Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RPI 2010-11 Part II: RPI, the Other Team, the Refs -- We're outnumbered 10 to 6.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI 2010-11 Part II: RPI, the Other Team, the Refs -- We're outnumbered 10 to 6.

Originally posted by fishcore12 View Post
    Stay out of the box and U should be fine. That was a big part of RPIs downfall tonight, marching to the box. Yes, being without a group of players also didnt help us much but the team did the best the could with what they had.
    To be fair, four of RPI's penalties were tripping calls that, to the best of my knowledge, were during threatening plays in our zone. It isn't necessarily as simple as just "staying out of the box" and having everything else stay the same - part of shutting Yale down is being very aggressive and that can lead to many penalties, as it did for RPI. You can't necessarily have it both ways.

Comment

• Re: RPI 2010-11 Part II: RPI, the Other Team, the Refs -- We're outnumbered 10 to 6.

Originally posted by Wholin1 View Post
      I didn't get to follow much of the game but saw that your boys came back from a 2-0 deficit. Sorry it didn't end better. What do you think U's chances are against the Yalies? I would say that based on what I saw tonight, you can handle Brown, though both CD teams are a bit shorthanded. Watch out for Harry Z he will probably be nastier than ever after a game in jail.
      Thankfully, RPI has the beef and attitude to handle Harry this year. If he wants to mix it up, we'll be ready.

If U limits their trips to the bin, they'll be fine. 5 on 5 RPI matched up pretty well. RPI upped the physical play and it bothered Y. 5 on 3 PP for Yale sealed RPIs fate.
      ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Yale fan here, I was at the game tonight and was impressed with RPIs defense and tenacity, they took the physical play to Yale and knocked them off of their game. That said, RPI came across as quite a dirty team as well, a lot of uncalled for head shots and over reactions to anyone within ten feet of the crease,the threads I have read about RPI have a common theme, penalties, the coach needs to control his team. I hope your goalie is OK he hurt his back making the best kick save I have seen in a while. Good luck the rest of the way.
        YALE HOCKEY
        2013 National Champions

Comment

My thoughts on tonight's game...we were a bit shaky in the 1st. In the second we decided to use our aggressiveness to slow them down and it worked. The penalties were definitely called way too quickly and not correct, but for on or two. The goal on the 3 on 5 was to be expected. The open netter too. Score board wasn't indicative of how the boys left it on the ice. I thought Yale was gonna' trounce us...instead the refs did. We have a tough, resilient team.

Comment

Originally posted by LTsatch View Post
            Yale fan here, I was at the game tonight and was impressed with RPIs defense and tenacity, they took the physical play to Yale and knocked them off of their game. That said, RPI came across as quite a dirty team as well, a lot of uncalled for head shots and over reactions to anyone within ten feet of the crease,the threads I have read about RPI have a common theme, penalties, the coach needs to control his team. I hope your goalie is OK he hurt his back making the best kick save I have seen in a while. Good luck the rest of the way.
            I understand fans being one sided and seeing only the good in their team (I'm about to do it just like you did). The way to stop a fast team like Yale is to bang them up. That's hockey. I's not figure skating. It's called a collision sport because there's lots of hitting and aggression. I love the smashmouth nature of this team. You like the fast and slick...If you're coming on this thread to tell us our players are dirty, go peddle your whale bilge elsewhere.

Comment

BTW...met Troyboy and Aspydad...it was a pleasure!!! They look like they can cause some trouble together...

Knocked on the glass and waved to Red Cloud in the broadcast booth...he smiled but I don't think he knew who I was...

Sat with G Russinko, his lovely young lady and the Engineer road crew. They make enough noise that it got under the skin of the Yale fans around us...how great was that?

Comment

Originally posted by babo View Post
                BTW...met Troyboy and Aspydad...it was a pleasure!!! They look like they can cause some trouble together...
                I really do mean this... Babo is as beautiful on the inside as she is on the out. It was such an honor to meet her. She is going to be a blast for four years. Babo, we'll see you at the Q.
                "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

Comment

I thought Yale was gonna' trounce us...instead the refs did. We have a tough, resilient team.
                  The call to make it 5 on 3 was horrible. The ref furtherest away from the play called it. Paul Stewart needs to work with these guys. We were outplayed the first period and a half but had a strong second half of the game. This is a game we would have gotten blown out in the past but stuck around to give ourselves a chance. Then the zebras interjected themselves.
                  "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

Comment

My thoughts on tonight's game...we were a bit shaky in the 1st. In the second we decided to use our aggressiveness to slow them down and it worked. The penalties were definitely called way too quickly and not correct, but for on or two. The goal on the 3 on 5 was to be expected. The open netter too. Score board wasn't indicative of how the boys left it on the ice. I thought Yale was gonna' trounce us...instead the refs did. We have a tough, resilient team.
                    Officiating was as usual inconsistant...the penalty that put us down 5 on 3 was ticky tacky to say the least... in fact the same thing happened shortly after that,this time it was a yale player and no call was made...Im not saying there was any motive just inconsistancy...again the officiating dictated the outcome of an ECAC game what a surprise....Just an opinion,that was not the #2 or #3 team in the country again in my opinion.
                    What was the Guy who discovered milk doing to the cow ????????...Or for that matter how bout the fist Guy to drink it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Ken Schott has forgotten more about college hockey than you will ever know. Stop taking jabs at him so you can get your name in one of his weekly blogs. He does a good job covering the ECAC and we should be happy that someone actually cares enough to do so.
                      I know what you mean kinda like I forgot more about college hockey than you will ever know....NANANA !!!
                      What was the Guy who discovered milk doing to the cow ????????...Or for that matter how bout the fist Guy to drink it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
                        I, for one, would miss the tounament. I remember the early days when it was the only game around. The years when it was during Christmas week. And the switch to Thanksgiving time. I know we have had trouble drawing top notch teams but there is something to be said for tradition.
                        Concur. It is a time honored tradition. You have to understand where Ken is coming from. He wants Union to be like RPI and if RPI doesn't have the Christmas Tourney that is another step towards RPI being like Union. Well, I for one love the tradition.

Comment

I know this is a public forum but it gets pretty old to read jabs and shots at reporters who are just trying to do his or her job.
                          Please stop the lecturing and moaralizing. Why don't you go back to complaining about the fan base yelling the same things.

Comment

Originally posted by Wholin1 View Post
                            I think Ken Schott is a dedicated professional who tries to play it straight as best he can. That being said, I can understand how some may consider him biased toward Union as he does apply the majority of his work product to the home town team, which as pointed out in some posts only makes sense as his paper is in that locale. Also, even as big as he is, he can only be at one rink at a time, but when he has a chance he is in Troy, as he was over the holiday weekend. Overall, I think the college hockey scene in this area is far better off with him, than it ever would be without him.
                            Fair enough so if he is truly a "reporter" for the people why doesn't he split the weekends 1 w/U....1 w/RPI...As I've said before I don't have a problem W/Ken Schott....I read his Blog...and listen to his radio spot and enjoy them both...what does trip my trigger is his unwillingness to come clean and admit that his alligence is to Union for many reasons not the least of which is his employment w/the hometown newspaper...thats how he takes care of his family that doesn't make him a bad guy,that makes him a good guy...but he does for the sake of his journalistic integrity need to come clean on that.His Radio partner has no quams about admitting he is a UAlbany homer he has done it many times.I don't understand why Kenny won't do the same it won't hurt I promise.

Comment

Originally posted by LTsatch View Post
                              I thought Yale was a little overly dramatic in its responses. On one play York tied up the puck and one of the Engineer defensemen took up a protective position. In the process his shoulder brushed a Yale player that was continuing toward the net after the whistle (something Yale did consistently throughout the game). The Bulldog snapped his head and upper body back as if he'd been hit with a sledgehammer. It was ridiculous.

As for the refs, inconsistent was one of the nicer terms that I'd use. Many of the calls on both sides looked questionable. However, the matching penalties to Cullen and Martin late in the third really ticked me off. They were tied up for several seconds along the goal line. The ref behind the Yale net was watching the entire thing intently. Finally Cullen reached over the top of Martin, placed his hand on the facemask and pulled Martin over. The ref's hand shot up. Was it a penalty - sure? But the call was matching minors with Martin being called for holding. Well, he certainly wasn't holding as he was flipped over by Cullen. So he must have been holding Cullen before that. Why wasn't the refs arm in the air to make that call? He only called what appeared to be an obvious hold once he could offset it with a call on the visitors.

Oh well, the Engineers played a fine game against an excellent, and extremely fast, Yale team. They were on their heels early but showed a lot of heart fighting back to tie it up in the third. It could have gone either way but Yale earned the win. I'm looking forward to the rematch at HFH.
                              Last edited by rpi82; 12-04-2010, 12:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by troyboy View Post
                                Fair enough so if he is truly a "reporter" for the people why doesn't he split the weekends 1 w/U....1 w/RPI...As I've said before I don't have a problem W/Ken Schott....I read his Blog...and listen to his radio spot and enjoy them both...what does trip my trigger is his unwillingness to come clean and admit that his alligence is to Union for many reasons not the least of which is his employment w/the hometown newspaper...thats how he takes care of his family that doesn't make him a bad guy,that makes him a good guy...but he does for the sake of his journalistic integrity need to come clean on that.His Radio partner has no quams about admitting he is a UAlbany homer he has done it many times.I don't understand why Kenny won't do the same it won't hurt I promise.
                                Ken Schott works for a newspaper in Schenectady. Undoubtedly they want him to focus on Union. He reports much more about RPI than Weaver does about Union.

Now if he would cut out the Flyers and Phillies bull, it would improve things immeasurably.
                                sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Working...
                                X