Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Quinnipiac Bobcats '10-'11

Originally posted by MSchvatz44 View Post
    with that said, i see us coming out with some fire tonight, as the atmosphere should be real good. as for the score, unfortunately i see a 5-3 yale win. sorry guys, i will eat my words if i am wrong tonight. either way, ill be there cheering my heart out.
    What can I say? We did come out on fire and took it to them in the 1st. I really thought we had them back on their heels all period. The second was a little more even though I thought we carried most of the play. In the 3rd, a different Yale team showed up. Either they got faster or we got slower, but whatever it was... wow. A few stupid penalties didn't help either.

The 1-pt weekend stings a little bit but it's way too early for this team to give up (or for any of us to give up on them). Yale might be as good as all the press they've been getting, but they are beatable and I expect The February game at the Bank to be another Yale-QU classic.

In the mean time, we need to settle down and get sorted out. I see a few guys starting to press a little bit. We seem ok defensively but the offense really needs to come together. I don't know if it's the line combos or what, but they seem to lack consistency from shift to shift. Special teams is another area that needs work. We gave up 5 PPG's this weekend and need to do better there. Of course, if we stayed out of the box in the first place...

Keep the faith Bobcat supporters. It's early enough where we can forget about this weekend and move on. I'm optimistic that this offense will get on track and start finding the net. I'd also much rather see the bad games come early in the season and have the team improve each week.
    Quinnipiac Bobcats
    2023 National Champions
    ECAC Regular Season Champions: 2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2018-19, 2020-21, 2021-22, 2022-23, 2023-24
    ECAC Tournament Champions: 2016
    East Regional: 2013 (Champions), 2014, 2016 (Champions), 2023 (Champions)
    Northeast Regional:

West Regional: 2015, 2021
    Midwest Regional: 2019, 2022
    Frozen Four: 2013, 2016, 2023 (Champions)

Pass complete. Lipkin has a man in front! Shot... SCORE!!!

Comment

Mark hit the nail on the head. The one thing everyone around the ECAC will quickly learn (at their peril if they ignore it) is that Yale is a dominant team on the PP. If you can't stay out of the box....you can't win!!!
      Q had all the jump in the first period and did have Yale sitting on their heels. I think the other thing we learned is that on the other end you have to bury your chances when you have them. Q did have some glorious chances but did not get their sticks down or shot wide. I still think Yale is very suspect between the pipes and unfortunately Q did not test Rondeau enough. A lot of the shots were from far out and he had an easy and clear look at them. On the other hand Clarke got hung out to dry by his teammates and you certainly can't fault him for those goals. Probably no team transitions faster than Yale and several of their goals were Grade A chances, shots from the open side, etc.
      There were some monster hits which were fun to watch and several Q players laid out some Yale players including Kearney as he was entering the zone. On some others the elbows got up and into the penalty box was the result.
      Great to see Mark, Luke and the crew and thanks again Mark for the invite.
      SLU

Comment

Originally posted by critsports View Post
        Great to see Mark, Luke and the crew and thanks again Mark for the invite.
        Anytime Mike. It's always a pleasure having you come out and join us. I know you love the game and can't get up to see your Saints as often as you'd like; hopefully we're a decent substitute. One of these days we'll need to go post-game somewhere!
        Quinnipiac Bobcats
        2023 National Champions
        ECAC Regular Season Champions: 2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2018-19, 2020-21, 2021-22, 2022-23, 2023-24
        Northeast Regional:

Comment

-crawls out of the woodwork-

I've at least been making it to all the games, even though I haven't been posting so far this year. most of you don't listen to me anyways

This weekend was not very pretty (well some parts at least)
          I think both the Brown and Yale games showed our weaknesses. We are still having trouble finding the net. Granted, I don't look at all the stats and know who is on every single line, etc. but Zurvy simply has not been producing. I feel like even the Jones should be getting higher stats. Langer, Reese and Yuri haven't really found the net. I will say we're getting better with at least taking some shots for once, but still setting up nice plays isn't there. The goal at Yale was a scrap in front that we were lucky to get in!
          I think we've got some really great defenseman (Dahli, Davies) and some others that are lacking (Hansen, Glaicar).
          So far the goaltending has been pretty decent. Hartzell has stepped up, getting some playing time. Even Clarke has been rather consistent. Has he missed goals he shouldn't have? of course, but no goalie is perfect.
          we need to stop taking dumb penalties as well. it's hard to put together an offense when you are consistenly down a player for much of a period.
          QU has struggled putting together 60 solid minutes in the past and this year that is still the issue.
          Let's go Q!

Win or Lose, I'm still a Bobcat

Comment

Nice touch by Yale and Quinnipiac yesterday in raising over $4,000 at Mandi's March:

http://www.quinnipiacbobcats.com/Vie...CLID=205026430

It was a great day for all, except the 3rd period for QU!. Congrats to Yale for a great game and for working with QU to benefit Mandi

http://www.youtube.com/quinnipiacath.../0/UmOYdo7YVM0

Comment

Originally posted by FredDavenport View Post
              Nice touch by Yale and Quinnipiac yesterday in raising over $4,000 at Mandi's March
              Congratulations to all who organized and participated in this event!

Are there any plans to do something similar in February when Yale comes to the Bank, or in connection with the women's programs?
              Quinnipiac Bobcats
              2023 National Champions
              Northeast Regional:

Comment

Mark I'm really glad you're around because you do seem to make less then swell situations seem a little bit better. I left Ingalls last night really troubled. Troubled about our offense. You can attribute it to taking penalties or Rondeau finally playing well but the fact of the matter is we only scored 1 goal against a Yale defense that let up 4, 3 and 3 to Bruno and Princeton. Our offense is a non factor right now in my eyes and Starless touched on this. Where are we going to get points from? Zurvy has done his best disappearing act this year and his pro prospects may be disappearing with it because the only #19 NHL prospect I saw last night was Denny Kearney. You can't expect anything more out of Clarke when this undisciplined team continues to put a dynamite Yale offense on the PP time and time again. I want to be able to blame Chip and crappy officiating but really, there weren't too many borderline calls. Our defense is also really susceptible to getting burned. Glaics can't skate, Hansen is Hansen and Barron looks like an alpaca being chased by a mountain lion when chasing the puck behind the net.

But I digress, Dalsy looks great and may be our best defenseman at this point in the season. Langlois has finally started to put some quality games together and was one of the only bright spots last night. Bobby Tyson has also been a bright spot since being inserted as a checking line forward. Keep him there Rand, enough with the healthy scratches switching up every night. Let this team have some time to build chemistry. Also, our hitting is back. We have decent size this year and I don't think it should take the "Whitney War" to bring out the hitting. Bring it every night, get nasty and let teams know that we will bury them if their head is down. It was pure pleasure seeing Kearney and co. being nearly beheaded coming across the ice and even though we were on the receiving end of some of these hits, it's awesome hockey to watch.

I'm simply trying to keep us level headed but I worry that this could be our first season not gaining home ice in the tourney. I know it's early, but they need to find a way to score. If they don't they are in for a world of hurt. I missed seeing Heichman on the ice last night, but I'm not sure he'd make a difference in a game like that.

There is a ton of season left but it doesn't get any easier with Cornell/Colgate coming up next weekend. We need to take some points out that series. Score some goals!
                Last edited by allnightwong; 11-07-2010, 11:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by allnightwong View Post
                  Mark I'm really glad you're around because you do seem to make less then swell situations seem a little bit better.
                  Is it my optimism or my charming personality?

I left Ingalls last night really troubled. Troubled about our offense.
                  You're not alone... I agree that we need to find an offense, and fast.

the fact of the matter is we only scored 1 goal against a Yale defense that let up 4, 3 and 3 to Bruno and Princeton.
                  Mike said it best: we need to start burying our chances. I also don't see this being a finesse team like we've had recently. Throw the puck on the net. Garbage goals counts the same way pretty ones do.

You can't expect anything more out of Clarke when this undisciplined team continues to put a dynamite Yale offense on the PP time and time again.
                  Clarke was good last night but he needed to be great. Larson and I talked about this during the past 2 games: Rand can't leave Hartzell on the bench. I'm really beginning to think we need a goalie rotation until (if) one of them stands on his head consistently.

I want to be able to blame Chip and crappy officiating but really, there weren't too many borderline calls.
                  I have to agree here too. Chip wasn't really a factor last night as we created our own problems.

Our defense is also really susceptible to getting burned. Glaics can't skate, Hansen is Hansen and Barron looks like an alpaca being chased by a mountain lion when chasing the puck behind the net.
                  Here's where I disagree with you, at least partially. I think Glaicar has improved this year. Granted, he hasn't gotten any faster but to these old eyes he appears to be playing smarter. Think about this: how many times has he been skated by this year? He's been hustling to the puck and or laying his body into the opposition... maybe not the monster hits he's capable of, but hits nonetheless.

enough with the healthy scratches switching up every night. Let this team have some time to build chemistry
                  I'll add this: at least let some of these kids play a complete weekend. I think some of them might respond differently given an opportunity. Tolkinen comes to mind. The kid looks like he's got what it takes. Find a way to get him in the lineup.

I'm simply trying to keep us level headed but I worry that this could be our first season not gaining home ice in the tourney. I know it's early...
                  Way too early to be worried about that buddy!

but they need to find a way to score. If they don't they are in for a world of hurt.
                  Think back to 2 years ago. We went 3 games at the start of the season without a goal... 3! Bryan Leitch went on to lead the nation in points that year. The way Rand prefers a finesse offense I think causes these slow starts. The potential for scoring from this team is huge. Comfort level and chemistry are what I see missing.

There is a ton of season left but it doesn't get any easier with Cornell/Colgate coming up next weekend. We need to take some points out that series. Score some goals!
                  Of course it doesn't get any easier... that's why they keep score!
                  Quinnipiac Bobcats
                  2023 National Champions
                  Northeast Regional:

Comment

Thx for the nice comments, it really was a nice event.

Plan is once a year...next year Mandi's March will start at Ingall's and come the 7.5 miles to Hamden/TDBSC..Date is TBA

Comment

Hear me out on this..
                      Am I the only one feeling like there is no rhythm with the team yet? Wonger pointed it out that the one game weekends weren't really working out, but even with regular season play now underway I feel like there is no flow yet. In a way I think it's reflecting on the team's play as well. Unlike we had hoped no,t even the line of Zurvy and the two Jones brothers have clicked yet. And in general it seems that we have some guys who have excellent nights - they play hard, get some nice chances on goal or make good plays - and then everyone else is still lacking. Anybody else getting that feeling too? My schedule is so busy and hectic as it is, maybe I just can't sit down and appreciate hockey the way I did last season, but something feels off.
                      Thoughts?
                      Let's go Q!

Win or Lose, I'm still a Bobcat

Comment

Originally posted by starlessixisky View Post
                        Hear me out on this..
                        Am I the only one feeling like there is no rhythm with the team yet? Wonger pointed it out that the one game weekends weren't really working out, but even with regular season play now underway I feel like there is no flow yet. In a way I think it's reflecting on the team's play as well. Unlike we had hoped no,t even the line of Zurvy and the two Jones brothers have clicked yet. And in general it seems that we have some guys who have excellent nights - they play hard, get some nice chances on goal or make good plays - and then everyone else is still lacking. Anybody else getting that feeling too? My schedule is so busy and hectic as it is, maybe I just can't sit down and appreciate hockey the way I did last season, but something feels off.
                        Thoughts?
                        Agreed totally. There are times when it seems like some of those lines have never played together before, especially the Jones/Zurvy line. I understand the dynamic of the twins having played together for a long time, but sometimes they rely too much on that chemistry and don't look for some of the other players on the ice.

We started the year with a few games of good solid team defense, and the wins seemed to follow. Why is it that, every year, the minute we start to tally some wins we stop playing team defense and leave our goalies hanging out to dry?

and Barron looks like an alpaca being chased by a mountain lion when chasing the puck behind the net.
                        I got a chuckle and a half out of this, but too true too true.

Two games on the road this weekend against teams that we should be able to beat, even on the road. Anything less than 3 points this weekend is certainly a disappointment.
                        Quinnipiac University 2002-2006
                        The Northford years

Comment

Originally posted by Kitten at QU View Post
                          I got a chuckle and a half out of this
                          You ought to try a whole game at his side!
                          Quinnipiac Bobcats
                          2023 National Champions
                          Northeast Regional:

Comment

Originally posted by MarkEagleUSA View Post
                            You ought to try a whole game at his side!
                            I'm full of chuckle makers.

Comment

I'm full of chuckle makers.
                              Pure entertainment.
                              Quinnipiac Bobcats
                              2023 National Champions
                              Northeast Regional:

Comment

Way too much school work, class pickings and Bruins games this week. I am back, for a weekend at least. I must say right now the buzz of this campus is not the hockey team. B-ball starts tomorrow and the home opener is tuesday. I know I am pumped for that team to get goin, but a sweep this weekend, I am not saying that will happen, would bring hockey back close to the forefront. To be honest I think the Yale loss dropped alot of freshmen off the bandwagon, but whatever. It is early I am not too worried yet. If I am Zurvy, I am poopin' my pants. Gotta start scoring, just gettin' points that is all I am looking for. Assists or goals either is fine by me. I will once again say it, start Hartzell tonight. Go ahead Rand, it seems like you like switchin' things up these days, what with Bui in the lineup last week. Start him in the most hostile rink you will play in the rest of the year and see how he reacts. Gotta get 2pts this weekend. Please. Please. Please. Please. Lets go Q.

Comment

Working...
                                X