This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: All Things Denver XXIX

DU up to #3 in the all important pairwise. Only behind Yale and UMD.

Pairwise

DU is at the exact halfway point of the season and would have a #1 seed in the national tourney if the season were to end today. Still lots of work to do but for a re-building year DU has probably exceeded most of our expectations in terms of wins and losses.
    Last edited by du78; 12-05-2010, 09:47 AM.
    DU HOCKEY 1958 1960 1961 1968 1969 2004 2005 2017 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU LACROSSE 2015 NCAA CHAMPIONS

MATT CARLE WINNER OF 2006 HOBEY BAKER AWARD

Geoff Paukovich: That's why I came to Denver, to beat CC.

Comment

Originally posted by du78 View Post
      DU up to #3 in the all important pairwise. Only behind Yale and UMD.

Pairwise

DU is at the exact halfway point of the season and would have a #1 seed in the national tourney if the season were to end today. Still lots of work to do but for a re-building year DU has probably exceeded most of our expectations in terms of wins and losses.
      As Gwoz would say, "No Question."

If the team can stay healthy, they look like a team who can contend for hardware. If Brittain can stay above .920 the rest of the way, DU will be in most games they play with a chance to win. The schedule the rest of the way looks manageable, with the Pioneers being the better team against most, if not all, of the remaining opponents. DU will lose some more games to be sure, but every game remaining is winnable.

The big emphasis for the second half needs to be puck management in all zones and special teams improvement. DU is about #20-25 nationally in PP and PK and those numbers need to go up.

Comment

Another fun Pioneer/Bulldog weekend. These two teams probably haven't seen the last of each other this year.
        Bulldog Hockey: 2011 National Champions! Finally!!!

Comment

Originally posted by UMDBulldogHockeyIsKing View Post
          Another fun Pioneer/Bulldog weekend. These two teams probably haven't seen the last of each other this year.
          I agree. These two teams are very close. A split was the right result with each team scoring six goals on the weekend. UMD is the more accomplished and deeper offensive team and has better special teams. DU has slightly better goaltending. Condsidering UMD was playing the last weekend at the DECC, I am thrilled DU was able to get a solid result.

Comment

Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post
            As Gwoz would say, "No Question."

If the team can stay healthy, they look like a team who can contend for hardware. If Brittain can stay above .920 the rest of the way, DU will be in most games they play with a chance to win. The schedule the rest of the way looks manageable, with the Pioneers being the better team against most, if not all, of the remaining opponents. DU will lose some more games to be sure, but every game remaining is winnable.

The big emphasis for the second half needs to be puck management in all zones and special teams improvement. DU is about #20-25 nationally in PP and PK and those numbers need to go up.

No question there.
            Two close, hard fought games against the #1 team. Can't really complain about a split. Except for the penalties or lack thereof in Saturday's game.
            GO DU !!!

Comment

I agree. These two teams are very close. A split was the right result with each team scoring six goals on the weekend. UMD is the more accomplished and deeper offensive team and has better special teams. DU has slightly better goaltending. Condsidering UMD was playing the last weekend at the DECC, I am thrilled DU was able to get a solid result.
              Wait, this was the last weekend at the DECC? Why didn't Jay mention it? Somebody needs to talk to that guy about keeping us informed.
              2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

DU beat Cal-State Northridge in basketball on Saturday. Now DU is 2-6 and off to a slow start, but the really interesting thing is that DU had over 5,400 fans in attendence for a Saturday afternoon game against a non-marquee opponent. That's an amazing turnout, and they all got to see DU win...

If the Pioneers can keep winning, perhaps this kind of turnout will not be unusual....

Comment

DU beat Cal-State Northridge in basketball on Saturday. Now DU is 2-6 and off to a slow start, but the really interesting thing is that DU had over 5,400 fans in attendence for a Saturday afternoon game against a non-marquee opponent. That's an amazing turnout, and they all got to see DU win...

If the Pioneers can keep winning, perhaps this kind of turnout will not be unusual....
                  I assume that was legitimate attendance, not as a result of papering the house. In my day it would take two or three homes to get 5400 into the old fieldhouse.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Pio View Post
                    I assume that was legitimate attendance, not as a result of papering the house. In my day it would take two or three homes to get 5400 into the old fieldhouse.
                    Think you're OVER estimating the crowd back when.
                    GO DU !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Old Pio View Post
                      I didn't see or hear about any special promotions for the CSUN game. Just an otherwise empty local sports calendar...

Comment

Originally posted by vizoroo View Post
                        Think you're OVER estimating the crowd back when.
                        Could be, Byron Beck and Harry Hollines notwithstanding.

Comment

Chambers reporting on Bennett's injury.
                          http://blogs.denverpost.com/sports/2...bennett/14511/

Did anyone else notice--No coverage on the Post's internet addition. Come on guys we did beat the #1 team in the nation.
                          GO DU !!!

Comment

Originally posted by vizoroo View Post
                            Chambers reporting on Bennett's injury.
                            http://blogs.denverpost.com/sports/2...bennett/14511/

Did anyone else notice--No coverage on the Post's internet addition. Come on guys we did beat the #1 team in the nation.
                            Post didn't send Chambers or any other reporter to Duluth
                            DU HOCKEY 1958 1960 1961 1968 1969 2004 2005 2017 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU LACROSSE 2015 NCAA CHAMPIONS

MATT CARLE WINNER OF 2006 HOBEY BAKER AWARD

Geoff Paukovich: That's why I came to Denver, to beat CC.

Comment

Matt Carle got his first goal of the season in the Flyers 3-1 win over the Isles.
                              GO DU !!!

Comment

DU's women's basketball team beat #23 Vanderbilt 70-65.
                                GO DU !!!

Comment

Working...
                                X