Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Severe Ronaldstorm Warning: the Michigan Tech 2010-11 Season Thread, Part the Second

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Severe Ronaldstorm Warning: the Michigan Tech 2010-11 Season Thread, Part the Sec

Originally posted by MTUHatTrick84 View Post
    I have to disagree with JSR on this one as well. It does no good to look at a player that didn't go to Tech, or to look at the two "Russell's lost saviors". Why do we want to concentrate on the players that either cannot get into this school, or who obviously do not want to be here? Even if a player has ties to the area, that does not automatically mean that Tech is a good fit for the player, or vice-versa. I know nothing about the Trent situation, but really, would one player have made that much of a difference on this team?

We seem to do pretty well at bringing players in. We just aren't that strong at developing them beyond the freshman year.
    A couple corrections: Trent did go to Tech, and I wasn't the one who brought him up at the present; I believe you can thank F2... for that. But to provide background on why Trent's name ever originated is because I used him as an example of current coaching staff's recruiting woes- the most talented kid on campus at the time is playing in a local beer league because the staff doesn't think he's good enough or are too arrogant to pursue him.

The reason I compare him to the lost saviours is because the faithful on here always use the loss of these two impact players as part of the excuse for the failures over the past few years but are quick to discount other situations where the coaching staff's failures also contributed. The stats provided are just facts to back up that indeed, they passed on a very talented player, and yes he did have this talent while attending MTU.

Comment

• Re: Severe Ronaldstorm Warning: the Michigan Tech 2010-11 Season Thread, Part the Sec

Originally posted by JOHN SCOTT ROCKS View Post
      A couple corrections: Trent did go to Tech, and I wasn't the one who brought him up at the present; I believe you can thank F2... for that. But to provide background on why Trent's name ever originated is because I used him as an example of current coaching staff's recruiting woes- the most talented kid on campus at the time is playing in a local beer league because the staff doesn't think he's good enough or are too arrogant to pursue him.

The reason I compare him to the lost saviours is because the faithful on here always use the loss of these two impact players as part of the excuse for the failures over the past few years but are quick to discount other situations where the coaching staff's failures also contributed. The stats provided are just facts to back up that indeed, they passed on a very talented player, and yes he did have this talent while attending MTU.
      This is all fine jsr but why do you insist on making your point over and over again?. I mean do you think by repeating yourself infinitely you will get a different response?

I am pretty sure that there may be more to this than you are letting on, did jr do something to you at some point?
      MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
        I am pretty sure that there may be more to this than you are letting on, did jr do something to you at some point?
        He'd rather not talk about it. Russell did unspeakable things to him back in the late 80s - something about teaching him how to play bad positional defense when the Tech players visited his mite hockey class.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
          He'd rather not talk about it. Russell did unspeakable things to him back in the late 80s - something about teaching him how to play bad positional defense when the Tech players visited his mite hockey class.
          oh this is such a relief!.... I thought it might have been something.... uh...well... sexual in nature.

Comment

Originally posted by JOHN SCOTT ROCKS View Post

I didn't know that he was at Tech, so thanks for the information. I am not going to make excuses for anyone, maybe he was really late in his development or something. There had to be some reason why he wasn't given a shot, and only the coaching staff knows those reasons. Obviously, they would be derilict in their duties if they had a high quality hockey prospect at the school and didn't give him a shot without reason.

No coach is going to be perfect. Russell has brought in quality recruits, but he has also had some pretty bad misses in his time here. As I said earlier, I would really like to see more in the way of player development once they arrive on campus. That area, moreso than recruiting, is where this team's failures really lie.
            Philbert
            ---------------
            Michigan Tech Hockey: _______?.

Formerly, and soon to be again, retired member of The Huskies Pep Band.
            GO HUSKIES, I am still waiting for Tech to win it all!

Comment

In the DU thread they are talking about the uncertainty of gwoz staying and what would they do from here on. So....What would we do if we were jamie. How would we approach things. It would be a little different from what is going on in Denver. Sure instead of national championships we are talking about games, but a lot of what PS says applies here too.
              Jamie is coming here to Detroit every year for GLI, which is where the vast majority of the alumni live. They are hockey fans and understand hockey believe me. It is the only Tech hockey many of them see for the whole year. It's the biggest hockey series Tech plays for that very reason.

So I would say,
              1.Let's find more ways to get the program some visibility. I think one of the reasons the public/ students is/are apathetic generally is that they don't see the team or the coach all that much. One radio appearance per week is lame. Get on TV in the UP. Do a news conference every weds. have the players available for questions. Send hometown news releases when a kid scores goals or does anything noteworthy. Go to the dorms as a team, go to the Rozsa center as a team, ring bells like the Red Wings did,Have the JR show as a podcast once per week, Appear at the misfits meetings and have players appear, Ask students to show up and support the team. Do radio interviews in Detroit before the GLI. Be real aggressive marketing wise. Get people in the seats.
              2. Don't blame. Not the players, not the goalies, not the media, not the students, not injuries. Just speak the facts. Take a leaf from Jim leyland. He never ever says,
              " Brandon inge should have caught that ball, or Brandon inge struck out with the bases loaded and we could have won except for that. He covers for the players butts 100% of the time. Whatever critiques he has, he keeps inside.
              3.Make sure the players know just how much you care about them. Help them with school, speak to the teachers, call their folks when they do well. Call their old coach when they are making progress. Be involved in their issues. Go thru a wall for the players.
              4.Be creative on the ice. try new approaches to the pk for instance. ( I know we have done this since whitten arrived), if a team is vulnerable to a pressure fore-check, throw that at them every so often. Don't let them get comfortable with our system.
              5. Get with the captain often. Go over everything with him.

The average student at Tech has no idea of the hockey tradition. He maybe has never attended a game. If you go to some other schools like Notre Dame or Michigan, the tradition of sports teams is all over campus, not just at the ice arena. I mean touchdown jesus, it's 80 ft high. They have the four horsemen for sale in the bookstore on a T shirt.
              Let's do something that shows the typical student what Tech hockey tradition is. Detroit calls itself Hockeytown, and they use that as a promotional tool.It works believe me. Tech or Houghton could do something similar. " Welcome to Houghton, birthplace of Hockey" Have big paintings or statues or posters all over about Tech hockey.
              Believe me students and recruits notice this stuff, and so do alumni.

Comment

1.Let's find more ways to get the program some visibility. I think one of the reasons the public/ students is/are apathetic generally is that they don't see the team or the coach all that much.
                This is only a small part of the problem. The biggest part is our inability to win games. The Misfits recruit aggressively during orientation, and have little difficulty getting two standing sections to start the year, but once the losing streak starts everyone hops off the bandwagon.

Get on TV in the UP. Do a news conference every weds. have the players available for questions.
                Would be nice, but unlikely to happen. The only TV news station is in Marquette, and we all know who they would prefer to cover during their brief sports segment.

Send hometown news releases when a kid scores goals or does anything noteworthy. Go to the dorms as a team, go to the Rozsa center as a team, ring bells like the Red Wings did
                The hometown press releases might be a good idea, but that would require our SID to get off his arse and write them. Fire Ian!

Have the JR show as a podcast once per week
                AFAIK, the Drivetime broadcast is still available for free without signing up for Huskies Live. However that attempts to cover all of Tech athletics.

Appear at the misfits meetings and have players appear, Ask students to show up and support the team.
                IIRC, Russell and the team captains always show up to the first Misfits meeting of the year for a talk.

Do radio interviews in Detroit before the GLI.
                The Detroit sports media does not care about Michigan Tech. Most of them don't know their arse from a hole in the ground, let alone that the UP has three universities. Tech could win the national championship, and we'd be lucky to see a short blurb about it in the Free Press, on page 11C, immediately following the article about U of M women's soccer. Meanwhile, Michigan or MSU winning it all would probably get at least a mention on the front page of the Sports section. Win or lose, that's the way it will always be.

2. Don't blame. Not the players, not the goalies, not the media, not the students, not injuries. Just speak the facts. Take a leaf from Jim leyland. He never ever says,
                " Brandon inge should have caught that ball, or Brandon inge struck out with the bases loaded and we could have won except for that. He covers for the players butts 100% of the time. Whatever critiques he has, he keeps inside.
                Russell already speaks in generalities and about the whole team needing to be better after a loss. It is rare to hear him call a player out in a negative manner during his radio post-game, but he will if he thinks that a certain player had a truly dreadful game. Especially an upperclassman who should know better.

3.Make sure the players know just how much you care about them. Help them with school, speak to the teachers, call their folks when they do well. Call their old coach when they are making progress. Be involved in their issues. Go thru a wall for the players.
                I'm pretty sure Russell does most of this, and would not still be coaching here if he did not pay attention to his players. What happened with Soley and Kattelus was clearly the fault of their own selfishness. I don't know enough about the Schooley situation to comment.

5. Get with the captain often. Go over everything with him.
                See my comment on #3.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                  The Detroit sports media does not care about Michigan Tech. Most of them don't know their arse from a hole in the ground, let alone that the UP has three universities. Tech could win the national championship, and we'd be lucky to see a short blurb about it in the Free Press, on page 11C, immediately following the article about U of M women's soccer. Meanwhile, Michigan or MSU winning it all would probably get at least a mention on the front page of the Sports section. Win or lose, that's the way it will always be.
                  I don't think I have the game on tape or dvd but on FSN-Detroit back around 2002 or 2003, following an NMU versus Michigan or Michigan State game on FSN-D, during the WHOLE postgame show they kept referring to NMU as the Northern Michigan Huskies and used the MTU logo for our team.

Even funnier, the broadcast of the game used the correct name and logos, so you would think after the first couple screw ups in studio someone would have noticed. Nope.
                  Last edited by aparch; 12-22-2010, 12:40 PM.
                  “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by MTUHatTrick84 View Post
                    There had to be some reason why he wasn't given a shot, and only the coaching staff knows those reasons. .
                    The coaching staff told him to stop smoking and he didn't so he didn't make the team. He tried out several year, even played in a few black and gold games but obviously did not make the team.

Comment

Originally posted by Tech View Post
                      The coaching staff told him to stop smoking and he didn't so he didn't make the team. He tried out several year, even played in a few black and gold games but obviously did not make the team.
                      That explains it all - JOHN_SCOTT_ROCKS works for Philip Morris!

Augsburg College: Wait, there's another D-3 school whose name starts with "A"?

Originally posted by The Darkness:
                      I don't see you asking Beer Pong Horn if he practices a religion from the beer continent.

Originally posted by bigblue_dl:
                      Wow. Tech fans are such a-holes. I think I saw Beer Pong Horn kick a blind puppy once.

Boosh Factor (6-27-12): Summer Vacation

Comment

Originally posted by Tech View Post
                        So what you're saying is, the coaching staff made a perfectly reasonable conditioning request (one which is likely written into the team rules), and Trent couldn't or didn't want to quit the cancer sticks.

Originally posted by JOHN_SCOTT_ROCKS
                        Yep, an arrogant mistake on the coaching staff's part there JSR. Oh wait, I bet this guy doesn't know anything about what really happened, right?

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
                          I don't think I have the game on tape or dvd but on FSN-Detroit back around 2002 or 2003, following an NMU versus Michigan or Michigan State game on FSN-D, during the WHOLE postgame show they kept referring to NMU as the Northern Michigan Huskies and used the MTU logo for our team.

Even funnier, the broadcast of the game used the correct name and logos, so you would think after the first couple screw ups in studio someone would have noticed. Nope.
                          One better: Awhile back (maybe 8 to 10 years) in some promotional material they had MTU located in the Soo and used the Lakers logo!

Comment

Flashy man,,, this is for you!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cr89xbl26g

Comment

Bourne Blog reposted on Puck Daddy: "When your team sucks, only answer is self-deprecation"

Fans of bad teams are blue collar workers, a proud bunch that shows up every day and puts in the necessary work to build something great, generally while cursing out the very thing they're putting their effort into.

And like blue collar workers, we cling to laughter and booze.

Comment

Originally posted by Yager View Post
                                or over intelligent nerds??
                                Originally posted by mtu_huskies
                                "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
                                Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
                                Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

Working...
                                X