X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Colgate 2010-11

Originally posted by Gaterrooter View Post
    2 and 2 heading into league play and yet another road trip.

The team looked very strong against a very poor Sacred Heart team and although we scored 5, I would have to say the offense wasn't clicking. They will eventually get it together and start putting up good numbers. The 1st line did not get a point in a game where we took 55 shots and scored 5 goals, is the glass half full or half empty? I think half full. Also the D figured in the scoring on a few goals which is also great news. If we can get a W on Friday we will no doubt sweep up north and get out of there before the heavy snow falls.
    Not to rain on your parade, but folks need to keep in mind that sweeping in the North Country isn't as easy as it sounds. In fact, Colgate has not done so since the mid-90s. The best result recently was three points when the current seniors were freshmen. Colgate edged St. Lawrence 2-1 in a game where Tyler Burton scored twice in the first five minutes of the game. The next night, Colgate and Clarkson played to a scoreless tie - only the second in school history. Since then, Colgate has obviously had great success at Cheel and has played well at Appleton but not well enough to win.

St. Lawrence has won six in a row over Colgate including two in the playoffs last year. The seniors are the only class to have beaten St. Lawrence - last in game three of the 2008 ECAC playoff series between the two schools. For some reason, Colgate just traditionally doesn't play well at St. Lawrence. When that team gets rolling in that building, it is hard to stop - just look at last year's four-goal flood in the third period.

And while the Larries haven't won yet, that will make them all the hungrier at home to get a win should they not get by Cornell.

But, that's why they play the games. We'll see what happens.

Comment

Wow that was a little rain on the parade. But, streaks are meant to be broken, tides always turn, and a bunch of other cliches like that mean that mean we have a chance.
      The season opens in NEBRASKA!

Comment

Wow that was a little rain on the parade. But, streaks are meant to be broken, tides always turn, and a bunch of other cliches like that mean that mean we have a chance.
        Gaterrooter, I admire and share your enthusiasm. But also think that 2 or 3 points out of this weekend would be a great positive.
        Hockeyenthusiast

Colgate Class of '03

-I saw Andy McDonald play at Starr Rink.

Comment

Hey folks - apologies if you guys covered this, but if you hadn't heard Brock McBride was called up to Houston from Elmira...

http://www.standard-freeholder.com/A...aspx?e=2826491
          ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
            Hey folks - apologies if you guys covered this, but if you hadn't heard Brock McBride was called up to Houston from Elmira...

http://www.standard-freeholder.com/A...aspx?e=2826491
            Wicked, thanks for the heads up, but I think you meant to post that in the SLU thread.
            Hockeyenthusiast

Colgate Class of '03

Comment

I just don't want people to get down on things on here should the team not take both games that's all.

Comment

OK, point taken. I am adjusting my expectations to include Colgate being swept this weekend up North. Anything other than that and I'll be all smiles. Kind of like Obama expecting to lose all 435 seats in the House last night and only losing 242 or so its a win!
                The season opens in NEBRASKA!

Comment

Just wanted to give all you fans of Colgate Hockey a heads up that there is a Colgate hockey jersey up for auction at www.obermanauction.com. (Not to mention some other great college hockey items). The auction is going to help raise funds for the head Men's Hockey Equipment manager at the University of Minnesota-Duluth, Chris Garner. The auction is to help offset medical costs (not covered by insurance) incurred from a bone marrow transplant Chris had in August. He is doing well now and hoping to be back at work by mid to late November. The auction ends on Monday, November 8th, so please check it out.....www.obermanauction.com is the auction site again. Thank you.

Comment

OK only 2 days to get those picks in for the ECAC Pick The Standings Contest.
                    Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
                    And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
                    WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
                    If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

Comment

• Re: Colgate 2010-11

Noticed we're tied for fifth in the country goals against(2). Real season starts tonight, how nice would a sweep be ?? Is it possible, great success at Cheel and none at Appleton in the last 6-7 yrs.
                      It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

Originally posted by sshablak View Post
                        Noticed we're tied for fifth in the country goals against(2). Real season starts tonight, how nice would a sweep be ?? Is it possible, great success at Cheel and none at Appleton in the last 6-7 yrs.
                        That's what bothers me about this weekend. We just have no success in that place. Stark contrast to Cheel where we've actually only lost once in the last 7 years, that same stretch we've won in Appleton.....once

Heck, we haven't beaten SLU at all since '07-08. I'd really like to get those guys this weekend...
                        ECAC Champions: 1990
                        NCAA Frozen Four: 1990
                        ECAC Regular Season Champions: 1990 2004 2006
                        ECAC Final Four: 1981 1990 1995 2000 2004 2005 2006 2008 2011 2012 2014 2015
                        NCAA Tournament: 1981 1990 2000 2005 2014
                        Let's Go 'Gate!

Comment

Originally posted by 'Gate Radio View Post
                          I just don't want people to get down on things on here should the team not take both games that's all.
                          Raider fans and Alum don't get down .... we may want for a few things; but this is the year to sweep the NC. Maybe I'll temper that a bit to a 3 point trip. The boys looked good on the Cape. I haven't seen anyone else in the league play yet; but nobody's numbers are off-the-charts. Fans are supposed to be FANATICAL. Let's GO GATE !!!

Comment

Pre-game thoughts:

-Cheel Arena is a rink where we've only lost once in the past 7 years, and that was a 1-0 decision in the 2008 ECAC Quarterfinals. Heck, our last regular season loss in Potsdam was back in 2003! We then won the series in dramatic fashion. Then again, Clarkson is a better team than they were last year. This game could go either way.

-Appleton Arena, on the contrary, is a house of horrors for us. We've only won once there in that same timespan (2008). However, SLU will be without forward Aaron Bogosian and (so far, best) defenseman Peter Child. At least 5 of their 6 D-men are either freshmen or sophomores and they're playing a freshman goalie. But they've played 4 overtime games so far. This game could also go either way.

We earned splits in 08-09 and 09-10 on this trip (W at Clarkson, L at SLU). I'll be happy with at least a split this weekend. Let's go 'Gate!
                            Colgate '09

Comment

Boy did we let this one slip away at Cheel. Every game needs to be a playoff game, beginning with game 1. I wasn't sold on Evin at all last year and I'm not sold on Evin this year. Four goals should have won us the game. That was an abyssmal 3rd period with no discipline. Penalties are a part of the game and we screwed ourselves whether we deserved them or not, so I won't make any excuses.

A point is a point, and it's on the road in the North Country, nonetheless. Time to break that hex at Appleton and go in there with a vengeance.
                              C O L G A T E
                              2023 ECAC CHAMPION
                              1990 NCAA FINALS
                              https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tiU0vQxIQE8

ECAC Pick the Standings Champion, 2008
                              ECAC Pick 'Em Champion, 2010 & 2015
                              ECAC Pick the Playoffs Champion, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by TchrBill View Post
                                Boy did we let this one slip away at Cheel. Every game needs to be a playoff game, beginning with game 1. I wasn't sold on Evin at all last year and I'm not sold on Evin this year. Four goals should have won us the game. That was an abyssmal 3rd period with no discipline. Penalties are a part of the game and we screwed ourselves whether we deserved them or not, so I won't make any excuses.

A point is a point, and it's on the road in the North Country, nonetheless. Time to break that hex at Appleton and go in there with a vengeance.
                                Not to be rude, Bill, but I've noticed you only surface when we lose or get a bad result. Evin has been playing well. Listening to McGraw, it seems like he played well and has been playing better than last year. Take the first period for example. Any goalie could have folded after letting in a goal 18 seconds in on the first shot. What does he do instead? Goes on to stop 16 straight which enables us to take a 2-1 lead. I do agree however, that its time to beat St lawrence again.
                                Hockeyenthusiast

Colgate Class of '03

Comment

Working...
                                X