Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Severe Ronaldstorm Warning: the Michigan Tech 2010-11 Season Thread, Part the Second

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Severe Ronaldstorm Warning: the Michigan Tech 2010-11 Season Thread, Part the Sec

JSR. wow. just wow. way to flame a respected older gentleman who was expressing his opinion.

in my world winning isn't everything. seeing our hockey players go onto medical school, graduate school or successful careers is much more important.

I beg to differ on our players not being there to get an education. no doubt all hockey players have a hope in their hearts to make a successful hockey career. but I believe most of them realize that will be a short lived dream, if at all. all of the players and parents I've spoken to are grateful for the chance to not only play hockey (and have that elusive shot at a pro career) but also for the education.

may I remind you of your namesake, John Scott, who received his mechanical engineering degree this past summer?
    Originally posted by mtu_huskies
    "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
    Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
    Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

• Re: Severe Ronaldstorm Warning: the Michigan Tech 2010-11 Season Thread, Part the Sec

Originally posted by huskyfan View Post
      may I remind you of your namesake, John Scott, who received his mechanical engineering degree this past summer?
      this

Comment

I'll say it again, I don't care about academics if they don't get wins. Losing games and saying "at least we're good at academics!" Is like saying " I mns'd at the bar but at least I got to beat off to a picture of jessica alba when I got home!".
        Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

I'm tired of hearing that players don't want to go to Tech due to the rigors of academics. What about Yale? One might say that's a pretty tough school. How do they get the talent to become #1 in the country?

Comment

Ezac.
            Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

JSR. wow. just wow. way to flame a respected older gentleman who was expressing his opinion.

in my world winning isn't everything. seeing our hockey players go onto medical school, graduate school or successful careers is much more important.
              I don't know the guy but from the way his letter was written, I don't believe he earned alot of respect. Sounded more to me like a guy who was full of himself who threw out some big numbers and big names to try and prove his point in which I didn't believe he proved at all.

I beg to differ on our players not being there to get an education. no doubt all hockey players have a hope in their hearts to make a successful hockey career. but I believe most of them realize that will be a short lived dream, if at all. all of the players and parents I've spoken to are grateful for the chance to not only play hockey (and have that elusive shot at a pro career) but also for the education.
              As I stated division II is about student athletes, division I is about athletes. If you get an athlete who is also a good student, that's a bonus. How many people out there really care that MTU hockey is in the top 10 every year for the academic team (if they are)? I personally don't. Division I sports are about athletes and entertainment; it isn't these kids grades that are making MI, UMINN etc. etc. big time money.

That's great. Jack Johnson from Michigan (LA Kings) did the same but this is more the exception than the norm for Division I athletes.

Comment

Originally posted by JOHN SCOTT ROCKS View Post
                Sounded more to me like a guy who was full of himself who threw out some big numbers and big names to try and prove his point in which I didn't believe he proved at all.
                The irony of this statement is fantastic.

Comment

Originally posted by JOHN SCOTT ROCKS View Post
                  I
                  How many people out there really care that MTU hockey is in the top 10 every year for the academic team (if they are)? I personally don't. Division I sports are about athletes and entertainment; it isn't these kids grades that are making MI, UMINN etc. etc. big time money.
                  I care.

did you know Derby Kitti is in medical school? or that Eli V is in grad school continuing his biomedical engineering studies? these guys are doing things that are going to change lives. just two of many many success stories in Michigan Tech hockey.

(oh yeah I got it going on)

the dedication and discipline of sports is a big part of success. learning to win and lose graciously. team work. hard work. these things serve athletes well later in their lives. look at the community outreach the players do. learning to give back and volunteer. teaching little ones.

(soapbox please)

and yeah. academics are a big part of it. you denigrate every athlete in NCAA sports with your puerile nonsense. kids who got up early every morning to swim or box or fence or run. who never got a big pro contact. who we never heard of. yet they went on to be doctors, nurses, teachers, policeman, soldiers, and yes, a few of those nerdy engineers who make our lives so much better.

(I'm done)

(carry on)
                  Boosh Factor 4

Comment

(one more thing)

over 80% of NCAA hockey players graduate.
                    Boosh Factor 4

Comment

There are always haves and have nots. Right now (and for a long time, unfortunately) MTU is a have not. Either way, no matter when, kids got their degree for the most part. You don't hear of grads working fast food jobs or similar (except maybe BPH, but he's weird ). MTU does have student-athletes. Not pro-bought players. No scandals. No investigations. Kudos to MTU for that.

I love sports. Immensely. But for college sports? I want a clean program, a legit program. If we lose because of it? So be it. Let it happen.
                      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by huskyfan View Post
                        Did you know Derby Kitti is in medical school? or that Eli V is in grad school continuing his biomedical engineering studies?
                        JSR probably thinks that they suck and are irrelevant, because they were rarely on the scoresheet. You know, examples of Russell's complete failure to recruit anyone who is any good at playing hockey.

Comment

I want wins, I want rings, I want trophies. If you can't get that, there's not point in even playing. A winning team has to be what we strive for, not a losing team with good grades!

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                            Ezac.
                            Even if the EZAC stuff were half as true as some people make it out to be, that would make it HARDER for Yale to get good talent, not easier.

Comment

Originally posted by TimU View Post
                              Even if the EZAC stuff were half as true as some people make it out to be, that would make it HARDER for Yale to get good talent, not easier.
                              easier to excel with mediocre talent

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Good luck this weekend. I hope you see two good games and lose two OT thrillers.

Comment

Working...
                                X