Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2010 Kendall Hockey Classic Thread (UAA, UAF, UND, & AF)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2010 Kendall Hockey Classic Thread (UAA, UAF, UND, & AF)

I'll be watching on tv.
    The Alaska Airlines Governors cup is where it belongs.

Comment

Originally posted by Alaska Hockey View Post
      ...We get to sit with your favorite coach...
      If by chance bottled water happens to fly across the table can I assume it's the Chicken Tartar and not something I said?

Comment

I'll be there. Anybody heard about any deals with hotels this year?

Comment

Hilton Garden Inn has historically had a deal going. I remember something to that effect. $79/night I think. I'll have to look.
          Visit the Alaska Nanooks Hockey Blog at http://nanookhockey.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by AKJD View Post
            I'll be there. Anybody heard about any deals with hotels this year?
            a lot of _airbanks visitors coming to town on the cheap sleep outdoors by the creek south of the Sullivan. The ACLU made the city give you 10 day's notice to clear out so toss that Northern Lights Coupon book in the campfire and party down Garth, you got it made.
            Alaska Dispatch .... Doyle Woody
            UAF made the kind of hockey history on October 10th 2015 that no team wants to claim – the Nanooks became the first NCAA Division I victim of Arizona State.

Originally Posted by WeWantMore At least you guys have Packers colors.

I Must be Famous ....a School named their program after me

Comment

Originally posted by Alaska Hockey View Post
              I am not that rude to make you bus tables at the Luncheon as you will be my guest. We get to sit with your favorite coach and would not want to spoil the hour that you get to chat and listen like a little kid in December at Santa Clause House with his undivided attention.
              I'll be sitting there too!

So there's that.

Comment

Air Force looked good last night...especially the freshman.

We have a deeper team this year, but lost a lot of talent from last year...especially our goalie, Volkening. Freshman goalie (Torf) looked good last night!

Should be a fun and exciting season.

Comment

Originally posted by Bullitt View Post
                  Air Force looked good last night...especially the freshman.

We have a deeper team this year, but lost a lot of talent from last year...especially our goalie, Volkening. Freshman goalie (Torf) looked good last night!

Should be a fun and exciting season.
                  Goaltending and youth with definitely be the question marks for the Falcons this year. Torf looked decent, but wasn't tested a whole lot in his 15+ minutes. It was UL's 3rd game in 3 nights, so they looked tired out of the gate and late in the 3rd.

The 1st PP group looked fast while they were still getting regular minutes. Half-way through the 2nd, they were limited to just PP time and it showed when they were out there.

I thought Fabian and Weisgarber were really the only two players who stood out and I noticed on a regular basis. Fabian made some mistakes, but definitely had the hustle to recover and backcheck. Should be an interesting year.

Comment

I would think Air Force would have the crowd on their side when they play Fairbanks, with all the tickets being given out for Saturdays game with UAA they may have more fans than UAA because it's military appreciation night. Should be some good hockey with Air Force and #1 North Dakota coming to town. Last year some Denver fans were billing them the best college team ever, this year there seems to be the same sentiment about the North Dakota.

Comment

I have my doubts that any sort of throng of fans from the base will descend on the Sully. Perhaps it's just my experience from being in the AF but I would say the only members of the AF that could give a crap about AFA would be it's alumni.

In fact, when I was in there was a fair amount of resentment for AFA grads from their peers. And as for enlisted people ... well lets just say not many average enlisted folks generate positive feelings for officers who order them around like cattle.

I just don't see that an AF affiliation means anything for AFA in terms of sports support.

Comment

Originally posted by birdman View Post
                        I would think Air Force would have the crowd on their side when they play Fairbanks, with all the tickets being given out for Saturdays game with UAA they may have more fans than UAA because it's military appreciation night. Should be some good hockey with Air Force and #1 North Dakota coming to town. Last year some Denver fans were billing them the best college team ever, this year there seems to be the same sentiment about the North Dakota.
                        It should be noted that, with one glaring exception*, North Dakota fans are not saying anything close to what DU fans/bloggers were saying last season.

* - And that exception says the same things year after year regardless of realistic expectation.
                        North Dakota
                        National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
                          It should be noted that, with one glaring exception*, North Dakota fans are not saying anything close to what DU fans/bloggers were saying last season.
                          I'm going to start a blog about UND and post a checklist of everything that needs to be accomplished by the team.

http://letsgodu.blogspot.com/2010/03...checklist.html

I like chocolate milk and Kate Beckinsale and Lauren Graham and Brooke Burke and Elisha Cuthbert and Eva Longoria.

Fighting Sioux Hockey

Comment

When air force played in fairbanks last they had a bigger contingent than UAA brings for the governors cup

To throw out my feelings, I'm generally positive about the nooks, but both games will be challenges for different reasons. The nooks will need to adjust to the big ice during the first period against air force.

I think the nooks will continue to evolve their style of play in the same direction they did last year, and become more dependent on scoring than on tight defense. Certainly, the nooks will maintain their signature defensive competence, but I expect to see more risks to expand on scoring opportunities. This puts increased pressure on the D-men all around during the game. If this doesn't work out I expect to see dallas take the team back to basics with regard to defense.

Colton Beck has an incredible scoring touch, and I hope the team can compensate for the loss of Dion Knelsen's quarterbacking and playmaking.

I expect special teams this year to be outstanding.
                            The Alaska Airlines Governors cup is where it belongs.

Comment

Originally posted by birdman View Post
                              fans were billing them the best college team ever, this year there seems to be the same sentiment about the North Dakota.
                              You misspelled "Boston College"
                              Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
                              Originally posted by Quizmire
                              mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
                              MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
                              MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
                              I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirty View Post
                                the Sourdough Mining Co.
                                Oh man, not those commercials again...
                                'If a man wants to eat fried chicken, he's gotta get greasy.' - Kenny Rogers

Fighting Sioux Hockey: Highest NCAA Playoff Winning Percentage

There's no more pompous group of sports fans in the Twin Cities than hardcore followers of Gophers men's hockey. That makes it quite entertaining to see them in full pout after an unexpected elimination from the NCAA tournament. - Reusse

Comment

Working...
                                X