Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Could we interest you in a deer for a win? (Michigan Tech @ WisconSIN - 10/29-30)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Could we interest you in a deer for a win? (Michigan Tech @ WisconSIN - 10/29-30

Originally posted by Yager View Post
    Just saying, it was my third year in a row going to Madison for the games and it was the worst treatment that I have had from opposing fans as a whole from any other rink thus far. And I have been to UND at least 5 times, Mankato twice, SCSU twice, Minnesota 3 times, UAA once, Duluth 3 times, and many other CCHA games, some Tech non-con away games, and a lot of neutral site games.
    I don't like to hear stuff like this, but I really don't think it's representative of all of us. I've had great times over the years sitting next to opposing fans.

The only ones that are never fun are Gopher fans. They just seem bitter.

Comment

• Re: Could we interest you in a deer for a win? (Michigan Tech @ WisconSIN - 10/29-30

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
      It was probably the worst, simply because Tech got swept and you were alone...traveling in a group really helps with some of that crap...especially when bigblue and I aren't around
      Ha, the group thing, yes. But I actually really enjoyed the games. Tech was playing pretty solid. Both teams got the bad end of a lot of bounces (the ice was HORRIBLE) and the reffing. Despite some sloppy play due to the ice, both teams played some good hockey and it was fun to watch. Genoe was absolutely insane on both nights. The D just made some really bad mistakes on Saturday that cost us every time. But the most important thing is that they finished Sat's third period strong. They were skating full out and hitting everyone they could, trying to take something from the game.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
        I don't like to hear stuff like this, but I really don't think it's representative of all of us. I've had great times over the years sitting next to opposing fans.

The only ones that are never fun are Gopher fans. They just seem bitter.
        See bolded/underlined. I've never been harassed in a mean fashion (except by the Martina Navratilova usher at UND) wherever I've gone. And I think some people here would agree that I deserve to be at times.

Bad apples in every group.
        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
        Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
          Bad apples in every group.
          ding. ding. ding.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Schwartz View Post
            ding. ding. ding.
            This is very true. Our group has shoot-him-like-a-horse bb_dl.
            Last edited by Yager; 11-02-2010, 02:42 AM.

Comment

Unfortunately, I had to miss attending this year's series in WI as I got sent to Saudi Arabia on business this past weekend. However I will say, what I have read in this thread is typical of every other year that I have attended games in Madison. To put things in perspective, as a visiting fan I am treated better at NMU (who without question is our biggest rival year in year out) than I am at WI. The Kohl center is typical of any venue where the older alumni vastly out number the students in the rink: They know to yell "sieve", they know how to do a prepared chant after they score, and in the case of WI they sing "Varsity" at the end of the game. Other than that, they sit on their hands and wait for one of those three things to happen so they can participate. (Oh yeah, and I forgot they also boo when a D-man uses his hand on the puck in the D-zone and *gasp* the rep doesn't call a penalty.)

One year a fan went so far as to drop the F-bomb on me in the lower bowl because I didn't sway with Varisty like the rest of my row. Duh, I didn't go to your school why the heck would I sing Varsity? Should I sing "Hail to the Victors" every time a Michigan football game is on ABC? I'm wearing a jersey of the visiting team why the heck would you expect me to? I don't expect a visiting fan to stand and clap for the Tech fight song. I think that pretty much goes without saying for someone with any common sense.

I admit that I am not a "shy" fan when I attend on the road. I wear the Tech colors and I stand and cheer when Tech does well. But, I can say without a doubt you will never be treated worse than when you are attending a game at the Kohl center. Heck the weekend before I had seats directly behind the BU bench AT BU and I wore a gold Tech jersey and even the equipment guy came over and struck up a conversation during warm-ups with me. I expect to take a certain amount of ribbing, booing, etc when you go on the road. I'm in your barn and I'm a visitor, I get that. But the personal attacks and the language I hear directed at visitors in the Kohl Center has no place in sports.

I am proud to be a part of Tech and that will never change. It's the home fans with the I'm gonna kick your @-$-$ mentality that blows my mind. If you wouldn't say it to someone when YOU were on the road, then it has no place being said in your own building when a visitor comes to your barn. And some of it has no place EVERY being said, in any location, for any reason. Yes, I agree, that some fans do not represent everyone, but in the case of Wisconsin, unfortunately the problem fans are the majority, not the minority, which is why their fans have the rep that they do.

Ryan J
              Last edited by JohnsonsJerseys; 11-02-2010, 07:26 AM.
              Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
              https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
              Originally posted by geezer
              Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
              Originally posted by manurespreader
              ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

The first time I went to the Kohl Center when Tech played there during 2004-2005 season we sat a few rows from the top of the arena. During the game two Wisconsin "fans" came out of their way to come up and sit by us and harass us. They finally left after they realized we were ignoring them. Another gentlemen nearby kindly offered us employment if we were Electrical Engineers.
                Originally posted by SCSU Euro
                What are you TALKING about? Best fans, best travelling, best insults nobody else understands, best talking in nerdy code. MTU rocks at like everything but winning hockey games.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post

Long rant cut...

I am proud to be a part of Tech and that will never change. It's the home fans with the I'm gonna kick your @-$-$ mentality that blows my mind. If you wouldn't say it to someone when YOU were on the road, then it has no place being said in your own building when a visitor comes to your barn. And some of it has no place EVERY being said, in any location, for any reason. Yes, I agree, that some fans do not represent everyone, but in the case of Wisconsin, unfortunately the problem fans are the majority, not the minority, which is why their fans have the rep that they do.

Ryan J
                  Well if we have that rep anyway, then go F yourself.

Comment

Another thing...

If it's so bad here, why would you people keep coming?

You should have seen the things that happened to me/us up at the old Met Center when me and my buddies would wear our Blackhawks jerseys to the games against the North Stars. There weren't just physical threats, there were physical confrontations at times.

You people are worried about a few people saying some off color stuff? Don't come here and don't wear your god-awful jersey if you can't handle that. If you stand up and loudly cheer for your team in an opponent's building when something goes bad for the home team, you have to be ready to be told to sit down or f-u-c-k off. It shouldn't ever get physical, of course, but you're going to have to expect the verbal stuff.

I used to go to the old stadium to watch the Hawks and there would sometimes be more fights in the stands than on the ice. You whiney little b-i-t-c-h-e-s wouldn't have lasted 10 seconds in there.

Comment

Another thing...

If it's so bad here, why would you people keep coming?

You should have seen the things that happened to me/us up at the old Met Center when me and my buddies would wear our Blackhawks jerseys to the games against the North Stars. There weren't just physical threats, there were physical confrontations at times.

You people are worried about a few people saying some off color stuff? Don't come here and don't wear your god-awful jersey if you can't handle that. If you stand up and loudly cheer for your team in an opponent's building when something goes bad for the home team, you have to be ready to be told to sit down or f-u-c-k off. It shouldn't ever get physical, of course, but you're going to have to expect the verbal stuff.

I used to go to the old stadium to watch the Hawks and there would sometimes be more fights in the stands than on the ice. You whiney little b-i-t-c-h-e-s wouldn't have lasted 10 seconds in there.
                      We come to support our team and if you notice, those that have gone still have a good time...we just like to point out to those here that it is our experience that Badger fans have a tendency to be the worst we've dealt with and many of us travel all over the wcha and beyond. I could really care less if someone comes up and threatens me. For the most part they wouldn't be able to follow through on their threat anyway. We can complain about how stupid some of your fans are and still enjoy the overall experience can't we? Can you not handle the fact that we think your fan base as a whole is a bunch of a-holes? I personally get a kick out of how much attention your student section gives me and the general back and forth we have on weekends, especially when MTU gets points against the mighty badgers...
                      Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

You should get back to what's really important here. Planning the party for when Phil dies.
                        Last edited by Dirty; 11-02-2010, 01:20 PM.
                        Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
                        when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
                        Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                          We come to support our team and if you notice, those that have gone still have a good time...we just like to point out to those here that it is our experience that Badger fans have a tendency to be the worst we've dealt with and many of us travel all over the wcha and beyond. I could really care less if someone comes up and threatens me. For the most part they wouldn't be able to follow through on their threat anyway. We can complain about how stupid some of your fans are and still enjoy the overall experience can't we? Can you not handle the fact that we think your fan base as a whole is a bunch of a-holes? I personally get a kick out of how much attention your student section gives me and the general back and forth we have on weekends, especially when MTU gets points against the mighty badgers...
                          I know how I act towards other people and that's all I can control. I walk around the concourse during games and I've never once seen anything that looks remotely like a confrontation. Most of the people I see at the games are old or young families and I watch opposing fans walking around in their jerseys without challenge.

I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but I find it hard to believe that folks here in hippy-town are the worst in the country.

I couldn't care less what you think about our fans. My point is, why come here if it's so bad? I gotta think that there are plenty of other road trips that could be taken.

Glad you enjoy the back and forth with the students, but my guess would be that it's from them that you are getting most of the hostility. And if verbal jabs are gonna upset you, grow thicker skin.

In general, I've appreciated your fans' dedication to your team, but if you decide not to come here anymore, and then complain, it won't break my heart.

Comment

My point is, why come here if it's so bad? I gotta think that there are plenty of other road trips that could be taken.
                            I will stop going to the Kohl when Tech stops playing there. I will be at all of those "other road trips", too. Wisconsin is the second shortest distance WCHA opponent, unless I have some major time conflict with school, I will be there.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
                              I know how I act towards other people and that's all I can control. I walk around the concourse during games and I've never once seen anything that looks remotely like a confrontation. Most of the people I see at the games are old or young families and I watch opposing fans walking around in their jerseys without challenge.

I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but I find it hard to believe that folks here in hippy-town are the worst in the country.

I couldn't care less what you think about our fans. My point is, why come here if it's so bad? I gotta think that there are plenty of other road trips that could be taken.

Glad you enjoy the back and forth with the students, but my guess would be that it's from them that you are getting most of the hostility. And if verbal jabs are gonna upset you, grow thicker skin.

In general, I've appreciated your fans' dedication to your team, but if you decide not to come here anymore, and then complain, it won't break my heart.
                              You really aren't listening, we enjoy the trip tremendously dispite the fact that there has been some trouble with your fans. I grew up about an hour from Madison and plan to attend any time the huskies return. The only reason I wasn't there was because it was Halloween (expensive lodging) and I had help lined up for some help for remodeling work. 90% of our time in Madison is a blast from drinking with badger players, singing our school songs/cheers down state street, having the student section direct cheers at me, even the free ice cream . The fact that the other 10% is the worst many of us have dealt with doesn't change the fact that some of my best roadtrip memories happened in Madison.
                              Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Yeah, how believable is it that same fan base that had to be reprimanded by the admin for behavior at football games would also behave badly at hockey games?

Comment

Working...
                                X