Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Severe Ronaldstorm Warning: the Michigan Tech 2010-11 Season Thread, Part the Second

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Severe Ronaldstorm Warning: the Michigan Tech 2010-11 Season Thread, Part the Sec

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
    Sorry for the double post. This is no surprise I guess,every team thinks their fans are the best in college hockey, except maybe DU which has a total of 4. I think they can be forgiven for the mistakes in atmosphere, but the ice surface, ugh. they have to fix that. I wonder what some of the other teams have to say about it. I wish we had a huge video capable scoreboard, just don't let mitch run it.
    we are getting a video capable scoreboard =)

that way we can see Tech suck on instant replay too

Comment

• Re: Severe Ronaldstorm Warning: the Michigan Tech 2010-11 Season Thread, Part the Sec

Originally posted by techcodemonkey View Post
      This

Comment

LOL, Im watching the BU/RPI game and RPI just had a 3 on 0. The play-by-play announcer commented that he's never seen a 3 on 0, he's obviously never watched a Tech game
        Originally posted by Twitch Boy
        Like the sign out front says, "the price of freedom is visible here."

Comment

• Originally posted by techcodemonkey View Post
          we are getting a video capable scoreboard =)

Where did you hear this?
          Originally posted by SCSU Euro
          What are you TALKING about? Best fans, best travelling, best insults nobody else understands, best talking in nerdy code. MTU rocks at like everything but winning hockey games.

Comment

Originally posted by Flashy Man View Post
            Where did you hear this?
            Clearly, not from the paint store.
            Always a Wildcat...
            Originally posted by Kepler
            If you quote the derp you are spreading the derp. Please help keep the board derp-free.

Comment

Thursday was bad. we don't usually sit so close to the bench, so it was nice to see the players and coaches up close. nobody looked happy. everybody looked tired and out of sorts. Doritos had a bit of a spark but then he went down hurt and the refs let him lay on the ice in agony for ... it seemed like forever. the mister and I worried.

THEN!! the good Huskies came out on Friday! whoa. there were some smiles and joking during warm up. the team had a bunch of jump. Genoe made some great saves. Rix. Stebner. Johnstone. Sova. Pietala. all the guys. playing their hearts out. DERON COUSENS! seriously played every other shift. I like these Huskies. the guys played really really hard.

I am sick and tired of hearing how the coach (es) have "lost the team". these are big boys. they may hate the coach's guts but they have their own individual pride to play for, teammates to play for, scholarships to play for, careers to play for. there are alot of guys on this team that aren't in trouble and are playing their hearts out. they are not pros or semi pros (like some college programs who will remain unnamed). they are students and juggling busy schedules, travel, a Div I sport and academics. they like being a part of this team and this program. they are good students, good guys and good hockey players. they have character.

(getting really wound up now)

and I'm getting sick of all this crap about the coaches. like they want to lose more games? like they aren't giving it all they have? like they have some magic bullet? like coaching is just those two hours behind the bench? no dealing with alumni, parents, students, recruits? no paperwork? no NCAA standards? no admin pressure? no travel hassles, no 2am calls about a player in trouble? no dealing with the donors, no taking calls from disgruntled fans, academic problems, equipment problems, personnel problems, injuries, families, townies and gownies, goalies and girlfriends, the press and the pressure? yeah, sure, fire 'em all and hire Scotty Bowman. the players loved him.

any talk of moving to another league is way premature. with the Big Ten coming soon there may be lots of changes. I'm sure we will stay with the WCHA until it gets sorted out.

remember when Tech was the dangerous team to play? we were the "any given" weekend team, who might be losers, but still could sweep you in your own house?
              here's what Dean Blais said about our team : "Tough game...tough game. They came back and showed a lot of character." this team gets more respect from opponents coaches than from their own fans.

we are Tech fans. we have a proud tradition. we have SISU. the players get up every week and carry on. why don't we fans do that too?

ok. I'm done now.
              Originally posted by mtu_huskies
              "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
              Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
              Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

When we keep it close, we always "show a lot of character" in the eyes of opposing coaches. We don't do a lot of winning though.

Have some more Kool-Aid.

Comment

Originally posted by Flashy Man View Post
                  Where did you hear this?
                  I has connections (when you work for the university, as long as you're not the janitorial staff, you hear stuff) however, that was a bit ago, so I wouldn't be surprised if they back out due to the team going through a wood-chipper

Comment

I am not going to argue with you, huskyfan. I like your optimism, I like your fire for this team. You bring up great points.

Nobody wants to lose. But, my point is that we have a culture of it. There needs to be some kind of change when you do the exact same thing every single year. Is it not said that insanity is doing the same things over and over, and expecting a different result?

There is absolutely no reason why Michigan Tech should completely fall apart every single November and December, without fail. Winning less than 19% of your games in two months of the season (average of many years) is unacceptable. Double-digit winless streaks in 5 of 8 years is not acceptable. I said it before: Once is an aberration, twice is a trend, and more than that is a culture.

You said yourself that the team looked unhappy and out-of-sorts before Thursday night's game. Sure, they came out much better Friday. But that just says to me that the team was mentally unprepared for Thursday. I make no allegations about what that means for this team, but to me it shows a large amount of inconsistency for this team, which we have mentioned many many times in the past.

We show signs of mental toughness. We battle back at times and get back into games, but we also are prone to let the wheels fall off in some games. Our players lose a bit of focus, and it results in a breakdown, and this team is not good enough to overcome the breakdowns.

And so the need is to change the culture of losing. The losing has resulted in apathy, self-pity, and sarcastic humor from fans. To show that the status quo is not acceptable, we need to make a change.

I have nothing against Coach Russell as a person. I do not question his work ethic. I do not question his passion. But a good person and a good coach might find himself in the wrong situation, and the results will not be there. Is that the case here? He is an alum, but that does not mean that coaching the Huskies is the right position for him.

He has the rest of the season to prove that he can be the one who changes this culture. But, 8 years later, we are looking at some of the same trends we have seen in the last 30 years.
                    -----

The recent results are made even more frustrating by the fact that our rival, who also happens to be a 'young team', is playing well as of late. Why are they able to have more success as a young team than we are? Is Marquette >>> Houghton? Are the academics that much harder here?

Of course, as I type this, NMU has gone from leading Notre Dame 3-0 on the road in the 3rd period to 3-2 with 5 minutes left.

And, very nicely, Notre Dame has a free video broadcast. So, bonus college hockey this weekend!
                    Last edited by MTUHatTrick84; 12-11-2010, 08:35 PM.
                    Philbert
                    ---------------
                    Michigan Tech Hockey: _______?.

Formerly, and soon to be again, retired member of The Huskies Pep Band.
                    GO HUSKIES, I am still waiting for Tech to win it all!

Comment

I'm not mad at anybody. (laughs maniacally) I'm just mad!

and I love the sarcastic humor.

wish there was an easy answer.
                      Boosh Factor 4

Comment

Question tonight: Does Michigan Tech make it to ten wins this year? By my calculation, there should be 21 regular season games left, and we need to win 33% of them to make it to double digits. Through the first 15 games, we have won 20% of our games (.267 is the winning percentage due to the two ties).

Since I don't really want to sleep yet, I am going to try to break it down how I see it. Coach says you can't look past your next opponent, but I am going to anyway:

I think to get to 10, we need to at least win one of the next 3 games. Most likely, the best shot will come against State in the GLI 3rd Place Game. We could possibly take out NMU next Friday, but they are certainly not the same team that we faced in October. The game against UofM? Did you see them play today?

By the end of December, we will have 3-5 wins. I am going to be an optimist and say 4.

Moving into the second half of the schedule, we go to SCSU to start January. We should maybe get a few players back. SCSU is just barely better than us this year, but there is something about a really horrible history of Tech playing St. Cloud. Something has to give, so I say split. 5 wins (and also getting to 5 conference points).

Home against St. Lawrence University to wrap up our non-con schedule. They are at 4-8-3, but who really knows anything about them? I certainly don't. I say that Tech wins one of the games, and call a tie in the other game. 6 wins (but still 5 conference points).

Back-to-back home series against Duluth and Wisconsin. 1-2-1. 7 wins on the season, and up to 8 conference points.

Road to Anchorage. Anchorage isn't terrible anymore. Tech swept, or takes one point. (7 wins, 8-9 conference points).

Winter Carnival against Bemidji? Looking at the Beaver's results, I see a wildly inconsistent team. But the did sweep Omaha. But it is Winter Carnival. Split? Sure, 8 wins, 10-11 conference points.

Go to Denver. Go to Minnesota. Likely not happening in the mile-high city. Perhaps in the Twin Cities we pull a win. 9 wins, 12-13 conference points.

Close out the regular season with a home series against North Dakota. Unless some writer calls us "perennial doormats" and that motivates us, I say things end pretty quietly at the Mac.

End of the Regular Season: 9 wins. 12-13 conference points. Guaranteed to be in the basement, with a vacation to Duluth, Denver, or North Dakota to end the campaign.

So, what do you think. If you were to set the over/under at 10 wins right now, would you take the over or the under? Where do you think the discrepancies will be with how I think the season will play out? I tried my best to get us to the 10 win mark, but I really was not able to.

Just trying to get a bit of conversation going that isn't directly negative or coach related. The athletic department will need to do the legwork on the coaches, and perhaps it might be best to hold off on trying to name the replacement for now. That talk is depressing, especially when we assume that nobody is going to want to commit career suicide by signing on with the Huskies.
                        Philbert
                        ---------------
                        Michigan Tech Hockey: _______?.

Formerly, and soon to be again, retired member of The Huskies Pep Band.
                        GO HUSKIES, I am still waiting for Tech to win it all!

Comment

Originally posted by MTUHatTrick84 View Post
                          Question tonight: Does Michigan Tech make it to ten wins this year? By my calculation, there should be 21 regular season games left, and we need to win 33% of them to make it to double digits. Through the first 15 games, we have won 20% of our games (.267 is the winning percentage due to the two ties).

Since I don't really want to sleep yet, I am going to try to break it down how I see it. Coach says you can't look past your next opponent, but I am going to anyway:

I think to get to 10, we need to at least win one of the next 3 games. Most likely, the best shot will come against State in the GLI 3rd Place Game. We could possibly take out NMU next Friday, but they are certainly not the same team that we faced in October. The game against UofM? Did you see them play today?

By the end of December, we will have 3-5 wins. I am going to be an optimist and say 4.

Moving into the second half of the schedule, we go to SCSU to start January. We should maybe get a few players back. SCSU is just barely better than us this year, but there is something about a really horrible history of Tech playing St. Cloud. Something has to give, so I say split. 5 wins (and also getting to 5 conference points).

Home against St. Lawrence University to wrap up our non-con schedule. They are at 4-8-3, but who really knows anything about them? I certainly don't. I say that Tech wins one of the games, and call a tie in the other game. 6 wins (but still 5 conference points).

Back-to-back home series against Duluth and Wisconsin. 1-2-1. 7 wins on the season, and up to 8 conference points.

Road to Anchorage. Anchorage isn't terrible anymore. Tech swept, or takes one point. (7 wins, 8-9 conference points).

Winter Carnival against Bemidji? Looking at the Beaver's results, I see a wildly inconsistent team. But the did sweep Omaha. But it is Winter Carnival. Split? Sure, 8 wins, 10-11 conference points.

Go to Denver. Go to Minnesota. Likely not happening in the mile-high city. Perhaps in the Twin Cities we pull a win. 9 wins, 12-13 conference points.

Close out the regular season with a home series against North Dakota. Unless some writer calls us "perennial doormats" and that motivates us, I say things end pretty quietly at the Mac.

End of the Regular Season: 9 wins. 12-13 conference points. Guaranteed to be in the basement, with a vacation to Duluth, Denver, or North Dakota to end the campaign.

So, what do you think. If you were to set the over/under at 10 wins right now, would you take the over or the under? Where do you think the discrepancies will be with how I think the season will play out? I tried my best to get us to the 10 win mark, but I really was not able to.

Just trying to get a bit of conversation going that isn't directly negative or coach related. The athletic department will need to do the legwork on the coaches, and perhaps it might be best to hold off on trying to name the replacement for now. That talk is depressing, especially when we assume that nobody is going to want to commit career suicide by signing on with the Huskies.
                          Tech pretty much needs to sweep St. Lawrence to have any hope of salvaging this season. Not that I haven't already resigned to being in the cellar, but losing to WCHA teams is one thing; losing to mid- to bottom-level ECAC teams? That's a big problem.
                          Boosh Factor: 11

Michigan Tech Autographed Goal Pucks

Comment

well I really like Huskyfans post. To change the coach is a huge undertaking and since the last 7 have failed to win much, why do we think that changing this one will result in something different?
                            Still there are issues to be addressed. Will he win more than 10 games? Will we get healthy.? will we play hard? will we keep getting better?
                            I don't think 8 wins is acceptable but I think there has to be some leeway for all the injuries.
                            I'd like to see us start to score more goals, and have a really good recruiting class. That would go a long way to making me feel better.
                            MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by huskyfan View Post
                              Thursday was bad. we don't usually sit so close to the bench, so it was nice to see the players and coaches up close. nobody looked happy. everybody looked tired and out of sorts. Doritos had a bit of a spark but then he went down hurt and the refs let him lay on the ice in agony for ... it seemed like forever. the mister and I worried.

THEN!! the good Huskies came out on Friday! whoa. there were some smiles and joking during warm up. the team had a bunch of jump. Genoe made some great saves. Rix. Stebner. Johnstone. Sova. Pietala. all the guys. playing their hearts out. DERON COUSENS! seriously played every other shift. I like these Huskies. the guys played really really hard.

I am sick and tired of hearing how the coach (es) have "lost the team". these are big boys. they may hate the coach's guts but they have their own individual pride to play for, teammates to play for, scholarships to play for, careers to play for. there are alot of guys on this team that aren't in trouble and are playing their hearts out. they are not pros or semi pros (like some college programs who will remain unnamed). they are students and juggling busy schedules, travel, a Div I sport and academics. they like being a part of this team and this program. they are good students, good guys and good hockey players. they have character.

(getting really wound up now)

and I'm getting sick of all this crap about the coaches. like they want to lose more games? like they aren't giving it all they have? like they have some magic bullet? like coaching is just those two hours behind the bench? no dealing with alumni, parents, students, recruits? no paperwork? no NCAA standards? no admin pressure? no travel hassles, no 2am calls about a player in trouble? no dealing with the donors, no taking calls from disgruntled fans, academic problems, equipment problems, personnel problems, injuries, families, townies and gownies, goalies and girlfriends, the press and the pressure? yeah, sure, fire 'em all and hire Scotty Bowman. the players loved him.

any talk of moving to another league is way premature. with the Big Ten coming soon there may be lots of changes. I'm sure we will stay with the WCHA until it gets sorted out.

remember when Tech was the dangerous team to play? we were the "any given" weekend team, who might be losers, but still could sweep you in your own house?
                              here's what Dean Blais said about our team : "Tough game...tough game. They came back and showed a lot of character." this team gets more respect from opponents coaches than from their own fans.

we are Tech fans. we have a proud tradition. we have SISU. the players get up every week and carry on. why don't we fans do that too?

ok. I'm done now.
                              Best post I've read in a couple years.

Comment

from what I've heard next years class is supposed to be even better that this years.
                                Boosh Factor 4

Comment

Working...
                                X