X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Boston University 2010-11 part II - The Hunt For Red November

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
    I would like to trade you out of this thread for hokydad. That seems like a nice even swap!
    Originally posted by Hokydad View Post
    those were someone elses words, not his.

anonymous is the way of the world in many situations.

He didnt create this trainwreck, he is just reporting it
    Ok that was just downright uncanny...

Comment

Originally posted by slurpees View Post
      FWIW, I have a friend who is very peripherally connected to the team who made a comment to me profusely stating that Glass was lying through his teeth in some of his comments, namely with respect to the studying at the library story.
      Yay, more anonymity. Please coordinate a meeting between this anonymous source (Mrs. Parker?) and a BU reporter. I think it could be up on the web site today

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
      I would like to trade you out of this thread for hokydad. That seems like a nice even swap!
      LOL

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
        Yay, more anonymity. Please coordinate a meeting between this anonymous source (Mrs. Parker?) and a BU reporter. I think it could be up on the web site today
        The identity of my friend isn't relevant. I said it was someone very peripherally associated with the team, so it's clear that the person is not someone with close connections, and may have heard the story secondhand, etc, making the story entirely hearsay, mostly a rumor, and not at all confirmed to be factual. So if I said this person is Bob Smith, the guy who makes coffee for the men's basketball coach, or Ollie Williams, who works on the Agganis conversion crew and overheard players talking after a game in a tunnel one night, that's not relevant. Also, I didn't ask my friend if I could post this information, so that's another reason why I didn't list a name or position.
        time to write new history

Comment

Originally posted by KnowItAll View Post
          really, and you printed a one-sided smear?
          How long till Jackie finds someone else to fill your spot in the press box at games?

any anonymous players' words are not worth the pixels you display them with.
          Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated.
          Places I've seen a college hockey game: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Bright Center, Consol Energy Center, Conte Forum, DCU Center, Fenway Park, Gutterson Fieldhouse, Houston Field House, Lawler Arena, Madison Square Garden, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Schneider Arena, Scottrade Center, Sears Centre, Tampa Bay Times Forum, TD Bank Sports Center, TD Garden, Tsongas Center, Tully Forum, Verizon Center, Verizon Wireless Arena, Walter Brown Arena, Wells Fargo Center, Whittemore Center

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
            I was just trying to think of the BC list...

Schneider
            Gerbe
            Ferriero
            Smith

I think that's it
            Boyle
            S. Gionta
            Harrold

Comment

Originally posted by Federal League View Post
              Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated.
              I thought it was a great scoop on your part. My only question is did you let Parker know you were writing this and give him the opportunity to give his side of the story? I agree that anonymous player quotes are worthless. Glass put his name behind his quotes, but I was wondering if Parker 'no commented' you or if you even gave him the chance to.

Comment

Originally posted by Slasher7 View Post
                I thought it was a great scoop on your part. My only question is did you let Parker know you were writing this and give him the opportunity to give his side of the story? I agree that anonymous player quotes are worthless. Glass put his name behind his quotes, but I was wondering if Parker 'no commented' you or if you even gave him the chance to.
                I dont want to speak for FL, but I'm pretty sure Parker's "no comment"-ed him numerous times already on this subject.
                time to write new history

Comment

Serious question for BU fans...Do you feel that having Jack Parker as coach right now is helping or hurting recruiting? results?

It's a question I've thought about for the past several years (but seems like a good time to ask). On the one hand, I think the caliber of players we've gotten has been dramatically higher over the last several years. The question is, what is the driver? Parker? Quinn and other assistants? HAA? And how pleased should we be with that? After all, the standard should be among the best classes every year given everything else the program has to offer.

No doubt that one of Parker's selling points is future success in the Pros. But until the 2009 team, there was a pretty big drop off from the glory days of the early to mid 90's.

I have to think that there are more recruits (and parents) that feel very strongly that they DO NOT want their kid to play for Jack than there are that feel very strongly that they DO want their kid to go to play for him, whether it be his age, his approach/personality, or the lack of national success since 1997 other than 2009 (having BC dominate the national scene over the same time frame hasn't helped). And that may be fine - there are lots of good recruits out there.

I just think it's possible that our recruiting, and perhaps our results would be better if someone like Quinn were in place. I've brought it up before, as have others. And I know barring a major incident, Parker will choose his own time to step down. I just feel like it's time for a change after 38 years or however many it has been. With a long list of high caliber replacement options, I just don't think that losing the Parker legacy would hurt us in the short term, and I am sure it would not hurt us long term.
                  BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

Originally posted by slurpees View Post
                    I dont want to speak for FL, but I'm pretty sure Parker's "no comment"-ed him numerous times already on this subject.
                    As evidenced by...

Parker had no comment for this story other than to reiterate what has already been reported.

“We removed him from the team because he couldn’t live up to team rules,” Parker said.
                    Places I've seen a college hockey game: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Bright Center, Consol Energy Center, Conte Forum, DCU Center, Fenway Park, Gutterson Fieldhouse, Houston Field House, Lawler Arena, Madison Square Garden, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Schneider Arena, Scottrade Center, Sears Centre, Tampa Bay Times Forum, TD Bank Sports Center, TD Garden, Tsongas Center, Tully Forum, Verizon Center, Verizon Wireless Arena, Walter Brown Arena, Wells Fargo Center, Whittemore Center

Comment

Originally posted by jcarter7669 View Post
                      Can I interject some common sense here....

A kid kicked off the etam went on record complaining about the coach. Another player on the etam anonymously replied that the kid (voted as the worst teammate) said he was making stuff up.

They both would have a motive and they are both likely embellishing here. What is clear is that he wasn't the best "character" guy on the team and missed some etam events. What is also clear is Jackie is not handling things in a professional manner.

It also seems likely that Parker is exhibiting some rather bizarre behavior even if we assume that Glass is only telling half the truth.

Finally, where are the texts voice mails? Would seem that dear old dad here would have saved the voice mail?

Regardless, some kids can't abide the rules and that's likely what this was, on the other hand Parker is probably losing his sh1t too.
                      Sorry, I don't see how it is clear Parker is not handling things in a professional manner. What acts would you put in that category that are not solely reported by Glass? I don't know how often a traveling college hockey coach checks his voicemail. I also don't know how many would engage a parent in a discussion that is between the coach and the player. Unless Glass is Doogie Howser Jr. he is old enough for Parker to deal with him directly. Due to privacy matters, colleges can't even send grades home to mom and dad...why is it that Parker should bring a third party into this situation regardless of the relationship to the player?

It stands to reason that Parker's handling of this could have been better but what is the litmus test for professionalism as it pertains to a college hockey coach managing the complaint window for a player he has dismissed? This isn't GE or Micorsoft we're talking about...would I expect a corporate manager or executive to handle this better all around? yes.
                      I believe in life, and I believe in love, but the world in which I live in keeps trying to prove me wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Federal League View Post
                        As evidenced by...
                        But did he know you had already acquired statements from Glass about it? The reason I ask is I'm curious if was prepared for such a one-sided story to come out. No fault of yours since that's all you had.

Comment

Originally posted by pirate View Post
                          Sorry, I don't see how it is clear Parker is not handling things in a professional manner.
                          "Where the F have you been?" to a student athlete is handling things in a professional manner? Good Lord...

Comment

• Originally posted by Slasher7 View Post
                            "Where the F have you been?" to a student athlete is handling things in a professional manner? Good Lord...
                            This s/a is a 21 yo man! Grow up.

'children' younger than he in the army hear worse.

Of course with grampie Jerry you hear. "oh good golly gosh, I didn't see whit leave his feet and try to take chiasson's head clean off, so I can't doodlely-doo comment"

(I'm telling you.... Jerry=Anthony Hopkins new movie!!!)

a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

And exactly how certain are you that he actually said that? I know those hockey players are the shrinking violet types so I'm sure that was the first time he had heard the 'f word' (assuming it was used)...if the team is allotted so many scholarships then the team is paying $50k a year for a kid to attend college for free; I think the coach is allowed to be irritated if a player goes AWOL. Should he use that word? I would recommend not. But this isn't a 14 year old kid, he'll be 22 years old in August. He is an adult...his daddy shouldn't be fighting his battles and he should be able to handle that inquiry, despite the use of an expletive.
                              While Glass might not have been, many of these players are drafted already, we all have no illusion that college hockey is about hanging out on the quad, playing ultimate frisbee and rushing frats. It borders on a professional arrangement, I'll pay you $50k to play here and you'll gain skills that should advance your career. We all criticize the Alabama's and Florida's in football but hockey players are more mercenary than most...so let's not pretend we're talking about the bowling club or our high school teams.

edit: gosh mookie, if I hadn't had somebody stop by I would have been the first to point out his age, gee whiz, makes me so mad I could just shake my fist...golly, next thing you know, they'll be spittin on the ground, thinkin wild thoughts about girls and trying to sneak into the the double feature at the Bijou
                              Last edited by pirate; 01-28-2011, 01:08 PM.
                              I believe in life, and I believe in love, but the world in which I live in keeps trying to prove me wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
                                I'm not sure what motive Glass has. He was late and admits it and it seems like Parker is kicking him off for that so it's not like he's clearing his name much and why does he have to clear his name?
                                Maybe he's ****ed he was kicked off the team and is trying to make Parker look bad.

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
                                As the earlier post indicates, he did not come forward to the DFP but rather responded to FL's inquiry. So... surely Parker has a motive to defend himself as he has a program's reputation on the line as well as his own. The kid texting FL taking shots at Glass has a motive to keep his coach happy, he has no reason to worry about speaking negatively about Glass anymore now that they are not teammates.

Trying to look at it from all angles here but that's what I see right now.
                                I see that Parker would have motive to defend himself. However, I'm too lazy to reread the thread but IIRC, whoever texted Federal League wanted no business of the quote getting out and had to be convinced to let it out. Pure speculation, but I bet whoever it was likes Parker and was upset at how the article portrays him and texted the reporter to defend him.

My friend once made a huge mistake and it was all over the news. He was a great guy but made a bad decision. The Herald wrote about him and his character in a less than positive light, and I got upset about it and left a voicemail for the author (before the days of texting) to voice my complaints. The author called me back and tried to get me to comment for her next story on him. I refused. Still speculating, but I bet that's what happened here, except Federal League is clearly a better reporter in that he got the player to agree to let him use his comments. I don't think the player did it to keep Parker happy, though I could be wrong.
                                #NewMass

Comment

Working...
                                X