Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Minnesota Gophers Season Thread: Kangas Kool-Aid For All!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Gophers Season Thread: Kangas Kool-Aid For All!

Originally posted by HarleyMC View Post

Hopefully some of this momentum will carryover into the second half. At this point the Gophers rank 5th in the WCHA in SOS for the second half behind 4-SCSU, 3-UNO, 2-UAA, and 1-CC. The only way the Gophers stand a chance for home ice in the playoffs is if they can stay above .500 in the remaining 14 conference games. I would venture to say they need at least 8/14 or 16 pts. With 8/14 on the road they'll especially need to be much more consistent as a team series to series and fix the special teams to pull it off. For a shot at an NCAA berth and with ranked teams like Union and Ferris State coming in, they definitely can't afford to lose the Dodge Holiday Classic this season either if they expect to move up in the PWR.

Fri. Jan. 14 @ North Dakota
    Sat. Jan. 15 @ North Dakota
    Fri. Jan. 28 Alaska-Anchorage
    Sat. Jan. 29 Alaska-Anchorage
    Fri. Feb. 4 @ Minnesota-Duluth
    Sat. Feb. 5 @ Minnesota-Duluth
    Fri. Feb. 11 Denver
    Sat. Feb. 12 Denver
    Fri. Feb. 18 @ Wisconsin
    Sat. Feb. 19 @ Wisconsin
    Fri. Feb. 25 Michigan Tech
    Sat. Feb. 26 Michigan Tech
    Fri. Mar. 4@ Bemidji State
    Sat. Mar. 5 @ Bemidji State
    Its so hard to guess with this team. I want to say 16-18 points is not out of reach but that is only if we can sweep Tech, Bemidji, and Anchorage which isn't a given these days. The harder schedule might not be a bad thing giving this teams improved play against "better" teams. I see us finishing in 5th and hosting Wisconsin or CC in the first round of the playoffs.

PWR doesn't mean anything if we win the Final Five.

Originally posted by GopherBigGuy911 View Post
    I would agree. As far as hockey rivalries go I would say that BY FAR the U's biggest rival is No Dak. I would then say SCCC and then Sconi.
    Agree. Maybe its just me but I don't think Wisconsin is that big of rival in hockey. I enjoy watching the Gophers beat UND and SCSU much more.

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
      agreed. Und > uw >> umd >> scsu
      und/uw > umd > du > msum > cc > mtu > uaa > bsu/uno > bu/bc > gac > arcc > erhs >>>> scsu.
      the state of hockey is good

Comment

um... MTU? UAA? UNO? Don't think so.
        Code:
        As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
        College Hockey 6       College Football 0
        BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
        Originally posted by SanTropez
        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
        Originally posted by bigblue_dl
        I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
        Originally posted by Kepler
        When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

um... MTU? UAA? UNO? Don't think so.
          Whoosh...

Comment

Yeah, I thought of that as soon as I posted. Too lazy to edit or delete.
            Code:
            May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
            He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Yeah, I thought of that as soon as I posted. Too lazy to edit or delete.
              I like how you didn't mention Anoka-Ramsey, Gustavus, or Elk River High.

Comment

Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
                I like how you didn't mention Anoka-Ramsey, Gustavus, or Elk River High.
                See above.
                Code:

Comment

Slap Shot: Never.
                  Code:

Comment

Originally posted by BigM3810 View Post
                    Its so hard to guess with this team. I want to say 16-18 points is not out of reach but that is only if we can sweep Tech, Bemidji, and Anchorage which isn't a given these days. The harder schedule might not be a bad thing giving this teams improved play against "better" teams. I see us finishing in 5th and hosting Wisconsin or CC in the first round of the playoffs.

Agree. Maybe its just me but I don't think Wisconsin is that big of rival in hockey. I enjoy watching the Gophers beat UND and SCSU much more.
                    You obviously are younger than myself because I would rather punish the BADgers over anybody in the WCHA.
                    Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
                    dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
                    wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by GopherBigGuy911 View Post
                      I would agree. As far as hockey rivalries go I would say that BY FAR the U's biggest rival is No Dak. I would then say SCCC and then Sconi.
                      Sorry the BADgers are a bigger rival than SCSU.
                      Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
                      dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
                      wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
                        Sorry the BADgers are a bigger rival than SCSU.
                        It is clear who the younger posters are.

Comment

Rivals:

1. UND
                          2. WI
                          6908309860943. Everyone else.

Why UND over WI? Hockey is the ONLY thing North Dakota (the state) has on MN, that I care about. I want to destroy their only sports asset. I want their dream to be crushed.
                          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                          Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by HoosierBBall_GopherHockey View Post
                            I think SCSU fans would even disagree with you on that. UND is Minnesota's biggest rival, then UW, then, IMO, UMD, and then SCSU.

Cross Cheque...were...were you...defending us? Sort of?
                            I love UND hockey but I also love tWCHA and I will defend both against eastern bias and idiots who think yale is the best team in the country.
                            "The man who smiles when something has gone wrong just thought of someone to blame it on." Robert Bloch
                            Discontinued Program:http://s.ecrater.com/stores/70443/48...70e_70443n.jpg
                            The goofs might suck, but Happy swallows.
                            Brooks told me he added something to the effect that, “if you want to go into business, go to Harvard; if you want to be a hockey player, go to North Dakota...”

Comment

Originally posted by BigM3810 View Post

MTU has the highest probability of being swept out of the three. BSU and UAA have both shown they can beat some pretty good teams. BSU swept UNO and UAA has split in most of their series so far and sent several games into overtime.

My guessimate is the Gophers will most likely need to win 5/6 games or 10/12 points from the above 3 series. Taking more than 6 pts from @UND, Denver, @UMD and @Wis. might be tough, but if they put together another series like last weekend it could happen.

However, the margin for error is small. Only 2 series sweeps of the Gophers in their remaining schedule and they'll most likely be on the road and teetering on elimination from the NCAAs.

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                                Rivals:

1. UND
                                2. WI
                                6908309860943. Everyone else.

Why UND over WI? Hockey is the ONLY thing North Dakota (the state) has on MN, that I care about. I want to destroy their only sports asset. I want their dream to be crushed.
                                Speaking of rivals and crushing UND's dreams.

UND's rival is anyone above them in the WCHA standings. Right now UND has no rival.
                                Last edited by SoCalSiouxFan; 12-15-2010, 05:58 PM.
                                "For me, college hockey was obviously the best step I could have taken to get to the next level." - Jonathan Toews, North Dakota/Chicago Blackhawks

Comment

Working...
                                X