BG @ Alaska: Birds of Prey vs. Carnivores

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BG @ Alaska: Birds of Prey vs. Carnivores

BG travels to Fairbanks this weekend to take on the 'Nooks.

Will the Nanooks finally play 60 minutes in one game? Will BG come away with points in it's rebuilding effort?

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

Discuss.
    “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Re: BG @ Alaska: Birds of Prey vs. Carnivores

I just want to know when we get new space bear video.

Comment

Will be a big test for BG, though the team is showing some good signs, if BG can score 2-3 goals per game up there they could come away with a split, which would be a successful trip.

Comment

BG is riding the high of a three game winning streak. The longest since November 2007, when the Falcons picked up five wins with back-to-back two game sweeps of Western Mich., Ferris State, and won first of a two game series vs Northern Mich. (11/2/07-11/16/07.)

Comment

Originally posted by windycityhockeynut View Post
          Will be a big test for BG, though the team is showing some good signs, if BG can score 2-3 goals per game up there they could come away with a split, which would be a successful trip.
          How is BG's goaltending this year?
          “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

BG's got talent, but is a VERY young team. 10 freshmen and 9 sophomores will probably see action this weekend. Both goaltenders (Eno and Hammond) have shown flashes of brillance and lapses resulting in soft goals. New coach, new systems and higher expectations, both on and off the ice...we are having difficulty putting together a solid effort for all 3 periods. This weekend is a major test for BG...tough opponent, long travel and big ice...a split would be seen in BG as a real step forward. BG's weakness is in taking care of the puck in the neutral zone.
            Du hockey comme dans le temps!

Comment

If BG can score two goals a game then this series could be a toss up.

We may make it hard on BG to get those two goals, but we may be hard pressed to get a couple ourselves. I would hope that this is the weekend we find a scoring touch.

If not for a couple really bad periods I might be feeling pretty good about this team. If we would have tied and won at MSU instead of tying and losing, we'd be sounding much better. And our loss can be attributed to laying a gigantic egg Saturday night, mostly in the second period. But looking at the stats, we have been pretty much dominated in the second period in a number of games. I would think the Coach may stress that aspect of our game plan this weekend.

I still think we have good team speed, good skills, decent defense, solid goaltending, and play a well coached, disciplined game. The early problems are glaring however. Can't score and pathetic special teams play. Good thing it is way too early in the season to be concerned about those. I hope.

Go Nooks!

Comment

Originally posted by mmf View Post
                If BG can score two goals a game then this series could be a toss up.

We may make it hard on BG to get those two goals, but we may be hard pressed to get a couple ourselves. I would hope that this is the weekend we find a scoring touch.

If not for a couple really bad periods I might be feeling pretty good about this team. If we would have tied and won at MSU instead of tying and losing, we'd be sounding much better. And our loss can be attributed to laying a gigantic egg Saturday night, mostly in the second period. But looking at the stats, we have been pretty much dominated in the second period in a number of games. I would think the Coach may stress that aspect of our game plan this weekend.

I still think we have good team speed, good skills, decent defense, solid goaltending, and play a well coached, disciplined game. The early problems are glaring however. Can't score and pathetic special teams play. Good thing it is way too early in the season to be concerned about those. I hope.

Go Nooks!
                Thanks mmf, now I don't have to type much. What he said!
                All that was left, then, was for the Nanooks to celebrate with their fans. And for the Seawolves to get one last earful of the rowdies from Fairbanks.

"I've got a lot of expletives I'd like to use,'' Fournier said, slumped in his locker room stall. "It's very embarrassing when you're playing on your home ice and they have more fans and they're louder.

"We might as well have played the games in Fairbanks.''

Comment

I should probably edit my post. I'm not so sure our special teams "play" is pathetic, but the results sure have been. We seem to move the puck well on the PP (we need to get it on net more), and it's tough to have a successfull PK against 5x3's or five minute majors. Early stats are junk anyway.

Go Nooks!

Comment

I have seen four games in person so far and Andy Toranto seems to still be looking for Dion to set him up. Maybe he needs to stop reading his press clippings and start hustling and being a team player. He is pathetic on the penalty kill, no hustle, no effort. I love watching Ron Meyers play he has heart and hustles all the time never takes ashift off. They better all start playing like Meyers, and pretty soon.

Comment

BG is in the midst of a surprising (to me) three-game winning streak. The wins, however, came against Clarkson and Alabama-Huntsville. Still, BG won only five last season. BG looked very bad early in its first regular-season game against Michigan but turned things around and put in a respectable showing later in that game and in the second. Lost both, but my guys were not manhandled.

New coach, new systems. Bunch of freshmen; Fink, Mohler, and Wojtala have made their presence known. Scoring has been wanting in recent seasons, and the Falcons will have a tough time with Alaska's defense. The team will improve through the season. I expect close games this weekend.
                      Go Falcons!

Comment

The powerplay seems to look OKish when they have possession and are cycling in the offensive zone. But if they lose a faceoff or it gets cleared, it seems to be a huge struggle to get it back into the zone... I was playing special attention to that this weekend, and it seemed like they were MUCH slower through the neutral zone on the powerplay. I don't know what the deal is, or maybe I'm seeing things, I dunno... But they can flat-out fly through the neutral zone 5-on-5, but they looked about half as fast on the powerplay, would get pinched in on the boards by the blue line, and either turn the puck over, get stuck with battling for it in the corners without getting much cycling, or make a hasty dump-in that just ended up on a Spartan's stick. Maybe that's a credit to MSU's PK, I don't know.

Interesting stats with BG, the last three seasons have all been splits (1-1-0 each), 06-07 was the last time the Nooks won the series (2-1-1), and the last Nanook weekend sweep was February 2006. And in 04-05, both teams swept each other as the visiting team, and every game in that season was won by scoring 6 goals. In fact, in 7 of the last 20 games, the winning team has won by scoring 6 goals. Not sure if that means anything other than that I'm bored Also, I somehow doubt this weekend will add to that number of 6 goal games

Gotta agree about Ron Meyers though. He's gotta be one of my favorite players, just so much fun to watch on the PK, especially when he's battling 1 on 3 in the offensive zone for 30 seconds I hope he gets a shorty one of these times, he sure deserves it.

Anyway, enough rambling. I'm looking forward to seeing how the Falcons play with a new coach, and hoping for a couple of good games. Nooks winning of course

Comment

Whew a 3 game win streak! I don't care who it's against that's a definite step up but we gotta get some points up in Alaska
                          NCAA Champions: 1984

NCAA Tourney: 1977, 1978, 1979, 1982, 1984, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1990

CCHA Champions: 1976, 1978, 1979, 1982, 1983, 1984, 1987

Comment

The guys are getting chances. They just need to start burying some of them. They need to shoot the puck more. They have a habit of making that one last pass. Just Shoot! They haven't scored much on the PP, but it isn't looking all that bad. I think the scoring will come. Like I said, they are creating good looks. Taranto didn't look great early, but he has been better lately. I don't think it has a lot to do with him looking at newspaper clips of himself or anything. Actually without knowing his level of commitment, that’s a pretty ****ty thing to say. He isn't good on the PK, I agree with that. Dion is missed by everyone, not just Toranto. He was one of those rare players that made everyone better. I'm a little surprised that our PK isn't better. These games should be close, but I’ll be disappointed with anything other than a sweep. We want to make the tournament again, these type of weekends need to be sweeps period.
                            All that was left, then, was for the Nanooks to celebrate with their fans. And for the Seawolves to get one last earful of the rowdies from Fairbanks.

"I've got a lot of expletives I'd like to use,'' Fournier said, slumped in his locker room stall. "It's very embarrassing when you're playing on your home ice and they have more fans and they're louder.

"We might as well have played the games in Fairbanks.''

Comment

Convincing win for the Nooks last night. It could have been and probably should have been even more so. The 4-1 final isn't really reflective of where the teams are right now. And you have got to give credit to BG. They had a hard time skating with the Nooks early on but settled down worked hard to stay close.

The Nooks flat out dominated the first period. The Falcons adjusted a little and the Nooks seemed to lose a little steam (penalties will do that) the rest of the way. But the Nooks played solid defense and played a pretty good game overall. The Nooks definitely improved their special teams play stats, going 3 for 7 on the PP, and killing all 7 of BG's. Greenham didn't need to make a lot of spectacular saves, but handled those tough chip shots, rebounds, and bounces around the crease well.

The Nooks can't back off. BG obviously has good coaching and knows how to adjust. The Nooks need to make more of a statement. Wouldn't be surprised to see a different goaltender in for the Nooks, so the team should want to play even tougher d.

Petovello is really showing why he is captain. He leads by example.

A few photos from last night's game.

Cody Kunyk had our only 5x5 goal about 9 min into the game, then Petovello scored this PP goal with 1 minute left in the first, making it 2-0 Nooks...
                              *****http://mmf.smugmug.com/Alaska-Nanook-Hockey/2010-11-CCHA-Games/BGSU-vs-UAF-Oct-29-2010/20101029-36/1069950959_ZdyVQ-L.jpg******

There were a number of opportunities in the 2nd, including this attempt by Dustin Sather...
                              *****http://mmf.smugmug.com/Alaska-Nanook-Hockey/2010-11-CCHA-Games/BGSU-vs-UAF-Oct-29-2010/20101029-105/1069951409_MXcUw-L.jpg******

Captain Kevin Petovello has really stepped his game up for the Nooks, playing in the tough spots and leading by example...
                              *****http://mmf.smugmug.com/Alaska-Nanook-Hockey/2010-11-CCHA-Games/BGSU-vs-UAF-Oct-29-2010/20101029-67/1069967626_goaSw-L.jpg******

Scott Greenham was there when needed and did a good job controlling the junk around the crease...
                              *****http://mmf.smugmug.com/Alaska-Nanook-Hockey/2010-11-CCHA-Games/BGSU-vs-UAF-Oct-29-2010/20101029-123/1069951742_k3pKb-L.jpg******

Jarret Grandberg's hard work paid off on this PP goal with about 4 minutes into the 3rd, making it 3-0 Nooks...
                              *****http://mmf.smugmug.com/Alaska-Nanook-Hockey/2010-11-CCHA-Games/BGSU-vs-UAF-Oct-29-2010/20101029-112/1069951557_nx82L-L.jpg******

After a Falcon score made it 3-1, Petovello tallied this PP goal, his second of the game, with about 3 minutes left to get to the final 4-1 score.
                              *****http://mmf.smugmug.com/Alaska-Nanook-Hockey/2010-11-CCHA-Games/BGSU-vs-UAF-Oct-29-2010/20101029-140/1069951905_dQYh7-L.jpg******

A few more photos from last night's BGSU vs UAF game HERE
                              Last edited by mmf; 10-30-2010, 01:42 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X