This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Colgate 2010-11

Sounds like we gave BC all they could handle. Wish we could have improved our record against them to 20-3

Go 'Gate!
    Beat...Somebody.
    C O L G A T E
    2023 ECAC CHAMPION
    1990 NCAA FINALS
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tiU0vQxIQE8

ECAC Pick the Standings Champion, 2008
    ECAC Pick 'Em Champion, 2010 & 2015
    ECAC Pick the Playoffs Champion, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by ColSkate65 View Post
      Good luck, Rainman. Please give us a full report when you get back. Hopefully the Raiders can give a good showing (and maybe even a win......or tie?)
      I'll say it was a good showing, even though the outcome was another loss.

The team got off to a bit of a slow start, and when BC scored to make it 1-0 about 1:30 into the game, I thought this was going to be a long day at the rink. But it wasn't. Eventually we solved John Muse to tie the game, then about 20 seconds later took the lead. Then a few minutes later we take a 3-1 lead with Jack McNamara scoring his 1st career goal! It should be noted that the McNamara brothers had family in the stands not too far from where I was sitting. When Jack scored I heard a loud roar from that part of the stands. They seemed to know it was him that lit the lamp.

Then the dreaded 2nd period ... before it started I wasn't confident that we would be holding onto that lead very long. We had a 5x3 for 40 seconds on a "fresh" sheet of ice and couldn't capitalize. Then BC scored on a bad turnover in our own zone. Then a few minutes later it was a tie game. At least Don Vaughan called a timeout -- it helped in the sense that we got our act together. Fortunately we scored late in the 2nd to take the lead, only to take a penalty and allow the Eagles to tie it. By the way, we did a great job staying out of the box -- unfortunately we still allowed 1 PPG.

The third period ... did Francois Brisebois get a 10-min. misconduct? I saw him sitting in the sin bin for quite some time. It didn't help that BC would score twice to take a 6-4 lead. When Corbin McPherson scored to make it 6-5 I thought we had a chance, but then looked at the scoreboard and noticed only 8 seconds left on the game clock. And that's how the game ended.

I'm disappointed that we're now 3-13-1 (I really hope we stay at that lucky number of losses for a long time), but at least we came out to play against the defending national champs. IF, yes IF, we can continue this intensity in EVERY subsequent game, we should be fine. In the past several games I can't help but think we've been playing to the level of our opposition. That's not acceptable. Keep playing like we did against BC and Yale. Here's hoping we can do that tomorrow and snag a victory. (Though I'm not sold on it, given our recent success in holiday tournaments.)
      Colgate '09

Comment

Colgate vs. Dartmouth tomorrow in the consolation game at 4:00 p.m. Defense, much like pants, was optional in the Dartmouth-Mercyhurst game much like it was in the opener. Dartmouth tied Mercyhurst 4-4 and then the Lakers won the shootout. So, the final non-conference game will be against a conference opponent, one of two non-league games against league teams this season.
        Last edited by 'Gate Radio; 12-30-2010, 09:17 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

I give Colgate a ton of credit for giving BC such a fight, but keep in mind that BC's defense was a complete mess with it's top 2 guys playing in the WJC's, another starter out with an injury and another guy playing his first game back (maybe even rushed back prematurely) after a long absence due to multiple knee injuries. Even with a forward playing D, we still only had 5 guys dressed. We also have a top forward over at the WJC's. Again, no disrespect, I think your team played a great game and are probably much better than their record would indicate, but you really didn't face BC anywhere near full strength.
          Last edited by carltonbarrett; 12-30-2010, 10:05 PM.

Comment

Even though I don't like the fact that we're playing a non-conference game against an in-conference opponent, I think we're better off playing Dartmouth today than Mercyhurst. Now can the team play like they did yesterday (on offense, specifically)? Please? I'm starting to think defense may be the problem. We can score, but get scored on. There have been 5 games this season where we've scored at least 4 (yes, four) goals and we're 1-3-1. Granted 2 of those losses are to Yale and BC, but can we be more responsible on the defensive end? We've also hit the 3-goal mark in 10 games but we're 3-6-1 in those games.

It just goes to show that everyone needs to be more responsible defensively while maintaining the same level of play on offense. IF we can do that, we should be able to put together a winning streak. Hopefully it starts today.
            Colgate '09

Comment

Originally posted by carltonbarrett View Post
              I give Colgate a ton of credit for giving BC such a fight, but keep in mind that BC's defense was a complete mess with it's top 2 guys playing in the WJC's, another starter out with an injury and another guy playing his first game back (maybe even rushed back prematurely) after a long absence due to multiple knee injuries. Even with a forward playing D, we still only had 5 guys dressed. We also have a top forward over at the WJC's. Again, no disrespect, I think your team played a great game and are probably much better than their record would indicate, but you really didn't face BC anywhere near full strength.
              I respect the post, but doesn't BC have 5 losses on the year? What excuses do you have for those games? Had BC lost, it would have been humiliating. The better team won. I don't have much respect for a team that gives up a shorty!
              C O L G A T E
              2023 ECAC CHAMPION
              1990 NCAA FINALS
              https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tiU0vQxIQE8

ECAC Pick the Standings Champion, 2008
              ECAC Pick 'Em Champion, 2010 & 2015
              ECAC Pick the Playoffs Champion, 2016

Comment

I was merely saying that Colgate fans should take their strong offensive showing with a slight grain of salt , as everybody knew that BC was going to give up some goals due to their defense being depleted because of the WJC's and injury. No excuses for BC's 5 losses, they got beat by better teams those nights.
                Last edited by carltonbarrett; 12-31-2010, 09:01 AM.

Comment

a quick comment on "posts": perhaps one should emphasize quality, not quantity...I was really hoping we could sneak up on BC in light of our poor record and BC's weakened roster due to the WJCs. This team is definitely snake-bitten and, although I continue to maintain that the talent level is not what others may think, a couple of wins NOW could certainly provide a little momentum going into the second half. I believe the effort is definitely there. And, BTW, I DID double my Silver Puck contribution this year and will be making an effort to encourage others to do so. I don't mine a little sniping back and forth because in the end we all bleed maroon...

Comment

Originally posted by TchrBill View Post
                    I respect the post, but doesn't BC have 5 losses on the year? What excuses do you have for those games? Had BC lost, it would have been humiliating. The better team won. I don't have much respect for a team that gives up a shorty!
                    Yes, it was a shorty, but a deceiving one, given that once the power play started, the BC player was already on our end, so it's not like the one we received against Brown, for example.
                    Hockeyenthusiast

Colgate Class of '03

-I saw Andy McDonald play at Starr Rink.

Comment

Originally posted by TchrBill View Post
                      Anyone who follows BC knows that these are the games they tend to play badly in and lose. They lost to SLU last year around this time of the year, etc. ps- 5 losses is bad? Not sure what you mean by that considering the schedule they've played so far (Denver x 2, Maine x 2, UNH, BU x 2, Notre Dame)

Comment

CONGRATULATIONS EAGLES!

Nice win under some challenging circumstances.
                        Good luck tonight against Mercyhurst...play with passion and purpose in attempting to bring the trophy home to Boston.

Comment

Having trouble finding ways to start posts now. I want to be careful not to paint this team with a broad brush because crazy as it is to say, they have some bright points. The way the year is going right now I hope this tournament was the cataclysmic end to the year and the 1st 1/2 of the season. Yesterday we had McPherson, Larkin, Evin and McNamara in the stands with the flu, we dressed 5D. Day and Poplawski were still battling it. Once again we found away to come back from a deficit only to lose the game again in OT. The night before we go up 3-1 on the Defending Champs after 1 period, then have 30 second mental break down in our own end and we let them back in again. The thing that is so hard about this stretch is every single game that has been lost has been winnable.

Now the million dollar question? What prevents a team from winning games they have a legitimate chance to win? How many losses are attributed to mental attitude? How many are attributed to coaching? How many are attributed to players? Leadership? How about the AD?

I know there is a piece of the blame pie for everyone but this is just freaky.

I will say this. You have a team with 13 losses yesterday that is playing shorthanded on the road against Dartmouth. If this was a BAD team they would have rolled over and died somewhere in the middle when they went down 3-2. But they continued to battle and came up with a late goal to tie it. The group as a whole does battle to the end. One other thing to say, nice job by Bessette for making so many saves in his 1st appearance of the season, great effort by that young man who was put in a tough position.
                          The season opens in NEBRASKA!

Comment

Happy New Year, everyone! Glad to have 2010 behind us........................bring it, 2011!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Gaterrooter View Post
                              Having trouble finding ways to start posts now. I want to be careful not to paint this team with a broad brush because crazy as it is to say, they have some bright points. The way the year is going right now I hope this tournament was the cataclysmic end to the year and the 1st 1/2 of the season. Yesterday we had McPherson, Larkin, Evin and McNamara in the stands with the flu, we dressed 5D. Day and Poplawski were still battling it. Once again we found away to come back from a deficit only to lose the game again in OT. The night before we go up 3-1 on the Defending Champs after 1 period, then have 30 second mental break down in our own end and we let them back in again. The thing that is so hard about this stretch is every single game that has been lost has been winnable.

Now the million dollar question? What prevents a team from winning games they have a legitimate chance to win? How many losses are attributed to mental attitude? How many are attributed to coaching? How many are attributed to players? Leadership? How about the AD?

I know there is a piece of the blame pie for everyone but this is just freaky.

I will say this. You have a team with 13 losses yesterday that is playing shorthanded on the road against Dartmouth. If this was a BAD team they would have rolled over and died somewhere in the middle when they went down 3-2. But they continued to battle and came up with a late goal to tie it. The group as a whole does battle to the end. One other thing to say, nice job by Bessette for making so many saves in his 1st appearance of the season, great effort by that young man who was put in a tough position.
                              Ditto Gaterrooter. Can't put a finger on just why the puck has bounced the way it has this season, however I think we would be in denial if we didn't accept the fact that all these lost efforts are not playing with the heads of the players/coaches. We don't have the luxury of taking a long break to cleanse our minds as Q-pac is coming down the pike. It would be nice if the players could have a bout of short-term amnesia and forget about 2010. Come out fresh in 2011 and continue the good efforts. It's gotta pay off! As you say, most all of these games were winnable, we've been snake-bit, but the luck has to change.
                              COLGATE HOCKEY:"Is this the year?"

Comment

Originally posted by Slasher7 View Post
                                Anyone who follows BC knows that these are the games they tend to play badly in and lose. They lost to SLU last year around this time of the year, etc. ps- 5 losses is bad? Not sure what you mean by that considering the schedule they've played so far (Denver x 2, Maine x 2, UNH, BU x 2, Notre Dame)
                                2 losses to merrimack

Comment

Working...
                                X