Greatest College Hockey Memories

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greatest College Hockey Memories

I just want to see what people call their best memories in college hockey.

Try to avoid National Championships....that's too easy. Really dig deep. Think about the friendships and the people you met over the years that have made College Hockey a great part of your life.

For me, I think it is all of those nights at the Golden Bee after games @ CC. Win or lose it is always a good time.

The best was the infamous sombrero night. There might some fellow poster who remember that one.

I also have to list the night that BC won the title in 2008. Being in the BC section by a complete fluke, achsdu and I blended in well and had a blast. He doesn't post here much, but DU fans know him. All I know is I was in the JumboTron a lot that night....yet people didn't run for the exits in terror!!! I made progress that night!
    Denver Pioneers - NCAA ICE HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS - 1958, 60, 61, 68, 69, 2004, 05, 2017

2016-17 Penrose Cup Champions

YEARS SINCE LAST COLORADO COLLEGE NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP - 61...and counting

Chicago Cubs - WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS - 1907, 1908, 2016

Chicago Blackhawks - STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS - 1934, 1938, 1961, 2010, 2013, 2015

Manchester City F.C. - Premier League/First Division Winners - 1937, 1968, 2012, 2014.

RIP Butch

sigpic
    www.firstandmonday.com

Re: Greatest College Hockey Memories

The "Meltdown in Mankato" game. Mavericks score seven unanswered goals to erase a 7-1 second period deficit against Denver and win 8-7. December 2003.

Sorry to make my great memory one that is probably a sore spot for you!
    Last edited by MavsFan; 10-15-2010, 02:49 PM.
    My guy is a hard-nosed hockey player who is not afraid to crash the net. Your guy is a goon who runs the goalie.

Comment

Originally posted by MavsFan View Post
      The "Meltdown in Mankato" game. Mavericks score seven unanswered goals to erase a 7-1 second period deficit against Denver and win 8-1. December 2003.

Not only was that extremely impressive in terms of goals scored, but to erase 6 DU goals at the same time...magical
      North Dakota
      National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

2007 Final Five Wheel goal to beat und. The building was electric the entire night.

My favorite weekend of hockey is easily the WCHA playoff weekend of 2008 in 'Kato. Gophers lose game 1 in double OT and come back to win games 2 and 3 in OT and double OT respectively. That was an intense weekend!
        "It ain't over, baby! And that took only six seconds!"

USCHO gives me another reason to not do work while I am at work.

Everything is Hill's fault.....

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
          Not only was that extremely impressive in terms of goals scored, but to erase 6 DU goals at the same time...magical
          Yeah, thanks. Fixed.
          My guy is a hard-nosed hockey player who is not afraid to crash the net. Your guy is a goon who runs the goalie.

Comment

Originally posted by gopher wes View Post
            2007 Final Five Wheel goal to beat und. The building was electric the entire night.

My favorite weekend of hockey is easily the WCHA playoff weekend of 2008 in 'Kato. Gophers lose game 1 in double OT and come back to win games 2 and 3 in OT and double OT respectively. That was an intense weekend!
            Yeah, had the final result been different that would have been mine as well. I was exhausted when I left on Sunday night.

Comment

- Gionta scoring 5 goals in 1st period vs. Maine in 2000-2001 season.

- Farkas going through the entire SLU team and scoring with a few mins left in regulation in the FF semis in Providence 2000.

- BC coming back from I think 4 goals down vs. Notre Dame in Conte somewhere between 1998 and 2001. Probably the loudest it's ever been since 1997-1998 for hockey games at least.

- Marty Hughes capping off a last minute comeback for BC (scored 3 straight goals) over UNH in Conte in 2000-2001 just before his mom passed away from cancer.

- Ben Eaves batting the puck out of midair in overtime in Manchester 2004 regional to beat Michigan.

- BC scoring 3 goals in under 3 minutes vs. Miami in Worcester in 2008 and then Whitney winning it in overtime.

- Talking about going back to back to SteveF the day of the 2007 title game vs. MSU. WHOOPS. To be fair they did win in 2008 like I predicted that day! 1 out of 2 isn't bad.
              Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
              The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

The "Meltdown in Mankato" game. Mavericks score seven unanswered goals to erase a 7-1 second period deficit against Denver and win 8-7. December 2003.

Its not that game that is the bad memory...it was earlier that week when we lost Maggie. :-(
                Denver Pioneers - NCAA ICE HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS - 1958, 60, 61, 68, 69, 2004, 05, 2017

2016-17 Penrose Cup Champions

YEARS SINCE LAST COLORADO COLLEGE NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP - 61...and counting

Chicago Cubs - WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS - 1907, 1908, 2016

Chicago Blackhawks - STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS - 1934, 1938, 1961, 2010, 2013, 2015

Manchester City F.C. - Premier League/First Division Winners - 1937, 1968, 2012, 2014.

RIP Butch

sigpic
                www.firstandmonday.com

Comment

Mine include 3 as a Notre Dame fan. The first, most obvious one is making it to the NC game in 2008, but along with that is just experiencing my first FF. It was magical. All those college hockey fans in one place, knowing what I know, that college hockey is the most fantastic sport. I enjoyed my scavenger hunt of all the jerseys, and IIRC, I saw all the D1 schools represented except 7 and a few defunct programs too. Everyone was so welcoming, friendly and fun.

The game itself was so full of highs and lows. ND getting up by 3. Michigan tying it up. Going to the stress-laden OT. When Calle Ridderwall scored to win it, I just started jumping up and down and screaming. I remember screaming for a long time. I don't remember much after that except Mark Van Guilder's dad picking me up in a bear hug and lots of drinking.

The second is when Teddy Ruth scored minutes after Mark Van Guilder to put ND up 2 goals late in the game in the regional final in Colorado Springs. Mr. JJfP and I looked at each other and said, "Oh my God! We're going to the Frozen Four. It's really gonna happen." Then we waited for the team after the game and the surreal shocked look on the MSU players' faces as their bus pulled away and ND started coming out is something that I'll never forget. My team was advancing. The other team was going home. The team doc, who didn't know we had flown out for the games, started laughing when he saw us because it finally dawned on him how much this team means to me.

The third is of my favorite player of all time, John Schmidt, scoring on a slap shot from the blue line in a game against then-powerhouse Bowling Green. I almost didn't get to see the game as there was an ice storm and my mom was not too keen on my brother and me being on the road in that kind of weather. After promising to drive safely, she gave my brother the keys and off we went. The weekend was a goal scoring frenzy (back when a goalie who had a GAA of 4 was considered great) with both games going to OT and ND earning a split. Each team scored 16 goals on the weekend. I love to see the back of the net give on a slap shot from the blue line.
                  "Hockey is the only tribe I belong to." --Jack Falla

"Why, as a matter of fact, I suggested starting a hockey program to Father Callahan, our president. He was downright interested until we came to the use of sticks, and then he threw up his hands. He said, 'No, that game is not for our University. Notre Dame will never endorse any game that puts a club in the hands of an Irishman.' " -- Knute Rockne: All American

Comment

Originally posted by dubbie31 View Post
                    Its not that game that is the bad memory...it was earlier that week when we lost Maggie. :-(
                    I'm a lifelong Blackhawks fan, and I've met Maggie. He was always really nice.

Comment

I am still paying therapy bills after that game.

Comment

02/24/2007, UW 2, MTU 4 - Tech scores two quick goals, gets almighty Brian Elliott pulled 1:41 into the game (I own the puck that Shelast used to score the first goal, and I believe The Darkness has St. Louis' puck). Completes the sweep on Senior Night.

10/11/2008, MTU 3, LSSU 2 - About eight of us completely take over the Taffy for a scrappy road win.

12/28/2007, MTU 4, MSU 1 - My 21th birthday, Tech makes the GLI title game for the first time since 2000. Much celebrating occurred afterward.

10/26/2007, UND 1, MTU 3 - Lammy can't quite manage a fourth straight shutout. Also, the last five minutes of this game were probably the loudest I've ever heard the MacInnes.

Comment

The whole experience of becoming an obsessed college hockey fan...
                          really out of the blue. I had never been a hockey fan before going to UNH in 1995. I grew up watching a few Bruins games here and there with my dad, but hockey was definitely 4th on the radar of sports (esp because I played the other three in the big four), but my roommate my first year dragged me to a couple of games, and I was hooked pretty quickly. I became obsessed to the point where I didn't miss a game (home or away) from Jan 1998 and Oct 2003 (225 games in a row). I saw what, so far, was one of the greatest stretches in UNH hockey history (4 FF's in 6 years incl 2 final games), and (whether responsible or not) travelled throughout the country and met some of the greatest hockey people in the world... In that time, I started a website that ran a fairly long time, became a photographer, and saw parts of the country that I otherwise wouldn't have seen, and thats all due to college hockey...

One fun story, and one of my favorite memories was in october 1999, I organized a trip for 10 crazy UNH fans who piled into a 15 person van and drove up through Ontario to Sault Ste. Marie for 2 regular season games at LSSU. It was an incredible weekend, and we met a lot of wicked friendly people (who disliked Maine as much as we did )

My favorite hockey weekend, thus far, was the NCAA regionals in Albany in 1998 when UNH went in with no expectations as the 5th seed and down 3-1 in the 2nd period, came back to beat Wisconsin 7-4 and then beat #1 BU in OT with a shorthanded goal. That whole weekend really hooked me in!

Even since then, I've tried to see as much as I can, though to an extent, responsibility has set in and I don't get to EVERY game, I've still managed to make it to Florida, Grand Forks, Minneapolis and Colorado springs in the last few years...

I love this game

Oh yeah... being in the photo box between the benches in Manchester when UNH tied the game with .1 sec left, and won in OT in 2009. That was pretty awesome too..
                          Last edited by Gibber; 10-15-2010, 03:48 PM.

Comment

Too games, both from the 68-69 season.

12/4/68. RPI beats Cornell with Ken Dryden 4-3 in OT on a goal by soph Doug Hearns.

1/14/69. RPI had only one goalie that year, senior Tom Nichol. Nichol got himself suspended by punching a Middlebury player instead of shaking hands after a game because he had been speared during the game. (The reason there was only one goalie was academic problems.) In the next game RPI played its best defensive game I have ever seen, allowing soph center Barry Sherwood, who handed played goal since he was a bantam (or something like that), to shut out a strong BU team 7-0. Sadly BU beat RPI later that year in the first round of the ECAC playoffs.
                            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

I've seen plenty of great games as both a fan and a reporter, but I have a feeling that 30 years from now, one of my most cherished memories will be the fact that I get to sit down and talk to Jack Parker every week.
                              Places I've seen a college hockey game: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Bright Center, Consol Energy Center, Conte Forum, DCU Center, Fenway Park, Gutterson Fieldhouse, Houston Field House, Lawler Arena, Madison Square Garden, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Schneider Arena, Scottrade Center, Sears Centre, Tampa Bay Times Forum, TD Bank Sports Center, TD Garden, Tsongas Center, Tully Forum, Verizon Center, Verizon Wireless Arena, Walter Brown Arena, Wells Fargo Center, Whittemore Center

Comment

Working...
                              X