No announcement yet.

Ohio State 2010/2011 - No way but up.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Ohio State 2010/2011 - No way but up.

My first chance this past weekend to see the new Oz-led Bucks. Where to start?

Guys crashing the net, and consistently parking themselves in the slot. How many times did we get second- and third-chance whacks from rebounds? Rarely happened in the Markell years.

D-men frequently jumping in, or even carrying the play into the opponent's zone. The resulting coverage was occasionally non-existent, but I'll chalk that up to it being early in the season. Still, a better team could have made us pay.

No sitting on a lead. The Bucks continued to force the play even after taking a two- or three-goal lead. Markell woulda reined in his horses and played stall ball.

A coach actually interacting with his players on the bench. Oh, and no stenographer's notebook tucked tightly in his hand either. Plus, his coaching staff joined in the post-game handshakes.

In short, an encouraging two games. Not just because we won but because there's a tangible, palpable difference with the play on the ice.

Thank goodness.

Still one thing hasn't changed: the coverage of the games by the Dispatch. With the 'shoe team having a bye week, that shoulda meant some extra downtime for the reporters. But then, they probably thought they had to pay for parking and didn't bother to show up.

Comment

Brewmaster ,

WELL SAID.
      " PUT ME IN COACH. "

Comment

New commit:

The Brooks Bandits are proud to announce 17 year old forward Riley Simpson has committed to play at Ohio State University of the NCAA Division 1. Located in Columbus, Ohio the Buckeyes play in the CCHA and are off to a 4-5-0 start to the 2010 season.

Riley is from Innisfail, Alberta where he grew up playing minor hockey. Prior to joining the Bandits, he spent a season playing Minor Midget AAA in Red Deer. Riley is in his second season with the Bandits and currently leads the team in scoring with 12 goals and 13 assists for 25 points in 22 games.

Head Coach/GM Ryan Papaioannou, "Riley is very deserving of this opportunity. He is a fantastic person with a strong work ethic. It was obvious to us when Riley joined our organization that he was going to be a highly successful player in our League and he has played beyond expectation since he been in Brooks. The Bandits organization would like to congratulate the Simpson family for Riley's achievements both on and off the ice."
        World Junior A challenge opened with the US team defeating Canada East by a score of 6-1. Winning goal by Max McCormick and two assists for Ryan Dzingel.

Comment

Originally posted by Draighlicht View Post
          I'll stand by my statement. I saw what they looked like against Robt Morris and I drove up to Marquette to watch last week's two losses to Northern Michigan. The team I saw in these two games was better. This was a team OSU should have dominated, and they did. I rarely saw that in the last few years under Markell. So I think that's progress.
          So they got 2 splits, a single game loss, got swept, and swept another team - that's progress? That's inconsistency. Give me a streak of solid play then I'll say it's progress.
          OSU - we got nuts.

Comment

Originally posted by collegehcky2 View Post
            He's got 8 PIMs so far this season, but no back breakers by any means.
            Wait until his first spear when up by a goal late in the third, then let us know how much you like him...
            OSU - we got nuts.

Comment

Originally posted by busboy View Post
              Wait until his first spear when up by a goal late in the third, then let us know how much you like him...
              That play cost them a bye and was one of the worst penalties taken ive seen maybe ever.

Comment

Originally posted by Draighlicht View Post
                You're welcome. How's he doing on penalties?
                Originally posted by collegehcky2 View Post
                He's got 8 PIMs so far this season, but no back breakers by any means.
                Originally posted by klbaum1077 View Post
                That play cost them a bye and was one of the worst penalties taken ive seen maybe ever.

This issue is water under the bridge. Of course a player going down to a lower level will do well. This player either got news he wasn't going to get ice time or get cut if ex-Coach Markell was coming back. That's what the off season talk was.
                " PUT ME IN COACH. "

Comment

So they got 2 splits, a single game loss, got swept, and swept another team - that's progress? That's inconsistency. Give me a streak of solid play then I'll say it's progress.
                  Actually, it's both. It's progress from the standpoint of beginning to see changes in style, play, focus, coaching, blahblahblah. I saw that in both games this past weekend. But do I expect consistency just nine games in??? Good heavens, no. But one can also define consistency beyond a "streak of solid play."

Consistency is also having a team perform to its capabilities year after year. Something Markell never did.

I don't expect miracles overnight, in one weekend, or in one season. But progress? It'll happen one game, one series, one season at a time.

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
                    2 for 7 on Friday and 1 for 5 Saturday has us tops in PP's? How bad does the rest of the conference s**k that we're on top?
                    You need to adjust your standards. For Power Play conversions, anything over 20% is good; anything over 30% is stratospheric. As just one example, Maine led the nation last year with a conversion rate just over 27%.

3 for 12 for the weekend translates to a 25% conversion rate. Does that constitute a season highlight, a true weekend to remember? Of course not. This level of success is only impressive if it can be sustained over the long haul. If it's typical, it's great; if it's the high water mark, not so much.

At this point of the season, the 25% Buckeye PP production is solid enough, and anyone chasing at 20% or better has nothing to be ashamed of.

Comment

GOOD LUCK to the team and let's get some CCHA points this weekend.

Fri, Nov 12 Michigan State * at East Lansing, Mich. 6:35 p.m.

Sat, Nov 13 Michigan State * at East Lansing, Mich. 7:05 p.m.
                      " PUT ME IN COACH. "

Comment

I am fairly certain national signing day happened this week. Any news?

Comment

Originally posted by Kick Ice View Post
                          I am fairly certain national signing day happened this week. Any news?
                          Nope.

I emailed the Dispatch to see if they heard anything. They told me to contact the school.

Real gumshoe type work there.

Miss win tonight in East Lansing - come from behind.

Comment

Well after being down 3-1 in the 3rd the Buckeyes win 4-3 in OT

Comment

Am half ready to drive up Sat for game two

Comment

On the PP OSU 0-6, MSU 2-2. Not good numbers until you realize the Buckeyes had only two penalties, happy with that

Comment

Working...
                                X