Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Providence College 2010-2011 - Things are looking up.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Providence College 2010-2011 - Things are looking up.

Originally posted by PC91 View Post
    So extended both coaches? I didn't realize that. Makes his flapping about how it ain't easy being the Hockeyguy and his not being fired more laughable.
    Oh and reading the UML thread reminds me of one other bad hire Drisocll made. Since he was really hired as a fund raiser his first guy on the job was Blake James. Possibly the one guy the Mainah despise more than Whitehead. Not that it is easy to raise money at PC but I never got the impression James did his job. Fortunately for him he learned to defelect well like his boss and got a better job. Note though that he came and went in a much shorter time frame then our guy.
    Let's Go Pirates!

Comment

I think a video scoreboard would make PC a perennial power house.

Comment

The baby changing stations were supposed to do that.
        Providence College
        National Champions

Save the Fighting Sioux!!

Comment

Originally posted by cavbim View Post
          Oh and reading the UML thread reminds me of one other bad hire Drisocll made. Since he was really hired as a fund raiser his first guy on the job was Blake James. Possibly the one guy the Mainah despise more than Whitehead. Not that it is easy to raise money at PC but I never got the impression James did his job. Fortunately for him he learned to defelect well like his boss and got a better job. Note though that he came and went in a much shorter time frame then our guy.
          No possibly about it. Whitehead only ruined one sport. James destroyed the athletic program as a whole, no sport has ever recovered.

Comment

What do you all feel the time table will be for hiring a new hockey coach?

Will PC do the usual waiting job and have to go with a coach on the cheap or the desperate?

Comment

I think it depends on how quickly he can get a basketball coach he will spend his time there as it is the top money maker, then the Frozen 4 will happen then after that a new coach will be here........now that BU is out do you think Parker is available ?????

Will PC do the usual waiting job and have to go with a coach on the cheap or the desperate?

Comment

I don't want to lose him especially since there are rumors of Nate Leaman moving on, but how about Rick Bennett? He has been excellent as Associate Head Coach at Union and obviously has deep PC roots. Just my two cents, and good luck in any event.

Comment

Sounds like Army did before he got here.....no assistants need apply

Originally posted by Wholin1 View Post
                  I don't want to lose him especially since there are rumors of Nate Leaman moving on, but how about Rick Bennett? He has been excellent as Associate Head Coach at Union and obviously has deep PC roots. Just my two cents, and good luck in any event.

Comment

FYI. Farrer and Germain sign with the Trenton Devils.

http://www.trentondevils.com/devils-...dence-college/

Comment

I wouldn't classify Army or Pooley's hirings as "cheap" or "desperate" myself, but it's true, we don't seem to hear much on the hockey hiring front until May or June typically. That said, it's unlikely you would hear anything until the middle of April at the earliest -- especially considering that the season isn't over yet for a lot of teams. Once the Frozen Four is over, then we might begin to hear names being thrown about.

Comment

Someone please tell me Berard is going out with the bath water too. I have no clue how he has survived two coaches.

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyMan2000 View Post
                          I wouldn't classify Army or Pooley's hirings as "cheap" or "desperate" myself, but it's true, we don't seem to hear much on the hockey hiring front until May or June typically. That said, it's unlikely you would hear anything until the middle of April at the earliest -- especially considering that the season isn't over yet for a lot of teams. Once the Frozen Four is over, then we might begin to hear names being thrown about.
                          True they shouldn't be classified that way. I swas wrong to have done so. I had my thoughts jumbled today. To clarify it seems to me that often PC waits and has to settle or goes with what they think is the quick fix. My fear is that they will go with either some PC name from years gone by, the cheapest available or wait and have to settle on both the basketball and hockey coaching fronts.

I don't want Rick Bennett as a head coach for hockey and I'm concerned that PC will wait on hockey until after they take care of hoop (over a month from now) and have slim pickings on the hockey front. UML (and possibly Maine) will be looking for a coach as well so I would hope that PC is beating the bushes already.

Freds brought up an intreging name in Coach Montgomery. Not a bad idea.
                          I know that they will have to wait and see who might want to jump programs if they are looking at a current coach but one of quality isn't coming here at this juncture so they will either have to go the assistant coach route or hire someone who is not coaching college or juniors at this time.

I just don't want to see them suffer in the long run by trying to wait until a basketball coach is found before working on the hockey program. He IS a hockeyguy after all!!!

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyMan2000 View Post
                            The Army hiring certainly was not cheap nor desperate. It might have been since they didn't get Pooley's resignation until after Notre Dame sorted through their issues. If he had not been the only person Driscoll was looking to really hire it might have turned desperate. Pooley's original hire was desperate and basically done on the cheap. They knew going into the final year McShane was not coming back. He left immediately after the season. Then things got lost in the usual PC shuffle. Marinatto got sidetracked, Smith was coming in as the new school president and that was ominious. Pooley was hired at the very end of July. Cost us a couple of McShane's recruits which hurt us down the road and also got him a late start on his first recruiting class, though that was not as big an issue in '95 as it is today.

Which leads to the article on Driscoll. While by and large nobody complained about hiring either Davis nor Army it is questionable if Driscoll did his due diligence. In basketball I'm told by more then one big fan and I think it was clear for all to see. Driscoll made this a very public hiring and his getting b*tch slapped a few times was an embarrassment, that the original thought was if you went for an inexperienced guy he would cost you less then Welsh cost, instead he cost about a quarter million more a year, and he himself noted the midwest thing vs east coat thing, these people raied their eyes over tht. On the Army issue as I noted in my initial post Driscoll listened to the fans, they were sick of the dump and suck and wanted offense, he was sold easily that the Army name was going to magically turn this around with no other intervention on his part. Unlike the fans he had first hand knowledge of the program as he had been there 4 years by the time of the Army hiring. Pooley left on good terms. Did he not get into the reasons with Pooley why he played the way he did. This time he said he had a list of items that Army had brought to his attention as needing addressing....did he not have such a list from Pooley? I guess despite getting paid as AD he really is not better then the average fan.

I think the new hire will be in place by late April. Wait much longer and you are mortgaging almost 3 years. Next year is shot since we graduated so many key players and don't have good replacements. The next class is pretty much picked over and we have most of our '12 recruiting still to do. Right now the top teams are already picking over the '13 recruits, now we wouldn't win any of those battles anyway, but wait much longer and the Plan B types will be gone.

If I was a betting man I would put money on Bennett. I actually don't think Leaman would go for the PC job, first because it is a losing proposition from where he sits now, there will be better opportunities and soon and second I'd guess since it is not his dream job he would not want to undercut Ricky's chances. Further Ricky played a large role in Union's resurgence. As I noted there are not many head coaches who would look to jump, the direct junior ranks just is not the usual path (though I'd very much like the Montgomery move Freds suggested, however as noted Sooner or later the Maine job opens and I think he would be a facility issue, without solid promises to upgrae not a chance in the world). You could do the pro route again, but I just can't see them spending that type of money on a head coach. I say there will only be lukewarm interest in this job. Not spectacular pay, you just saw how the school treated one of their legacy players, you clearly not an important sport at the school, you have substandard facilities and you have to deal with a boob of an AD. With all those pluses in place just who would want that job?
                            Let's Go Pirates!

Comment

I am honestly not afraid of going the assistant route. College hockey is so small compared to basketball, that the step up from a D-1 program we perceive to be lower level league leaves very few options. We could go to D-3 and pluck somebody, I suppose - someone suggested Mike McShane. It is sad this program is where it is after a good run in the late 70s and 80s. But I came to realize it really is a program that had some success in the late 70s and 80s and has done very little since.

The comments by the HG really put me off. A good AD will have a clear vision and a sound buinsess plan as to how he will move his programs forward. If you remember he arrived here an promptly lost a ton of basketball season ticket holders when he charge an extortionate seat license. He has done nothing but alienate fans. I'm sorry but he should go too.

PC needs someone with a vision to revitalize this program and I haven't heard that yet from this guy. Knowing that bouncyball will be his first priority I suspect means a quick hire for hockey or a drawn out process. I just hope he brings in someone who "gets" college kids, can recruit and motivate atheletes while putting bodies in the seats.

Comment

I think the actual hiring will be delayed until April so all the firings will be done and the top coaches will decide then where they want to go......why go to PC or Lowell if a better job is only a few weeks away

Comment

Working...
                                X