X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Colgate 2010-11

Originally posted by mwade View Post
    So Rainman - can you explain how McCann's goal counted?
    Goaltender interference, but after the puck crossed the goal line. It was a "freak accident". I saw the ref signal for a goal and almost immediately McCann collided with the goaltender. I don't think it could have been avoided.
    Colgate '09

Comment

Nice recap and 36 picture slideshow on the USCHO website, by Melissa Wade. I assume she is the below poster questioning our "interference" goal and question to Rainman. Nice photos Melissa!...

Good that we outshot Army something like 46-23. Now we need to get that PP going; please... not a repeat of the last few years...
      COLGATE HOCKEY:"Is this the year?"

Comment

Wow, great opening night on the Cape. Lots of alums in the building after a beautiful day on the golf course, man the weather could not have been better. Nice to see AD Roach there as well. Sell out crowd in a nice facility and really a pretty good hockey game considering neither team had scrimmaged yet.

Some bad: The PP looked rusty, but what were we to expect at this point in the season? Some chances were generated however but no finishes. Price's injury looked really bad when it happened and I was thinking, here we go already. But he came back to play and play pretty well. Didn't really care for Army playing the prevent setting up 5 guys in the neutral zone as we set up for the breakout.

Some Good: The PK looked pretty good, but that also good have been a result of Army's PP looking pretty bad. We generated some good scoring chances on the Pk. Evin I thought looked really really sound. The only goal Army scored was on the PP but it was probably the biggest fluke bounce I've ever seen. Army player takes a slap shot from the slot that goes over the net hits the glass and bounces like a super ball, directly off of Evin's back and drops in the net. I've never seen a bounce like that off of glass anywhere.

Some really good: Team speed was very good. The Defense looked solid and even without Wade playing. We had 45 shots on net, the offense will be very good this year (40 of those shots game in the 2nd and 3rd period). The 4th line played very well including frosh, Mike McCann who scored the game winner on a nice play by a hustling Bill Rivellini. Day was very good and will be a great Captain for this team. He works so hard at both ends of the ice and is a tremendous role model for the University. Smith led the team in shots with 6 and could have had a couple of goals on the PP if a few bounces had gone his way. Vaughn was right, Wagner played like he had been there before. Was on the PK with Day and PP also picked up his 1st pt. He is fast, strong and positionally good.

As far as the change to the game goes I really like the hybrid icing. It is going to change the College game. Army tried a couple of times to send someone behind the Colgate D and tried to make the home run pass. Even though it didn't connect there was no icing because the Army player got to the Dots first. As a matter of fact, Colgate's 1st goal would have been called icing last year. Brisebois got behind the Army D at the far blue line, Wagner just missed hitting him with a breakaway pass. Brisebois got to the dots and the puck 1st behind the Army net and centered it to Day for the goal. Last year it would have been an automatic icing and blown dead. So this rule has already affected our year. I can see a lot of college teams working this into their offense.

Nice to start the year off on a winning note. Looking forward to a great year. Now considering a weekend trip to Lake Superior.
        The season opens in NEBRASKA!

Comment

Thanks Gater...was wondering how Wags looked . OOC....What goalies dressed ??
          It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

Originally posted by sshablak View Post
            What goalies dressed ??
            Evin, Bessette, and Mihalik (wearing #29 ... an unusual number for a goalie)

I would like to know how exactly the icing rules have changed this year. Early on in the game, it looked like it was going to be the "touch icing" style that the NHL now uses where a defender must touch it in his own defensive zone to have the play blown dead. But late in the game when we were trying to get the puck in the empty net, the refs were automatically blowing the whistle once the puck crossed the end line without an Army guy touching up. I'm guessing the refs are going to wash out icing if it "appears" that an offensive player will get to the puck first on a potential icing play? We'll just have to wait and see, I guess.
            Colgate '09

Comment

Originally posted by Rainman View Post
              Evin, Bessette, and Mihalik (wearing #29 ... an unusual number for a goalie)

I would like to know how exactly the icing rules have changed this year. Early on in the game, it looked like it was going to be the "touch icing" style that the NHL now uses where a defender must touch it in his own defensive zone to have the play blown dead. But late in the game when we were trying to get the puck in the empty net, the refs were automatically blowing the whistle once the puck crossed the end line without an Army guy touching up. I'm guessing the refs are going to wash out icing if it "appears" that an offensive player will get to the puck first on a potential icing play? We'll just have to wait and see, I guess.
              Correct. Whoever the official believes will get to the face-off dots first, that is the team that gets the call. This worked for the most part in my opinion but there were a couple of times when it appeared the officials were a little too late in blowing the whistle or were a little hesitant. In the case of an end-game situation where one team is shooting at an empty net or just trying to clear the zone, you'll see the automatic whistle just because the team with the extra attacker will probably be the closest to its' own zone.

I don't think we'll see that from Colgate a lot this season simply because that is not something Coach Vaughan is a fan of - shooting for an empty net from your own end. If I remember correctly, right after the icing play in the third, Colgate called timeout. Obviously this is for a bit of a breather though I would suspect there was a message of not shooting the puck from your own zone or at least behind the red line.

Comment

My guess, is Coach called the Time out (smart move) at the end of that icing call, more to confuse the Ref's. He was able to switch & sneak in, a couple of players on the ice, for that face-off , that he could not do, if they went straight into to the face-off.

Comment

Coach V called the timeout because the 5 guys who were on the ice were gassed and had just iced the puck. When the puck is iced, the team that ices the puck can not make any changes. He called the timeout to rest the guys on the ice so they would be fresh for the faceoff, not to trick the refs. All 5 guys stayed out there and finished the game.

Comment

I understand what your saying. Yes rest the players.
                    But not all of the 5 skaters were the same, once the puck droped.

Comment

Surprised this hasn't been mentioned yet:

http://predators.nhl.com/club/news.h...id=DL|NSH|home
                      Colgate '09

Comment

Originally posted by Rainman View Post
                        Surprised this hasn't been mentioned yet:

http://predators.nhl.com/club/news.h...id=DL|NSH|home
                        Go Dex!

Comment

Love the new look of the board.

Comment

Don't like the new look of the board....
                            COLGATE HOCKEY:"Is this the year?"

Comment

It's going to take some time to get used to this new layout...
                              Colgate '09

Comment

Agree... why do administrators have to change something that is familiar and already good.

Comment

Working...
                                X