Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Severe Ronaldstorm Warning: the Michigan Tech 2010-11 Season Thread, Part the Second

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Severe Ronaldstorm Warning: the Michigan Tech 2010-11 Season Thread, Part the Sec

I saved my blood pressure by not attending this weekend.

If I remember correctly that is 4th place in 8 of the last 11 years.

That is pathetic people. MTU is a proud University with its alumni as leaders all over the country.

Do something to address the injuries and malcontents.....

I think there is a bit of hope this year with the younger players and the Captain coming back.

But, I do not see how anyone in the program can accept the losing.
    It is unbelievable how bad our program is. Strikingly bad. Awful, hideous, terrible.....

I'd even consider dumping the G.L.I. to avoid the humiliation.....
    How is that for a refresh on the G.L.I. Avoid a bye into the finals for MSU or UM.....

Comment

• Re: Severe Ronaldstorm Warning: the Michigan Tech 2010-11 Season Thread, Part the Sec

Originally posted by Yager View Post
      All bandwagoners please get off.
      Do you really think that there are any left at this point?

Comment

Originally posted by Huskiefan906 View Post
        Do something to address the injuries and malcontents.....
        We need to shoot one of them to make an example. This will make the rest work really hard and not care about injuries.

Comment

As sad as this is, does any party of anyone want to see Jamie with these underclassmen for another year? At times they seem somewhat promissing. I struggle with why can't Jamie find the right mix of Defense and Offense. We're were so defensive his first few years. Now we wonder where is the defense and blocking shots. Maybe I'm just still hoping Jamie is the answer instead of starting all over again, but the underclassmen do seem to be better than recent history.

Has anyone emailed Suzanne to express their displeasure with the team? I'm sure she already knows it's out there, but hearing it form alumni probably sinks in more.

Comment

It isn't just that we have not won in 13 games now, or that we are winless in 14. We have not led in a game in 617:14 of hockey. That would be ten full games and almost a full period, dating back to the Friday night game against Minnesota-Duluth on November 12th. How does a team go ten games without even being a head at any point? Put another way, we have just watched more than 28.5% of the entire season elapse with us either being tied or behind on the scoreboard.

There is not a single thing that Michigan Tech can hang its hat on. Nothing on offense, nothing on defense, nothing in net (with the exception of Robo last night). There is potential in all phases, sure, but what can anyone honestly say that the Huskies do well, with the exception of the power play?

We are on our way to another 7-9 win season, if we are lucky in the second half. And this is not acceptable, injuries or not. The freshman now have half a season, and we are going to start getting slowly healthier. It is time to show the restless fan base that there is something worth building on here, lest it be time to look in a different direction to change the losing culture of this team.
            Philbert
            ---------------
            Michigan Tech Hockey: _______?.

Formerly, and soon to be again, retired member of The Huskies Pep Band.
            GO HUSKIES, I am still waiting for Tech to win it all!

Comment

Michigan Tech 17/ 74; 23.0% on the power play good for 8th in the nation...I think thats something to hang their hat on.
              Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by mtu_huskies View Post
                Has anyone emailed Suzanne to express their displeasure with the team? I'm sure she already knows it's out there, but hearing it form alumni probably sinks in more.
                Wouldn't surprise me if Suzanne was getting angry emails on a near-daily basis.

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                  Michigan Tech 17/ 74; 23.0% on the power play good for 8th in the nation...I think thats something to hang their hat on.
                  well maybe, but the pp was terrible this weekend. Too much standing around.

The refs were no where near as good the second night. Tech did not have a pp until the third I don't believe. Tech also did not force msu to foul us, more jump would have done that.They beat us to the puck, had numerous opportunities in our zone where we were just disorganized, and were shiftier with the puck over all. We did not force them into making mistakes often enough and we gave away a ton of shots.Our fundamentals were not there near as well as the first night.

If anything we can hang our hat on our returning freshman. They played pretty good. We also approached the game differently. We pressured the puck more often in their end, and we did not do the same old dump and chase on the pp that we have done in the past. I thought we were moving in the right direction from that standpoint.
                  MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                    Too much standing around.

They beat us to the puck, had numerous opportunities in our zone where we were just disorganized, and were shiftier with the puck over all. .

I would guess that state won up around 80% of the battles for the puck in the corners and along the boards, even when tech out numbered them

Three of state's five goals where the direct result of sloppy clearing attempts!

mistakes...mistakes...mistakes...mistakes....mista kes....and so on and so on

Comment

Agreed 100%. I think that often we would bunch up too much along the boards and end up out of position, with the point, or slot open as a result. There is no need for three guys to be within 10 ft of the puck.Sometimes for whatever reason we would be in a positive position in those battles and still lose possession.
                      We are not good with our feet and often one needs to use the feet to keep the puck moving forward.If I remember right MacInnes had a bunch of drills where the feet were utilized.
                      MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

bandwagon? there is no f'in wagon to climb off of. we got no wagon. we don't even have a stinkin trail to follow.
                        Originally posted by mtu_huskies
                        "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
                        Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
                        Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

Originally posted by huskyfan View Post
                          this season has certainly blown up in our faces.
                          This outcome should be no surprise. The surprise wore off many years ago when the decline of MTU hockey became asypmtotic.

Last fall at an east coast college football game, I saw a gray haired fellow walking with a youngster that I assumed was his grandchild. Grandpa was wearing a retro MTU logo sweatshirt. Of course, I couldn't resist and approached him with an introduction. As we talked, it came out that he was a hockey alum from the early '70's, i.e. the era when winning was the expectation and not the surprise it is today. He described Tech's program now as "club hockey."

What has been surprising, actually astonishing, is how Tech hockey stalled and spiraled out of the sky while the two basketball teams and the football team achieved top ten rankings and reached the NCAA playoffs. Never in our most psychodelic, room-spinning, Stroh's induced benders could we imagine the basketball and football teams setting the standard for athletic success in Houghton. For someone whose first season of Tech hockey saw the NCAA championship trophy delivered to what was then called the Student Ice Arena, it is unthinkable to me that an activity joined at the hip to the Michigan Tech tradition and experience has failed so miserably. Frankly, the program is no longer expected to be successful. What else does Michigan Tech produce that compares to this lack of competitiveness?

Others in this forum mentioned a "culture of losing" has become entrenched in Houghton. I don't know enough about the current crop of players and coaches to know if they can climb out of what looks like one of those bottomless sinkholes in Hancock when a mine caves in. But the problem is more than the players and coaches. Someone isn't taking care of business. Someone doesn't understand that winning Tech hockey is one of those intrinsic things that contributed to the pride and cachet of being a Toot. At the rate we are going, I don't expect to live long enough to see the hockey program return to its tradition of winning. And that is sad. It's like watching my diploma irreversibly fade.
                          Last edited by The_Commissioner; 12-31-2010, 09:54 AM. Reason: spell check

Comment

Originally posted by The_Commissioner View Post
                            This outcome should be no surprise. The surprise wore off many years ago when the decline of MTU hockey became asypmtotic.

Last fall at an east coast college football game, I saw a gray haired fellow walking with a youngster that I assumed was his grandchild. Grandpa was wearing a retro MTU logo sweatshirt. Of course, I couldn't resist and approached him with an introduction. As we talked, it came out that he was a hockey alum from the early '70's, i.e. the era when winning was the expectation and not the surprise it is today. He described Tech's program now as "club hockey."

What has been surprising, actually astonishing, is how Tech hockey stalled and spiraled out of the sky while the two basketball teams and the football team achieved top ten rankings and reached the NCAA playoffs. Never in our most psychodelic, room-spinning, Stroh's induced benders could we imagine the basketball and football teams setting the standard for athletic success in Houghton. For someone whose first season of Tech hockey saw the NCAA championship trophy delivered to what was then called the Student Ice Arena, it is unthinkable to me that an activity joined at the hip to the Michigan Tech tradition and experience has failed so miserably. Frankly, the program is no longer expected to be successful. What else does Michigan Tech produce that compares to this lack of competitiveness?

Others in this forum mentioned a "culture of losing" has become entrenched in Houghton. I don't know enough about the current crop of players and coaches to know if they can climb out of what looks like one of those bottomless sinkholes in Hancock when a mine caves in. But the problem is more than the players and coaches. Someone isn't taking care of business. Someone doesn't understand that winning Tech hockey is one of those intrinsic things that contributed to the pride and cachet of being a Toot. At the rate we are going, I don't expect to live long enough to see the hockey program return to its tradition of winning. And that is sad. It's like watching my diploma irreversibly fade.
                            While I think the only thing Tech does well at hockey anymore, are excuses and moral victories, the college hockey landscape has changed drastically since the 1960's and 70's when the Huskies were winning championships. Better athletes, more programs, more money, more competition.

I'm a more recent alum (Watters and Sertich era), but I don't see where Tech is improving at all under Russell. Started off well under his tenure, but the win total has been regressing since then. However, I don't see who could improve the program at this point, and if it wasn't for WCHA and GLI welfare, I don't why it would still exist. I think most of Tech's problems, are in recruiting good players and coaching, but who wants to come to Houghton anymore?

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                              Wouldn't surprise me if Suzanne was getting angry emails on a near-daily basis.
                              And what does Suzanne have to say? Has she responded to anyone? What does Pres. Glenn have to say?

Whatever Russell has done hasn't worked so he's gone at the end of his contract. He's just hanging around for the paychecks.

The best way out of a No-Win situation is the quickest way so we should scrap the Mens program at the end of this season and replace it with a Womens hockey team. That way we could bow out of GLI gracefully while remaining as a member of the WCHA.
                              Last edited by Burnt Orange Husky; 12-31-2010, 01:44 PM.
                              "Don't believe everything you read on the Internet"
                              Abe Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by The_Commissioner View Post
                                What has been surprising, actually astonishing, is how Tech hockey stalled and spiraled out of the sky while the two basketball teams and the football team achieved top ten rankings and reached the NCAA playoffs. Never in our most psychodelic, room-spinning, Stroh's induced benders could we imagine the basketball and football teams setting the standard for athletic success in Houghton.
                                Not surprising when you consider that the basketball and football teams play in Division II. How well would they do in Div I playing against Michigan and Wisconsin or even Div I-AA against Appalachian State?

I'm afraid the days of Michigan Tech being competitive in Div I are over. Of course, how can tiny Colorado College do it?
                                "Don't believe everything you read on the Internet"
                                Abe Lincoln

Comment

Working...
                                X