Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does TIMMAY Whitehead Deserve ANY... *GASP*... Credit?!?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does TIMMAY Whitehead Deserve ANY... *GASP*... Credit?!?!

For what is going on at Maine?

Even when you're dealing with defections, when you're constantly bringing in such high end talent, it's easy to stay somewhere in the mix.

When Inside College Hockey released their annual recruitment rankings, it made me think....boy, it's a been a long time since Maine has had a class register. And yet here they are, competing alongside the rest of the top 10 playing a high level of hockey. Aside from Nyquist, where is their star power?

None of Maine's current 4 classes registered on Inside College Hockey's Top 15 for their respective year, so it made a buddy of mine intrigued to create a spread sheet of cumulative recruiting rankings over the past 4 years and check out some correlations. Yea, I know, we're pretty cool . Slow *** day at work, I believe its called

A 1st place vote got 15 points, a 15th place vote got 1 point and so forth....and 3 points were given for each year the team registered. Here were our results...

Boston University... 62
    Denver...56
    Minnesota... 55
    Boston College... 54
    Notre Dame... 50
    North Dakota... 49
    Michigan... 49
    Wisconsin... 42
    St Cloud... 30
    UNH... 28
    Minnesota-Duluth... 28
    Michigan State... 27
    RPI... 21
    Ohio State... 17
    Clarkson... 14
    Harvard... 14
    Miami... 12
    Cornell... 10
    Colorado College... 10
    Nebraska-Omaha... 9
    Vermont... 8
    St Lawrence... 6
    Yale... 5
    Ferris State... 4
    Maine... 0

And yet, here we are, hanging out uninvited, in their top 10.

It's one thing to bring in elite pro prospects and dominate.
    It's another to bring in a bunch of kids off the radar and coach them up to such a high level. A similar shoutout to the likes of Alaska, Union, hell even the 'Mack... as well as low registering teams like Yale, UNO, and yes, Miami.

Could it be that Timbo is due for a little credit?!?! Or am I on drugs
    Last edited by Howitz-ah; 11-07-2010, 11:54 PM.
    Being led to the promiseland by TIMMAY!!!

Re: Does TIMMAY Whitehead Deserve ANY... *GASP*... Credit?!?!

Yes, he does deserve credit. They've changed their recruiting tactics (from Canadians hell-bent on playing Juniors to a mix of smallish Canadians and Americans that fly under the radar), they've changed the make-up of their team (from slow, untalented grinders to BC-like dwarfs with speed and skill), and they've changed their style of play (up and down and to the net instead of pass, pass, pass, pass, pass.......turn over or shoot wide).

As far as that list goes........

#3 Minnesota - has stunk for multiple years
    #5 Notre Dame - remind me what they have done?
    #9 St. Cloud - still a wannabe
    #10 UNH - University of No Hardware
    #11 UMD - see #9 and #10
    #13-#16 RPI, Ohio State, Clarkson, Harvard - don't make me laugh
    Vermont, St. Lawrence, Yale, Ferris State?......lol.

Comment

Originally posted by sandiegoblkbr View Post
      Yale......lol.
      Sitting higher than us in the polls!

I agree with most of the rest, just sayin!
      Being led to the promiseland by TIMMAY!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Howitz-ah View Post

The easy answer is yes, but look back over the past 3 seasons and it gets cloudy, I'll leave it at that
        I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Not only do we not need to recruit well, we hardly need a coach. Maine hawkey, that aura that follows us everywhere regardless of players and coaches, just plain rules. Coming soon to a theatre near you.
          I believe in equality of effort. In life, in hockey in everything.

Comment

Tim Whitehead reminds me of Bill Belichek (personality wise anyway).. unassuming, not seeking the spotlight, just a solid nuts & bolts guy.. quietly at work.
            GO NU HOCKEY
            Always bullish on the future.
            We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

Originally posted by Howitz-ah View Post
              It's one thing to bring in elite pro prospects and dominate.
              It's another to bring in a bunch of kids off the radar and coach them up to such a high level. A similar shoutout to the likes of Alaska, Union, hell even the 'Mack... as well as low registering teams like Yale, UNO, and yes, Miami.
              We had the same thing going on in Denver in 2004. Mostly unknown four year players under the radar. Blue collar, hard working grinders. Then in 2005 we got Carle and Statsny and from that point on we started getting blue chippers. The problem is, they all defect after two years or so: Bozak, Chevrie, Colbourne to name a few. I see this years Black Bears the same kind of group we had in 2004. I think Maine has a very good chance this season.
              "The bottom line is, the cream rose to the top, and that’s Denver.”
              Tom Serratore

Comment

Originally posted by northeastern View Post
                Tim Whitehead reminds me of Bill Belichek (personality wise anyway).. unassuming, not seeking the spotlight, just a solid nuts & bolts guy.. quietly at work.
                Wow.

Comment

The answer is yes on giving Tim credit. When Maine started their decline it started with recruiting players without on ice leadership. Tim brought in Corkum as top assistant and started selecting quick hard working players with on ice character. Fierce competitors who are coachable. While big physical players are necessary for the NHL it doesn't always work out at the college level.
                  Last edited by Runsub5; 11-08-2010, 11:11 AM. Reason: Wrong word

Comment

Obviously a student of some other skewl started this thread in an attempt to confuse us Mainuhs. Seems to be working.
                    I believe in equality of effort. In life, in hockey in everything.

Comment

And we should all note that this Tim "apologist" did not start this thread, but certainly is enjoying it!

We have a very good hockey team and I look forward to every weekend! This one needs to be 4 points, NU is struggling and we need step on their throats!

Comment

Originally posted by Runsub5 View Post
                        The answer is yes on giving Tim credit. When Maine started their decline it started with recruiting players without on ice leadership. Tim brought in Corkum as top assistant and started selecting quick hard working players with on ice character. Fierce competitors who are coachable. While big physical players are necessary for the NHL it doesn't always work out at the college level.
                        Monarch Connection ? Other than Nyquist, Spencer?

Comment

Originally posted by fiqure8 View Post
                          Monarch Connection ? Other than Nyquist, Spencer?
                          Huh? Flynn, Nemec, Beattie, Shemansky, Mangene...all former Jr Monarchs... Nyquist and Abbott didn't play for the Monarchs.

Comment

Originally posted by BobF View Post
                            And we should all note that this Tim "apologist" did not start this thread, but certainly is enjoying it!

We have a very good hockey team and I look forward to every weekend! This one needs to be 4 points, NU is struggling and we need step on their throats!
                            I can understand that seeing as you spent the last 3 years apologizing
                            I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by irishfan85 View Post
                              Huh? Flynn, Nemec, Beattie, Shemansky, Mangene...all former Jr Monarchs... Nyquist and Abbott didn't play for the Monarchs.
                              And coming soon.......Rutt, Brown and Morgan. I'll take 'em!

Comment

Working...
                              X