PDA

View Full Version : Ncha 2010-2011

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10

Toe Blake's Brother
02-22-2011, 08:21 PM
Sad but so true..........we may wear similar colors to the Packers, but it doesn't get us any media attention.........

Ask and you shall receive. It looks like Channel 2 may have something on tonight. I cannot believe that they even know how to drive past Lambeau without directions.

GB Puck Fan
02-22-2011, 09:50 PM
The Gamblers are also home and, with any luck, SNC will have two home conference championship basketball games at Schuldes on Saturday - so that may hurt on the student side.

SNC could buy ads, send out an email to alums (especially those in the area), post a promo on a Facebook page (I don't think anything pushing to Saturday has been posted on the athletic page, alumni page or college magazine page). Something. Anything. God helps those who helps themselves, too...

MW4Bucky&SNC
02-22-2011, 10:01 PM
Fans of hockey and fans of college athletic will be spread a little thin on Saturday. It could hurt attendance.

XYZ
02-22-2011, 11:32 PM
Find it interesting the threads are rather quiet about the NCHA playoffs; sounds like the UWRF vs Stout was a great game!
Hope we manage to pack the Cornerstone Sat night!

Does it matter? Ever since the penguin and pooh graduated it's not like anyone in that place makes any noise. I'm not sure packing 5000 in there would be any different than dotting it with 400 :)

XYZ
02-23-2011, 12:58 AM
SNC could buy ads, send out an email to alums (especially those in the area), post a promo on a Facebook page (I don't think anything pushing to Saturday has been posted on the athletic page, alumni page or college magazine page). Something. Anything. God helps those who helps themselves, too...

I'm not so sure it's an issue of divine intervention, but rather one of realities. SNC is hands down the class of the region, that much is obvious. The 176-9 record in the past decade or whatever it is at the Cornerstone is evidence enough of that. That said, I've posted on here for the same decade that you cannot establish a culture overnight. Stout did it, and it took multiple years, and for that I give them all the credit in the world as far as their students go. It takes work. Especially in a town where you're overshadowed by a college with DI hoops, a USHL team and, oh yeah, the freaking Packers, someone is going to have to put in a ridiculous amount of effort to establish a rabid fan culture as it pertains to SNC Hockey -- no matter how disgustingly successful the program itself has been.

For the time being, if that's what you want it might be worthwhile to not worry about the college's advertising budget or who posts what on facebook. Start by doing your own to get your own fans to, you know, clap or cheer for a change.

GB Puck Fan
02-23-2011, 06:30 AM
I'm not so sure it's an issue of divine intervention, but rather one of realities. SNC is hands down the class of the region, that much is obvious. The 176-9 record in the past decade or whatever it is at the Cornerstone is evidence enough of that. That said, I've posted on here for the same decade that you cannot establish a culture overnight. Stout did it, and it took multiple years, and for that I give them all the credit in the world as far as their students go. It takes work. Especially in a town where you're overshadowed by a college with DI hoops, a USHL team and, oh yeah, the freaking Packers, someone is going to have to put in a ridiculous amount of effort to establish a rabid fan culture as it pertains to SNC Hockey -- no matter how disgustingly successful the program itself has been.

For the time being, if that's what you want it might be worthwhile to not worry about the college's advertising budget or who posts what on facebook. Start by doing your own to get your own fans to, you know, clap or cheer for a change.

While I realize the college is not going to buys ads, those simple free steps to let people know about a game isn't an unreasonable step.

And, no, the CCC isn't the rowdiest place to watch a game. That said, there is a very knowledgable and solid corps of support. Would the hockey fans like more people to come? Sure. Could it be louder? Sure. That's our 'problem' I guess, not yours. But while making observations about the other side...

That said, I'm not sure that an average home attendance of 504 at UW Stout - with a campus enrollment of 9,314 - is a tremendous show of hockey culture. SNC averages 1,034 this year with an enrollment of 2,113. Yes, SNC draws more from the surrounding community which is larger - and you may not like the environment, but SNC still leads the conference in attendance.

Based on the numbers, I like SNC's odds of getting 10% of the student body to a game moreso than Stout's, if we're talking about establishing a hockey culture. SNC's overall attendance is barely 10% of the UWStout enrollment - and there's no Gamblers, Packers or D1 hoops team there, as you point out, to offer other alternatives. (Though I'm not familiar with the nightlight scene in Dunn County... ;) )

But maybe SNC has a pretty good sports culture. The football team here averaged 1,999 fans last season, while Stout averaged 2,082... (source: http://www.d3football.com/notables/2011/02/sju-leads-2010-attendance)

snc1
02-23-2011, 09:28 AM
Does it matter? Ever since the penguin and pooh graduated it's not like anyone in that place makes any noise. I'm not sure packing 5000 in there would be any different than dotting it with 400 :)

I guess it would depend on the kind of fans you packed in. If it is like a number of fans that complain because the music is too loud, or like the slob next to me that has been reading a book the last two homestands, then yes it wont make a difference. Like it or not, you have to agree with Webb though that the Stone is like a funeral 99% of the time. The only time you see that place rockin is the Peter Cup final or an NCAA playoff game. Other than that no one says boo during a game. Is it lack of intrest or lack of knowledge?

pete99race
02-23-2011, 10:03 AM
I guess it would depend on the kind of fans you packed in. If it is like a number of fans that complain because the music is too loud, or like the slob next to me that has been reading a book the last two homestands, then yes it wont make a difference. Like it or not, you have to agree with Webb though that the Stone is like a funeral 99% of the time. The only time you see that place rockin is the Peter Cup final or an NCAA playoff game. Other than that no one says boo during a game. Is it lack of intrest or lack of knowledge?
Complacency, brought on by all the success since SNC moved into the CCC.

snc1
02-23-2011, 10:10 AM
Complacency, brought on by all the success since SNC moved into the CCC.

That has come to mind too, but if those people are only going to cheer during the playoffs I'd like to trade tickets with one of them that sits between the blue lines, and they can have mine in the end zone. :)

pete99race
02-23-2011, 10:18 AM
That has come to mind too, but if those people are only going to cheer during the playoffs I'd like to trade tickets with one of them that sits between the blue lines, and they can have mine in the end zone. :)
I heard that there are season tickets available in section G, where my seat is....top row.
Come on over this Sat nite and introduce yourself....
I will be standing between sections F & G with the SNC cap on....

snc1
02-23-2011, 10:42 AM
I heard that there are season tickets available in section G, where my seat is....top row.
Come on over this Sat nite and introduce yourself....
I will be standing between sections F & G with the SNC cap on....

You've seen me at some away games this year and in the past, but I never formally introduced myself. I will try to stop over. I know Mr. Popcorn from the state legion tournament and I know USoilJim, we met up on the street in LP and ended up going to ZigZags.

MW4Bucky&SNC
02-23-2011, 12:12 PM
You've seen me at some away games this year and in the past, but I never formally introduced myself. I will try to stop over. I know Mr. Popcorn from the state legion tournament and I know USoilJim, we met up on the street in LP and ended up going to ZigZags.
I'll be there as always right on the red line in the top row.

Toe Blake's Brother
02-23-2011, 12:16 PM
I'll be there as always right on the red line in the top row.

Count me in!....and by the way, I am not afraid to make noise! I do every game even though I may get bad looks from the morgue in front of me! Oh, and while I am at it; I think that the CCC has been better this year i.e. the student section in particular. I think the oldies are saving themselves for the playoffs.

snc1
02-23-2011, 12:33 PM
Count me in!....and by the way, I am not afraid to make noise! I do every game even though I may get bad looks from the morgue in front of me! Oh, and while I am at it; I think that the CCC has been better this year i.e. the student section in particular. I think the oldies are saving themselves for the playoffs.

I believe they are bussing in students now which is great. When that section is filled up it can get electric.

Mojo_Hockey
02-23-2011, 02:20 PM
The "noise factor" at the 'stone has been a source of thread discussion year in and year out for quite some time. I mentioned it a couple of times myself (name was different then) and many others have too. I think that the success of the program has helped create the lack of noise. The students are so use to winning that it has become expected and possibly uninteresting because the outcome is almost "pre-determined". Like a local sports talk show host said when he was interviewing Cogs not too long ago, "It's more of a story when you lose than when you win." The rink is usually a little bit louder during the play-offs.

I'll be perched up in the end zone opposite of the student section as per normal for me. There is a chance of me yelling myself hoarse with BJ's Mom like I did in LP last year.

Hope it's a good game with SNC coming out on top. See you Saturday at the 'Stone.

GBhockeygal
02-23-2011, 02:56 PM
the SNC student section is consistently "squashed" by the school AD; sad in comparison to other rinks........we do what we can over in Section E on the blue line, so stop by and grab a homemade cookie Saturday night!

snc1
02-23-2011, 03:09 PM
the SNC student section is consistently "squashed" by the school AD; sad in comparison to other rinks........we do what we can over in Section E on the blue line, so stop by and grab a homemade cookie Saturday night!

The student section took a hit last year when the guy sitting next to me got mad that he couldnt see into the corner where the conference banners are because the students were standing by the glass. He went to Bald, but nothing was done, so he took a pic of it and sent it to the state fire inspector saying its a fire hazzard to have students there. So if you wonder why no students can sit in the front row anymore or get up against the glass and make noise you know why. Dont take it out on the AD. Its usually some d bag with an agenda that squashes the fun.

snc1
02-23-2011, 03:10 PM

I will stop for some cookies though. They are always good. :)

XYZ
02-23-2011, 03:57 PM
Its usually some d bag with an agenda that squashes the fun.

Well, here's a guy who clearly needs to be beaten with a sack of doorknobs.

pete99race
02-23-2011, 04:11 PM
The student section took a hit last year when the guy sitting next to me got mad that he couldnt see into the corner where the conference banners are because the students were standing by the glass. He went to Bald, but nothing was done, so he took a pic of it and sent it to the state fire inspector saying its a fire hazzard to have students there. So if you wonder why no students can sit in the front row anymore or get up against the glass and make noise you know why. Dont take it out on the AD. Its usually some d bag with an agenda that squashes the fun.
Has this guy every been to Point or Stout, where the students really have a 'good' time in their home arenas??:(:(