Friday 11/5: #10 New Hampshire @ #4 Boston College

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Friday 11/5: #10 New Hampshire @ #4 Boston College

There was a time on these boards where almost every single game would have it's own thread. What's happened??? Where is everybody? I know there are still a lot of UNHers out there...

BC comes in at 5-2 (3-1). Pretty much what I expected. What I didn't expect is that right now, John Muse could be BC's best player. Hasn't given up more than two in any of his five starts (4-1) with a .946 save percentage.

Current top two lines have looked good in limited time together:

Carey-Gibbons-C. Atkinson
    Kreider-K. Hayes-J. Hayes

Still looking to get a couple guys going, but it's early.

Biggest problems for BC right now: penalties and turnovers.

Re: Friday 11/5: #10 New Hampshire @ #4 Boston College

laissez faire attitude has come upon us...........i'm just ticked that i won't be there but then again, if you have to miss a game, being in NYC isnt a bad alternative though i did give my tickets to my UNH grad boss............the former and now again "Big Four" are playing each other this weekend too so it should be interesting

Comment

Its the regular season...

UNH 4 BC 2
      Originally posted by Hokydad
      Maine will be better this year relative to rankings than BC will be this year

Comment

Originally posted by jcarter7669 View Post
        Its the regular season...

UNH 4 BC 2
        haha awesome. A post season jab from a Vermont fan.

Goaltending will be the key to this game

Comment

I haven't seen BC yet this year but heard they looked pretty darned good out in Denver. Looking forward to what should be a good game.

Comment

It really is strange that the fans of both teams haven't been talking about this one a bit more. UNH seems to do ok at Conte lately. Will playing on Tuesday help or hurt BC? Less time to prepare but they also saw some problems (defensively) they could probably correct so that might be a good thing.

I think Muse will be sensational, BC will take too many penalties, and we'll see BC's first tie of the season as UNH pulls the goalie and scores yet another EAG in Conte. No comment on UNH being experts at "sister-kissin"... I'm just sayin...

These games are always fun, up and down and good clean hockey the way it was meant to be played.

Who's coming down from Hillbilly Land (had to get a hillbilly reference in there somewhere)?
            Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
            The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Looking forward to a good one at Conte tonight. UNH got offensive production from the top three lines at Cornell, and that will be key tonight. Gotta love the UNH-BC matchups. No trapping here!
              "Oh No! Not Maine! Then where would we get our deodorant that doesn't work?!"-Stephen Colbert

Comment

Originally posted by WildShawn View Post
                Agree.
                BC/UNH is always a wide open, fast paced game up and down the ice. Both teams will get their shots on net. May the best goaltender win.

The difference in John Muse this year as opposed to past seasons, IMO, is he seems much more focused for 60 minutes. If BC jumps out ahead, I don't see him giving up a 4-1 lead in the third like last season at UNH.

I won't be in my regular seats tonight. One of my suppliers got a private box for the game. There will be 3 BC fans (me, my bro and the company president) and 3 UNH fans in the box. The trash talking has already been going on all week. Fist-a-cuffs in the box? Guarantee the BC boys will win that one.
                Last edited by FiveHole12; 11-05-2010, 09:41 AM.
                'Eavesdropped the BC forum in USCHO. A range of intellects over there. Mostly gentlemen, but a couple of coarse imbeciles' - academic_index, a Brown fan

Comment

So, any report from those in the stands? I listened to some of Dan/Pete's call on WGIR, and it sounded like a very exciting first period. Didnt think we'd see a 2-1 game (either way) were both goaltenders outstanding?

3 big road wins to start the season for UNH (at Miami, at Cornell and at BC), lets clean up at Lowell tomorrow night and get some home games going! (I still don't get scheduling only 1 of the first 7 at home, but they've played great on the road it seems)

Comment

Sounds like it was. And somehow, UNH still won!

Nice PWR win for the 'Cats. Also, looks like the production came from the Sophomores, which should be good for their confidence going forward.
                    Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must first set yourself on fire.
                    -Fred Shero

Comment

So, any report from those in the stands? I listened to some of Dan/Pete's call on WGIR, and it sounded like a very exciting first period. Didnt think we'd see a 2-1 game (either way) were both goaltenders outstanding?

3 big road wins to start the season for UNH (at Miami, at Cornell and at BC), lets clean up at Lowell tomorrow night and get some home games going! (I still don't get scheduling only 1 of the first 7 at home, but they've played great on the road it seems)
                      Will be curious to see what others thought of the game as well but here are my 2 cents.

Digi was huge last night, BC had him under siege several times and he held down the fort, several times in the 1st and 3rd it was just ridiculous that BC couldn't put it past him. Atkinson had a breakaway and he made the save. Carey did hit the outside of the post with about 2 mins left.

Of course, BC really dominated the 2nd and just couldn't get more than the Alber goal.

UNH for the most part was outplayed and didn't get a ton of grade A chances. But they converted a good chance in the 1st and answered BC's goal with a fairly soft goal that Muse gave up to win the game. Harmless wrist shot from far out and didn't seem like he was screened but he snuck it inside the post I think.

UNHs forwards were quick with the puck on transition and passed pretty well. But didn't cycle a heck of a whole lot in BC's zone which prevented them from really creating a lot of scoring chances. The Kreider-Hayes-Hayes line wreaked havoc all night as expected but missed several opportunities that could have or should have been goals. For the most part BC is starting to get too cute, passes too much, and their passes are telegraphed a lot.

Defensively, UNH did well when they had to in the end. Otherwise, nothing overly awesome but they did well in coverage when BC cycled all over the place. BCs defense misses Cross a lot. A number of mishandlings on the offensive blue line and too aggressive in the neutral zone which led to several odd-man rushes for UNH, including the Henrion goal.

Goaltending really did prove to be the difference in this game.

Great game, 1 penalty combined between the two teams. Not a boring game for a 2-1 score that is for sure. Nice BC crowd too, quite loud and lively.

Congrats to UNH on the win. Won't see them again until the final weekend of the RS (unless we can replace NU with UNH in the Beanpot).
                      Originally posted by reBlur
                      the sober Trivino I know is not a guy who would force his way into a girl's room and attempt to rape her. I can't imagine him ever making anyone even feel uncomfortable when he's sober.There are plenty of players in my time covering the team who have looked at me differently or flirted with me or the like. Trivino has never been one of those players. Even outside of the rink, he'll say hi and is plenty of friendly, but has never been even close to saying or doing anything inappropriate.

Comment

Originally posted by Carmine Scarpaglia View Post
                        Congrats to UNH on the win. Won't see them again until the final weekend of the RS (unless we can replace NU with UNH in the Beanpot).
                        You could replace NU with anyone from Atlantic Hockey and it would be more competitive, it seems!

Thanks for the recap.... I love the bc/unh matchups and look forward to march's rematches
                        I have only seen BC once, on tv at denver, and they looked unbeatable... good luck til March!

Comment

Originally posted by Carmine Scarpaglia View Post
                          Digi was huge last night, BC had him under siege several times and he held down the fort, several times in the 1st and 3rd it was just ridiculous that BC couldn't put it past him. Atkinson had a breakaway and he made the save. Carey did hit the outside of the post with about 2 mins left.
                          Digi was indeed huge last night and stole one for UNH.

Most glaring BC non-goal... I believe it was J. Hayes... a wrap around attempt in the first. Came around the back of the net uncontested, swept his stick to a WIDE OPEN net, and the puck slid off his stick and across the crease.
                          'Eavesdropped the BC forum in USCHO. A range of intellects over there. Mostly gentlemen, but a couple of coarse imbeciles' - academic_index, a Brown fan

Comment

Kreider, Hayes & Hayes was the best line again. They also had the most glaring misses in the 1st period. We cycled four lines the entire game which causes some growing pains in the first semester but in the future pays off.

Nice for them to get the powerplay units a little more settled, moving Kreider to the 2nd with Hayeses. Also notice who was on the ice for the final minute with the top line? Kevin Hayes, says a lot -I've been very impressed with him thus far. Dumoulin looks a little more settled now at the point of the 2nd unit.

I have a feeling BC wanted both goals back, first looks like Wey didn't fully get his stick down to block the crossing pass and the other was a softie from someone who has been on all year.

Overall, exciting game, few whistles even fewer penalties.

Comment

Working...
                            X