Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Providence College 2010-2011 - Things are looking up.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Providence College 2010-2011 - Things are looking up.

We're definitely trying to work on the atmosphere at games, but it's definitely a david vs goliath situation when the athletics dept so heavily pushes basketball on incoming freshmen and hockey is essentially an afterthought. Every freshman my year was given a poster of people rushing the court after they beat Pitt.

Also does anyone actually know what Duke Mondy did? The silence is sketching me out.
    Places I've Seen a College Hockey Game: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Compton Family Ice Arena, Conte Forum, Cross Insurance Arena (Cumberland County Civic Center), Dunkin' Donuts Center, Gutterson Fieldhouse, Fenway Park, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Pegula Ice Arena, Ralph Engelstad Arena, Schneider Arena, T.D. Garden, Tsongas Center, Thompson Arena, University of Southern Maine, Webster Bank Arena, Wells Fargo Center, Whittemore Center

Comment

The admins on the bball board have been quick to lock any rumor inspired links. The situation as you put it is very "sketchy." pc13 your still on campus right? there must be some rumors floating around.

Comment

I am still on campus, but nobody is saying anything. I saw him in the cafeteria today so he's still on campus...it's weird.
        Places I've Seen a College Hockey Game: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Compton Family Ice Arena, Conte Forum, Cross Insurance Arena (Cumberland County Civic Center), Dunkin' Donuts Center, Gutterson Fieldhouse, Fenway Park, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Pegula Ice Arena, Ralph Engelstad Arena, Schneider Arena, T.D. Garden, Tsongas Center, Thompson Arena, University of Southern Maine, Webster Bank Arena, Wells Fargo Center, Whittemore Center

Comment

http://www.projo.com/pc/content/Dona...2.1786966.html

Comment

Awesome!!
            Let's GO FRIARS!!
            Let's GO FRIARS!!

Mikey Sweeps!!

Comment

Nice to know someone has noticed.

Comment

Sounds like they (Driscoll) are ready to pull the trigger...

Comment

Donaldson comes through again. He was nice enough to write back a few times when I'd pester him with stats a few seasons ago -- good to see he's kept on the subject. (And while I don't take credit for putting stats together, I am pretty sure that 26-3 outscored in the QF's stat he keeps mentioning is something I sent him way back when lol).

Very obviously, there seems to be little confidence behind either Army or Keno Davis at this point in time.

“In terms of wins and losses, the program is not where it needs to be — or should be,” Driscoll said.

Maybe I'll have to revise my thinking that Army is gone in 2012....the end may be sooner than we think!!
                  Last edited by HockeyMan2000; 03-01-2011, 11:24 PM.

Comment

Interesting that Donaldson noted that Army only has 1 year left. If he's right and his contract is up in 2012, and not 2013, my guess is it's very likely Army is not going to be back next year for reasons we outlined before.

Of course, Driscoll is not entirely absolved from this either. The whole "I need to make better decisions" line....an understatement of epic proportions. From the sounds of it, Driscoll knows his own skin is on the line, and he can start making those "better decisions" by firing both of these guys -- now.
                    Last edited by HockeyMan2000; 03-01-2011, 11:31 PM.

Comment

Serious question. Who would you (the PC fan base) like to see in as the new head hockey coach? I'll throw out some names that I'd think Providence would be wise to at least bring in for an interview. Nate Leaman from Union College has led them to unprecedented success and has assistant coaching experience at Harvard and Maine under Shawn Walsh. Another possibility is his top assistant and 1990 Providence grad Rick Bennett. He was an assistant coach at Providence in addition to playing at PC. Ron Fogarty played for Colgate in the 90s and started the Adrian (Division III) program and has a winning percentage of .892 in four years there. He has assistant coaching experience at Colgate, Clarkson and Bowling Green. Another possibility is current Dartmouth assistant and Boston College alum Dave Peters. He's a former PC assistant who has a very respected name in hockey. One other possibility is Plattsburgh head coach Bob Emery, a BC grad, who has a .742 winning percentage in 21 seasons to go along with his two Division III National Championships, 13 NCAA Tournament Appearances and 12 conference championships. One last guy I'd give a look at is New England College head coach Tom Carroll, a Wisconsin alum who helped them to win two NCAA Titles. He's a former Notre Dame assistant and coached in the USHL. He's won almost twice as many games as he's lost at NEC.

Not as head coach, but I'd like to see the new head coach consider bringing in Joe Exter who played goalie for Merrimack and is a US National Development Program Assistant. He's a Cranston native and could be a young go getter as far as recruiting goes.
                      Last edited by irishfan85; 03-02-2011, 12:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by irishfan85 View Post
                        Serious question. Who would you (the PC fan base) like to see in as the new head hockey coach? I'll throw out some names that I'd think Providence would be wise to at least bring in for an interview. Nate Leaman from Union College has led them to unprecedented success and has assistant coaching experience at Harvard and Maine under Shawn Walsh. Another possibility is his top assistant and 1990 Providence grad Rick Bennett. He was an assistant coach at Providence in addition to playing at PC. Ron Fogarty played for Colgate in the 90s and started the Adrian (Division III) program and has a winning percentage of .892 in four years there. He has assistant coaching experience at Colgate, Clarkson and Bowling Green. Another possibility is current Dartmouth assistant and Boston College alum Dave Peters. He's a former PC assistant who has a very respected name in hockey. One other possibility is Plattsburgh head coach Bob Emery, a BC grad, who has a .742 winning percentage in 21 seasons to go along with his two Division III National Championships, 13 NCAA Tournament Appearances and 12 conference championships. One last guy I'd give a look at is New England College head coach Tom Carroll, a Wisconsin alum who helped them to win two NCAA Titles. He's a former Notre Dame assistant and coached in the USHL. He's won almost twice as many games as he's lost at NEC.

Not as head coach, but I'd like to see the new head coach consider bringing in Joe Exter who played goalie for Merrimack and is a US National Development Program Assistant. He's a Cranston native and could be a young go getter as far as recruiting goes.
                        No one with either PC ties, Rhode Island ties or coaches from small colleges or minor D1 programs. More to come later when I have more time.

Comment

I lean toward Leaman as he is a head coach with a record and would probably bring Bennett along. No more coaches that have never done the job before

Comment

A head coach with a track record -- and hopefully someone with D1 experience, either currently or in the recent past -- the program can't bear another guy who's never done the job before like Army and Pooley.

I also agree with 91 -- preferably someone with no history with PC or hockey in this state. Not only is it no longer needed, but we've seen what having someone who "lives and breathes" PC like Army claimed has done as a head coach here.

This program needs a thorough, total fresh start. If Bennett would come along with Leaman in a package deal, fine, but I would definitely not hire Rick Bennett alone for the job. PC needs to start over with someone with the vision to do their own thing, someone with the head coaching experience as well, who will bring their ideas in from the outside.
                            Last edited by HockeyMan2000; 03-02-2011, 09:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by satyking View Post
                              I lean toward Leaman as he is a head coach with a record and would probably bring Bennett along. No more coaches that have never done the job before
                              Leaman has done a terrific job at Union and they look like they may be on a track to St. Paul this year. I had the opportunity to see them play twice this year and they look good. That being said, I see no advatnage to Leaman to move from Union to PC. At this point it would be a lateral move.

Comment

We are also assuming that anyone of note would want to take the job at PC. The program is in trouble and currently a joke. It's not what Pooley left to say the least let alone what this program used to be in it's sunny times.

Comment

Working...
                                X