This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UML Recruiting, Building for the future

Thanks for the update Hokydad. Any thoughts on the coaching change at Lowell and any impact it may have on the incoming recruits?

Comment

Originally posted by boblav1 View Post
      Thanks for the update Hokydad. Any thoughts on the coaching change at Lowell and any impact it may have on the incoming recruits?

Out of respect to teams and coaches currently still in the hunt, I wont add a few I heard yesterday..
      Should heat up soon

Have heard Peter Masters name, from the Boston Junior Bruins. Proven winner, great recruiter and connected for players. He will also probably be on any list that BC's Cavanaugh ends up on as they are very close. Masters was originaly offered the head ast job with MC back when MD took the job. Masters Junior Bruins org has put out several very good D 1 players, such as C Falite, his brother in law, Wild, Butler(both Al and Bobby), Henrion, Moses and many others. They also control the Beantown Classic and other high end recruiting tournaments so have the in roads to many top college prospects. Couple this with their summer AAA teams, who have some of the top players from 10-18 in the country, which in turns means they see the best of the best all summer long, you have a very knowledgeable guy. Problem would be if he wants to take the pay cut as his program kills it financially

Comment

UML commit Terrence Wallin will be playing in the Beantown Classic.
        Monty

2011-2012 NCAA Tournament Participants
        2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
        2013-2014 Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants
        2015-2016 NCAA Tournament Participants
        2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

Comment

Vernon, Malcolm Lyles had an assist and very good game, listed as top player for Vernon
          Top Players: (Vernon)

Malcolm Lyles (1 assist) Other then a turnover in his own end, I thought Lyles played very solid on the Vipers blueline. Played very well defensively, made some real smart heads up plays through out tonights game. Was very hard to knock off the puck. Played smart hockey.

Lyles leads the Vernon D in scoring.

Tyler Brickler of Westside was off the board, did have a high sticking penalty[/QUOTE]

I look for Tyler to have instant impact once he arrives at UML based on his age 91' and his skill set which will be well recieved and appreciated by UML staff and fans.

Malcolm on the other hand as an older 90' player competing against 91', 92', and 93' competition should help solidify the bottom end 6,7,8 players of the UML defensive core going forward. As dicussed in great detail before his struggles at BC getting ice time competing against his age group at the Hockey East level are well documented. He has no doubt benefited from being an overager playing against much younger competition which should help his confidence on the second time around. As some of the older talent has graduated from Hockey East his chances to play a role at the lower backend for UML look good from my perspective.

As stated before by me, you will be quite pleased with the new coach and the different direction he takes the program.
          Last edited by BCHF; 03-17-2011, 02:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BCHF View Post
            As stated before by me, you will be quite pleased with the new coach and the different direction he takes the program.
            Are you hinting that you know who the next coach is? They haven't even interviewed anyone yet, so I'm not sure why you think that you know who the next coach will be.
            Charter Member of darin's "UML Seven"

"I just hate Boston College to be perfectly honest'' -Ken Dorsey
            "It's time for my favorite NCAA tradition ... that's right, rooting against BC!" -Bill Simmons

Comment

Vernon, Malcolm Lyles had an assist and very good game, listed as top player for Vernon
              Top Players: (Vernon)

Malcolm Lyles (1 assist) Other then a turnover in his own end, I thought Lyles played very solid on the Vipers blueline. Played very well defensively, made some real smart heads up plays through out tonights game. Was very hard to knock off the puck. Played smart hockey.

Lyles leads the Vernon D in scoring.

Tyler Brickler of Westside was off the board, did have a high sticking penalty

I look for Tyler to have instant impact once he arrives at UML based on his age 91' and his skill set which will be well recieved and appreciated by UML staff and fans.

Malcolm on the other hand as an older 90' player competing against 91', 92', and 93' competition should help solidify the bottom end 6,7,8 players of the UML defensive core going forward. As decussed in great detail before his struggles at BC getting ice time competing against his age group at the Hockey East level are well documented. He has no doubt benefited from being an overager playing against much younger competition which should help his confidence on the second time around. As some of the older talent has graduated from Hockey East his chances to play a role at the lower backend for UML look good from my perspective.

As stated before by me, you will be quite pleased with the new coach and the different direction he takes the program.[/QUOTE]

Both of the players you mention are in fact, 20 years old. ML is about 6 months older than TB. The difference is that TB had played about 250 games over the past 2 or 3 years, ML had played about 15.

ML was an all star in the league, TB was not.

ML has been invited to over 25 NHL camps, will be attending Florida's, Toronto's and Vancouvers. TB I cant speak for but 0 last year. One is being pursued by NHL teams as we speak, one is not.

Both players will be very good recruits for UML next year. If I had to guess the odds of ML being a 6, 7 or 8 dman for Lowell, I would say it is 0%. To be a 1-4, about 99%.

Dont ask me, ask his coach in Vernon who has produced about 20 top end Hockey East players, including Gill, Noonan and others. Add to the list the Galloway kid, a Hobey Baker finalist from N dakota this year. Or ask any one of the nhl guys who have seen him play 30+/- times this year. the Vernon coach says he is the bestv dman in the league and will play pro hockey.

ML playing 5 games as a 17 year old freshmen and 8 as a soph is not the end of the book and as well documented as you think.

At the end of the day, who cares what any of us thinks. His current coaches and the nhl guys love his game, that is what matters.

You might want to ask the ast coach, Green if he has him pegged in at 6-8. You might get a laugh and disagreement there as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Hokydad View Post

Malcolm on the other hand as an older 90' player competing against 91', 92', and 93' competition should help solidify the bottom end 6,7,8 players of the UML defensive core going forward. As decussed in great detail before his struggles at BC getting ice time competing against his age group at the Hockey East level are well documented. He has no doubt benefited from being an overager playing against much younger competition which should help his confidence on the second time around. As some of the older talent has graduated from Hockey East his chances to play a role at the lower backend for UML look good from my perspective.

Both of the players you mention are in fact, 20 years old. ML is about 6 months older than TB. The difference is that TB had played about 250 games over the past 2 or 3 years, ML had played about 15.

ML has been invited to over 25 NHL camps, will be attending Florida's, Toronto's and Vancouvers. TB I cant speak for but 0 last year. One is being pursued by NHL teams as we speak, one is not.

Both players will be very good recruits for UML next year. If I had to guess the odds of ML being a 6, 7 or 8 dman for Lowell, I would say it is 0%. To be a 1-4, about 99%.

Dont ask me, ask his coach in Vernon who has produced about 20 top end Hockey East players, including Gill, Noonan and others. Add to the list the Galloway kid, a Hobey Baker finalist from N dakota this year. Or ask any one of the nhl guys who have seen him play 30+/- times this year. the Vernon coach says he is the bestv dman in the league and will play pro hockey.

ML playing 5 games as a 17 year old freshmen and 8 as a soph is not the end of the book and as well documented as you think.

At the end of the day, who cares what any of us thinks. His current coaches and the nhl guys love his game, that is what matters.

You might want to ask the ast coach, Green if he has him pegged in at 6-8. You might get a laugh and disagreement there as well.[/QUOTE]

As always Hokydad, one has to love your passion when speaking about ML as you describe him. I can only speak to what years of observation of both of these young men tells me about their future potential and contributions. Tyler's time in the USHL over one and a half years in many ways reflects and mirrors ML's two years at BC from a play and contribution perspectives. Both however have flourished in the BCHL which is a must for any older players expecting to contribute at the Division 1 level not to mention professionally. Time will certainly tell what their contributions at UML will be and I certainly hope you are correct in your assumptions with respect to ML.

I remain steadfast in my belief that Tyler will bring some much needed punch offensively to the team next season. That said I remain "skeptical" about the tremendous expectations you place on the back of ML by committing him to 1-4 defensive placement and prospective NHLer based on what i have seen with my own two eyes less then twelve months ago. I love BC's defensive group and believe many on this thread might agree that they are a solid Division 1 group albeit very young...that said it is hard to suggest that more the two or three are ear marked for "real" NHL play. ML could not crack this line up and was clearly #8 with Cross and Wey out for long portions of the season, which we know is why ML left. Again, I hope i am dead wrong but I deal in reality when assessing hockey potential.
                I have never asked you nor do I need to ask Duncan or Mark about where ML "fits" at UML, his play on the ice will most surely determine that as it has wherever he has performed previously.
                Last edited by BCHF; 03-17-2011, 04:48 PM.

Comment

You might want to ask the ast coach, Green if he has him pegged in at 6-8. You might get a laugh and disagreement there as well.
                  As always Hokydad, one has to love your passion when speaking about ML as you describe him. I can only speak to what years of observation of both of these young men tells me about their future potential and contributions. Tyler's time in the USHL over one and a half years in many ways reflects and mirrors ML's two years at BC from a play and contribution perspectives. Both however have flourished in the BCHL which is a must for any older players expecting to contribute at the Division 1 level not to mention professionally. Time will certainly tell what their contributions at UML will be and I certainly hope you are correct in your assumptions with respect to ML.

I remain steadfast in my belief that Tyler will bring some much needed punch offensively to the team next season. That said I remain "skeptical" about the tremendous expectations you place on the back of ML by committing him to 1-4 defensive placement and prospective NHLer based on what i have seen with my own to eyes less then twelve months ago. I love BC's defensive group and believe many on this thread might agree that they are a solid Division 1 group albeit very young...that said it is hard to suggest that more the two or three are ear marked for "real" NHL play. ML could not crack this line up and was clearly #8 with Cross and Wey out for long portions of the season, which we know is why ML left. Again, I hope i am dead wrong but I deal in reality when assessing hockey potential.
                  I have never asked you nor do I need to ask Duncan or Mark about where ML "fits" at UML, his play on the ice will most surely determine that as it has wherever he has performed previously.[/QUOTE]

It will be fun to watch....

He didnt crack the line up for one reason. He was to young and wasnt mature enough at 17 to go to BC and get the job done. Had zero to do with talent. Never should have went there so young, not close to being ready. Should be a freshman there today after playing 170+/- games for Vernon. But nope, BC needed an insuarnce policy and thats what he was.

He played for a tremendous coach who had the time to work with him and teach him the game. He will have more pro offers this summer than 4 or 5 of the guys at BC ever will during the rest of their carear. Already being pursued by NHL teams. As we speak.

I could care less how he played 2 years ago in one of the 6 games he played where he got 4 or 5 minutes of ice. We are looking forward and as Cam Neely says best, "my rear view mirror is broken"

25+ NHL teams and scouts who watched him play 50+ games are not wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Hokydad View Post
                    It will be fun to watch....

It has always been fun to watch players chase their dreams.

He will have more pro offers this summer than 4 or 5 of the guys at BC ever will during the rest of their carear. Already being pursued by NHL teams. As we speak.

Be careful here...5 BC defensemen: Cross, Dumoulin, Samuellson, Wey, Macleod have already been drafted in the NHL and are being watched carefully by their perspective NHL team scouts, GM's, as well as the scouts of other NHL teams on a regular basis. These players are already being rated and slotted on the depth charts of their perspective clubs and all but Cross are younger then ML.

25+ NHL teams and scouts who watched him play 50+ games are not wrong.
                    Let's all hope for the best for ML.

Comment

Let's all hope for the best for ML.
                      And TB as well. Next year could be an off year at BC for example with many departures. Lowell might jump up and get back in the play offs. If TB is an impact player, which I hope he is, ML will be a real impact player.

Even MC next year. They are losing a ton, outside SD and JC. League could be interesting.

Comment

Malcolm Lyles and Vernon will meet Salmon Arm tonight in the first game of the BCHL Interior Conference finals. Vernon ended Tyler Brickler's Westside Warriors season earlier in the week. Brickler had 10 points (3-7-10) in 13 playoff games.

Comment

Originally posted by boblav1 View Post
                          Malcolm Lyles and Vernon will meet Salmon Arm tonight in the first game of the BCHL Interior Conference finals. Vernon ended Tyler Brickler's Westside Warriors season earlier in the week. Brickler had 10 points (3-7-10) in 13 playoff games.
                          Salmon Arm took game one 5-3 last night. Malcolm Lyles had an assist and 2 PIM in the loss. Game two is tonight.

Comment

Ugly game for Lyles and Vernon last night, losing 6-0 in Game 2 to Salmon Arm, even they outshot Salmon Arm 34-17. They were down 5-0 in the first.
                            Monty

2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
                            2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

Comment

Malcolm Lyles had an assist and was named the #2 Star as Vernon went on the road and won at Salmon Arm 5-1 last night, making the series 2-1 for Salmon Arm.

On Sunday, Christian Cowles had an assist as the NH Jr. Monarchs won the EJHL Finals series by a 3-2 score, winning both games by the same score actually.
                              Monty

Comment

Malcolm Lyles had a great game last night to help lead his team to a 3-2 win over Salmon Arm and tie up the series at 2 games each. Scored one goal to make it 2-2 and also scored a very good shorthanded one that they called back. Vernon's Mr Fan Favorite is going to be fun to watch next year. Will be interesting to see who the next coach is and if he will use him to his strengths.

vipers even series in salmon arm by don klepp | Added 2011-03-23
                                Trevor Fitzgerald’s goal near the end of the second period proved to be the winner as the Vernon Vipers evened their series with the Salmon Arm Silverbacks with a 3-2 win in Salmon Arm on Tuesday.

In a coincidence worthy of a presentation at a numerology conference, Fitzgerald, who wears number 26, scored just 26 seconds after Malcolm Lyles had tied the game at 18:39. The Vipers showed resilience after Bryce Gervais had scored twice to give the Silverbacks a 2-1 lead earlier in the period.
                                Lyles hammered a slap shot through traffic at 18:39 to tie the game at 2. Fired up, the Vipers won the ensuing faceoff and swarmed the Silverback zone.
                                At 19:43 David Robinson took a hooking penalty, but Malcolm Lyles scored short handed after yeoman work by Dylan Walchuk as the clock ran down. After initially signalling a goal, the officials gathered in a tight circle and then disallowed the goal, saying that time had run out.

Matters were complicated because of a malfunction to the red light/green light system that doesn’t allow the red goal light to come on when time has run out.

Comment

Working...
                                X