Miac 2010-11

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miac 2010-11

What are your predictions/thoughts on the upcoming MIAC season? Any predictions? How does this League stack up against the other D-III Leagues?

Re: Miac 2010-11

Gustavus and Hamline will be strong. Hamline has a lot of proven returning players. MIAC will be strong at the top of the standings.

Comment

For some reason I can't recall. Does the MIAC do a preseason coaches' poll? If so, that sucker oughta be a real mess.

GA loses a ton, Hamline loses enough that it's significant, St. O is hanging there and UST was beyond young and improved dramatically last year to win the league playoffs, but how much of that was the Skrypek factor? Boeser is no stranger to the program so they are a very interesting story to follow as well.

Have Augsburg hanging there, Concordia has to be one of the hardest working teams on the planet and so on.

Lot of good teams...but the order they decide to align themselves in could be anyone's guess.
      I wish I am able to live long enough to do all the things I was attributed to.

Comment

The MIAC never gets the respect it deserves. As someone else pointed out, this is largely attributable to the NCHA being very, very good and very, very deep.

Comment

XYZ - Over on the "Pre Pre-season Rankings" thread it says Hamline only loses 1 out of their six top scorers from last season and they have their starting goalie back. They also have their All-American Dman in Chris Beringeur back. Not sure what you mean when you say they lost a significant amount. They did lose their Big Dman Vichorek to the AHL but looks like they picked up a big St. Norbert Dman transfer. Appears their Coach Bell has turned this program around the last few years.

Comment

who is the SNC transfer you speak of?

Comment

Originally posted by snc1 View Post
              who is the SNC transfer you speak of?
              Sam Eccles transfered from SNC to Hamline. His playing time diminished during his time at SNC. I think he played in 3 games last season as a junior. Hopefully he gets lots of playing time and is able to contribute his senior season at Hamline...

http://www.uscho.com/stats/player.ph...14958&gender=m
              Last edited by altazo; 10-11-2010, 08:56 PM.

Comment

The Big Dman I was thinking of for Hamline is a freshman Grant Fahnhorst.

Comment

Originally posted by puckrfactor View Post
                  XYZ - Over on the "Pre Pre-season Rankings" thread it says Hamline only loses 1 out of their six top scorers from last season and they have their starting goalie back.
                  Yeah, I had my years mixed up. That's what I get for going off the top of my head.
                  I wish I am able to live long enough to do all the things I was attributed to.

Comment

XYZ - thanks for your input. LOL I get my years mixed up as well. Seems as though GA and Hamline should be near or at the top of this years MIAC standings, but overall most teams will compete. Obviously most MIAC recruits are local Minnesotans, but looking at the rosters and this years Commitment List, it appears there are s good number of players from out of state and Tier II Juniors experience. This also seems to be true for the NCHA. What's the parity like between these two Leagues?
                    Last edited by puckrfactor; 10-12-2010, 07:34 PM.

Comment

Am I the only one who thinks that GA lost a lot?

Comment

Originally posted by puckrfactor View Post
                        They did lose their Big Dman Vichorek to the AHL but looks like they picked up a big St. Norbert Dman transfer.
                        This is the only reason I thought the "big d man" you were talking about was the SNC transfer.

As for the MIAC this year, I gotta think St. Thomas, Hamline, and St. Olaf look to be the top three coming into the season. I think the league has improved in the last few years and has closed the gap a little bit on the NCHA, as evidenced by GAC's run in the NCAA's two years ago where they eliminated 2 NCHA schools and when St. Thomas went into SNC in 2005 and ended the Green Knights season. However, the bottom half of the league still can have real trouble hanging with NCHA schools, but some of them are improving quickly (see Concordia, as XYZ stated.)

Comment

"stumbled" across this:

http://www.d3westhockey.com/
                          Wormser - Rowdy Crowd
                          2008-2009 D-II/III Last Person Standing Champion
                          2004-2005 D-II/III Last Person Standing Co-Champion
                          2007-2008 D-II/III Last Person Standing Runner Up
                          "...maybe I should be surprised about this, but then again, we are the Rowdy Crowd - everyone wants a piece. We are awesome." ~XYZ

Comment

Gustavus did lose a lot, although they still have ring-jarvi, swartout, and some other players back. Losing martinson as well as several playmakers and grinder/role players will take its toll I'm sure.

Hamline lost more than some people think. They had something like 3-4 players who had 10 goals, and losing their top goal scorer may cause them offensive problems... especially early in the year.

St. Olaf kind of walked away with the regular season in 08-09 and looks to have a good core of players ready to go for this season.

St. Thomas.... well they were an enigma last year (poor stats across the board and barely made the playoffs, yet they put it all together and win the conference tournament), and still are this year after the coaching change.

There's a new coach at bethel so it will be interesting to see what he brings to the table. St Mary's and St John's are looking to improve on last season, and concordia has one of the hardest working teams around.

I'd rather try to herd cats than try to predict how they'll finish up, but it should be fun to follow all year.

Comment

W-PRC - thanks for the link. Looks interesting and hopefully some decent coverage of these 3 leagues.

Comment

Working...
                              X