This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Maine Black Bears 2010 - 2011

I don't think Sullivan gets the call because Whitehead thinks he is "hot." I think he gets the call because he has looked better in practice--or, at least, neither Sirman nor Ouellette has outshown him in practice to the point where they get the not instead of him.

Comment

Originally posted by dwollstadt View Post
      I don't think Sullivan gets the call because Whitehead thinks he is "hot." I think he gets the call because he has looked better in practice--or, at least, neither Sirman nor Ouellette has outshown him in practice to the point where they get the not instead of him.
      I can't say for sure but I thought he said in pregame he was going with the hot goalie. The wording could have been different. In the past he has mentioned playing a goalie due to their performance in practice. I think Sullivans composure in net has a lot to do with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Hockey East Super Fan View Post
        3. North Dakota would probably be #3 in the country if they had swept Maine instead of vice versa. Mr. Sullivan was in net for that sweep. He was in net for the tie against BU in their rink. That was due to "going with the hot goalie". No one seems willing to appreciate the momentum and confidence gained.
        fwiw, sirman and and sully split the nodak series... and i get what you are saying... here are my thoughts... i was at the first north dakota game in which sirman started. i went with my best friend who has played the game for thirty years and whose twin brother was an all state goaltender in the early 90s... i can't tell you how many times he commented that sirman looked shaky or that he went down really early, etc., etc. not sure if anyone remembers how und's last goal was scored in that game... the puck was thrown at the net from the corner about a foot off of the goal line, rattled off sirman's far pad and in... the next night sully puts together another solid outing and there you go... we don't know what whitehead's thinking is, but maybe that soft goal is making him second guess sirman... who knows with ouellette? maybe he's not at 100%, maybe he's struggling in practice, maybe he's like sirman last year, not in the shape he needs to be in... we don't know...

i think the team and the coaching staff has a certain level of comfort with sully backstopping the team. and if he is playing well, you let him see how far he can take it. the other two guys are facing talented guys everyday in practice. they should be fine to come in if something were to happen to sully. it's their job to be ready if something happens to him. when sully has an off night, you give the other guys a chance the next time out. if they put together a solid outing go with a rotation from that point unless one of them steps to the fore again...
        Last edited by gscott13; 11-17-2010, 02:11 AM.

Comment

since i am up with a vomiting pup tonight i decided to pull together some data on how much of the load starting goalies (defined for this exercise as the goalie on each team that has played the majority of the minutes/games, regardless of perceived status as the #1) carry across d-1, here is what i came up with:

WCHA
          Starting goalies played 90.92 of the 131 games played so far this season by WCHA teams. This represents 69.4% of all games.
          The 1st Backup (second most games played) accounted for the remaining 40.08 games representing 30.6% of all games played by WCHA teams.

CCHA
          Starting goalies played 91.42 of the 125 games played so far this season by CCHA teams. This represents 73.14% of all games.
          The 1st Backup accounted for the remaining 33.58 games representing 26.86% of all games played by CCHA teams.

ECACHL
          Starting goalies played 74.33 of the 95 games played so far this season by ECACHL teams. This represents 78.24% of all games.
          The 1st Backup accounted for 17 games representing 17.89% of all games played by ECACHL teams.
          All other goaltenders accounted for the remaining 3.67 games and 3.86%

Atlantic Hockey
          Starting goalies played 78.92 of the 108 games played so far this season by ECACHL teams. This represents 73.07% of all games.
          The 1st Backup accounted for 21.58 games representing 19.98% of all games played by ECACHL teams.
          All other goaltenders accounted for the remaining 7.50 games and 6.94%.

Hockey East
          Starting goalies have played 76.07 of the 96 games played so far this season by HE teams. This represents 79.24% of all games.
          The 1st Backup accounted for 18.93 games representing 19.72% of all games played by HE teams.
          All other goaltenders accounted for the remaining 1.00 game and 1.04%.

Alabama Huntsville
          Starting goaltender has played 7.50 of the 12 games played so far this season by UAH. This represents 61.50% of all games.
          The 1st Backup accounted for 4 games representing 33.33% of all games played.
          All other goaltenders accounted for the remaining .50 games and 4.17%.

On the whole of DI, there have been a total 567 team games played this season. Of those 567 games, the starting goaltender has accounted for 419.16 games which represents 73.93% of all games played. The first backup has played a total of 135.17 games accounting for 23.84% of all games. All other goalies accounted for the remaining 12.67 games and 2.23%.

How does Maine stack up? Maine has played 10 games to date. Sullivan has played 6.15 games or 61.50% of the time. Sirman follows with 2.85 games or 28.50% of the time, and Ouellette has played in 1 game for 10%. Comparing those numbers, Sullivan, as the starter has played less on a percentage basis than the average percentage attributed to the starter in every league. Sullivan has played 12.5% less than the average of all of the other starters. 17 teams starters have carried less of a load than Sullivan has thus far, and many of those teams are not exactly tournament hopefuls. In contrast, there are 16 teams who have starters that have played 90% or more of their teams games including 7 that have played every minute of every game. Essentially 2/3 of all teams have their starting tender carrying more of the load than Sully has thus far.

I think people are panicking a bit too much over nothing. Maine is no different than any other program out there, leaning on one goalie to do the bulk of the lifting with the others picking up time here and there...

Comment

Originally posted by BobF View Post
            Yeah! What's the deal with starting a goalie who keeps winning!!!! Let's start a goalie who loses so we know what goalie can win!

It was so much better when we had inconsistent Darling and Wilson who most nights was good for 4 against! That way we knew who to start!

Coach please start someone else to satisfy the nutcases! Do you people actually believe what you are writing? For the last 3 years we went from horrible to awful to mediocre. Now we're good, bordering on very good and you are still complaining!

I have no clue as to what it takes to make you all happy!

As for me I am just going to continue to enjoy the season, I guess ignorance is bliss, since I know so much less than the rest of you!
            Do YOU REALLY THINK that people here want to put in Ouellette to get some playing time want him and the TEAM to LOSE...come on get a grip sometime...nobody wants to LOSE....think about it for a minute PROFESSOR. And YES it is a nice start to the season and lets hope it continues this weekend and beyond.

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
              Because they were so common before.
              Common, not common, its the goal or used to be.
              I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by BearPaw View Post
                I couldn't agree more. This was my frustration in the NU/ME thread discussing goalies. Sullivan has kept us in the games and our offense has won them. I don't call giving up 2 goals on 17-23 shots hot. What happens when we play a team that puts over 30 sog? We tie or lose. Sully will continue to play until he loses and he won't take us to January unless he gets hot.

The only way Sully doesn't play both games is if he gives up 4 goals on Fri.
                Lot better than giving up 5 on 17 shots like some of our previous goalies.
                What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                  Common, not common, its the goal or used to be.
                  It isn't anymore?

The team has been to four Frozen Fours and is a skate blade and a bad official away from having two more championships.

The current Black Bears are #3 in the polls, #5 in the PWR and have the best record in Hockey East. But let's find something to complain about because we can't possibly be happy because the team is winning again!

Comment

Originally posted by gscott13 View Post
                    since i am up with a vomiting pup tonight i decided to pull together some data on how much of the load starting goalies (defined for this exercise as the goalie on each team that has played the majority of the minutes/games, regardless of perceived status as the #1) carry across d-1, here is what i came up with:

WCHA
                    Starting goalies played 90.92 of the 131 games played so far this season by WCHA teams. This represents 69.4% of all games.
                    The 1st Backup (second most games played) accounted for the remaining 40.08 games representing 30.6% of all games played by WCHA teams.

CCHA
                    Starting goalies played 91.42 of the 125 games played so far this season by CCHA teams. This represents 73.14% of all games.
                    The 1st Backup accounted for the remaining 33.58 games representing 26.86% of all games played by CCHA teams.

ECACHL
                    Starting goalies played 74.33 of the 95 games played so far this season by ECACHL teams. This represents 78.24% of all games.
                    The 1st Backup accounted for 17 games representing 17.89% of all games played by ECACHL teams.
                    All other goaltenders accounted for the remaining 3.67 games and 3.86%

Atlantic Hockey
                    Starting goalies played 78.92 of the 108 games played so far this season by ECACHL teams. This represents 73.07% of all games.
                    The 1st Backup accounted for 21.58 games representing 19.98% of all games played by ECACHL teams.
                    All other goaltenders accounted for the remaining 7.50 games and 6.94%.

Hockey East
                    Starting goalies have played 76.07 of the 96 games played so far this season by HE teams. This represents 79.24% of all games.
                    The 1st Backup accounted for 18.93 games representing 19.72% of all games played by HE teams.
                    All other goaltenders accounted for the remaining 1.00 game and 1.04%.

Alabama Huntsville
                    Starting goaltender has played 7.50 of the 12 games played so far this season by UAH. This represents 61.50% of all games.
                    The 1st Backup accounted for 4 games representing 33.33% of all games played.
                    All other goaltenders accounted for the remaining .50 games and 4.17%.

On the whole of DI, there have been a total 567 team games played this season. Of those 567 games, the starting goaltender has accounted for 419.16 games which represents 73.93% of all games played. The first backup has played a total of 135.17 games accounting for 23.84% of all games. All other goalies accounted for the remaining 12.67 games and 2.23%.

How does Maine stack up? Maine has played 10 games to date. Sullivan has played 6.15 games or 61.50% of the time. Sirman follows with 2.85 games or 28.50% of the time, and Ouellette has played in 1 game for 10%. Comparing those numbers, Sullivan, as the starter has played less on a percentage basis than the average percentage attributed to the starter in every league. Sullivan has played 12.5% less than the average of all of the other starters. 17 teams starters have carried less of a load than Sullivan has thus far, and many of those teams are not exactly tournament hopefuls. In contrast, there are 16 teams who have starters that have played 90% or more of their teams games including 7 that have played every minute of every game. Essentially 2/3 of all teams have their starting tender carrying more of the load than Sully has thus far.

I think people are panicking a bit too much over nothing. Maine is no different than any other program out there, leaning on one goalie to do the bulk of the lifting with the others picking up time here and there...
                    Very impressive compilation of data. Especially at 2:00 a.m.

Comment

It isn't anymore?

The team has been to four Frozen Fours and is a skate blade and a bad official away from having two more championships.

The current Black Bears are #3 in the polls, #5 in the PWR and have the best record in Hockey East. But let's find something to complain about because we can't possibly be happy because the team is winning again!
                      again, you are trying to get people to point out the obvious
                      Grant Maine vs no grant.

and you want someone to point out who maine has played this season... kudos.

Comment

It isn't anymore?

Complaining is kind of a strong word isn't it? I'd say its a discussion about what we fans would like to see. Thats what this board is all about, isn't it. I think most of us can see the obvious things you like to point out, maybe if you say them enough we'll stop going to games or reading up on the team or listening to them on the radio or hoping they win another championship or not
                        I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by BobF View Post
                          What I know is you "nutcases" have been crying for years and now you have a winning team and you are still crying.!
                          Indeed...because all good teams win games and say:

"Top notch work boys! There is nothing we could possibly do differently so lets get blissfully complacent and make no adjustments in the future!! Let's make sure our opponents know exactly what to prepare for in practice, and make sure we keep no one on their toes. Additionally lets keep as few players fresh for game-action as we can!"

As far as your previous response, I think I already hit on those points..

Readers Digest version...
                          OK, but Sullivan isn't exactly going on a Tim Thomas run of shutouts here....nor a Ben Bishop run of 1-goal/game 'shutouts'

He's been fantastic, but ..... Is the assumption that if Sullivan gave up 2 goals per game the others would have given up 5? Who's to say one of the other guys doesn't come into one of those nights a pitch a shutout? Where does the conversation go if that happens? ... I'm just saying that I haven't seen enough of this race to call it already.

Ride Mr. Sullivan for as far as 2 goals/game takes him? What if we do, he takes us to January, and Mr. Sullivan blows his knee? Now, in the heat of the season, we have to rely on guys that haven't seen action in 3 months.

END POINT....

People keep saying 'ride the hot hand'...

well, again, no disrespect to sully, but our HOT HAND is 9th in conference in save percentage. THis is quite obviously the best we're going to do this year, so lets not risk anything?

Every single handed goalie we've used in the past 5 or 6 years got complacent with his job at some point, or went into slumps, and when he slumped we really had little choice but to keep playing him because the guy behind him wasn't game ready which partially explains some our previous mid or late season faulters. How are you people secure without any form of goaltending insurance?

Regardless of what Hockey East Superfan says....NU will not be a TUC. Road games carry more weight than home in the PWR, so you've got a home series against an in conference non-TUC. The stakes couldnt have been lower to give someone else a mere look.
                          Being led to the promiseland by TIMMAY!!!

Comment

Every situation is different. Was Alfie in a rotation 98-99?

Comment

You had to remind us!..........

Comment

Originally posted by gscott13 View Post
                                Love the outside of the box stats. Excellent work.

I do realize that the majority of teams exclusively use 1 goalie, but Tim expected a competition/rotation, and he has seemingly declared a 'no 2nd place relevant' winner less than a month into the season.

Not to mention, a 2 headed goalie has found just about all of Maine's major successes.
                                Being led to the promiseland by TIMMAY!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X