around!!!! Maybe all the chirping, complaining, diving, etc. actually got SLU out of a disciplined checking game and into a more undisciplined march to the penalty box which got us off our game??? Hmmmmmm......just some food for thought!!
    SLU

Comment

I think there's a lot to that, critsports. And believe me... Your honest comments are welcome on the Yale thread anytime.

Comment

Originally posted by critsports View Post
        I A lot was made of the fact that we (SLU) had to play physical to "take Yale off their game".
        . . . which in my mind is silly. The Saints are not a physical team, they're a skating team. As good as the PK was this year, there is NO WAY they would purposely risk putting Ylae's PP on the ice. And let's not forget that in Game 1, Ylae scored on its first three power play opportunities - if SLU had come in with any ideas about changing their style to "take Ylae off their game," it would have gone out the window about five minutes into the first period on Friday. Honestly, we had one really good period in the series, and it definitely wasn't the result of Saint players elbowing people in the head.

SLU was able to beat Ylae twice this year - despite being a clearly weaker team overall - because Ylae played to SLU's strengths. The first four games - even Ylae's first 4-1 win - were very competitive, for the same reason that we beat RPI once, beat UNH, and lost (as usual) to Brown. SLU didn't have to play more physical to take Ylae off its game. SLU had to rely on its skating abilities and goaltending and if at all possible avoid playing a man down, which was tantamount to suicide. They wanted a fast, up-and-down game - all season long when they spent long periods of time in center ice and the defensive zone, they eventually made killer mistakes that cost them wins.

And I'm not saying that Ylae felt like they had to "take SLU off their game." I don't think they were motivated to play dirty hockey either. They had plenty of speed, and more than enough depth of talent and skill, to win straight up. Which they did.
        Last edited by TimU; 03-16-2011, 07:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Got 6, Want More View Post
          And, to be honest, Yale is a pretty cocky team with a pretty cocky coach considering they haven't won anything with him as coach. They have been a top seed, but so far no ECAC Championships and no NCAA success.
          Not disagreeing with you about Allain's attitude - but it seems you are forgetting Yale's ECAC championship only 2 years ago - a 5-0 smoking of Cornell. I'm still trying to forget that one.

Comment

Carey officially named to the ECAC All-Rookie squad.

http://www.uscho.com/2011/03/16/ecac...rookie-squads/

Comment

Originally posted by DisplacedCornellian View Post
              Not disagreeing with you about Allain's attitude - but it seems you are forgetting Yale's ECAC championship only 2 years ago - a 5-0 smoking of Cornell. I'm still trying to forget that one.
              I imagine got6 forgot that weekend for similar reasons, after Yale came from 2 down I believe in the final 2 minutes or so to beat SLU in the semi's.

Comment

Less than 50 hours to get your picks into the ECAC Pick The Playoffs Final Round.
                Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
                And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
                WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
                If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

Comment

Originally posted by DisplacedCornellian View Post
                  Yeah, wonder how I managed to block that out of my mind so effectively. We are trying to forget the previous night were we gave up two goals in the last 1.5 minutes.

All I can say is whatever....the lack of toughness, the chirping, the taunting, the arrogance...it is hard to feel good about Yale after watching that series. Clarkson was 100 times more classy in defeat last season. I have never seen a team in this league do that since the old Union team that we used to get in the playoffs 10-15 years ago and they would just run at you all night.

For the belly laugh of the day on the Yale thread, they are complaining Rondeau didn't make one of the all league teams...cripes if not for Rondeau they might not have lost all season!

It would seem Calof will win ROTY over Carey given the fact he also made the 3rd team and Carey did not. I'd rather have a goal-scorer any day personally.

As for the back and forth about last weekend all I know for sure is that that style of play is not SLU's style. I don't watch Yale enough to know what their style is but they are not big and strong enough to be truly tough the way Cornell is. Even having said that, I can live with the players in an emotional battle with the hormones of a 23 year old or younger guy, but the behavior of Allain leading the pack is actually quite sad. It was clear to me they didn't respect their opponent or the game and eventually that will catch up with them if they don't change their ways. I have talked to a few Yale alums and the word they chose was 'embarrassed'.....their words, not mine.
                  9/11/01 - Stewie & Pelch, you are missed by the SLU Family.
                  1962, 1988, 1989, 1992, 2000, 2001, we want More!!!

Comment

Yeah, wonder how I managed to block that out of my mind so effectively. We are trying to forget the previous night were we gave up two goals in the last 1.5 minutes.

All I can say is whatever....the lack of toughness, the chirping, the taunting, the arrogance...it is hard to feel good about Yale after watching that series. Clarkson was 100 times more classy in defeat last season. I have never seen a team in this league do that since the old Union team that we used to get in the playoffs 10-15 years ago and they would just run at you all night.

For the belly laugh of the day on the Yale thread, they are complaining Rondeau didn't make one of the all league teams...cripes if not for Rondeau they might not have lost all season!

It would seem Calof will win ROTY over Carey given the fact he also made the 3rd team and Carey did not. I'd rather have a goal-scorer any day personally.

As for the back and forth about last weekend all I know for sure is that that style of play is not SLU's style. I don't watch Yale enough to know what their style is but they are not big and strong enough to be truly tough the way Cornell is. Even having said that, I can live with the players in an emotional battle with the hormones of a 23 year old or younger guy, but the behavior of Allain leading the pack is actually quite sad. It was clear to me they didn't respect their opponent or the game and eventually that will catch up with them if they don't change their ways. I have talked to a few Yale alums and the word they chose was 'embarrassed'.....their words, not mine.
                    This is a bit harsh, I suppose, but the way to stop all the chirping, whining, etc. is simple - the refs. give each team a warning/reminder before each game and, if anybody chirps thereafter, assess a 2 min. minor. That will put a quick stop to that sort of stuff and, if implemented, #2 for Yale would be a fixture in the penalty box. I sense that Yale's constant chirping, whining, etc. will come back to bite them at some point in the playoffs.

Got6 is right - Clarkson was as classy as it gets during last year's playoffs. Kudos to George Roll and his team.
                    GO SAINTS.

Comment

If Rondeau did not let that 80 foot goal in at the beginning of Game one in the quarters we would be looking at a 2-0 Yale sweep of good old dirty SLU, that's right dirty. Your team came out dirty in period two in game two and got spanked because of it. You complain about whining and have continued to whine for days on end about this series, please get over it.
                      YALE HOCKEY
                      2013 National Champions

Comment

• Originally posted by LTsatch View Post
                        If Rondeau did not let that 80 foot goal in at the beginning of Game one in the quarters we would be looking at a 2-0 Yale sweep of good old dirty SLU, that's right dirty. Your team came out dirty in period two in game two and got spanked because of it. You complain about whining and have continued to whine for days on end about this series, please get over it.
                        For ****'s sake, if you don't like it, don't come read the slu thread. Fact of the matter is both teams played garbage hockey on Saturday, neither team was better or worse than the other with the dirty play. Got6 isn't completely wrong, you aren't completely wrong.

Comment

Anyone know the last time SLU didn't have a player on the first-, second-, or third-team All ECAC list?

Must be 'cause they're so dirty.

Comment

Big congrats to Captain Aaron Bogosian who has signed an ATO with Springfield of the AHL. I wish(ed after the Yale series) him nothing but the best in his future endeavors, and hope that he can stick in the AHL.

Comment

Originally posted by hockeyplayer1015 View Post
                              Big congrats to Captain Aaron Bogosian who has signed an ATO with Springfield of the AHL. I wish(ed after the Yale series) him nothing but the best in his future endeavors, and hope that he can stick in the AHL.
                              He is a heck of a skater. Very impressive last weekend, alot of the Yale crowd were commenting about him every time he touched the puck, we were all afraid of his speed and passing.
                              YALE HOCKEY
                              2013 National Champions

Comment

Less than 24 hours to get your picks into the ECAC Pick The Playoffs Contest. Need to be in by 4:30 on Friday. Lots of people MIA.

95virago
                                allnightwong
                                apple2k
                                BigRedBrouhaha
                                bothman
                                Brett Gobe
                                Brian Sullivan
                                cnor79
                                cudmud
                                Dutchfan
                                hockeyplayer1015
                                jmhusker
                                johnk
                                justlookin'
                                Maine-iac
                                number 16
                                NYHockeyguy
                                Onion Man
                                Puckie14
                                redrocker
                                REDRocket
                                Rhamilton
                                Rhett
                                Rjm7272
                                rockandrock44
                                RPIHFH
                                rpihockeyfan13
                                rvd5star69
                                slu fan
                                StayPuftMMcu
                                TchrBill
                                Union93
                                uniondutch21
                                UnionPuckLove
                                UnionTDX04
                                Wholin1
                                bcarlisle
                                unhpuckfan2001
                                Last edited by vicb; 03-17-2011, 05:35 PM.
                                Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
                                And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
                                WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
                                If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

Comment

Working...
                                X