Early season team evaluations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Early season team evaluations

Though half the D3 programs have yet to play a game, some have already played 25% of their regular season schedule. How have the preseason fav's faired compared to last year?

Oswego: The offense remains potent putting up 4.7 goals per game but it is down almost half a goal/gm from last year. The special teams are steady and goaltending has been spectacular though the D is giving up a few more shots per game than in 09.

Adrian: A scoring machine but early on their output is off by greater than a goal per game. The powerplay remains dominant scoring 31.2% of the time but goaltending save % is down significantly and the pk is not as effective.

Plattsburgh: A significant improvement in scoring early on and the PP has improved as well. However, defensively they are allowing almost 4 shots per game more and goaltending save % is weaker.

St. Norbert: Early on performance is slightly down with less offensive production, goaltending is slightly down as is penalty kill.

Marian: Averaging 4.4 goals per game, they remain strong but slightly less production than last year. Goaltending, defense and specialty teams are strong and consistent.

Hamline: A preseason favorite is struggling some statistically. Scoring is down significantly and this also shows in their PP performance. Defensively the team is allowing 6 shots more per game.

Re: Early season team evaluations

A couple of things that have caught my eye is the one loss by St. Norbert and dominate start of the season by Oswego. 2 wins over Elmira and a win over Plattsburgh are very impressive. I realize a lot of good eastern teams like Middlebury, Bowdoin, Norwich, and Willimas (and I am sure a few other suprises) have yet to play games but right now Oswego sure look like a final 4 team again this year.

Am I the only fan who would like to Oswego added to the Primelink to go along with Norwich, Plattsburgh, and Middlebury.
    2009-2010 Last Person Standing winner
    2009-2010 Interlock LPS winner

Comment

Originally posted by hawk View Post
      A couple of things that have caught my eye is the one loss by St. Norbert and dominate start of the season by Oswego. 2 wins over Elmira and a win over Plattsburgh are very impressive. I realize a lot of good eastern teams like Middlebury, Bowdoin, Norwich, and Willimas (and I am sure a few other suprises) have yet to play games but right now Oswego sure look like a final 4 team again this year.

Am I the only fan who would like to Oswego added to the Primelink to go along with Norwich, Plattsburgh, and Middlebury.
      Oswego would never join it unless they were allowed to host. Give them the chance to host, and they'd probably do it. But, isn't Oswego well outside of the PrimeLink area?
      The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
      "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
      GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
      GO LAKERS!!!
      GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
      "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
      Oswego State '09

Comment

Since Middlebury (and the NESCAC) would prefer not to get contaminated or risk being corrupted by playing with us Harijans, I would be all for replacing them with Oswego in the Primelink. Of course, the Primelink does rotate between the three permanent schools.
        Larry Normandin
        SUNY Cobleskill '83-SUNY Plattsburgh '00

Temper is one thing you can't get rid of by losing it.

God gave everyone patience-The wise use it.

Trust is like paper - Once crumbled it can never again be perfect.

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)
        WIRY (Chrome/Android Player)

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand!

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

Originally posted by NESCAC Fan View Post
          Though half the D3 programs have yet to play a game, some have already played 25% of their regular season schedule. How have the preseason fav's faired compared to last year?

Adrian: A scoring machine but early on their output is off by greater than a goal per game. The powerplay remains dominant scoring 31.2% of the time but goaltending save % is down significantly and the pk is not as effective.

Marian: Averaging 4.4 goals per game, they remain strong but slightly less production than last year. Goaltending, defense and specialty teams are strong and consistent.
          Nice job on all your evaluations !

As for Adrian, while it is a small sampling, I think it's a quality sampling given Marian were the opponent for the 2 games. Upcoming games within the conference will restore order to special teams and goaltending stats. We'll have a better idea how this team stacks up in a couple of weeks when they face Wis-Eau Claire and Hamline.

The same holds true for Marian. Stats at both ends of the ice should improve with conference play. Thanksgiving match-ups should provide better perspective on this team.

Comment

Originally posted by norm1909 View Post
            Since Middlebury (and the NESCAC) would prefer not to get contaminated or risk being corrupted by playing with us Harijans, I would be all for replacing them with Oswego in the Primelink. Of course, the Primelink does rotate between the three permanent schools.
            Untouchables, now called Harijans, have traditionally occupied the lowest place in the caste system of Hindu India; they were called untouchable because they were considered to be outside the confines of caste.
            Cardinal Women- 2-time Winners of DIII National Championship Games, 35 game undefeated streak
            Cardinal Men- 3-time Winners of DIII National Championship Games

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
              Oswego would never join it unless they were allowed to host. Give them the chance to host, and they'd probably do it. But, isn't Oswego well outside of the PrimeLink area?
              Prez why not allow Oswego to host. I have driven to Massena and the rez a number of times. Maybe after driving once to Oswego I would change my mind but I don't believe that many Norwich or Middlebury fans every went to Potsdam when games were played there. I assume Oswego is a fair distance down the lake from Massena?
              2009-2010 Last Person Standing winner
              2009-2010 Interlock LPS winner

Comment

Prez why not allow Oswego to host. I have driven to Massena and the rez a number of times. Maybe after driving once to Oswego I would change my mind but I don't believe that many Norwich or Middlebury fans every went to Potsdam when games were played there. I assume Oswego is a fair distance down the lake from Massena?
                Because its Norwich, Plattsburgh, and Middlebury's sand box and they'd have to allow Oswego into it and that's a lot easier said than done. All three of those teams love the fact they only have to wait every three years instead of four now to get those two extra home games from the PrimeLink.

Plus I'm not really sure the PrimeLink's coverage area is anywhere near Oswego. It'd certainly be a great addition to the tournament and unquestionably be the best field ever assembled for a tournament but like everything it will come down to the almighty dollar.
                GO LAKERS!!!
                "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                Oswego State '09

Comment

I think one of the reason Potsdam went away is because Emery didn't like adding a third game with Potsdam on a regular basis. I think that's one (of several) reasons that the anchoring four teams became the anchoring three teams.

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
                  Because its Norwich, Plattsburgh, and Middlebury's sand box and they'd have to allow Oswego into it and that's a lot easier said than done. All three of those teams love the fact they only have to wait every three years instead of four now to get those two extra home games from the PrimeLink.

Plus I'm not really sure the PrimeLink's coverage area is anywhere near Oswego. It'd certainly be a great addition to the tournament and unquestionably be the best field ever assembled for a tournament but like everything it will come down to the almighty dollar.
                  2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
                  2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
                  2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
                  2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Originally posted by NUProf View Post
                    I think one of the reason Potsdam went away is because Emery didn't like adding a third game with Potsdam on a regular basis. I think that's one (of several) reasons that the anchoring four teams became the anchoring three teams.
                    I also believe part of it had to do with Potsdam's facility and fan base being subpar compared to the other three schools as well as general lack of competitiveness compared to the other three as well.

Would Emery mind a possible third and even fourth game against Oswego? I'd have to think he wouldn't mind that as much
                    GO LAKERS!!!
                    Oswego State '09

Comment

Becareful what you say about the Primelink and inviting teams, some non-sunyac coaches don't like ..... the whole point of the rotating team is so that neither team plays a team for a third time in a season, hense no ECAC E, NESCAC or SUNYAC team. There was rumor Castleton might be invited down the road, but I think it was left at the rumor status.
                      Remy Babineaux
                      remyb616@gmail.com
                      D3FHL Web Page

Comment

Food for thought. The concept of karma is part of the world view of many millions of people throughout the world. Many in western cultures or with a Christian upbringing have incorporated a notion of karma. The Christian concept of reaping what you sow from Galatians 6:7 can be considered equivalent to Karma

Comment

Re: Potsdam...it went away because Potsdam went away...literally! On the first Potsdam hosting amenities were minimal ar best....on the second go around the campus was closed, very closed, along with everything at the rink. They had to search out a security guard just to get access to vital functions (PA, etc.) There was no food, refreshments, water,...nothing! And then the teams had to contend with "closed" facilities...it was dismal. Obviously Potsdam's commitment to the tourney was minimal at best.

IMHO I enjpoy seeing another team, especially from the west...nice change from the usual. Oswego is way outside PL coverage area. With the transfer of ownership there are plans to expand coverage but not in that direction.

You won't see Castleton in the PL, at least in its current configuration.
                          D-III Game Pics @ http://www.willcimages.com

Friends of Panther Hockey

Comment

When Potsdam hosted, there were a LOT of fans that travelled to Potsdam from Midd, P'Burgh and Norwich...actually it seemed that there were more fans from some of these schools than from Potsdam!!! The Bears were not competitive and their demise was self imposed....BTW I know of two fans that travelled all the way from Georgia to view the Primelink in Potsdam.
                            Formerly known as NUSuntan

Comment

Working...
                            X