X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UML Recruiting, Building for the future

Originally posted by boblav1 View Post
    I saw this on USHR. Cam Askew, a repeat 8th grader at St. Sebastian’s, committed to Northeastern for the fall of ’16 today.
    This amuses me, as this has to be a one-sided agreement. There's no way NU can know this kid is going to be D1 capable, there's no way they know he's got the grades, etc.
    Monty

2011-2012 NCAA Tournament Participants
    2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
    2013-2014 Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants
    2015-2016 NCAA Tournament Participants
    2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

Comment

Cushing defeated Berwick 4-0 in a scrimmage yesterday morning at the Tsongas. UML recruit Cory Scammon was held scoreless. UNH recuit Shane Eiserman had a goal and an assist. Cushing has another scimmage today at the Yale showcase. Their regular season opens on 12/2/11.

Comment

Another '91 for next season. Mike Colantone-RW, Prince George (BCHL) 6' 180 -91. Colantone is from Cave Creek, AZ.

http://www.bchl.ca/leagues/rosters_p...layerID=688295

Comment

Originally posted by UMLFan View Post
          This amuses me, as this has to be a one-sided agreement. There's no way NU can know this kid is going to be D1 capable, there's no way they know he's got the grades, etc.
          Hey, the kid has the look of a real top prospect (right now), so how big is the down-side for NU? Talent wise, he looks real. School wise, he's at a good Prep school. You would think he will be academically prepared. If not, you go shopping with that scholarship again. Other schools are making the same kinds of judgment calls, more and more often. Two choices: get in on the action now, or take all leftovers later. Why ask why?

Comment

I am not here go get into a flame fest and I fully understand what NU is doing because they have to compete with the BC's and BU's of the world, but that paragraph above is exactly what is wrong with the NCAA recruiting process.

Comment

Originally posted by snipeshow10 View Post
              I am not here go get into a flame fest and I fully understand what NU is doing because they have to compete with the BC's and BU's of the world, but that paragraph above is exactly what is wrong with the NCAA recruiting process.
              Well said. What fool of a parent commits their kid at that age-and it is the parent. Kids do not have the experience at that age to know what they want. Sadly the kids also change commitments like others change underwear, the days of commiting and not backing out are gone. With this getting more prevelent and the NC$$ having a billion rules I wonder how long before this stuff gets forbidden.

Comment

My reply was slanted in defense of the School/Program in accepting a verbal commitment because the previous poster seemed to be criticizing NU for doing it. The next couple of posters answered my post and centered their replies on the Parent/Player side of the dilemma. If you are the player/parent, what is the benefit to them of an early commitment? The childs college education is assured, even in the event that the player suffers injury, etc. Both sides are using each other. From time to time, this arrangement will produce problems. The kid changes his mind/The school changes Coaches/Injury/The school changes it mind/etc. Is it a system that has flaws? Absolutely. The Coaches cite the MJ competition. The NCAA looks the other way, hanging their hat on the stand that the only thing that matters is the LOI. Until the NCAA lowers the age at which a LOI can be signed or does away with Verbal Commitments, this situation isn't going away. As the parent of a child who has gone thru the recruiting process, I will tell you the cards are heavily stacked in the schools and coaches favor. If you could better your childs future, wouldn't you?

Comment

Parents deciding to commit a kid to a path at the ripe age of 13 is ridiculous. What I see is players being taught that their word means nothing, commiting with the thought they can reneg at any time but the school has to keep their word.

I realize many parents are living with Alice in Wonderland, but not many of these kids will end up making $ for their whole life in the sport. They are overplayed, show up with overuse injuries (I am aquainted with the guy who fixes them, they are like old men by the time they get to college) and if they think hockey is going to be the road to gold in their life they need a horseshoe firmly planted up their butt. As a parent I would think it my responsibility to be waitng until I knew what the kid had a gift for so they could prepare for after hockey ended and if possible get them to the place most likely to give them that. In the >25 yrs I have been around this level of hockey, seeing hundreds of players (many of them very good), the list of kids that made a living at it isn't long. If the kid is good enough to be sought out at 13 then they are going to be able to ask what they want if they mature as predicted. Why shut off the opportunities?

Comment

I am not disagreeing with you. Now I am not a parent, but have seen the recruiting process first hand. Can someone realisitically say that it is logical for a 13 year old kid, who has not even been in high school/hit puberty yet, to commit to something that is 5+ years away? Also, this kid committing means nothing technically. The school has no written binding contract and does not have to honor anything. Granted, most will, but there is nothing set in stone until the LOI is signed. Any kid can say he is committed to any school, it is the school's decision in the end if they are good enough athletically/academically to attend their institute. Tiefenwerth committing to BC at the age of 14 shows that exact point. The schools hold all the power in the end while the kids are pressured to make a decision well before it is neccesary.

Is NU really already counting down scholarships in 2016? No, but to compete with the top notch schools in the nation, programs are making pushes at younger ages. It is a flawed system that needs overhauling in all college sports, not just ice hockey.
                    Last edited by snipeshow10; 11-28-2011, 09:08 AM.

Comment

Sad but true BC started this foolishness, should not be able to offer/recruit until June after their sophmore year. In this case this player is better than any of those signed up and will be the top kid from his age group, bank on it. Sounds stupid to say at 14/a5 but that is my opinion.

I would love to see a parent sue the school who didnt honor it.

Just imagine if an agent from the school, aka the coach came to you, offered you a 4/4, met with you and kid and shook your hand. Than 4 years later they tried to reneg. These coaches all run around and do it, put nothing in writing and now want to act like it is not binding. lauaghble and would get hammered in court.
                      Amazing how none of the parents though as a rule of thumb ask for a confirmation/memo documenting the offer and acceptance. none the less, it is just as binding and unless the coach wants to lie, they would lose.

NCAA is actualy working on it right now and putting a mechanism in place to allow the schools the right to offer 4/4 and have it be binding. Sad that the coaches are not black and white upfront and tell them it is really a year by year thing. Wrong as well
                      Last edited by Hokydad; 11-28-2011, 11:29 AM.

Comment

Playing his first game of the season for Penticton, Logan Johnston had a 2-1-3 and was named the first star Saturday night in the BCHL. Lowell's newest commit Michael Colantone had a 1-1-2 in Prince George's 4-3 OT loss on the same night.

In the NAHL on Saturday night, Adam Chapie had an assist in New Mexico's 2-0 loss.

EJHL had the weekend off.

In the USHL, Michael Fallon was the 3rd Star on Friday night with a 1-1-2 in Chicago's 4-2 win. He added a goal on Saturday night as Chicago won again 4-1, and then added an assist in a 5-4 overtime loss on Sunday.

Greg Amlong had a goal for Des Moines on Thanksgiving night in an 8-4 loss, and then was held scoreless in a 3-2 win on Saturday.
                        Monty

2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
                        2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

Comment

An assist in a 2-0 loss? Chapie must be one hell of a passer

In recruiting news, 3 seniors leave up front- Val, Budd and Ferreira.
                          6 incoming freshman forwards...looking at the numbers game I am seeing some more turnover on next years roster or Shaprio ('93) possibly plays another year of juniors. I'd be surprised if another forward is added for next year.

On the back end, Corcoran graduates, while we have 2 incoming D listed for next year. Scammon is a talented puck mover but may not be physically ready for Hockey East next year so I would not be surprised to see him moved back a year. Also, the transfer from Hamilton that came with Bazin is a defensemen makes 3 for next year possibly.

I am just saying this because I would think Lowell's class for next year may be done, maybe another D-Man?

Comment

An assist in a 2-0 loss? Chapie must be one hell of a passer
                            Oops ... 2-0 win.
                            In recruiting news, 3 seniors leave up front- Val, Budd and Ferreira.
                            6 incoming freshman forwards...looking at the numbers game I am seeing some more turnover on next years roster or Shaprio ('93) possibly plays another year of juniors. I'd be surprised if another forward is added for next year.

On the back end, Corcoran graduates, while we have 2 incoming D listed for next year. Scammon is a talented puck mover but may not be physically ready for Hockey East next year so I would not be surprised to see him moved back a year. Also, the transfer from Hamilton that came with Bazin is a defensemen makes 3 for next year possibly.

I am just saying this because I would think Lowell's class for next year may be done, maybe another D-Man?
                            Who transferred from Hamilton?

Edit: Never mind ... it was D Joe Houk (would come in as a Junior I'm guessing). He was the Player of the Year in the NESCAC last season, and lead his team in scoring with a 17-16-33 in 25 games. He was also a East First Team All American. Good article with quite a bit about him (and Bazin) from USCHO last year.
                            Last edited by UMLFan; 11-28-2011, 02:39 PM.
                            Monty

Comment

Originally posted by boblav1 View Post
                              Another '91 for next season. Mike Colantone-RW, Prince George (BCHL) 6' 180 -91. Colantone is from Cave Creek, AZ.

http://www.bchl.ca/leagues/rosters_p...layerID=688295
                              Official release...
                              Monty

Comment

Thanks for the info on the Hamilton transfer (Houk). I was thinking the same thing about more turnover next season. Hopefully this will help with evening out the classes.

Comment

Working...
                                X