Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: No Reply At All

Originally posted by fbushey View Post
    I was wondering if can tell me why EC had so many short-handed chances against Cortland.
    Not only short handed chances, but odd-man rushes as well. Here are my hypotheses:
    1) You only get SH chances on the kill, and EC took too many @#$% penalties, some quite stupid.
    2) Cortland played OSU to OT the prior night and beating Oswego would have been much more gratifying than beating Elmira. CU was running on fumes.
    3) EC's speed guys (Vallaincort, Acorn, Hoey, Willer, Clewlow & Sanders) were overall too quick for CU
    4) EC is getting really deft at anticipating lazy puck movement and jumped some passing lanes
    5) The combination of 2,3&4 had EC's forwards salivating when they sensed CU was getting sloppy

The converse was also true, that EC gave up a couple of uncharacteristic odd-man goals by being a bit too aggressive. To answer your 2nd question, this was not how they typically play on the penalty kill. They do more of what Johnny explained. In fact, I surmised to RonT after EC went up by two, that EC would stop pressing and play more of a 3 defensemen type of arrangement, I was dead wrong.

Let me reiterate what TTF said ... Cortland is very much improved. I'd love to see Cortland and EC as travel partners in an expanded SUNYAC.

[*smack*] I just slapped myself back to a bleak reality.

Comment

Not only short handed chances, but odd-man rushes as well. Here are my hypotheses:
      1) You only get SH chances on the kill, and EC took too many @#$% penalties, some quite stupid.
      2) Cortland played OSU to OT the prior night and beating Oswego would have been much more gratifying than beating Elmira. CU was running on fumes.
      3) EC's speed guys (Vallaincort, Acorn, Hoey, Willer, Clewlow & Sanders) were overall too quick for CU
      4) EC is getting really deft at anticipating lazy puck movement and jumped some passing lanes
      5) The combination of 2,3&4 had EC's forwards salivating when they sensed CU was getting sloppy

The converse was also true, that EC gave up a couple of uncharacteristic odd-man goals by being a bit too aggressive. To answer your 2nd question, this was not how they typically play on the penalty kill. They do more of what Johnny explained. In fact, I surmised to RonT after EC went up by two, that EC would stop pressing and play more of a 3 defensemen type of arrangement, I was dead wrong.
      Thanks for the analysis. I think you are right on. Being too aggressive on the PK cost them a goal. Clewlow is really aggressive with his speed and physical play. He is fun to watch. Hey Johnny - did you just have another kid and in the land of being sleep deprived again?

Comment

• Home & Home Sweet Home

No ... I didn't make the trip to Geneva; too darn cold for these old bones. EC is now 10-0-1 since the Thanksgiving Day massacre. Very quietly and methodically putting together a 2nd half surge.

The WHWS announcers are two of the top 5 I've heard in the past 20 years, and proclaimed that "EC completely dominated Hobart tonight." Let's see what tonight brings. Jackals are swooning in California ... might be a good crowd!

Comment

• Re: Home & Home Sweet Home

Originally posted by elbojpb View Post
          No ... I didn't make the trip to Geneva; too darn cold for these old bones. EC is now 10-0-1 since the Thanksgiving Day massacre. Very quietly and methodically putting together a 2nd half surge.

The WHWS announcers are two of the top 5 I've heard in the past 20 years, and proclaimed that "EC completely dominated Hobart tonight." Let's see what tonight brings. Jackals are swooning in California ... might be a good crowd!
          That's a good one!

What's a good crowd nowadays? 1200?
          The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
          "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
          GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
          GO LAKERS!!!
          GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
          "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
          Oswego State '09

Comment

The last team I'd want to play in the ECAC West semifinals is Manhattanville...

But, if Mville beats Hobart in the play-in game, that's who is making the trip to the Domes for the third time in the last four years looking to spoil the party.
            GO LAKERS!!!
            "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
            Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by elbojpb View Post
              "EC completely dominated Hobart tonight."
              -The first period Hobart controlled play, but after that, Elmira really took it to Hobart.
              -MacDonald didn't have to make very many tough saves, the forwards did a great job deflecting shots from the slot area.
              -Broadwater didn't have to make many tough saves either, but the second goal was squarely on him. A fluttering puck came through on a screen and it hit the heel of his glove and bounced in.
              -I thought the referees did a good job, they kept the game from getting out of hand after some chippy play while letting both teams play.
              -Hobart didn't have Matt Wallace tonight and it seemed like their lines were pretty incapable of turning puck control into scoring chances.
              -Lee and Owczarczak tied for the hit of the night. In the 3rd period, a Hobart player tried to put the puck past Lee using the boards, Lee stepped up and put his shoulder into the chest knocking down the Hobart player; great play. Owczarczak's hit came along the boards as a Hobart player attempted to carry the puck through the neutral zone. It was just a solid shoulder hit that caused the Hobart player to be shaken up a bit.
              -Nice crowd for both teams, but of course, the HWS students didn't really show up until there was about 5 min left in the 1st period.

The collegehcky2's Prez's puck bunny rating tonight was a disappointing 7.5 out of 10. Not only did I not witness one mini-skirt & ugg boot combination, but also, the HWS women showed little creativity in their attire. Sad.

Comment

Originally posted by collegehcky2 View Post
                The collegehcky2's Prez's puck bunny rating tonight was a disappointing 7.5 out of 10. Not only did I not witness one mini-skirt & ugg boot combination, but also, the HWS women showed little creativity in their attire. Sad.
                When Oswego was at the Cooler in December, I didn't see a single mini-skirt/ugg boot combo then either. I don't know what happened down there but the previous three times I was there it looked like they were playing the game in a gentleman's club.

Comment

Originally posted by Laker28 View Post
                  When Oswego was at the Cooler in December, I didn't see a single mini-skirt/ugg boot combo then either. I don't know what happened down there but the previous three times I was there it looked like they were playing the game in a gentleman's club.
                  I tell ya, things aren't like they used to be.

Comment

Originally posted by collegehcky2 View Post
                    I tell ya, things aren't like they used to be.
                    Ain't that the truth. Hobart/William Smith used to be mecca.
                    GO LAKERS!!!
                    Oswego State '09

Comment

• Re: Elmira College Soaring Eagles 2010-2011 Season Thread

For an old fart like me, they may not have been "dressed to kill" but some of them sure had the looks.
                      Elmira College (2006 ECAC-W Champions. 2006,2008 Final Four Semi-Finalist)
                      Guelph Storm (2004 OHL Champions)
                      Die Hard Leafs Fan (Still Waiting )

http://community.webshots.com/user/jpconnor55

Comment

as a Oz fan I dont want to see Elimira in any way shape or form down the line, they are on fire..........

Comment

Originally posted by bakdraft21 View Post
                          as a Oz fan I dont want to see Elimira in any way shape or form down the line, they are on fire..........
                          Wow. Thank you for your honestly and show of respect. While Oswego scares me a bit, I'm sure the team wants another shot at the Lake Show after the opening weekend sweep. Would love to see that National Championship game in Minnesota.

I was just looking over EC's season schedule and 17 of their 25 games are against ranked or honorable mention teams. The ECAC West playoffs will only increase those figures. On their current run of 10-0-1, 7 of those games were against ranked/h.m. teams. If you want to be the best, you have to play and beat the best. I hope they keep this up. This program has paid their dues and they ARE due.

Comment

Originally posted by The Thunder Dome View Post
                            Wow. Thank you for your honestly and show of respect. While Oswego scares me a bit, I'm sure the team wants another shot at the Lake Show after the opening weekend sweep. Would love to see that National Championship game in Minnesota.

I was just looking over EC's season schedule and 17 of their 25 games are against ranked or honorable mention teams. The ECAC West playoffs will only increase those figures. On their current run of 10-0-1, 7 of those games were against ranked/h.m. teams. If you want to be the best, you have to play and beat the best. I hope they keep this up. This program has paid their dues and they ARE due.
                            agreed they are playing well just stay out of the box, I am a little bias as I did play there my frsh yr, that was almost 30yrs ago wow...good luck tonight

Comment

• Home & Home Sweet Home

Edit: I believe that EC clinches the regular season title tonight with a win and Utica loss.
                              - ~1200 fans, EC students actually got animated
                              - Game was really choppy, looked like a late November game, not a February contest!? and there is no love lost between these two squads, especially playing back to back.
                              - Hobart swapped its forecheck strategy in the 2nd, and gave up more odd-man rushes
                              - Hobart also swapped goalies 2 or 3 times during the match. No clue why.
                              - By my count 134:22 of scoreless hockey by EC
                              - The defense is the single most contributing factor in this run. The forwards also play great team defense.
                              - Sawyer and Lee are really solid, not flashy, but reliable defensemen. Lee is also remarkably skilled with his stick. Should get some All-American recognition.
                              - Only change in lines was the insertion of MacLean, Herold, Acorn

Goals:
                              1 - Strale strong wrister after a criss-cross rush with Clewlow
                              2 - Willer 1 timer slapper on a 5x3
                              3 - Acorn batted home Herold's rebound
                              4 - Strale knocked in Sanders rebound
                              Last edited by elbojpb; 02-12-2011, 09:02 PM. Reason: Clinch

Comment

• Regular Season Champions

From what I can see in the numbers, elbo's got it right...

Congratulations Men, on securing the regular season ECAC-West Title. Do NOT let-up!! This ain't over yet...

Cheers!!!
                                Dave
                                RIT - '90

Comment

Working...
                                X