This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boston University 2010-11 part II - The Hunt For Red November

a) band question? can't recall. i am not liking them anyhows until they play 'Help Yourself' by Tom Jones.

b) is Warsofsky ill? last couple games have been !!!

c) any chance nieto buries that pass from trivino on tonight's 2nd goal?!? i'll answer that for you, NO. about time someone who makes decisions read me and listened to mookie and got him off the line with #s 9 & 10. do y'all now see and appreciate what trivino has been doing out there?!? of course the other lines now are playing *meh*. one at a time.

d) tonight seems to be the hockey teams homage to the long lost football team. every time they broke into the zone the puck carrier ran a corner route instead of a post route. let's not do that anymore.

e) would you rather they split the normal way this weekend and were now 7-1-3, or ok with the 6-0-4?

g) friday at the lake is on tv. saturday i am going to hang at the country club for free food and booze... no game for me. hope they win!
    a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Re: Boston University 2010-11 part II - The Hunt For Red November

a) While discussing the band. The new guy also has to go back to pounding the drum and getting the students to chant "Go BU!" after the opponent scores. Tempo's are still off.
    b) Is Hokydad behind this?
    c) Is Nieto channeling Vinny?
    d) Speaking of football, did you see the the Badgers dropped an 83 on the Hoosiers!? 83!!!!?? (sorry, got nothing here, 'cause I didn't see the game.)
    e) Mookie, a tie is always better than a loss. Always.
    g) Are you going to have some Grey Poupon on your hotdog at the country club? Don't forget to wear your red and white argyle.
    OT
    h) I'm kind of enjoying how much Beagle fans are getting their panties in a bundle over USCHO's BU-centric coverage. Oh, yeah, and wasn't this Beagle team supposed to win 40 this year? (I know, I know, They could finish 8th and they'll still come back to life in March.)
    It Happened!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Bomber View Post
      b) Is Hokydad behind this?
      h) I'm kind of enjoying how much Beagle fans are getting their panties in a bundle over USCHO's BU-centric coverage. Oh, yeah, and wasn't this Beagle team supposed to win 40 this year? (I know, I know, They could finish 8th and they'll still come back to life in March.)
      b) swear to god there was a dude standing by the corner boards with a black jacket on and his hands in his pocket between 1 & 2 periods. he was alone, then talked with one of the ice crew when they come off. i would have laid money it was him!!! was gonna txt scarlet to look over and get her thoughts.
      h) wanna run that by scarlet too? add that our boys could finish 1st and host them in the QF...
      a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Chris was absolutely amazing to the band, the student section, and the BU community as a whole and I, and many others I'm sure, will always remember him, but give the new director some time. Think back to you on your first day at work or the first major presentation you gave, now think of the best you've ever seen someone do a job similar to yours or the best presentation you've ever witnessed, that's essentially the comparison you're making between Chris and Zach.

Have I had my moments where something the band did this year frustrated me? Sure. But they are in a better position than when Chris took over and Zach worked directly with him for years and since Chris isn't an option anymore Zach is the closest thing available and I'm so amazingly thankful we have him, imagine if someone came in who had been to only a handful, or possibly even zero, BU hockey games and became the director. That's what we'd be looking at if Zach wasn't here. Many of the things Chris did (moving the band from their designated spot at the Beanpot without approval from anyone in the administration) he wouldn't have felt comfortable doing as a newbie so with tenure comes more job security and ability to break from the script.

Best. Band. Ever.
        Last edited by Agganis; 11-14-2010, 01:00 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Agganis View Post
          Chris was absolutely amazing to the band, the student section, and the BU community as a whole and I, and many others I'm sure, will always remember him, but give the new director some time. Think back to you on your first day at work or the first major presentation you gave, now think of the best you've ever seen someone do a job similar to yours or the best presentation you've ever witnessed, that's essentially the comparison you're making between Chris and Zach.

Have I had my moments where something the band did this year frustrated me? Sure. But they are in a better position than when Chris took over and Zach worked directly with him for years and since Chris isn't an option anymore Zach is the closest thing available and I'm so amazingly thankful we have him, imagine if someone came in who had been to only a handful, or possibly even zero, BU hockey games and became the director. That's what we'd be looking at if Zach wasn't here. Many of the things Chris did (moving the band from their designated spot at the Beanpot without approval from anyone in the administration) he wouldn't have felt comfortable doing as a newbie so with tenure comes more job security and ability to break from the script.

Best. Band. Ever.
          +1. I know Zach personally, and he's been heavily associated with the band for as long as I can remember and a really good guy. He'd also been shadowing Chris at a bunch of hockey games over the last couple of years and ran the band himself for some basketball games. I've noticed he's been hit by spotty band attendance at a couple of games this year as well. Give him some time to work out some of the kinks and I'm confident he'll have them in top shape. The framework is there and he's fully aware of the special role the band plays during the games, their relationship with the students and the rest of the crow, and needs some time to put his own signature on it.

As for the game, better tie than last night. Depending on who's blog you read, the officiating was bad, but for different reasons. MC guy says more should've been called on us and that some MC penalties weren't warranted because of what they didn't call on us. Freep blog says they missed loads of obvious calls that should've been made. Either way, another bad night for the refs, this time for a different reason. Inconsistently called, though as MC guy pointed out, it was nice to see them let the teams play for the last 10-15 minutes without any power plays. Honestly, I'll reiterate what I wrote in the last thread, I wished Benedetto were there tonight. Though he has his tendency to start making really stupid nitpicky calls, he is able to control an overly chippy and physical game better than anyone else, and rarely does a game he officiates get way out of hand, as it did Friday night.

Lawler looked nicer, but *** was with their band? They were stuck up in some enclosed room with a few open windows, then they played PA music over them. Stupid. And what's their ground rule on the puck being flipped into the rafters? Sometimes they called it if it was close, other times not.
          time to write new history

Comment

Originally posted by slurpees View Post
            +1. I know Zach personally, and he's been heavily associated with the band for as long as I can remember and a really good guy. He'd also been shadowing Chris at a bunch of hockey games over the last couple of years and ran the band himself for some basketball games. I've noticed he's been hit by spotty band attendance at a couple of games this year as well. Give him some time to work out some of the kinks and I'm confident he'll have them in top shape. The framework is there and he's fully aware of the special role the band plays during the games, their relationship with the students and the rest of the crow, and needs some time to put his own signature on it.

As for the game, better tie than last night. Depending on who's blog you read, the officiating was bad, but for different reasons. MC guy says more should've been called on us and that some MC penalties weren't warranted because of what they didn't call on us. Freep blog says they missed loads of obvious calls that should've been made. Either way, another bad night for the refs, this time for a different reason. Inconsistently called, though as MC guy pointed out, it was nice to see them let the teams play for the last 10-15 minutes without any power plays. Honestly, I'll reiterate what I wrote in the last thread, I wished Benedetto were there tonight. Though he has his tendency to start making really stupid nitpicky calls, he is able to control an overly chippy and physical game better than anyone else, and rarely does a game he officiates get way out of hand, as it did Friday night.

Lawler looked nicer, but *** was with their band? They were stuck up in some enclosed room with a few open windows, then they played PA music over them. Stupid. And what's their ground rule on the puck being flipped into the rafters? Sometimes they called it if it was close, other times not.
            My jaw dropped in the press conferences when Dennehy complained about all the hooks missed against BU. I was tempted to ask, "So... did you also see all the slashes, cross checks and charges your guys got away with behind the play and after the whistle?" Either way, the officiating was atrocious at best this weekend. Without question the worst back-to-back officiated games I've seen in my 4 years at BU. Last night didn't get as out of hand as Friday night, but there were just so many missed calls. I hope some day an officiating crew has the balls to call all the annoying, unnecessary BS Merrimack tries after every whistle. They would literally spend the entire game playing 3-on-5.

Yeah, that Merrimack band situation was laughable.

It seemed to me that anything that hit or went through the rafters was a dead puck. I know two pucks actually hit them, but another was blown dead simply for going over a bar without even hitting it.

And touche to what Agganis said about the BU band. Give it time.
            Places I've seen a college hockey game: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Bright Center, Consol Energy Center, Conte Forum, DCU Center, Fenway Park, Gutterson Fieldhouse, Houston Field House, Lawler Arena, Madison Square Garden, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Schneider Arena, Scottrade Center, Sears Centre, Tampa Bay Times Forum, TD Bank Sports Center, TD Garden, Tsongas Center, Tully Forum, Verizon Center, Verizon Wireless Arena, Walter Brown Arena, Wells Fargo Center, Whittemore Center

Comment

Wow, lots of band talk. I wasn't dumping on the guy (band) just pointing out that there's room for improvement.

It seems we didn't learn very much this weekend. Merrimack is still MerriHack. BU still has that never-say-die mojo (coming back from 3-1 last night.) and the officials suck.

BU Hockey: Six, Bagle, Sister Kissin'
              It Happened!!!!

Comment

Just another reminder that I'm looking to recruit 2 or so people for a road trip out to Chicago during winter break for the tournament BU is playing in. I will be taking my car, but looking for some trip-mates. Anyone interested, email me at dak879@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by slurpees View Post
                  Lawler looked nicer, but *** was with their band? They were stuck up in some enclosed room with a few open windows, then they played PA music over them. Stupid.
                  Random thoughts on a cloudy day:

1. Are you sure that was a band on that shelf up there? From where I stood I thought they were department-store-window automanons.

2. Hard to believe, but we're just about at the quarter pole for the season. (Not quite, I hope.) The string of ties isn't what anybody is looking for, but what a contrast with last year. Mid-November 2009 the Terriers were 3-7-0 25 GF 33 GA. This season it's 6-0-4 (.800), with 30 GF and only 21 GA. Net-net that's a positive swing of 17, or 1.7 goals per game.

3. It's still early, but it looks like some good teams won't get home ice in March. Maine and BC are near-locks, I think, and I like what we've seen from BU so far, but UNH, Merrimack, and probably VT are also in the hunt. And whoever does make it will have to battle to get to the Garden, especially the teams in the 3rd and 4th slots.

Comment

Originally posted by goalguard View Post
                    3. It's still early, but it looks like some good teams won't get home ice in March. Maine and BC are near-locks, I think, and I like what we've seen from BU so far, but UNH, Merrimack, and probably VT are also in the hunt. And whoever does make it will have to battle to get to the Garden, especially the teams in the 3rd and 4th slots.
                    I agree, though I'm not quite sure I'd put UVM in that category, they just got their first conference win last night on their sixth try. However, don't look now but PC seems to be hanging around a bit. I'm sure Jon could enlighten us as to how and why they'll end up finishing last, but they seem to not suck that much. Looks like once again there will be quite a dropoff from team number 6 to team number 7 making finishing in the top two spots that much more enticing.
                    time to write new history

Comment

As for Nieto, he's only 17 and has been playing hard. I'm hoping that once he gets off the schneid the goals will come in bunches. I feel the same way about Wade Megan. Sophs have to step up for it to be anoutstanding season.

Comment

Originally posted by CDRAL View Post
                        As for Nieto, he's only 17 and has been playing hard. I'm hoping that once he gets off the schneid the goals will come in bunches. I feel the same way about Wade Megan. Sophs have to step up for it to be anoutstanding season.
                        In the first period of last night's game, when it already 0-2, Megan carried the puck in, had a clear shooting lane but passed instead. I had the sense a the time that he was feeling snake-bit having had a lot of shots but nothing to show for it. When he scored a little later, it was effort-goal with some nice backhand finesse. No time really to think. I hope that got the monkey off his back.

Comment

Bump. Biggest weekend of the season thus far coming up.

Comment

Originally posted by Bomber View Post
                            Wow, lots of band talk. I wasn't dumping on the guy (band) just pointing out that there's room for improvement.
                            It wasn't a shot at anyone, sorry if you took it that way, and yes I agree there is room for improvement, I'd just be shocked if there wasn't 5 games into a new regime.

Moving on to this weekend (since I'm sure everyone has had their fill of band talk by now, my bad), BU is on a 3 game tie streak, the last time they had 3 straight ties...they also tied their next game.... then scored 21 goals in the next 3 games. I'd be a fine with a similar result.

Comment

We're #2!! We're #2!!!

I'm actually surprised we're not a little lower.

Comment

Working...
                              X