who to root for?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• who to root for?

Many of the dominant DI college hockey rosters are comprised chiefly of NHL draft picks, and many of these draft picks will drop out of college in one or two years. For verification of this situation look at the upcoming meeting between DI coaches and NHL representatives over the NHL "raiding" college hockey teams.
    College hockey fans are justifiably proud of the potential NHL caliber of their team's recruits, but the rapid departure of their best players leads to rapid roster changes and endless rebuilding efforts, with little opportunity to develop fan loyalty to a recognizable team of players. Hard-core hockey fans will continue to support their teams, but arenas are having trouble selling seats to the general public to watch teams comprised of short-term transients.
    Maybe the DI coaches meeting with the NHL reps this weekend should propose that draft choices playing DI hockey be assigned to college teams according to the NHL team which drafted them. This would provide continuity and identity missing from many DI teams today, and the association of a DI team with an NHL team and all its marketing power might fill college rinks with spectators for DI games.
    Just my two cents. Have fun.

Re: who to root for?

Brilliant. Make it happen.
    You seem to live in a dream world... do any of them ever come true?
    'Eavesdropped the BC forum in USCHO. A range of intellects over there. Mostly gentlemen, but a couple of coarse imbeciles' - academic_index, a Brown fan

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHole12 View Post
      I hope not - if the insanity of the below proposal is any indicator.

Comment

Yeah, because if you're a member of the general public contemplating a ticket purchase, then being able to root for a specific player for four seasons, as compared to two, will bond you to the team for life.

Comment

Originally posted by Osorojo View Post
          Many of the dominant DI college hockey rosters are comprised chiefly of NHL draft picks, and many of these draft picks will drop out of college in one or two years. For verification of this situation look at the upcoming meeting between DI coaches and NHL representatives over the NHL "raiding" college hockey teams.
          College hockey fans are justifiably proud of the potential NHL caliber of their team's recruits, but the rapid departure of their best players leads to rapid roster changes and endless rebuilding efforts, with little opportunity to develop fan loyalty to a recognizable team of players. Hard-core hockey fans will continue to support their teams, but arenas are having trouble selling seats to the general public to watch teams comprised of short-term transients.
          Maybe the DI coaches meeting with the NHL reps this weekend should propose that draft choices playing DI hockey be assigned to college teams according to the NHL team which drafted them. This would provide continuity and identity missing from many DI teams today, and the association of a DI team with an NHL team and all its marketing power might fill college rinks with spectators for DI games.
          You know, the NHL team does not own these players, so your idea is plain stupid.
          XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX

The reason for the talent in the west? Because MN didn't rely on Canada.

Originally posted by MN Pond Hockey
          Menards could have sold a lot of rope

this morning in Grand Forks if North Dakota had trees.

Comment

Did you even consider what would likely be a strong objection by NCAA administrators? Associating NCAA hockey with specific NHL teams would be the first step towards making our product look like another minor league.

Comment

What then would you do with the college players eligible for the draft after their freshman season?

Comment

I root for Osorojo to stop starting threads like this.
                I like chocolate milk and Kate Beckinsale and Lauren Graham and Brooke Burke and Elisha Cuthbert and Eva Longoria.

Fighting Sioux Hockey

Comment

I'm gonna go with Oso on this one. Can you explain how this would work again?

btw, if ur confused on who to root for....just adopt a Black Bear.
                  I believe in equality of effort. In life, in hockey in everything.

Comment

AIC - they need a hug and they won't lose anyone to the NHL anytime soon.
                    2006-07 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
                    2008-09 Atlantic Hockey Co-Champions!
                    2009-10 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
                    2010 Frozen Four participant
                    2010-11 Atlantic Hockey Champions!

Member of the infamous Corner Crew

Comment

Originally posted by komey1 View Post
                      AIC - they need a hug and they won't lose anyone to the NHL anytime soon.
                      And they need to find a way to get Dirty a jersey.

But seriously, if you want farm teams, Bear Red, there's this little thing called the AHL. I think they probably also have fan forums somewhere. Run to them. Thanks for wasting two minutes of my life.

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHole12 View Post
                        They probably divide by zero in his world.
                        bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

Originally posted by bigmrg74 View Post
                          His math is filled with a lot of i's.

Comment

Originally posted by bigmrg74 View Post
                            They probably also came up with a way to make two plus two equal five.

Comment

Think. Speak/Post. Repeat.
                              "The man who smiles when something has gone wrong just thought of someone to blame it on." Robert Bloch
                              Discontinued Program:http://s.ecrater.com/stores/70443/48...70e_70443n.jpg
                              The goofs might suck, but Happy swallows.
                              Brooks told me he added something to the effect that, “if you want to go into business, go to Harvard; if you want to be a hockey player, go to North Dakota...”

Comment

Working...
                              X