This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by 'Gate Radio View Post
    As for who plays, who does not and how many minutes they play, that's up to the coaches. You all can argue amongst yourselves who you think should and shouldn't play. Just remember that Coach Vaughan has been at this a long time and the line-up that is on the ice is the one that he thinks is suited best for that particular night. The guys in the line-up are the ones that give Colgate the best chance to win. I'll leave it at that.
    So you agree with leaving a roster slot open like in the Princeton game when there were three healthy forwards not dressed- Nasca Long Mayer, and an open forward slot on line 4? Kind of like leaving money on the table. Why wouldn't you want to use the slot just in case you needed the 4th line to play? Most teams play all 4 lines. DV usually takes 8 - 10 minutes before he gets them in the game. Frankly I don't see a ton of difference between 1 through 4. A bit but not a lot. Early in the season it was line 3 and 4 that were scoring and I believe 4th line had the best plus minus rating. Use everybody at this point. What could it do- hurt our record?
    Last edited by HockeyEh; 01-25-2011, 09:32 AM.

Comment

• Re: Colgate 2010-11

Originally posted by 'Gate Radio View Post
      Long was DQ'd from the Friday game because of the checking from behind major that he received after a hit on Kirill Gotovets in the first period. He received an automatic one-game suspension because of the game disqualification. Long is eligible to return for the Harvard game this coming Friday.

As for who plays, who does not and how many minutes they play, that's up to the coaches. You all can argue amongst yourselves who you think should and shouldn't play. Just remember that Coach Vaughan has been at this a long time and the line-up that is on the ice is the one that he thinks is suited best for that particular night. The guys in the line-up are the ones that give Colgate the best chance to win. I'll leave it at that.
      Here, here for GR. It's lucky we have one or two rational posters on this thread..
      COLGATE HOCKEY:"Is this the year?"

Comment

Frankly, I think HockeyEH makes a pretty good point and certainly qualifies as a "rational" post...I would also be so bold as to state that there are more than one or two "rational posters" on this thread...what frankly seems to be irrational is a 3-19-2 record, although apparently many think this performance is simply a blip on the radar screen...I sincerely wish it was, but, again, it's hardly "irrational" to think that it isn't...

Comment

Originally posted by ColSkate65 View Post
          Here, here for GR. It's lucky we have one or two rational posters on this thread..
          Originally posted by UHhky View Post
          Looks like it's been quite the winning forumla....ZINGGGG
          *****http://i.imgur.com/vxtHH.png******

Last edited by UHhky; 01-25-2011, 11:20 AM.

Comment

Top Ten Reasons This Disasterous Season Is Actually A Positive

10. Shabby ready to abandon his own thread
            9. GreenCoat finally speaking his mind
            8. Won't experience painful end of season let down - we got it over early
            7. Didn't need to buy new snow tires to make the trip down to Hamilton for every home game
            6. Now have more time on weekends
            5. Fear that things will go bad is miraculously gone (reality has set in)
            4. No more guilty feelings for being so critical of the way the program was run over the last 3 years
            3. No way to go but up (hopefully)
            2. Now even easy to get tickets to home game against Cornell

And the #1 reason that this disasterous season is actually a positive...

1. Maybe coaches and the AD will be held accountable (Hope & Change?)
            Last edited by HockeyEh; 01-25-2011, 05:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyEh View Post
              Top Ten Reasons This Disasterous Season Is Actually A Positive

10. Shabby ready to abandon his own thread
              9. GreenCoat finally speaking his mind
              8. Won't experience painful end of season let down - we got it over early
              7. Didn't need to buy new snow tires to make the trip down to Hamilton for every home game
              6. Now have more time on weekends
              5. Fear that things will go bad is miraculously gone (reality has set in)
              4. No more guilty feelings for being so critical of the way the program was run over the last 3 years
              3. No way to go but up (hopefully)
              2. Now even easy to get tickets to home game against Cornell

And the #1 reason that this disasterous season is actually a positive...

1. Maybe coaches and the AD will be held accountable (Hope & Change?)
              it's sad when it comes to this.....
              Last edited by ColSkate65; 01-25-2011, 05:14 PM. Reason: grammar
              COLGATE HOCKEY:"Is this the year?"

Comment

HockeyEH...best post I've read in five years...only a 'Gate grad could come up with this...rock on...it is sad when it "comes to this"...however, let's analyze who is responsible for "coming to this"...it's not those who have been CORRECT in their overall analysis of the problems inherent in this program...I want HockeyEH on "Letterman" ASAP...having had a few cocktails this evening I'm going to the phones to raise additional stink...lock and load...

Comment

Originally posted by 'Gate Radio View Post
                  From what I've read, the Spink twins, Tyson and Tylor, aren't headed to Colgate until 2012 as part of the class that will replace the current juniors. They still have one more year left in junior hockey with Cornwall of the CJHL. In a few articles, the brothers mentioned that they got a lot of advice and guidance from current Ottawa Senator Jesse Winchester. Jesse played in the CJHL and grew up in northeastern Ontario much like the Spink twins.

In my personal opinion, a new rink isn't going to happen anytime soon. I think it was certainly in the works before the economy tanked and there were drawing plans for it but it's hard to justify it now with the economy the way it is. Basically, one would need a private donor or multiple donors to step up and foot what would be a massive bill - see Penn State's Pegula Ice Arena. If anything is built, it would more than likely be a set-up like Reid currently is with both a new ice hockey rink and a gymnasium for the basketball team.

In regards to the comparision with Union, you have to look at a couple different reasons why things are different. One, Union is in a decent sized metropolitan area in Schenectady and isn't very far at all from Albany. There are things to do, malls/shops/fancy restaurants nearby that the kids like and it's much different location-wise than Hamilton. There is also respectable media coverage of the hockey program from Ken Schott at the Daily Gazette - there's no local daily fish wrap in Hamilton. Two, the ice hockey program at Union is the big ticket sport. The rest of the athletics program at Union, aside from women's hockey, is Division III. While Union did have a beautiful new Athletic Center built a few years ago, I would gather that the administration has put a lot of monetary support behind Nate and the hockey program. I'm sure the same goes at Clarkson, SLU and RPI as well as at CC out in the WCHA just because hockey is the only D-I sport at the schools. At Colgate, every sport is Division I and while the hockey program is taken care of, each sport is fighting for every dollar it can get.

Hockey is a game constantly of cycles, both on and off the ice. Programs go through good times and they go through bad times. The better programs are the ones that can keep the bad times away the longest but no program is perfect and everyone goes through a down cycle. Currently, some of the teams on top of college hockey now are ones that have traditionally been not very good. At some point in the future, they may return to where they were or their stretch will continue to hold out. Who knows in 10 years how Yale or Princeton or even Union will be? Things change, players graduate and other trends and teams emerge.
                  I had forgotten about the key role Winchester may have had in the Spink twins' decision to attend Colgate. Our graduates, even more than coaches, I would argue, are our best resources.

I get the argument that a full arena may be more appealing to recruits than a new arena, but first impressions are important whether we think so or not. Doesn't mean we have to build something shiny and tacky without character. It could also serve as an affimation toward the commitment to the hockey program and athletics in general at Colgate.

Colgate and Union are have similar advantages and similar limitations. Until recently, I'd say Colgate had the upper hand. Schenectady continues to go through a revitalization and for a school its size, draws fair crowds, especially from the locals (always surprised at the number of senior citizens I see there ringing those cow bells). Access to Albany is a definite plus and its 3-4 program with Albany Med or its engineering program are unique. I think you make a valid point about their hockey program being their only DI sport. I'd agree the same is definitely true at SLU, Clarkson and RPI.

Not too often the same team repeats as ECAC reg. season champ or tourney champ. The league, with 12 teams, is more competitive than people give it credit despite our lack of success in post season tournament play. Our current record will hopefully serve as an excellent learning experience and instead of hype that it's our turn at the bottom. Someone has to finish there but our record speaks for itself, close losses or otherwise.

Go 'Gate!
                  Beat the Crimson!
                  C O L G A T E
                  2023 ECAC CHAMPION
                  1990 NCAA FINALS
                  https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tiU0vQxIQE8

ECAC Pick the Standings Champion, 2008
                  ECAC Pick 'Em Champion, 2010 & 2015
                  ECAC Pick the Playoffs Champion, 2016

Comment

Newly minted (this season) Gate rooter and a big hockey fan
                    I have an idea to help us win.
                    The position we are deepest at is goalie. We have three good ones. Why not rotate them each game. That keeps them fresh and one of them will eventually win a game by himself. Or better yet, play each of them one period in each game. That's weird but it's out of the box thinking, which is what Colgate tries to teach. If I had wanted to think inside the box I would have gone to Union or even worse to Princeton (Princeton rejected me).
                    I agree with HockeyEh that all views positive and negative should be welcome on a board like this. That's also the Colgate way--freedom of expression. If you think criticism of authority is a bad thing it's time to brush up on your history and recall that when authority can't be criticized bad things happen. I played youth and hs hockey and coaches were often wrong but never admitted it.

Comment

stat of the day...in ECAC games this year we are 5-68 on the PP (7.4%)...would be curious to see if present trends continue would this be the lowest PP percentage in the modern-day history of the ECAC...

Comment

RPI was something like 8% on the power play a couple years ago, and had fewer PPGF than SHGA for the season. If you guys top that, I'd be impressed.

Comment

Originally posted by StayPuftMMcu View Post
                          RPI was something like 8% on the power play a couple years ago, and had fewer PPGF than SHGA for the season. If you guys top that, I'd be impressed.
                          Hey, 07-08 we had one more PPGF than SHGA! But yea, 7.1% overall (7.6% conf) in 07-08. http://www.collegehockeystats.net/07...llstats/ecachm

Also, you're (Colgate's) getting the Spink twins in a couple years. Every team has to go through a tunnel.
                          Last edited by FlagDUDE08; 01-26-2011, 11:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                            Hey, 07-08 we had one more PPGF than SHGA! But yea, 7.1% overall (7.6% conf) in 07-08. http://www.collegehockeystats.net/07...llstats/ecachm
                            If you go through that season game by game, we don't get to the point where there are more PPGs scored than SHGs allowed until late January or mid February. Yea, that was a great season to become indoctrinated as an RPI fan.
                            Go Red!!

National Champions: 1954, 1985, 201x

Houston Field House, Cheel Arena, Agganis Arena, Magness Arena, Ritter Arena, Messa Rink, Matthews Arena, Von Braun Center, Lynah Rink, Starr Rink, Appleton Arena, Dwyer Arena, Buffalo State Ice Arena, Kelley Rink (also Verizon Center (DC), Herb Brooks Arena, Fenway Park (Frozen Fenway I), Times Union Center, DCU Center, Blue Cross Arena)

Comment

Just one question.

Did "RaiderJoe2014" get written approval from shabby before joining this thread?

Video of the 'low lights' from Saturday at Cornell.

http://www.ecachockey.com/men/video/...te-desktop.flv
                              The season opens in NEBRASKA!

Comment

Guaranteed and notarized !
                                It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

Working...
                                X