Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Minnesota Gophers Season Thread: Kangas Kool-Aid For All!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Gophers Season Thread: Kangas Kool-Aid For All!

So who bolts over Winter Break this year?
    - Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God. -

Go Bemidji Beavers
    Go you Green and White
    Go Bemidji Beavers
    Fight with all your might!
    Rah! Rah! Rah!
    We are here to cheer you
    We are out to win your fame,
    So, Go Bemidji Beavers
    Fight to win this game.-Fight.

Comment

Originally posted by GopherBigGuy911 View Post
      Nobody (I hope)

Comment

most gopher fans?

Comment

Originally posted by Koho View Post
          Date? I'm lucky if I can remember my name. I'd guess 1991? (This was actually Grad school, so I'm a little older than you might think from this date.) I remember shoveling snow out from under the truck feverishly as I could hear plows coming and the back end of the truck was sticking out in the road. With a foot of snow on the road, I didn't figure they'd be able to manouever the plow around me very well, and even if they could, I'd really be buried. Got it far enough off the road a matter of minutes before the plow got there. Then had to shovel a path for my tires all the way to a parking spot. In my memory, it was a good couple hours before I got it parked, from the time I got stuck. I was surprised they hadn't canceled, but didn't regret going.
          I am 41 so yes you are a little older than me.
          Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
          dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
          wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Sorry but I haven't had a Winter Break in over 15 plus years. LOL.
            Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
            dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
            wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

By way of comparison to last season's first half WCHA record of 6-7-1, the Gophers close out the 2010-11 half with a nearly identical WCHA record of 6-6-2. Scoring increased slightly from last season, but the bad news is the GA also increased over last season mostly due to the poor D coverage in several games this season. The D and goaltending from Kent Patterson have improved of late, allowing only 2 G/game over the last 5 games.

FIRST HALF

2009-10: 6-7-1, GF 37, GA 37
              2010-11: 6-6-2, GF 44, GA 43

Hopefully some of this momentum will carryover into the second half. At this point the Gophers rank 5th in the WCHA in SOS for the second half behind 4-SCSU, 3-UNO, 2-UAA, and 1-CC. The only way the Gophers stand a chance for home ice in the playoffs is if they can stay above .500 in the remaining 14 conference games. I would venture to say they need at least 8/14 or 16 pts. With 8/14 on the road they'll especially need to be much more consistent as a team series to series and fix the special teams to pull it off. For a shot at an NCAA berth and with ranked teams like Union and Ferris State coming in, they definitely can't afford to lose the Dodge Holiday Classic this season either if they expect to move up in the PWR.

Fri. Jan. 14 @ North Dakota
              Sat. Jan. 15 @ North Dakota
              Fri. Jan. 28 Alaska-Anchorage
              Sat. Jan. 29 Alaska-Anchorage
              Fri. Feb. 4 @ Minnesota-Duluth
              Sat. Feb. 5 @ Minnesota-Duluth
              Fri. Feb. 11 Denver
              Sat. Feb. 12 Denver
              Fri. Feb. 18 @ Wisconsin
              Sat. Feb. 19 @ Wisconsin
              Fri. Feb. 25 Michigan Tech
              Sat. Feb. 26 Michigan Tech
              Fri. Mar. 4@ Bemidji State
              Sat. Mar. 5 @ Bemidji State

Comment

Commentary: Don’t be fooled into thinking outdoor games are key to growing college hockey

By Dave Starman • National Columnist • Thursday, December 9, 2010

North Dakota-Denver, CC-Denver, and especially UNH-Maine are rivalries and programs that are every bit what the Big Ten schools offer. Minnesota hasn’t been relevant in a while, Ohio State hasn’t either.

Read more: http://www.uscho.com/2010/12/09/comm...#ixzz187FSZzSx
                Yet they still have a better TV contract than anyone, get great recruits, etc, but don't even warrent other mention in this article, including in the list of big rivalries. I think the quote is a little harsh given these facts. I hope this team can continue to play like they did this past weekend to keep it from getting to the point where I completely agree with the quote.

Comment

Originally posted by HarleyMC View Post
                  By way of comparison to last season's first half WCHA record of 6-7-1, the Gophers close out the 2010-11 half with a nearly identical WCHA record of 6-6-2. Scoring increased slightly from last season, but the bad news is the GA also increased over last season mostly due to the poor D coverage in several games this season. The D and goaltending from Kent Patterson have improved of late, allowing only 2 G/game over the last 5 games.

FIRST HALF

2009-10: 6-7-1, GF 37, GA 37
                  2010-11: 6-6-2, GF 44, GA 43

Hopefully some of this momentum will carryover into the second half. At this point the Gophers rank 5th in the WCHA in SOS for the second half behind 4-SCSU, 3-UNO, 2-UAA, and 1-CC. The only way the Gophers stand a chance for home ice in the playoffs is if they can stay above .500 in the remaining 14 conference games. I would venture to say they need at least 8/14 or 16 pts. With 8/14 on the road they'll especially need to be much more consistent as a team series to series and fix the special teams to pull it off. For a shot at an NCAA berth and with ranked teams like Union and Ferris State coming in, they definitely can't afford to lose the Dodge Holiday Classic this season either if they expect to move up in the PWR.

Fri. Jan. 14 @ North Dakota
                  Sat. Jan. 15 @ North Dakota
                  Fri. Jan. 28 Alaska-Anchorage
                  Sat. Jan. 29 Alaska-Anchorage
                  Fri. Feb. 4 @ Minnesota-Duluth
                  Sat. Feb. 5 @ Minnesota-Duluth
                  Fri. Feb. 11 Denver
                  Sat. Feb. 12 Denver
                  Fri. Feb. 18 @ Wisconsin
                  Sat. Feb. 19 @ Wisconsin
                  Fri. Feb. 25 Michigan Tech
                  Sat. Feb. 26 Michigan Tech
                  Fri. Mar. 4@ Bemidji State
                  Sat. Mar. 5 @ Bemidji State
                  With all due respect but Patterson has been the man all year long..... It is Kangas that has been absoluty hot stinky rotten pile of poo bad this year. With the exception of the game against Michigain, Kangas has been as worthless as Tarvaris Jackson.
                  Goalkeeper Statistics

Goal Average Saves Record Goals
                  ## Name GP-GS Minutes GA Avg Saves Pct W L T Sho PP SH EN Pen SOG
                  35 Kent Patterson 12-10 643:38 27 2.52 303 .918 7 2 2 0 11 0 0 0 0
                  33 Alex Kangas 8-7 439:42 28 3.82 231 .892 2 5 0 0 9 1 0 0 0
                  TM EMPTY NET 10-0 6:29 1 - 0 .000 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 0
                  If Patterson was healthy against Michigan State his numbers would be even better, but giving up 3 goals in what 10 mins kind of screws the numbers. If Patterson started all the games this year so far I say we would of at least split with UNO, Swept SCCC, Split or 3 points with Sconi, beaten Michigan State and at least gotten a point out of Mankato.....
                  Last edited by GopherBigGuy911; 12-14-2010, 02:29 PM. Reason: Spelling.... Imagine that ;-)

Go Bemidji Beavers
                  Go you Green and White
                  Go Bemidji Beavers
                  Rah! Rah! Rah!
                  We are here to cheer you
                  So, Go Bemidji Beavers

Comment

Yet they still have a better TV contract than anyone, get great recruits, etc, but don't even warrent other mention in this article, including in the list of big rivalries. I think the quote is a little harsh given these facts. I hope this team can continue to play like they did this past weekend to keep it from getting to the point where I completely agree with the quote.
                    I like to think that UND v UM is one of the biggest and best rivalries in college hockey as well as the UM v UW rivalry. Every college hockey team would kill to have the TV coverage that tGoofs have.
                    The funny part is that Starman says "haven't been relevant in awhile" meanwhile UM has two NCs in the last 10 years and were in the finals of the west regional in 2007 so what does it take to be relevant? SUCS made the list of programs with "strength" and "potential?" Get real.
                    "The man who smiles when something has gone wrong just thought of someone to blame it on." Robert Bloch
                    Discontinued Program:http://s.ecrater.com/stores/70443/48...70e_70443n.jpg
                    The goofs might suck, but Happy swallows.
                    Brooks told me he added something to the effect that, “if you want to go into business, go to Harvard; if you want to be a hockey player, go to North Dakota...”

Comment

Originally posted by cross cheque View Post
                      I like to think that UND v UM is one of the biggest and best rivalries in college hockey as well as the UM v UW rivalry. Every college hockey team would kill to have the TV coverage that tGoofs have.
                      The funny part is that Starman says "haven't been relevant in awhile" meanwhile UM has two NCs in the last 10 years and were in the finals of the west regional in 2007 so what does it take to be relevant? SUCS made the list of programs with "strength" and "potential?" Get real.
                      I would agree. As far as hockey rivalries go I would say that BY FAR the U's biggest rival is No Dak. I would then say SCCC and then Sconi.

Go Bemidji Beavers
                      Go you Green and White
                      Go Bemidji Beavers
                      Rah! Rah! Rah!
                      We are here to cheer you
                      So, Go Bemidji Beavers

Comment

With all due respect but Patterson has been the man all year long..... It is Kangas that has been absoluty hot stinky rotten pile of poo bad this year. With the exception of the game against Michigain, Kangas has been as worthless as Tarvaris Jackson.
                        Goalkeeper Statistics

Goal Average Saves Record Goals
                        ## Name GP-GS Minutes GA Avg Saves Pct W L T Sho PP SH EN Pen SOG
                        35 Kent Patterson 12-10 643:38 27 2.52 303 .918 7 2 2 0 11 0 0 0 0
                        33 Alex Kangas 8-7 439:42 28 3.82 231 .892 2 5 0 0 9 1 0 0 0
                        TM EMPTY NET 10-0 6:29 1 - 0 .000 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 0
                        If Patterson was healthy against Michigan State his numbers would be even better, but giving up 3 goals in what 10 mins kind of screws the numbers. If Patterson started all the games this year so far I say we would of at least split with UNO, Swept SCCC, Split or 3 points with Sconi, beaten Michigan State and at least gotten a point out of Mankato.....
                        I don't think there is as big a difference as you imply in their abilities. Kangas has played in most of the games where the Gophs played the worst D in front of him. Granted, he hasn't been as sharp as in year's past, but it is more a case of one bad goal, occasionally, than just consistantly poor play. With Patterson, he put much of his bad play in a short time period, but he also escaped a game or two where he wasn't perfect looking. In fact, as well as he payed in the last game, he cheated away from the post to cover the pass across on the second goal, instead of hugging the post. It was a phenominal shot, so still could have snuck in, but one D was covering the pass across and the other D had caught up to the other UMD player and had him covered, so his complete attention should have been on hugging the post. He played a great game otherwise, and I can't fault him for one mistake, but just pointing out he isn't perfect either. And I am not sure about the comparison to Vikings QB's either. I think both the Gopher Goalies are more than just capable. Not sure I would say that for any of the Vikings QB's this year - too old or just plain crappy!

Comment

Originally posted by gopherbigguy911 View Post
                          i would agree. As far as hockey rivalries go i would say that by far the u's biggest rival is no dak. I would then say sccc and then sconi.
                          what?
                          the state of hockey is good

Comment

I would agree. As far as hockey rivalries go I would say that BY FAR the U's biggest rival is No Dak. I would then say SCCC and then Sconi.
                            I think SCSU fans would even disagree with you on that. UND is Minnesota's biggest rival, then UW, then, IMO, UMD, and then SCSU.

Cross Cheque...were...were you...defending us? Sort of?

Comment

He's clearly ******** or working with some other mental handicap. Cut him some slack.
                              Code:
                              As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                              College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                              BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                              Originally posted by SanTropez
                              May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                              Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                              I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                              Originally posted by Kepler
                              When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                              He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by HoosierBBall_GopherHockey View Post
                                I think SCSU fans would even disagree with you on that. UND is Minnesota's biggest rival, then UW, then, IMO, UMD, and then SCSU.

Cross Cheque...were...were you...defending us? Sort of?
                                Agreed. UND > UW >> UMD >> SCSU
                                Code:
                                As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                                College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                                BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                                Originally posted by SanTropez
                                May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                                Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                                I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                                Originally posted by Kepler
                                When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                                He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Working...
                                X