USCHO Upgrade - Good or Bad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: USCHO Upgrade - Good or Bad?

I have found that on Friday and Saturday night's, the response time for this site is extremely slow. I go here to to look for the scores of the games in progress and I end up giving up since the site has been timing out a lot. I hope it gets better.
    What did you say?
    Who own the Chiefs?
    What did he say?
    Owns! Owns!

Comment

Database errors up the wazoo. I also saw a tcp error for the main site. I realize it's only the first week and there will always be kinks to work out, but... you'd think there'd be some form of quality control somewhere...

Comment

For people like me who mostly post of their work computers this sucks because I can't down load a new browser and hence can't see half of the stuff on the web site.
        I am Tommyboy, and I approve this message.

In Bob we Trust!

The Herb Brooks National Hockey Center..... I wonder who originally came up with that.

Comment

Originally posted by scsutommyboy View Post
          for people like me who mostly post of their work computers this sucks because i can't down load a new browser and hence can't see half of the stuff on the web site.
          this!
          Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
          The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
            Database errors up the wazoo. I also saw a tcp error for the main site. I realize it's only the first week and there will always be kinks to work out, but... you'd think there'd be some form of quality control somewhere...
            It's hard to understand why this wasn't done in the offseason. They both installed a new version of vBulletin and changed the site itself. It seems like they didn't beta test the site itself at all because almost nothing worked correctly at first. I can't blame them for most of the problems with vB.
            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Gibber View Post
              Yeah, the last version had a decent mobile version of the message board, and now it goes to this same exact thing which is a PITA to navigate on my phone even w/ the touch screen... do they have a mobile version with a different url perhaps?

For that reason, I say bad, but otherwise, on a laptop or desktop despite getting used to the look, its no different than any other change and we'll forget about it in a few weeks...hopefully
              Seems like the only mobile options out there are
              http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=228986
              http://www.tapatalk.com/

top link is a vBulletin style suited for mobile browsing. USCHO would have to add it as a viewing style option and they could even impliment a browser detector so that it would automatically switch styles.
              Second link is an iphone/android/blackberry app. Users download the app, but the forum owners still have to install the plugin on their site for the app to function.

Comment

Well, someone's reading the thread. There is now a "Switch to Mobile Style" link on the top, and my iPod has a different look to the site than before. It loads a more streamlined version rather than the bulky full site.
                “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

This site has been very slow on Friday and Saturday nights since the "upgrade".
                  What did you say?
                  Who own the Chiefs?
                  What did he say?
                  Owns! Owns!

Comment

Originally posted by gochiefs View Post
                    This site has been very slow on Friday and Saturday nights since the "upgrade".
                    It's been slow on Friday and Saturday nights since Al Gore invented the interwebs.
                    Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                    The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                      It's hard to understand why this wasn't done in the offseason. They both installed a new version of vBulletin and changed the site itself. It seems like they didn't beta test the site itself at all because almost nothing worked correctly at first. I can't blame them for most of the problems with vB.
                      I don't have time for a lot of comments on this. We did test things but not under full load. The broken URL problems and load issues stemmed primarily from a WordPress plugin that kept corrupting the database. We have had numerous problems with third-party software that did not reveal themselves until we went live. It has not been fun or easy.

We have a one-person part-time tech staff responsible for maintaining all of the servers and doing all of the development whose hours each month work out to being paid less than minimum wage. Trying to fix these issues has not been fun. But if you all like, you mail email the owner and ask him to fire the tech "staff." At this point, he would be overjoyed.

The reason it wasn't done in the off-season is that there are just so many hours part time and it took the off-season to get everything done.

Comment

Based on my limited experience on the site thus far, I would say this is a step backwards.

That said, let's have some perspective. If Henry Ford had asked a wide-range of Americans what they needed to improve their lives / experience....they would have all said faster horses.

Perhaps there is a grand plan here that will make sense in the coming weeks / months

Comment

Originally posted by Ed Trefzger View Post
                          I don't have time for a lot of comments on this. We did test things but not under full load. The broken URL problems and load issues stemmed primarily from a WordPress plugin that kept corrupting the database. We have had numerous problems with third-party software that did not reveal themselves until we went live. It has not been fun or easy.

We have a one-person part-time tech staff responsible for maintaining all of the servers and doing all of the development whose hours each month work out to being paid less than minimum wage. Trying to fix these issues has not been fun. But if you all like, you mail email the owner and ask him to fire the tech "staff." At this point, he would be overjoyed.

The reason it wasn't done in the off-season is that there are just so many hours part time and it took the off-season to get everything done.
                          Sorry, Ed.

My comments were based upon the way it looked to me as a user and enjoyer of both parts of the site and the information contained therein. I am not an expert -- far from it -- of what went on to change things, as I am too old to have had training in the languages used. I just generalize from what I do know. I do understand that things can work differently under load.

Remember that, to the best of my knowledge, we had no advance warning of what was going to happen. Should we have been informed? I don't know the answer to that. Certainly many other sites are modified without forewarning. However, information might have calmed down the threads that have sprung out all over the forum containing mostly negative comments from a broad spectrum of the community. I assume that you have also received a deluge of email.

I do think that the look and feel of most of the main site is a significant improvement, but initially almost none of the links worked, and some still don't work. Some of the changes, I do not regard as improvements, but others might regard them as improvements, and in any case I will probably get used to them as it has only been a couple of days
                          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                            However, information might have calmed down the threads that have sprung out all over the forum containing mostly negative comments from a broad spectrum of the community. I assume that you have also received a deluge of email.
                            You're right about the information. I've been too focused on the work at hand so I'll suggest it to others. I've gotten helpful emails and I've gotten nasty ones. Way too many profanity-laden nasty ones.

Comment

I think we've ironed out the situation with links to teams, stats, etc. All of the pages starting with /scoreboard, /stats, /team, /rankings, /box, /conference all are routed through third-party software that allows us to embed these statistical pages within WordPress (which is what is now running the content areas.) That single software plugin was failing and that was causing those links all to fail. I reverted to an older version of the plugin and that fixed it. We've also made adjustments to our site caching software which should help.

When I have a chance, perhaps over the weekend, I'm going to start a tech blog on the site to share updates on stuff. I do want to get the bugs squashed as there's some new stuff you'll really like that I'm dying to get launched.

As far as the reasons for the change, primarily it was to get the site onto WordPress for the bulk of the content so that we could leverage its developer community and so our writers could post their own content. Our D-I writers, who were writing once-weekly columns, are now writing a column and at minimum three blog posts a week, so that we have more and fresher content from them. We've got other things planned, yes.

The biggest part of this undertaking was importing 15 years of content, about 20,000 articles, into WordPress, and converting almost that many years of statistics.

Comment

the mobile site is a huge improvement now on my iPhone. thanks a lot!

Comment

Working...
                                X