Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

H/H Oct 29&30- the undefeated Boston team vs the artists formerly known as Chiefs.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: H/H Oct 29&30- the undefeated Boston team vs the artists formerly known as Chiefs

Originally posted by BU2K View Post
    I figure one of these times we have to stop the extra attacker goal...
    Or get an empty-netter.
    Places I've seen a college hockey game: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Bright Center, Consol Energy Center, Conte Forum, DCU Center, Fenway Park, Gutterson Fieldhouse, Houston Field House, Lawler Arena, Madison Square Garden, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Schneider Arena, Scottrade Center, Sears Centre, Tampa Bay Times Forum, TD Bank Sports Center, TD Garden, Tsongas Center, Tully Forum, Verizon Center, Verizon Wireless Arena, Walter Brown Arena, Wells Fargo Center, Whittemore Center

Comment

Re: H/H Oct 29&30- the undefeated Boston team vs the artists formerly known as Chiefs

Originally posted by UML View Post
      I'll base it on the level of competition. Wisconsin and ND aren't that good this year and we all know about UMass and PC. But I know this is going to be two very tough games for UML.
      Are you not sold on UNH's road split with the #1 team in the country and home tie with another top 5 team?
      time to write new history

Comment

Originally posted by slurpees View Post
        Are you not sold on UNH's road split with the #1 team in the country and home tie with another top 5 team?
        i'd be inclined to defer to lowell fans... if anyone can judge teams that beat the chit outta them year to year, it's lowell.
        a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

BU is going to win by 5 on aggregate this weekend... something like 4-1 and 5-3.

Comment

UML fans, how have the new goalies looked? Stats aren't exactly impressive, but they rarely tell the whole story. Also whats the story on Massie, hes listed on your guy's roster again, but doesn't seem to have registered any time.

Comment

Originally posted by slurpees View Post
              based on?
              We all know that the Big 4 can put up offensive numbers at any time. Unlike BC and Maine, I'm not sure that BU and UNH can match that defensively over the course of the year.

BU has played UMass twice and PC one and while they have a 2-0-1 league record, 8 against 6 in the goal department isn't really lighting it up against two teams that are supposed to be at the 'bottom of the HE barrel'. They've had a good IceBreaker championship winning that. All of BU's wins have been by one goal (I expect that to change this weekend), but no team can play & expect to do this over the long haul night in and night out.

UNH will go as far as their defense and goalie will allow. DiGirolamo 3.13 GAA has to come down to play with the big boys come March. UNH's 77.8% PK has to dramatically improve over the course of the year.

Are BU and UNH solid teams, of course. However, on the whole of HE they are a full step below BC and Maine in my opinion and are more susceptiable to the UVM's, Merrimack's, and NU's of the league.

Lowell has a lot of work to do this weekend and I'd be happy with a point from our house tomorrow night. It's a tall order but doable. I expect another one-goal game on Friday. I'll give BU a two-goal win on Saturday.
              Last edited by John_Fuller; 10-28-2010, 10:27 PM.
              - John

2013, 2014, 2017: UML Hockey: Hockey East Champions!

Comment

Originally posted by Agganis View Post
                UML fans, how have the new goalies looked? Stats aren't exactly impressive, but they rarely tell the whole story. Also whats the story on Massie, hes listed on your guy's roster again, but doesn't seem to have registered any time.
                Briefly, they have looked like true freshmen (i.e Maine). There are signs of talent and both of them could be very servicable goalies in their careers, but it's going to take a year or so. The defense hasn't helped them much either so it's not all on them. Boulanger, in my thoughts is the more confident of the two goaltenders, but Carr does have a bit more talent. You'll likely see both goalies in action as they have swapped night for the first two full weekends of play.
                - John

Comment

Originally posted by John_Fuller View Post
                  Unlike BC and Maine, I'm not sure that BU and UNH can match that defensively over the course of the year.
                  The following are facts:

-UNH and Maine each return 6 starting d-men.
                  -UNH ranked 3rd in conference play last year with a 2.85 GAA.
                  -Maine ranked 9th at 3.33.
                  -UNH and Maine each have new goalies.
                  -UNH's (DiGirolamo) has a .912 save percentage.
                  -Maine's (Sirman and Sullivan) are at .899 and .878, respectively.
                  -BU's Millan is at .927.
                  -Maine is giving up 2.83 goals per game this season.
                  -BU is giving up 2.60.

I agree with you that Maine is a better team than BU and UNH, but I don't see how you can say that Maine has any sort of defensive advantage over BU and UNH. Maine is better because its offense is off-the-charts ridiculous.
                  Places I've seen a college hockey game: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Bright Center, Consol Energy Center, Conte Forum, DCU Center, Fenway Park, Gutterson Fieldhouse, Houston Field House, Lawler Arena, Madison Square Garden, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Schneider Arena, Scottrade Center, Sears Centre, Tampa Bay Times Forum, TD Bank Sports Center, TD Garden, Tsongas Center, Tully Forum, Verizon Center, Verizon Wireless Arena, Walter Brown Arena, Wells Fargo Center, Whittemore Center

Comment

Originally posted by Federal League View Post
                    The following are facts:

I don't see how you can say that Maine has any sort of defensive advantage over BU and UNH. Maine is better because its offense is off-the-charts ridiculous.
                    Well they are returning all 6 D, unlike BU, but based on that GAA that might be a negative

Comment

Originally posted by Federal League View Post
                      The following are facts:

-UNH ranked 3rd in conference play last year with a 2.85 GAA.
                      -UNH and Maine each have new goalies.
                      -UNH's (DiGirolamo) has a .912 save percentage.
                      -Maine's (Sirman and Sullivan) are at .899 and .878, respectively.
                      -BU's Millan is at .927.
                      -Maine is giving up 2.83 goals per game this season.
                      -BU is giving up 2.60.

I agree with you that Maine is a better team than BU and UNH, but I don't see how you can say that Maine has any sort of defensive advantage over BU and UNH. Maine is better because its offense is off-the-charts ridiculous.
                      Here's some more facts...

ME GAA: 2.76
                      ME GAPG: 2.83

Granted, I'll give you that Millan has played out of his skull and like the goalie from 2008-2009 but is this a glimpse or is this for real?

I don't like using save pct. for this reason...DiGirolamo and to a lesser extent Millan, is absolutely getting peppered and to their credit have performed.

UNH Shots Allowed/Game: 37.2 That's a lot of rubber, 12.4 / period.
                      BU Shots Allowed/Game: 31.4 Better, but I'm sure BU fans would like that under 30.
                      ME Shots Allowed/Game: 24.5 That's a little over 8 shots a period, not bad.

I don't know but allowing 7 to almost 13 fewer shots per game is a big defensive accomplishment, advantage, and a key to look at a team's defense. Ten more shots give up by Maine and that's over an extra goal per game and paints a very different picture up in Orono. On the other extreme, imagine if Sirman and Co. in Orono had a .913/.927 save pct. If they got .920 as a team, that would be 2.00 / game for GA.

Let's look at my River Hawks. They are allowing some 35 shots per game, much more rubber than hoped for on two inexperienced goalies. In fact, both Lowell goalies have a better save pct. than Maine's Sullivan, Boulanger at .882, Carr at .888 so for Agganis, it's proof that as much as the goalies have had a rough introduction, Lowell's defense ain't helping.
                      Last edited by John_Fuller; 10-28-2010, 11:56 PM.
                      - John

Comment

For anyone not going, we'll be live blogging both games this weekend.

Comment

I see a high-scoring see-saw battle tonight with either a tie or a one goal BU win. Tomorrow night I see BU settling things down with a 4-1 victory.

I agree with John that this team is not yet as good as it's record. They are fortunate to have weaker league competition at the start while they figure things out. But if they were playing better teams, they would be a .500 team. The icebreaker was tough competition for sure, and as we've all said, all those 1-goal victories are a good omen. But given the young defense, this team will hit some rough patches. I think they'll make the NCAAs, but won't be a 1 or 2 seed.
                          BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

Working...
                          X