Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Severe Ronaldstorm Warning: the Michigan Tech 2010-11 Season Thread, Part the Second

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Severe Ronaldstorm Warning: the Michigan Tech 2010-11 Season Thread, Part the Sec

I'm sure that no matter how passionate people make their letters, they're going to get more or less the same words from Suzanne that I got from Russell last spring. She's not going to tell them what they want to hear - that Russell is as good as gone - until the season is over and it is made official. There's a certain level of professionalism that is expected in college & pro sports, especially when handling PR during rough times, and Suzanne knows where that line is.

Comment

• Re: Severe Ronaldstorm Warning: the Michigan Tech 2010-11 Season Thread, Part the Sec

Originally posted by Burnt Orange Husky View Post
      The best way out of a No-Win situation is the quickest way so we should scrap the Mens program at the end of this season and replace it with a Womens hockey team. That way we could bow out of GLI gracefully while remaining as a member of the WCHA.
      You are joking, right? Because if not that may be the worst idea I have ever heard. Tech would likely have a terrible women's team and absolutely no one will go to the games. You think no one goes to men's games? Absolutely no one would go to women's game, even if they are good. Of the people that did go to the games, you'd have to charge them way less for tickets. Then you also lose out on the share of the F5 revenues.
      Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
      when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
      Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

Michigan Tech needs to be innovative in order to regain relevance. Maybe we are stuck with the same business model that worked with great success in the 60's and 70's, but is hopelessly outdated and obsolete in this particular day. In many ways, the game of college hockey passed Michigan Tech by in the 80's. And while there are current improvements and investments being made, Tech is still playing catch-up to everybody else.

We see this on the fan end of things when it comes to marketing. In the 1970's, the Michigan Tech hockey team basically sold itself to students and locals, and not much input was required. Today, with a losing team and other entertainment options, Michigan Tech still thinks that Division I hockey will be able to sell itself without advertisement and special deals on tickets. The customers have changed, but the business model has not. The program may still be making money, but I feel they have the potential to do more. Increasing the size of the crowd does not end up costing more (you still have to use the same electricity and have the same staff regardless of crowd size), and more people equals more money (not only tickets, but $3 parking, concessions, etc.) so why not be creative in finding ways to increase the crowd from the half-capacity that we have become accustomed to?

On the player end, there are more teams, and thus a dilution of the traditional hockey talent beds. There are more options, and especially after years of losing, what do you have to sell to a premier recruit that they can't get at a school like Duluth, Northern, St. Cloud, or any other similarly sized school with a similar athletic arrangement (Division II for everything else, Division I for hockey)? We have one non-North American player on our roster. Tech has been pushing to get as many international students as possible and celebrating that fact (have you seen how many Chinese and Indian students there are on campus?). Maybe Tech could make a swing through Europe/Russia and pick up a couple of recruits and offer them a premier American Education and good hockey competition and a shot at the NHL? Maybe not. We know that we are not getting the first pick of players when it comes to recruiting no matter where we go, but we need to find the right players to fit the right system, which is not necessarily the systems that other teams use.

I guess my point is that in order to be successful, Tech needs to stop trying to catch up to and mimic everybody else after falling so far behind, and find a different avenue and a new approach to be successful.

Hell, if RIT can be somewhat successful, then why can't we find a niche in this sport that we can exploit back to relevancy?
        Last edited by MTUHatTrick84; 12-31-2010, 02:50 PM.
        Philbert
        ---------------
        Michigan Tech Hockey: _______?.

Formerly, and soon to be again, retired member of The Huskies Pep Band.
        GO HUSKIES, I am still waiting for Tech to win it all!

Comment

Originally posted by MTUHatTrick84 View Post
          Michigan Tech needs to be innovative in order to regain relevance. Maybe we are stuck with the same business model that worked with great success in the 60's and 70's, but is hopelessly outdated and obsolete in this particular day. In many ways, the game of college hockey passed Michigan Tech by in the 80's. And while there are current improvements and investments being made, Tech is still playing catch-up to everybody else.

On the player end, there are more teams, and thus a dilution of the traditional hockey talent beds. There are more options, and especially after years of losing, what do you have to sell to a premier recruit that they can't get at a school like Duluth, Northern, St. Cloud, or any other similarly sized school with a similar athletic arrangement (Division II for everything else, Division I for hockey)?
          I think you are on the right track about "dilution" of the talent. Recruiting is obviously more competitive due to the growth of the sport at the D1 level in the last 30 years. And we cannot discount the unique environment (climate, isolation, demographics, academics, etc.) of MTU that draws some but repels many others. What is MTU selling recruits now? A chance to change the losing culture of Tech Hockey? Face it...if the goal is solely to enter the business of pro hockey upon graduation (or earlier) there are schools to attend that will be more fun than MTU.

As for the situation with D1 hockey and D2 everything else, that used to be a marketable advantage for Tech. Hockey players were the pro-draftable elite studs on campus and everyone else who wore a jock strap were student-athlete nobodies. In effect, nothing competed with the hockey team for attention and glory. Tech is caught in a Catch-22 situation now: until the losing stops there won't be any growth in attendance and it will be very difficult to motivate a team when the seats are either empty or filled with fans with bags on their heads.

I don't know if changing the "business model" is the right way to approach the situation. We've gone beyond that point meaning the problem is cultural and not necessarily process. Rhetorical question: what is necessary to change the culture?

Put me in Glenn Mroz's leather chair and the first thing that gets changed is the idea that anyone with Tech credentials other than a John McInnes zombie has an advantage in hiring. The old 'it's safer to go with the devil we know rather than the devil we don't' attitude must be eliminated. If Tech Hockey, Inc. needs a new business model, it is forcing a transformational, wholesale change of leadership from the AD on down to the guy who drives the Zamboni. Everyone who is infected with the perpetual losing culture needs to be weeded out of the system. Since we cannot be 'merged' into a successful program, scrapping and starting over is the only way. Expensive, but necessary.

Comment

Originally posted by MTUHatTrick84 View Post
            Michigan Tech needs to be innovative in order to regain relevance... Hell, if RIT can be somewhat successful, then why can't we find a niche in this sport that we can exploit back to relevancy?
            Well, from my view that is what Jamie has been trying to do. You can't build a castle on a swamp, you have to first lay a foundation. Tech isn't getting a new rink any time soon, so fix up the one you have and get it closer to on par with other facilites: New seats, floors redone, new wall of fame, new suites, new lockerrooms. Give a Tech recruit something they won't get anywhere else: Kid if you come here, and play out your four years, we're going to take you to Europe for a week. Get someone behind the bench with a passion for Tech hockey win, loss or tie: If you don't think Jamie is one of those people, I'm sorry but you are mistaken. Run a clean program where the kids play by the team rules and make grades or their gone: Check.

I know many people want to jump off a cliff just because of the win totals, but there is a lot more to a "successful" program than wins and losses. Before we say that nothing changes with Tech hockey, stop and think. You'll be suprised just how much has changed in the last decade.

And for RIT's "success", I'll give you two words: Atlantic Hockey. Bemidji made a killing in the half-sized CHA racking up auto-bids, let's see how often they go to the NCAAs now that they are in the WCHA.

Ryan J
            Last edited by JohnsonsJerseys; 12-31-2010, 05:12 PM.
            Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
            https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
            Originally posted by geezer
            Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
            Originally posted by manurespreader
            ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Commissioner View Post
              If Tech Hockey, Inc. needs a new business model, it is forcing a transformational, wholesale change of leadership from the AD on down to the guy who drives the Zamboni. Everyone who is infected with the perpetual losing culture needs to be weeded out of the system.
              You get the torches, I'll bring the pitchforks.

*****http://www.babylovechild.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/Frankenstein-angry-mob.jpg******

Comment

Happy New Year, everybody. I make a resolution to love hockey this year and embrace this team, regardless of where I end up if I ever find a job. I make a resolution to look for ways to improve, instead of focusing on what is going wrong.

Go Huskies! Turn the calendar, burn the pages, it is time to start fresh, find a way to play hockey, and enjoy the time that we are given.
                Philbert
                ---------------
                Michigan Tech Hockey: _______?.

Formerly, and soon to be again, retired member of The Huskies Pep Band.
                GO HUSKIES, I am still waiting for Tech to win it all!

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
                  I know many people want to jump off a cliff just because of the win totals, but there is a lot more to a "successful" program than wins and losses. Before we say that nothing changes with Tech hockey, stop and think. You'll be suprised just how much has changed in the last decade.
                  Ryan J
                  I agree. Those who give up good seats this year are going to be kicking themselves when they can't get in the door a couple years from now. It's morning in America 1/1/11.
                  Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
                  USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

It's gonna be a GREAT second half!

*****http://www.foxnews.com/images/340275/0_61_320x240_smoking_joint.jpg******

Comment

You know the band got out-banded the second game by a bunch of old retired farts from msu.! At least we could have had some crazy guy dancing and disrobing at the same time. That would have been fun.
                      There was one good thing this week. The old " let's go Tech" cheer started for a bit in the third of the michigan game. Not the effeminate sing songy one they use now, but the real one.I say bring this back.
                      MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                        You know the band got out-banded the second game by a bunch of old retired farts from msu.!
                        Everyone seated around me (upperdeck red line-ish) disagreed, as do I.

Comment

I saw Chris Conner during the warmup of the winter classic.
                          He is scratched. No reason to watch the game now

Comment

Originally posted by Huskiefan906 View Post
                            I saw Chris Conner during the warmup of the winter classic.
                            He is scratched. No reason to watch the game now
                            I wasn't going to watch it anyway. Regardless of the season he's having, I refuse to play a part in the NHL's Crosby slurpfest. If Conner had played, he'd probably have to score a hat trick to get a mention.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                              I wasn't going to watch it anyway. Regardless of the season he's having, I refuse to play a part in the NHL's Crosby slurpfest. If Conner had played, he'd probably have to score a hat trick to get a mention.
                              I love the winter classic but I do agree that the NHL Crosby Slurpfest is WAY too much.
                              Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

I see that gwoz has his post game comments filmed and put on the web. Wish we could do that, I really would like to see his face when he talks. And I wish He had a weekly press conference too. Not just 5 minutes on weds morning.If this is a high profile program, even in Houghton, then it needs to be a high profile program.
                                MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Working...
                                X