Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Minnesota Gophers Season Thread: Kangas Kool-Aid For All!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Gophers Season Thread: Kangas Kool-Aid For All!

Originally posted by fahey4prez View Post
    Greetings Gophers fans...

I come before you a humbled Northeastern Huskies fan asking a favor. I'm currently living in South Dakota and am heading to Minneapolis next weekend. Have never been to a Gophers game at Mariucci Arena and would love to go. Was hoping to find out if somebody had two tickets available for the game on Saturday night (12/11) against Duluth. I realize it is probably a hot ticket.

I have been to every Hockey East arena (except Vermont) but haven't had a chance to check out any arenas in the midwest yet. Hoping for good seats at a fair price to make my first experience there a great time. Please feel free to get in touch with me at seh128@aol.com or reply to this thread if you have tickets or ideas on the best way to get some. Thanks!!!

As a side note, I will most likely be wearing my Northeastern jersey so feel free to say hi! Thanks again!
    I doubt you will have trouble finding tickets. I would look on craigslist. Just make sure to get them before the Duluth fans do!

Comment

Originally posted by Greyeagle View Post
      Greetings from a humbled MN fan, mine are not for sale.
      Looks like there ar quite a few for sale on StubHub if you're interested. There is not a bad seat in the arena so it's just a matter of whee you want to sit.
      Sorry you can't be a Gopher fan and be humble. They are mutually exclusive traits.
      PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
      Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
      NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Looking forward, the Gophers upcoming conference schedule gets a bit tougher. This team could be on the verge of a serious meltdown and surpass last season's exercise in futility. Based upon their recent and consistent ineptitude, they could realistically lose most of the next 10 WCHA games:

Fri. Dec. 10 Minnesota-Duluth (L)
        Sat. Dec. 11 Minnesota-Duluth (L)
        Fri. Jan. 14 @ North Dakota (L)
        Sat. Jan. 15 @ North Dakota (L)
        Fri. Jan. 28 Alaska-Anchorage (W)
        Sat. Jan. 29 Alaska-Anchorage (W)
        Fri. Feb. 4 @ Minnesota-Duluth (L)
        Sat. Feb. 5 @ Minnesota-Duluth (L)
        Fri. Feb. 11 Denver (L)
        Sat. Feb. 12 Denver (L)

By Feb. 12-13 last season, the Gophers were 8-12-2 in WCHA games. After the above stretch, the Gopher's conference record (currently 5-6-1) could feasibly be at 7-14-1 (even with a generous home sweep of UAA) with 6 more WCHA games to go (4/6 on the road). The Gopher's conference record last season was 12-14-2. Honestly, given the parity and high level of competition in the WCHA, I don't see how this team makes the NCAAs this season, much less the F5.
        Last edited by HarleyMC; 12-05-2010, 02:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by HarleyMC View Post
          Looking forward, the Gophers upcoming conference schedule gets a bit tougher. This team could be on the verge of a serious meltdown and surpass last season's exercise in futility. Based upon their recent and consistent ineptitude, they could realistically lose most of the next 10 WCHA games:

Fri. Dec. 10 Minnesota-Duluth (L)
          Sat. Dec. 11 Minnesota-Duluth (L)
          Fri. Jan. 14 @ North Dakota (L)
          Sat. Jan. 15 @ North Dakota (L)
          Fri. Jan. 28 Alaska-Anchorage (W)
          Sat. Jan. 29 Alaska-Anchorage (W)
          Fri. Feb. 4 @ Minnesota-Duluth (L)
          Sat. Feb. 5 @ Minnesota-Duluth (L)
          Fri. Feb. 11 Denver (L)
          Sat. Feb. 12 Denver (L)

By Feb. 12-13 last season, the Gophers were 8-12-2 in WCHA games. After the above stretch, the Gopher's conference record (currently 5-6-1) could feasibly be at 7-14-2 (even with a generous home sweep of UAA) with 6 more WCHA games to go (4/6 on the road). The Gopher's conference record last season was 12-14-2. Honestly, given the parity and high level of competition in the WCHA, I don't see how this team makes the NCAAs this season, much less the F5.
          Being worse than last years team almost seems impossible. But it could very easily happen and probably will.

This team isn't making the NCAAs and at this rate I almost kind of hope they don't. I realize that's a horrible attitude but at this rate I don't need Maturi to have any reason to keep Lucia ("The team barely got to the NCAAs! let's keep him!"). Especially when you consider that it would also imply another year of John Hill.

This year didn't have to be a complete waste. If Maturi had any balls he would have fired Lucia and we'd be that much closer to rebuilding and competing for NCAA titles. As it is we're just going to waste an entire year and Mariucci will continue to see less than stellar crowds and lose money.

Comment

Originally posted by trixR4kids View Post
            Being worse than last years team almost seems impossible. But it could very easily happen and probably will.

This team isn't making the NCAAs and at this rate I almost kind of hope they don't. I realize that's a horrible attitude but at this rate I don't need Maturi to have any reason to keep Lucia ("The team barely got to the NCAAs! let's keep him!"). Especially when you consider that it would also imply another year of John Hill.

This year didn't have to be a complete waste. If Maturi had any balls he would have fired Lucia and we'd be that much closer to rebuilding and competing for NCAA titles. As it is we're just going to waste an entire year and Mariucci will continue to see less than stellar crowds and lose money.
            I agree. I've seen enough of this season to know that there is no consistency or confidence to put teams away. After three years of the same crap, the coaching staff has to bear most of the responsibility for the demise and systemic decline of the Gopher hockey program. However, it's very possible that the excuses will be forthcoming and exhaustive in any case as an attempt to avoid the financial liability. If and when that happens, Gopher fans should make lots of noise.

Comment

I agree. I've seen enough of this season to know that there is no consistency or confidence to put teams away. After three years of the same crap, the coaching staff has to bear most of the responsibility for the demise and systemic decline of the Gopher hockey program. However, it's very possible that the excuses will be forthcoming and exhaustive in any case as an attempt to avoid the financial liability. If and when that happens, Gopher fans should make lots of noise.
              I think he could be bought out and it wouldn't be that big of a financial burden. No way the boosters will put up with it for another year.

Comment

I think he could be bought out and it wouldn't be that big of a financial burden. No way the boosters will put up with it for another year.
                The UMN Athletic Dept. is already financially stretched beyond their limits with loan payments to offset the buyouts over the past few years (Mason, Monson, Brewster). Granted Lucia's contract is less than Brewsters (AD reportedly owed $775,000 on the Brewster buyout), but it would come at a very inopportune time. Hiring a new football coach will most likely require a much larger contract than Brewsters (probably 1.5+ million) and with slumping football ticket sales, other UMN sports may be on the chopping block to pay for it. This not a good time for another buyout cost for the University of Minnesota Athletic Dept. My guess is Maturi may attempt a PR spin to avoid the buyout and keep Lucia one more season to the end of his contract, even if this season's outcome is worse than last year. Mono, the flu, injuries, lots of rookies, lots of potential, some positives....I can hear it now. But it's more about money now than a vibrant hockey program.

I thought it was funny, when listening to the end of the Gopher radio broadcast last night, that Sonmor stated this team can still make it to the FF in St. Paul. Let's be honest, this team will not get a sniff at the NCAAs and this season will probably eclipse last season's cruel disappointment.
                Last edited by HarleyMC; 12-05-2010, 03:49 AM.

Comment

If that happens Maturi will have sealed his fate.

Comment

If that happens Maturi will have sealed his fate.
                    Maturi, has been offered a two-year contract extension by outgoing University of Minnesota President Bob Bruininks, and I would not be surprised if he takes it as soon as a new president is named. If he lands a fairly qualified football coach with either a low buyout cost from another university and/or a reasonable salary and the PR hype for the football program escalates on the heels of the hiring, he might circumvent a lot of backlash despite a full on Lucia snowjob to keep him another season. Lucia and Maturi are joined at the hip in much the same way as Hill is.

Comment

The UMN Athletic Dept. is already financially stretched beyond their limits with loan payments to offset the buyouts over the past few years (Mason, Monson, Brewster). Granted Lucia's contract is less than Brewsters (AD reportedly owed $775,000 on the Brewster buyout), but it would come at a very inopportune time. Hiring a new football coach will most likely require a much larger contract than Brewsters (probably 1.5+ million) and with slumping football ticket sales, other UMN sports may be on the chopping block to pay for it. This not a good time for another buyout cost for the University of Minnesota Athletic Dept. My guess is Maturi may attempt a PR spin to avoid the buyout and keep Lucia one more season to the end of his contract, even if this season's outcome is worse than last year. Mono, the flu, injuries, lots of rookies, lots of potential, some positives....I can hear it now. But it's more about money now than a vibrant hockey program.
                      While we know the games are technically sellouts (they are, aren't they?), is it not also true that the actual number of people in the arena is declining? The U can claim all tickets have been bought and paid for, but if you don't actually have 10,000 (or close to it) in the building for every game, it *will* hit the bottom line. I can't imagine merchandise sales have done particularly well the past three seasons, and if actual butts in the seats have dropped 20%, that will also do a number on concessions. Whether or not these things are anywhere near the amount it would cost to buy out tDon is anyone's guess, but I would think the U is certainly aware of any change to the cash flow from the hockey program.
                      I thought it was funny, when listening to the end of the Gopher radio broadcast last night, that Sonmor stated this team can still make it to the FF in St. Paul. Let's be honest, this team will not get a sniff at the NCAAs and this season will probably eclipse last season's cruel disappointment.
                      Well, he's right. There's a long list of teams that were **** early in a season and great in the middle-to-end. While it's horrible to see MN get swept by a perennial bottom tier finisher in the league, I can't say the team played poorly this weekend. The simple fact of the matter is they suck at killing penalties and struggle when falling behind. There's still time for them to figure this out, and if they do, I think they have enough talent to make a run. Unfortunately, I'm not particularly optimistic about this given the recent track record of those in charge of the program.

Comment

Originally posted by Bakunin View Post
                        While we know the games are technically sellouts (they are, aren't they?), is it not also true that the actual number of people in the arena is declining? The U can claim all tickets have been bought and paid for, but if you don't actually have 10,000 (or close to it) in the building for every game, it *will* hit the bottom line. I can't imagine merchandise sales have done particularly well the past three seasons, and if actual butts in the seats have dropped 20%, that will also do a number on concessions. Whether or not these things are anywhere near the amount it would cost to buy out tDon is anyone's guess, but I would think the U is certainly aware of any change to the cash flow from the hockey program.
                        When teams win, people come and watch and stuff sells. I don't have a clue as to the actual numbers, but betting the house on the fact that merchandise sales have dropped off seems like a safe wager.

Well, he's right. There's a long list of teams that were **** early in a season and great in the middle-to-end. While it's horrible to see MN get swept by a perennial bottom tier finisher in the league, I can't say the team played poorly this weekend. The simple fact of the matter is they suck at killing penalties and struggle when falling behind. There's still time for them to figure this out, and if they do, I think they have enough talent to make a run. Unfortunately, I'm not particularly optimistic about this given the recent track record of those in charge of the program.
                        Sonmor bleeds maroon and gold and is about as bias as it gets on the radio. But in reality I suspect he's smart enough to know that if this team doesn't drastically improve they don't stand a chance at making the FF. I would add the NCAAs. Certainly some teams like Mich. State a few years ago started slow and made a nice run to the FF and won it. But I doubt whether this Gopher team is in that class.

I agree last night was not a terrible game for the Gophers. Cook and the Mav D played pretty well too. But they had 50 SOG and lots of scoring chances. The bottom line is it's all meaningless if you don't score. Good teams consistently find ways to score, especially against a team like MSUM whom up to this point had only won 2/10 conference games. There have been some positive improvements but in some ways they remind me of last year. They seldom play with a lead, can't come back from a deficit, have difficulty putting together two solid back-to-back games, and are often emotionally inconsistent with their effort from series-to-series.

They've been swept twice already. The most they've been swept over the past three seasons is 4 (08-09) all coming in the second half. With their upcoming schedule into the second half, this team is in deep *. If they don't pull it together, I see them getting swept at least 2 or more times before the end, settling in the bottom half of the WCHA and on the road for the playoffs.

Comment

After finally being able to watch a few games this year it seems like they don't have the talent they had in the past. In previous years they were usually a more talented team, but couldn't put things together because of work ethic, coaching, etc... It seems like this is a combination of poor recruiting and a lack of development of current players from year-to-year. Both of these things fall back on the coaching staff. I just wish they would have pulled the trigger a year earlier on Lucia giving them a shot at Blasi or Blais.
                          "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." - Frederic Bastiat

Comment

This was my thought on the weekend, I know getting swept by Mankato should be unheard of but they (Gophers) didn't play all that bad this weekend and last night were dominant in long stretches IMO. The PP was non-existent all weekend but Cook stood on his head and every other body part he had flopping out there, we had 50 shots on goal 23 alone in the 3rd. But the losses combined with the last few years of futility and the natives are past getting restless and have pitchforks.
                            Last edited by Driftryder; 12-05-2010, 09:27 AM.
                            Originally posted by CavalryNate
                            Disrespecting the Gophers is like disowning your mother the first time you get a girlfriend.
                            sigpic

Comment

I think you're right on with the money part. Plus with the state facing at $6 billion defecit, the U's budget will most likely face some cuts. As an actually taxpayer to this state, I was pretty ****ed to find out the U's paying almost a million dollars for a football coach to sit at home, while not filling positions, furloughs, and possilbe layoffs(if there haven't been some already) elsewhere in the U.

Comment

Article in the PP

Statistics can lie, there's no doubt, but they also can cut to the chase. For the University of Minnesota men's hockey team, one stat sticks out above all others:

When the Gophers have scored first this season, they're 7-0-1. When opponents score first, they're 1-7-0.

"It's crazy," senior Jacob Cepis said.

Scoring first in a hockey game is always important. As coach Don Lucia points out, there aren't a ton of goals scored in the average game. But when it comes to the Gophers' successes and failures this season, the contrast is striking.

Is it really that big a deal?

"It shouldn't be, but obviously we're making that statistic relevant," senior Jay Barriball said. "It's a hockey game; you're going to get scored on, you're going to be down, and we're going to score some goals, too. That's just the natural course of a game.

"Whatever it is, we have to find a way to respond when we get scored on first. Obviously that's going to be a big part of the second half."

Lucia said the disparity is complex in one sense; there have been many mistakes that led to early deficits. On the other hand, the coach pointed out, it can be easily explained.

"When we play a good, solid first period," he said, "we usually play well the whole game."
                                Early penalties, for instance, have led to first-period deficits. From there, especially early this season, a few games have spiraled out of control.
                                "It's a big confidence thing," Cepis said. "When you score first, you're more relaxed. You don't worry so much about what's going to happen next. You're more comfortable."

Due to miss Classic: Gophers freshmen Nick Bjugstad and Erik Haula will play in the IIHF World Junior Hockey Championship Dec. 26-Jan. 5 in Buffalo, N.Y.
                                Minnesota has a 20-day layoff after this weekend's games against No. 2 Minnesota-Duluth, but Bjugstad, a member of the U.S. team, and Haula, who will play for Finland, will miss the Mariucci Classic Dec. 31-Jan. 1 that features Union and Ferris State.

Gopher recruits: Lucia (somewhat) formally announced the Gophers' early signing class on Wednesday.

The forwards: Connor Reilly and Ryan Reilly, brothers and Holy Angels grads playing for Sioux Falls (USHL); Eden Prairie senior Kyle Rau; Christian Isackson of Sioux Falls (USHL); Seth Ambroz of Omaha (USHL); U.S. Under-18 player Travis Boyd.

Lucia also signed Green Bay (USHL) teammates Adam Wilcox, a goaltender from South St. Paul, and Ben Marshall, a defenseman from Mahtomedi.
                                Originally posted by CavalryNate
                                Disrespecting the Gophers is like disowning your mother the first time you get a girlfriend.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X