Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Minnesota Gophers Season Thread: Kangas Kool-Aid For All!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Gophers Season Thread: Kangas Kool-Aid For All!

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
    It doesn't count. I don't know why Harley thinks it does.
    At this point every little bit counts.

Comment

Can't stand to see such a lack of enthusiasm that this thread was on page 3! It is tough to take. A good weekend showing would be good medicine, not that I expect it against a solid Sioux team.

I though I read a day or two ago that Kangas would give it a try again early this week, and if things hadn't improved, he might opt for surgery and be out the rest of the year. Any final word yet? I expect this season to continue on its path downward and have him out. Reminds me of the Vikings season. Hope Mariucci doesn't collapse. (I need a win this weekend to cure my case of the "Scoobies".)

Comment

Kangas pulled himself from practice after about 10 minutes earlier in the week. Going to get the hip reevaluated. May require surgery.

Comment

Originally posted by goldy_331 View Post
          Kangas pulled himself from practice after about 10 minutes earlier in the week. Going to get the hip reevaluated. May require surgery.
          That sucks.
          **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
          Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Kangas is having year-ending surgery. According to KFAN.
            Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
              Kangas is having year-ending surgery. According to KFAN.
              The good news just keeps coming for the Gopher Men's hockey team. {dripping sarcasm}

I wish Alex the best on his future hockey career.
              **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
              Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by goldy_331 View Post
                Hip surgery!

If he wanted to avoid the Sioux series couldn't he have just got Mono or something?

But on a more serious note, College Hockey News is now speculating in a blog that the injury may (EDIT) end his college career . http://blog.collegehockeynews.com/20...er-in-jeopardy

Jake Kremer assumes the No. 2 hole behind Patterson. Kremer, a junior from Eden Prairie, Minn., has never played in game that counts.
                More importantly, with only two healthy goaltenders, the Gophers may be forced to significantly adjust their practice schedule. Most schools carry a third goaltender just for practice purposes. This injury may force Minnesota to get creative in that quest — by either shortening practices for their goaltenders, giving Patterson days off, or by recruiting a goaltender off the school’s club team — which other teams have done in the past.
                Hopefully the surgery is a positive step towards a full recovery for Kangas.

When will untested Jake Kremer see more playing time?
                Is a new #3 goalie joining the team soon?
                Last edited by SoCalSiouxFan; 01-12-2011, 03:31 PM.
                "For me, college hockey was obviously the best step I could have taken to get to the next level." - Jonathan Toews, North Dakota/Chicago Blackhawks

Comment

His college career with the Gophers may be over with the season-ending surgery for the senior, but other articles have indicated that he plans on a pro career next season, once the torn labrum has been repaired and healed.

Wish him the best.

Comment

As much as I dislike the goofs and the fact that I have gone hoarse yelling Kangas's name at the Ralph, you never want to see a college athlete go out like this. Here's hoping to a speedy recover and good luck to you at the next level!

Comment

Patrick White = new practice goalie

Comment

By all accounts, his college career is over, but just curious...

He's played in eight games, what's the rule on a medical redshirt?

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                          By all accounts, his college career is over, but just curious...

He's played in eight games, what's the rule on a medical redshirt?
                          If a student-athlete suffers a season-ending injury or illness after competing in a limited amount of competition during a particular academic year, he/she may qualify for a medical hardship waiver which would allow him/her an additional season of competition during the five-year period of eligibility. To qualify for a medical hardship:

• The student-athlete’s injury or illness must occur in one of the four seasons of intercollegiate competition at any two-year or four-year collegiate institution or occur subsequent to the first day of classes in the student-athlete's senior year in high school;

• The injury or illness must occur prior to the completion of the first half of the playing season that concludes with the NCAA championship in that sport (measured by the number of scheduled contests or dates of competition) and result in incapacity to compete for the remainder of that playing season; and

• The injury or illness must occur when the student-athlete has not participated in more than two contests or dates of competition (whichever is applicable to that sport) or 30 percent (whichever number is greater) of the institution's scheduled or completed contests or dates of competition in his or her sport.

It appears that Alex Kangas would not be eligible for a medical redshirt since the season ending injury technically occurred after the first half of the season and he played in more than 30% of the games in the first half.

I feel sorry for Alex as he had high expectations for this season. His career save percentage of .912 is school record. His awesome goaltending in the 5 OT vs. MSUM in 07-08 playoff run will always be a Kangas Khan career highlight for me.

******* width="640" height="385">****** name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/DeOYj1dM1Qc?fs=1&hl=en_US">****** name="allowFullScreen" value="true">****** name="allowscriptaccess" value="always">****** src="http://www.youtube.com/v/DeOYj1dM1Qc?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385">

Comment

I don't think Kangas would've been eligible even if the injury occurred in the first half or he hadn't played in any games. Doesn't dressing count as participating in a game? And Kangas has dressed for every game this year, hasn't he?
                            Last edited by Dirty; 01-13-2011, 08:56 AM.
                            Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
                            when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
                            Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

Originally posted by Dirty View Post
                              I don't think Kangas would've been eligible even if the injury occurred in the first half or he hadn't played in any games. Doesn't dressing count as participating in a game? And Kangas has dressed for every game this year, hasn't he?
                              My understanding is it is "games played" over 30% of the first half that disqualifies a player from receiving a medical redshirt.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirty View Post
                                This example pertains to football (and I reserve the right to be wrong), but I thought they quite often redshirted freshman football players, after the season started and (may) have dressed, but ended up not playing in any of the early games, so the coach decided not to "waste" their true freshman year. Maybe it's different since it's an injury situation.
                                Dance like no one's watching, sing like no one's listening, live each day as if it's your last...

Dirty - I'd be more suited to be the hockey coach at NDSU.

Comment

Working...
                                X