Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Providence College 2010-2011 - Things are looking up.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Providence College 2010-2011 - Things are looking up.

Actually, I've spoken with parents and others who say that the kids love playing for Rick Bennett and that he is a tireless recruiter. I've met him only a few times and he seems like a real gentleman. As posted here earlier, I hope he stays at Union, especially if we're looking to replace Nate Leaman soon which is a distinct possibility. However, he could be just what the doctor ordered, especially as he may not be looking at PC as a stepping stone but as home and where he really wants to be..just saying.

Comment

Originally posted by Hokydad View Post
      Hockey East had their worst winning pct vs ECAC in 13 years. Union was 17-3-3 in ECAC play.

ECAC wil have at least as many and maybe more in NCAA tournament.
      That's fine and good for the regular season, but I'll put stock in those numbers when the ECAC actually WINS something in the NCAA tournament.

Union did beat Minnesota (who had a mediocre season ultimately) in the Mariucci Classic but, otherwise, their out of conference schedule was, honestly, a little bit light. Would it have killed them to play one game -- just one -- against a good Hockey East team? Or ANY Hockey East team? The fact they got bounced by Colgate is not the sign of a powerhouse team on the level of BC, North Dakota, etc. even though they have been ranked nationally as if they are.

Again, if they show up in the NCAAs and make the Frozen Four, I'll be happy for 'em (and I'll going to be rooting for them), but I'm still suspicious of how good they actually are.

One other very strong suit of Bennetts is that he is a hard core, discipline type but very well respected by his players.
      That, I agree, is a big-time plus for him if it's accurate, and I see a lot of confidence in his camp, which is good.

Again, I concede that you guys may be right, and Bennett might be the best guy. And it's also true this is the situation PC is in, as Cav said, so...if he can do the job, go for it and I hope it works out. It's just they will be going down a very similar road to what they were just on.
      Last edited by HockeyMan2000; 03-15-2011, 08:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Wholin1 View Post
        Actually, I've spoken with parents and others who say that the kids love playing for Rick Bennett and that he is a tireless recruiter. I've met him only a few times and he seems like a real gentleman. As posted here earlier, I hope he stays at Union, especially if we're looking to replace Nate Leaman soon which is a distinct possibility. However, he could be just what the doctor ordered, especially as he may not be looking at PC as a stepping stone but as home and where he really wants to be..just saying.
        I like reading that parents love playing for the guy. PC didn't have that with either of their prior coaches (especially Pooley), so that would be a welcome change

Comment

One other very strong suit of Bennetts is that he is a hard core, discipline type but very well respected by his players.
          I also suspect he will go bigger and have a more aggressive style on the ice
          Let's Go Pirates!

Comment

Originally posted by cavbim View Post
            I also suspect he will go bigger and have a more aggressive style on the ice
            Something that would be much needed. I never understood Army's theory of going small and fast playing in a rink like Schneider. It basically negated one of the only advantages PC has playing at home.

Comment

Are you getting ready for your annual choke

Originally posted by UNHcat07
              So where has Jonny Boy been on this thread. I thought he was Mr Inside PC Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by satyking View Post
                Are you getting ready for your annual choke
                already started last weekend when they handed BC reg season title on UNH's ice

couple that with the fact they had a nice lead i standings and could only win 2 of last 8and the party is on.

Comment

already started last weekend when they handed BC reg season title on UNH's ice

couple that with the fact they had a nice lead i standings and could only win 2 of last 8and the party is on.
                  Stop posting here. You are a dope.
                  Your run on sentences are fun to laugh at and all but the fact that you are functionally illiterate is beyond pathetic!

I know why you love following college hockey so much. The leagues are consisted of young men which is like Christmas morning to a pedophile like you and it's the closest that a dope like you will ever get to college.

I'm sure the Merrimack fans are missing your cheerleading Hokydope. We'll call you when you are needed back in our village.

Comment

ECAC wil have at least as many and maybe more in NCAA tournament.
                    You are so full of crap. If you were ever right then people might respect your opinion but you are a tool who pulls stuff out of his arse both on line and in your personal life!!!

The ECAC will not have more teams in the tourney than HE you moron.

Comment

Not go back to hoops for a moment but the faster they hire someone, the faster hockey will get the attention. Seems Ed Cooley (who I do like) and Jim O'Brien (ex BC and Ohio St. coach) are front runners. If O'Brien's baggage with the NCAA isn't a big deal, I think he would be a strong candidate having been successful at BC, won a Big 10 title and taken OSU to the Final Four (though of course it had to be wiped out because of the violations). He's an excellent coach with ties to the region, knows the conference and is probably looking to get back in the game...if being clean isn't going to be a problem (and there is a debate it seems over how much stuff he did), and they can pay him, I like it.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebask...providence-job
                      Last edited by HockeyMan2000; 03-16-2011, 10:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyMan2000 View Post
                        Not go back to hoops for a moment but it seems Ed Cooley (who I do like) and Jim O'Brien (ex BC and Ohio St. coach) are front runners. If O'Brien's baggage with the NCAA isn't a big deal, I think he would be a strong candidate having been successful at BC, won a Big 10 title and taken OSU to the Final Four (though of course it had to be wiped out because of the violations). He's an excellent coach with ties to the region, knows the conference and is probably looking to get back in the game...if being clean isn't going to be a problem (and there is a debate it seems over how much stuff he did), and they can pay him, I like it.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebask...providence-job
                        Heard and Read the same thing. I can see Cooley having a decent shot. He's from Providence has been an assistant in the ACC and Big East with BC. The two things that make me a little wary of him are: his style of play. His Fairfield team and the BC teams play/played "ugly". Slow very set oriented offenses. Understand those BC teams won sometimes and made some NCAA tourneys - but just don't know if that style attracts top talent. Also, it is unclear if he can recruit top talent. He's not recruiting Big East level talent at Fairfield, and those BC teams did it with "below the radar" types like Troy Bell. But again, he is by all accounts a good guy and could be a very good coach at PC. O'Brien would scare the crap out of me. He's been totally out of the coaching world for years now. And he was known for some pretty shady stuff at both BC and Ohio State. He's been trying to get back in for years, schools wanted no part of him.

Most hoops fans (including me) want ex-assistant Pat Skerry to be the next coach. We'll see.....

Comment

Originally posted by chrisP View Post
                          Most hoops fans (including me) want ex-assistant Pat Skerry to be the next coach. We'll see.....
                          Amen to that!!!

Comment

Originally posted by PC91 View Post
                            Stop posting here. You are a dope.
                            Your run on sentences are fun to laugh at and all but the fact that you are functionally illiterate is beyond pathetic!

I know why you love following college hockey so much. The leagues are consisted of young men which is like Christmas morning to a pedophile like you and it's the closest that a dope like you will ever get to college.

I'm sure the Merrimack fans are missing your cheerleading Hokydope. We'll call you when you are needed back in our village.
                            I was concerned. For a while, this tread has been moving toward rational arguements related to coaching candidates, and the discourse has been, dare I say, mature. But now it's back on track
                            Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

ECAC will have Union and Yale for sure, maybe Dartmouth or Cornell.
                              HE will have BC and MC for sure, maybe UNH or Northeastern.

Looks pretty cut and dry.

Comment

ECAC will have Union and Yale for sure, maybe Dartmouth or Cornell.
                                HE will have BC and MC for sure, maybe UNH or Northeastern.

Looks pretty cut and dry.
                                The only way UNH doesn't get in is if all conference tournys except for the CCHA are won by teams who won't be in the top 16 of the PWR. The likelyhood of that happening is probably something like less than 1%. So UNH is in. BU and Maine could also get in.

Lets face it the weak ECAC is not going to have more teams than the Hockey East, but even if they did it wouldn't say anything besides the fact that they play easy schedules and beat up on the 4 bottom feeders in the conference. Still aren't going to win a national title for a long time.
                                BC Eagles Hockey East Champions: 2012, 2011, 2010, 2008, 2007, 2005, 2001, 1999, 1998, 1990, 1987
                                National Championships: 2012, 2010, 2008, 2001, 1949
                                Beanpot Champions: 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010, 2008, 2004, 2001, 1994, 1983, 1976, 1965, 1964, 1963, 1961, 1959, 1957, 1956, 1954

Bentley Falcons Hockey

Comment

Working...
                                X