Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Minnesota Gophers Season Thread: Kangas Kool-Aid For All!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Gophers Season Thread: Kangas Kool-Aid For All!

Originally posted by SoCalSiouxFan View Post
    Speaking of rivals and crushing UND's dreams.

UND's rival is anyone above them in the WCHA standings. Right now UND has no rival.
    Well if you make the WCHA standings a circle...your rival is Michigan Tech! Remember though, the Red River is always your rival.
    tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
      Rivals:

1. UND
      2. WI
      6908309860943. Everyone else.

Why UND over WI? Hockey is the ONLY thing North Dakota (the state) has on MN, that I care about. I want to destroy their only sports asset. I want their dream to be crushed.
      Brent, you may be underestimating how petty we Sioux fans can be and how unlikely it is that our dreams can be crushed. It's true that a hockey NC is our primary dream, which is usually crushed, though rarely by UMinn. But close behind that is our dream that the gopher hockey team is so pitiful that it either cannot even make it to the Tourney or is one-and-done if it gets there. And that dream is a gift that keeps on giving.

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post
        But close behind that is our dream that the gopher hockey team is so pitiful that it either cannot even make it to the Tourney or is one-and-done if it gets there. And that dream is a gift that keeps on giving.
        Another maroon and gold team has crushed your deams with comical regularity, though.

Hold on tight to that dream that keeps on giving - because someday soon it will end. After multiple trips to the frozen four, UND has slipped a bit with first round exits each of the past two seasons. If there's one thing I've learned from the past decade of following the Gophers, it is this: don't take your good seasons for granted, even if they end in disappointment. Even as a "have" in college hockey, nothing is guaranteed. A few recruits that fail to live up to expectations, a few key early departures, a rash of injuries... not only can these things derail a season, but they can send your program into a multi-year funk.

If it can happen to Minnesota, it can happen to anyone - including your beloved ______ (name TBD).

Comment

Originally posted by Bakunin View Post
          Another maroon and gold team has crushed your deams with comical regularity, though.

Hold on tight to that dream that keeps on giving - because someday soon it will end. After multiple trips to the frozen four, UND has slipped a bit with first round exits each of the past two seasons. If there's one thing I've learned from the past decade of following the Gophers, it is this: don't take your good seasons for granted, even if they end in disappointment. Even as a "have" in college hockey, nothing is guaranteed. A few recruits that fail to live up to expectations, a few key early departures, a rash of injuries... not only can these things derail a season, but they can send your program into a multi-year funk.

If it can happen to Minnesota, it can happen to anyone - including your beloved ______ (name TBD).
          What you say is true. But we still cling to our pitiful little dreams

Comment

• Originally posted by burd View Post
            What you say is true. But we still cling to our pitiful little dreams
            former gopher great Blake Wheeler just scored for the B's to make it 2-1 Canadiens.
            "The man who smiles when something has gone wrong just thought of someone to blame it on." Robert Bloch
            Discontinued Program:http://s.ecrater.com/stores/70443/48...70e_70443n.jpg
            The goofs might suck, but Happy swallows.
            Brooks told me he added something to the effect that, “if you want to go into business, go to Harvard; if you want to be a hockey player, go to North Dakota...”

Comment

• Originally posted by Bakunin View Post

7 time national champions?
              "The man who smiles when something has gone wrong just thought of someone to blame it on." Robert Bloch
              Discontinued Program:http://s.ecrater.com/stores/70443/48...70e_70443n.jpg
              The goofs might suck, but Happy swallows.
              Brooks told me he added something to the effect that, “if you want to go into business, go to Harvard; if you want to be a hockey player, go to North Dakota...”

Comment

Originally posted by cross cheque View Post
                7 time national champions?
                Past success does not guarantee future performance. I could talk about the awesomeness of '02 and '03 at length, but that won't change the fact the team is currently mediocre.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bakunin View Post
                  Past success does not guarantee future performance. I could talk about the awesomeness of '02 and '03 at length, but that won't change the fact the team is currently mediocre.
                  Knock it off, Mr. Logicalpants.
                  the state of hockey is good

Comment

We need to pick up the pace & get this thead closed so we can have some Peterson Punch!

Great article about Apple Valley's Hudson Fasching in today's Strb, he is an amazing young man.

Minnesota's Pride On Ice: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 & 2003 NCAA National Champions

And the preacher said, you know you always have the Lord by your side
                    And I was so pleased to be informed of this that I ran
                    Twenty red lights in his honor
                    Thank you Jesus, thank you Lord

~Mick Jagger/Keith Richards

Comment

Originally posted by Greyeagle View Post
                      We need to pick up the pace & get this thead closed so we can have some Peterson Punch!
                      Norm?
                      I was told there would be no math...

Comment

Great article about Apple Valley's Hudson Fasching in today's Strb, he is an amazing young man.
                        Good article. Almost enough to really put hockey in perspective relative to things like family, etc. (At least until they start playing again.)

Comment

That is a great article indeed.

Maybe Michaelson and Fasching will play for a few years together(Gophers) after HS as well.
                          Originally posted by CavalryNate
                          Disrespecting the Gophers is like disowning your mother the first time you get a girlfriend.
                          sigpic

Comment

OK, I'll bite. Anyone want to comment on individual players pre-season expectations and their grade at mid-point?

I'll give a couple thoughts on Bjugstad. Besides the difficulty in remembering how to spell his name, I didn't think he started the season blazing like I had hoped. Then he seemed to disappear for several weeks where we NEVER heard his name on the ice. However, in the last couple weeks, he seems to have picked up confidence dramatically. I remember one shift against Mankato where he knocked a guy off the puck, went hard to the net with a D hanging on him but looking about as effective as a flea on a dogs back. He put a shot on net from close in that the goalie deflected into the corner to a D. Bjugstad proceeded to separate the D from the puck with a punishing check and turned and went to the net for another shot. Since then, he has had a few shifts a game where he would take guys off the puck on the boards or drive hard to the net. I am hoping that he'll be one of the exceptions, where he returns from WJC with more confidence and has a big 2nd half. I am hoping his size will prevent the second half fade sometimes seen in guys coming straight out of HS.

Comment

I agree, it seems Bjugstad has really picked up his game in the last few weeks the way he can keep guys off the puck reminds me of Hoeffel. I also like the play of Condon he can really move up and down the ice with speed and often beats guys to the puck when forechecking. I sure hope some of our freshmen stick around for awhile they could be a really good class with Haula and Alt mixed in as well.
                              Originally posted by CavalryNate
                              Disrespecting the Gophers is like disowning your mother the first time you get a girlfriend.
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Koho View Post
                                OK, I'll bite. Anyone want to comment on individual players pre-season expectations and their grade at mid-point?

I'll give a couple thoughts on Bjugstad. Besides the difficulty in remembering how to spell his name, I didn't think he started the season blazing like I had hoped. Then he seemed to disappear for several weeks where we NEVER heard his name on the ice. However, in the last couple weeks, he seems to have picked up confidence dramatically. I remember one shift against Mankato where he knocked a guy off the puck, went hard to the net with a D hanging on him but looking about as effective as a flea on a dogs back. He put a shot on net from close in that the goalie deflected into the corner to a D. Bjugstad proceeded to separate the D from the puck with a punishing check and turned and went to the net for another shot. Since then, he has had a few shifts a game where he would take guys off the puck on the boards or drive hard to the net. I am hoping that he'll be one of the exceptions, where he returns from WJC with more confidence and has a big 2nd half. I am hoping his size will prevent the second half fade sometimes seen in guys coming straight out of HS.
                                I'm sure mono helped his disappearing for a bit along. I agree, he is playing like the monster he is more and more often.

The freshman I have been the most surprised by is Condon. I knew Haula would make an impact somehow, so he hasn't surprised me to the same extent. But Condon has a great point shot that lends itself to deflections very well. Alt of course just has a howitzer, which is nothing to sneeze at, but I think the forwards just try to get out of the way with those.
                                the state of hockey is good

Comment

Working...
                                X