PDA

View Full Version : Northeastern Recruits

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Federal League
04-25-2011, 07:26 PM
It's not really bad journalism, this hasn't been reported as 100% fact at this point. Because the reporter apparently only as one source (weird that it's a guy in Minnesota/North Dakota who has this source) he reported it as "expected" to leave, meaning it's not a total done deal, and he's reporting a story that should be heard, and I'm assuming this is a credible source, despite it only being one source.

There's definitely nothing wrong with CHN's work here. They're just reporting something that's already been reported, and they make it clear where they got the info. I'm sure they're doing their own reporting on it, but people don't always get back to you in a timely manner, especially when one of the people you're trying to get comment from (Cronin) is out of the country. Hell, it took Glass nearly two weeks to get back to me when I was working on that story. And people are always gonna be reluctant to go on the record, even anonymously, for a story like this.

As for Smith (the Fargo reporter), you never wanna run a story (or tweet about it) with only one source unless you're absolutely 100 percent sure that person knows what they're talking about. I don't really know how good or bad of a reporter Smith is -- I've read some of his stuff and he seems pretty good -- but I would like to think he wouldn't have run that if he wasn't confident in his info. There's also the possibility that he heard the same info from more than that one person, but no one else would even let him use them anonymously (aka they said it off the record). I've had that happen plenty. But if you get one person on the record as an anonymous source and four or five others telling you the same thing off it, then I think you can confidently run that story.

Obviously we have no idea just how credible Smith's source is, though, until something actually happens or until someone else confirms or refutes his report.

/Journalism lesson

canada1
04-25-2011, 10:23 PM
Federal League....I'm not a journalist...as apparently you are. I stand corrected! My only protection is purely---semantics----I said "pretty poor" not "bad".....and even that's not a good excuse. I guess I would have liked to have seen a better base for what could be a really important story....my only saving grace will be if the rumor is not true! Nevertheless, I will be more careful of my words in future posts. Finally, needless to say, I'm one of those who hope it is false.

Huskies01
04-25-2011, 10:32 PM
I'm not questioning you, and I am certainly not trying to give credibility to Hokiedope at all, but it would seem to me that if Cronin knows about it and is sick of the lies he could very easily make a phone call to say that it is untrue. A press statement from him or the univiersity..... The silence out of him is why there are "lies" in the first place.

i thought the same thing, but it sets a bad precedent to have to answer rumors on the internet. You do it once, you are expected to do it all the time, and the one time you dont, it makes it look like something fishy is going on even if its not.

The team just had their dinner two weeks ago, nobody came out of their thinking he was not coming back, he is in Europe right now, so he aint going to quit now, and I doubt when he gets back.

He has a pretty stacked team coming back if no one else leaves early. especially on the blue line. I would think he would like to think he could take one more run at putting a banner of some kind up in Matthews before he leaves.

And nobody wants to answer this one, why would Vinny come to a team knowing the coach was leaving?

And why is anyone paying attention to a guy out in Fargo and Hokeydad? It would be one thing if it came out of a Boston Blog, but this is like Sarah Palin seeing Russia from her house.

Yeah he might leave for a NHL gig, but which coaches on any team wouldnt? Outside of the two old guys on Comm Ave.

northeastern
04-25-2011, 10:43 PM
Well if he shows up at the Royal Wedding wearing a Bridgeport hat.. just so inappropriate.. to all concerned :)

Agganis
04-25-2011, 11:28 PM
And nobody wants to answer this one, why would Vinny come to a team knowing the coach was leaving?

Because he wants to play BU as many times as possible and BC already said no? This isn't a trick question, right?

northeastern
04-25-2011, 11:39 PM
Because he wants to play BU as many times as possible and BC already said no? This isn't a trick question, right?

With all the forwards/ offense we lost.. nice to get some back.
Will make for some added drama in our matchups, that's for sure. :)

jcarter7669
04-26-2011, 07:23 AM
There's definitely nothing wrong with CHN's work here.

/Journalism lesson

Outside of the obvious inaccuracy in saying that Vinny plays for Fargo.

i thought the same thing, but it sets a bad precedent to have to answer rumors on the internet. You do it once, you are expected to do it all the time, and the one time you dont, it makes it look like something fishy is going on even if its not.

Good point. Still, if he is "complaining" about lies being spread then I would still think he would clue someone in. I am sure several reporters have tried to contact him. He could answer it point blank and not set a precedence, at least not in the same way as a press release. But, time will tell. I had assumed he hadn't addressed it because he simply wasn't aware of it, with bigger things going on, but if he knows AND is bothered by it, again a simple return call to FL or someone would be a quick and easy fix.

Agganis
04-26-2011, 09:50 AM
With all the forwards/ offense we lost.. nice to get some back.
Will make for some added drama in our matchups, that's for sure. :)

No doubt a solid pick up, he was a contributor at a HE school as a frosh/soph and will come back with a vengeance to prove his doubters wrong.

My comment had more to do with when he originially announced he was going to BC any conversation he had about the decision mentioned BU more than he mentioned BC, once BC said no it was pretty clear if NU wanted him he would be theres.

boblav1
04-26-2011, 11:40 AM

and to be able to stay in Boston where he and his pal can perform at local clubs. :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BKP2evFF1s

northeastern
04-26-2011, 12:14 PM
and to be able to stay in Boston where he and his pal can perform at local clubs. :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BKP2evFF1s

that's what happens when you're not studying, skating or on co-op..
too much free time. We'll straighten him out. :)

Huskies01
04-26-2011, 08:19 PM

And he cant do that at Maine or UNH or Merrimack? Is he that hung up on the Beanpot? Has a thing for Chinatown?

Point is, if you were him, and you knew Cronin was leaving, and you dont know who is going to be the coach, wouldnt you want to go somewhere where there is stability? What is his final goal? To play in the NHL, correct? So why commit to a school if you have no idea who the coach is going to be and if that guy has any track record of getting guys to the highest level? Especially this late in the game for him.

I know its the same for all the other recruits, but they all committed a long time ago, he is committing now, when the rumors are circulating.

jcarter7669
04-27-2011, 08:06 AM
And he cant do that at Maine or UNH or Merrimack? Is he that hung up on the Beanpot? Has a thing for Chinatown?

Point is, if you were him, and you knew Cronin was leaving, and you dont know who is going to be the coach, wouldnt you want to go somewhere where there is stability? What is his final goal? To play in the NHL, correct? So why commit to a school if you have no idea who the coach is going to be and if that guy has any track record of getting guys to the highest level? Especially this late in the game for him.

I know its the same for all the other recruits, but they all committed a long time ago, he is committing now, when the rumors are circulating.

Well, first off I don't believe Cronin is leaving. I think its a remote possibility but I would be surprised. That said, there are a lot of reasons that Vin may have chosed Northeastern. First, he can't get into BC and BU booted him. Maybe he wants to remain in the Boston area and continue playing in HE. Maybe he figures that with the offensive losses he can step in and be the goto guy, get lots of first line opportunity and be the star on the team. It's possible that after playing with a kid like Gaudreau he figured heck, we put up a ton of points and have some chemistry together, and maybe that will help offensive production. Maybe he has a girlfriend in Boston that he wants to be closer to. Maybe he has an aversion to turtlenecks and well, who really wants to play for Timmay. I think there are plenty of possibilities as to why VS may have chosen NU with or without Cronin.

NUFan2005
04-27-2011, 08:22 AM
According the Herald, the rumors are false. Glad someone finally tracked Cronin down.

http://bostonherald.com/sports/college/hockey/view/2011_0427huskies_cronin_staying/

northeastern
04-27-2011, 08:31 AM
I remember (couple seasons back).. Joe Cucci played for NU. Cronin & him did not see eye to eye & they parted ways. He has played pretty well for Merrimack since.. and had a pretty solid year for the Warriors last season. Scored a hat trick against us,when they played us last time at Matthews.

These things can work pretty well at times.. or (if you take Vermont's case of players leaving/ being booted off).. not so well in other circumstances.

Either way, we have ourselves a new forward.. i think he'll be fine.
Hopefully with Cronin staying put.. team will be fine as well :).

jcarter7669
04-27-2011, 09:21 AM
According the Herald, the rumors are false. Glad someone finally tracked Cronin down.

http://bostonherald.com/sports/college/hockey/view/2011_0427huskies_cronin_staying/

Good to hear it straight from Cronin. But for the love of god, how come none of these idiot reporters can figure out that Saponari doesn't play for Fargo. Makes it really hard to trust the rest of the story. Laziness Mr. Connelly...

northeastern
04-27-2011, 10:04 AM
Good to hear it straight from Cronin...

...he released it (statement that is).. :)
Hopefully hoaxy dads everywhere & some of our fanboy friends will find someone else to scare.

Hokydad
04-27-2011, 10:22 AM
hope so, he produces fun teams to watch.
if you read what he said though, read a little closer. "Leaving to take unspecified job". Could simply mean nothing in place yet. "Plans on returning", plans do change.

Northeastern University hockey coach Greg Cronin yesterday shot down an unconfirmed report that he was leaving his position with the Huskies to take an unspecified job with an unnamed AHL franchise.

Cronin was tracked down in Innsbruck, Austria, where he was traveling with Team USA while en route to the world championships in Slovakia.

I have no idea where its coming from, Cronin said. I have nothing to comment on.

When asked if he plans to return to NU, Cronin answered simply, Yes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZUMgI1oBFM

Sit down councilor

jcarter7669
04-27-2011, 10:58 AM
there was never an option of him coming back, ever

Remember, you heard it here first. http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/3729/a1crystalballrd6.gif

Nick Papagiorgio
04-27-2011, 11:07 AM
Remember, you heard it here first.

Maybe it is a good idea to wait until we actually see Cronin behind the bench at Matthews in October before we declare hokey to be wrong on this one. The guy knows what he is talking far more often than not.

Ryecheers
04-27-2011, 11:39 AM

It's not on my calendar, but today must National Rumor Squelch Day! We've Seen Obama's birth certificate. We've heard from Cronin. Bernanke is speaking later. What else can we clear up today? Nessie? The Yeti? Any suggestions?