This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Colgate 2010-11

Jesus...When u'r 6-4 200 plus hit somebodyyyy !!!!!!!!
    It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

Team plays the way the coaches have coached them.

Comment

A losing performance from a (clearly now) losing program. In my 40 years of watching DI college hockey that maybe the worst PP I have ever seen. Face-offs lost, one-on-one battles lost, rebounds given up, turnover after turnover...it's too bad Austin Smith can't play on a better team; he is clearly the most talented (and most passionate) player on this team. At Cornell you EARN your right to play minutes; at Colgate you are GRANTED minutes. And if anybody thinks that bringing in a rather average freshman class next year is going to help, I've got some Florida swampland for sale. Again, with a few exceptions can anybody really say that they notice an real improvement in the play of this roster from last year. Nobody crashes the net, shots are generally from ridiculous angles because we are incapable of creating space (a sign of a low talent level). The difference between this rather average Cornell team and Colgate in gaining the offensive zone and maintaining pressure is night-and-day. Again I WISH I could be optimistic, but my strong hunch is we'll continue down the road of least resistance - half-***ed recruiting, etc. - and continue our various losing streaks (now 13 and counting against Cornell).

Comment

The physicality issue may have been answered by some chippy play in the 2nd period after Day was hammered. Seems that all the shirt-pulling may have taken some of the energy out of 'Gate however. Again we can't seem to close the deal in the third period and sounded gassed. It was good to see us give those hated rivals some hits; maybe down the road we can continue to throw the body and get a couple wins. One point on the weekend is not great, but, hey, who knew we'd come away with any points at all vs. the Big Red?
          COLGATE HOCKEY:"Is this the year?"

Comment

ColSkate65...Cornell is a .500 hockey team this year...we haven't beaten them in the last 13 games...we had 2 SOG in the third period and have three full (four overall) power plays...I'm glad you remain optimistic my friend...I guess I live in a different world...BTW, congrats to the hoops team for two wins this week (although they were crushed by Bucknell today)...the "break-out" week by the basketball team increases our winter sports record to 6-35-2...what is it going to take to get some of you in this site a little annoyed (or perhaps worried)...

Comment

OUCH

After a solid effort last night, we have a clunker of a performance tonight. Barring a playoff meeting, the trio of Brian Day, Francois Brisebois, and Wade Poplawski will be the 1st graduating class in a long time not to ever enjoy a victory over Cornell. OUCH. Plus, we've still got that "donut" in the league win column to deal with. Going 0-fer on the power-play in the last 4 consecutive games won't do it either.

I really want to throw in the towel here but am still holding out hope ... but for how much longer? Have we become the new Brown? (No disrespect to the Ocean State Ivy.) This isn't a team dealing with injuries like Princeton and Clarkson last year. It's probably a combination of the coaching and a lack of senior leadership (think: David McIntyre and Ethan Cox). Once that's solved, we'll start winning games.
              Colgate '09

Comment

Boy, some of you out there are really in a state of denial...the problem starts with both an overall lack of talent and an overall lack of depth of talent, then proceeds on to a structural problem in how our program is run. Next Year? Oh, we'll bring in 5 frosh of middling overall talent so none of those currently contributing to this wonderful season will lose any of their ice time...sound harsh, but it's true...again, most of the kids are trying; we're just NOT very good...

Comment

Agree GreenCoat...my faith in the team expired a long time ago. The yo-yo/see-saw/roller coaster of goaltenders had me worried from the start. I have been waiting impatiently for the playoffs because they are the only games that matter this season so berating the team is pointless. I think we play some of our worst hockey against Cornell. Senseless penalties, misconducts, game DQs...being a rival doesn't excuse poor judgment and hot-headedness, though we play them like it does every time and the result is always the same.

Never thought I would see the day when tix would still be available at the door for the Cornell game in Hamilton. More than 75 years of hockey at Colgate but feeling very little pride in our storied program.

Go 'Gate
                  Beat the Crimson
                  C O L G A T E
                  2023 ECAC CHAMPION
                  1990 NCAA FINALS
                  https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tiU0vQxIQE8

ECAC Pick the Standings Champion, 2008
                  ECAC Pick 'Em Champion, 2010 & 2015
                  ECAC Pick the Playoffs Champion, 2016

Comment

Just speaking on next year's recruiting class and the recruiting in general since I've been following the recruiting a lot more this year.

Next year's class is three players - John Lidgett, Joey Wilson and Brendan Corcoran. From what I've seen and read, Wilson and Lidgett are the real deal. Wilson's having a good season as a rookie in the OJHL and is averaging right around a point-per-game for a traditionally strong Kingston program. Wilson's numbers were much better in the EJHL but the level of play in Ontario overall is better. Remember last year, Joey also had a brief cameo of three games with USA U-18 when they played Colgate, Cornell and Utica in a single October weekend.

Lidgett will be on the younger side for college hockey at I believe 17 or 18 when the season starts. I'd look his age up but it's late and I'm lazy. Like Wilson, Lidgett is also averaging about a point per game and he's playing for a solid Camrose team in the Alberta Jr. League. At least in recent memory, Colgate has not had a player from the AJHL. Lidgett had a strong year last year for a bad Calgary Royals team and was dealt from that side to Camrose earlier this year. He's getting better as he gets older and from what I've been told, he's had WCHA teams interested in him this year. But, Lidgett committed prior to the start of this season so tough luck for the WCHA teams.

And then the third player in the class is Corcoran. I don't really know what to make of Brendan since it's hard to gauge a defenseman based on his numbers. He's still among the top 20 scorers among defensemen in the EJHL with Bay State. I do know that he'll be a 20 or 21-year-old freshman so that will be a boon to have an older guy on the blue line to replace Poplawski.

Given all of the constraints that Colgate has recruiting wise, I'd say this is a heck of a class. And down the road, the Spink twins are terrorizing the CJHL on a loaded Cornwall team that is ranked second among all Junior A teams in Canada. Tyson and Tylor have combined for 156 points through 41 games. And they've got one more year of junior left after this. Cornwall also just traded for Cumberland's Michael Borkowski who was the Grads' captain. Borkowski's out with an injury though but he was among Cumberland's leading scorers. Ryan Johnston for Nepean is also among the leading scorers for defensemen in the CJHL and I have read a lot of good things about him.

That class in two years isn't complete but it looks exceptional on paper with the Spink twins leading the way. Hopefully Colgate can hang on to them.

Tonight was a bad loss, pure and simple and overall it has been a down year. In general, it has been a down year for the athletics program. The only consistant winners this year overall have been men's soccer and volleyball and then of course Elise DeRoo dominated in XC. Does this mean the hockey program is going to hell in a handbasket? Nah, just a bad year. Everyone has them. Heck, Clarkson had two horrific years after that tremendous senior class left before they finally started to turn the corner this year.

Alright, rant over.
                    Last edited by 'Gate Radio; 01-23-2011, 12:35 AM. Reason: spelling, grammar

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreenCoat View Post
                      Boy, some of you out there are really in a state of denial...the problem starts with both an overall lack of talent and an overall lack of depth of talent, then proceeds on to a structural problem in how our program is run. Next Year? Oh, we'll bring in 5 frosh of middling overall talent so none of those currently contributing to this wonderful season will lose any of their ice time...sound harsh, but it's true...again, most of the kids are trying; we're just NOT very good...
                      TGC...I think the problem of talent/depth would actually be a problem attributable to the strutural problems we have, not the other way around. It's sad to see Colgate Hockey in such a state that we've been in complete denial for so long about the larger problems with the program and have become complacent with mediocrity.

Like really, after all this time, there's NOTHING we can do to make the program better? If you were running any respectable corporation this type of performance would be grounds for getting rid of the management. After 2 quarters of this Sh*Tt, not multiple years.

This is a sad time indeed for this program.

Comment

Let me explain why I believe coaching and the planning has an awful lot to do with the way last nights game went.

After a physical game on Friday night at Starr, where Long was DQ'd early, and the top guys played more than usual. Gate decided to dress only 11 FORWARDS and 7 D for last nights game, electing to sit Mayer and Nasca the extra forwards eligible. Of those 7 D I believe Sinz had 2-3 shifts tops on the night. Day is handed 12 minutes in penalties 1/2 way through the game. Now you have 10 forwards playing in a 12 minute stretch of a physical game, the 2nd in 2 nights and this one on the road. We go into the 3rd tied 2-2 after battling back in the 2nd. The reason Gate fell apart in the 3rd is that the over used players and the short bench were beat up and gassed. Its that simple. It is time for a change and some accountability at the top.

Dressing a full compliment of forwards would have been the right thing to do in a game like that, following Friday night's game. Especially when you dress a 7th Dman you only plan on playing only in emergencies. Finally, it must be so simple to game plan against this team as an opposing coach. Look at the lack of change in the Gate system. Gate does the same thing every single night. We have nothing to lose, let's loosen up the strings and at least let the seniors have some fun on their way out. Let them play hockey.
                        Last edited by Gaterrooter; 01-23-2011, 07:14 AM.
                        The season opens in NEBRASKA!

Comment

Very much appreciate the last three posts, especially from Gate Radio...the basic problem is that, again, we're bringing in 3 or 4 kids to simply replace 3 graduating seniors. We need an infusion of much more new blood and if expanding the roster is necessary to do this, DO IT. We have both structural problems and talent issues (let's face it, there are 6 or 7 kids on the current roster, most of whom have grant-in-aid packages, that are simply not DI players). We are forced to overuse our limited offensive players (especially Day and Smith) so that we are continually gassed after two periods. Other ECAC programs continue to improve as witnessed by an improving non-ECAC performance (Union beat Minn at Mariucci, Q-Pac takes down UN-Omana twice, Dart beats UNH)...please tell me the last time Colgate beat a quality non-league opponent. This problem started to manifest itself many years ago (2007) and some of us saw it coming. Limited depth of talent with good goaltending kept us mediocre for a few years...reality has now set in...I'm trying to make a stink at higher levels because I simply can't accept what is now the status quo...

Comment

I'm not buying all your selling Green Coat. Sorry. The talent level on this team is strong enough to Win. Like many have posted, they are not getting beat up game in and game out. They are definatley looking for both chemistry and consistency, and have a lot of underclassmen in the line-up. I anticipate that things will improve down the stretch, and as G.R. reports, the recruits for the next 2 years look very positive.

Colgate doesn't have financial aid, so your info isnt totally accurate. Yes, this team should have done better to date, but "ITS JUST A FREAKING GAME."
                            While it is disapointing, OH WELL ! How are the kids doing in the class-room ? Is the Dressing room developing a stronger sense of togetherness ?
                            What are the players learning through this challenging time ?

As Carey Price told the Montreal Fans in the Pre-season, " Chill Out "

Start asking yourself, " What can I do to support the Program through good and challenging times ? Life isn't going to be a winning lesson all the time !

Comment

GR what are your thoughts on the line up last night and how it affected the 3rd period? Tell me why Mayer is not dressing?
                              The season opens in NEBRASKA!

Comment

Gotta agree with doghok. There are a lot of "gloomy guses" on this thread. Man up guys! Everything in life is cyclical....even the Yankees have had seasons at the bottom of the AL. Remember the seasons Brown had recently? Give the program time to turn things around...it's bound to happen. Colgate Hockey is too big a tradition to let losing become a habit. It won't be long and you will see a reversal of fortune on the ice. You have to be in denial to think these players do not have talent or are not worthy of wearing the Raider uniform.
                                COLGATE HOCKEY:"Is this the year?"

Comment

Working...
                                X