Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Union College Dutchmen Hockey 2010-11: There's one way and that's to Atlantic City!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Union College Dutchmen Hockey 2010-11: There's one way and that's to Atlantic Cit

Wholin, I would like to thank Union for playing AIC. I'd like to think that Union appreciates the scholar-athlete more than most teams, especially after the 40% comment a few years ago. AIC does put a lot more focus on the education than on hockey. And especially this year, AIC only has 3 OOC games, so this games means a lot.
    I'm hoping for a close game, as AIC has been surging of late, beating Air Force, Mercyhurst(sweep in Erie) and 6-2 over RIT. But I do know that Union is by far in a class above AIC. I can easily see Union finishing 2nd in the ECAC. Don't know if it will happen, but it is obtainable.

Comment

• Re: Union College Dutchmen Hockey 2010-11: There's one way and that's to Atlantic Cit

somewhat of concern are two things.... 1) the number of short handed goals we are giving up and 2) the lack of goals scored....only 11 in league play...which i believe is last in the league.......

Comment

Originally posted by Wholin1 View Post
        I agree with ADK that we did have a young lineup out there, and the absence of Prez who is as tough a competitor as Union has ever put out there, could not have helped. That being said, this was likely going to be a loss no matter how you slice it. Let's hope the team takes it as a learning experience from which they can grow and improve. Still it's been a while this season since Union has hit on all cylinders and I'm thinking maybe the early blowouts may in some ways have been counterproductive. Nonetheless we are still highly (and probably at this point over) ranked in the polls which I guess is better than the opposite. I have a lot of faith in this team and the coaching staff.

I'm sort of scratching my head wondering why we are playing the two OOC teams this weekend. It seems that AIC and Army have become semi-permanent fixtures on the schedule, and although Army always plays tough, I'm not sure what we have to gain by playing these teams, no offense intended to them. Of course a few years ago OOC fans probably said the same thing about scheduling lowly Union. RPI is hosting BU Saturday which makes me wonder if any thought was given to hosting BU on Friday, though I know it was a home and home deal. I'm guessing money is an issue there with U's tiny rink. Win or lose IMO there's a lot more to be gained playing that kind of team than Army and AIC. Of course if we manage to lose or tie either of them I'll be eating my words with a fork and spoon.
        I definitely think the lack of early tough games (Alaska excepted) didn't help Union. As comparison, last season's early games with Maine & St. Cloud I think really had the team mentally prepared for the RPI games and the start of league play. But.. the schedule is what it is, and the reality is that the last 3 games have been great tests and at least 4 of the next 6 should be too. Hopefully the boys will get some wins in these games before the league stretch run.

As for getting BU or BC on Union's schedule anytime soon, don't hold your breath. And it's really not money related. HE schools only have like 7-9 non-conf games and for BU & BC they have the Beanpot, plus a game with Harvard if they aren't scheduled to play in the Pot, so they really only have like 4-5 OOCs schedule. To play BU or BC you have to either be a consistent top 10 program or have connections. RPI obviously was (& may soon be again) a top program and has those connections, and they are consistently on BU's schedule. And with the level of competition night-in & night-out in HE, there is absolutely no reason for a BU or BC to play a slightly middle of the pack team like Union that might actually beat them and won't help their strength-of-schedule. IMO the only chance U will have of playing them is if they end up in a tournament with them.

Of course, non of this explains why U couldn't get any other teams in HE on the schedule, though maybe U's improvement in the last couple years has something to with that. I was actually hoping to see Merrimack, as U hasn't played them in a while and they actually have a very good team that be in the upper half of HE.

As for AIC & Army, I tend to agree that not much good can come from these games, but hopefully the boys get some offensive confidence back.
        UNIONNY HOCKEY - Not in Kentucky anymore..

Comment

ADK is on the money with this. Bottom line is that this season's schedule is a bit disappointing, with no digs intended toward Army & AIC. Not knowing what the actual process is in scheduling a season, I can only speculate, but the BU/BC observations are nuts on. There are many other fish in the pond who U could match up with and help in the RPI department. I guess the big factor is how far in advance are deals made for these games? We're sort of in uncharted waters, with a team that is now respected and looked at as one of the better ones in the country. Last year we were strong for the first time, so I think the jury may be still out, waiting to see what happens this year. Once the program can consistently field (or ice?) a competitive team, then stronger teams will want to match up. Personally, I would like to see some future dates with CCHA teams such as the Michigan schools or Ohio State. I just seems that they play in larger venues and having the boys exposed to larger crowds, not to mention the level of competition, would help them to grow along with receiving some more national recognition.

Comment

Other than the Alaska trip, the OOC schedule has been pedestrian. By the time the weekend is over Union will have played half of the Atlantic conference. I don't have anything against that except they're not really the teams I'd like to see for the most part though it might be nice to build on the RIT rivalry that started in D-3 days. As pointed out though, wishing isn't having. I don't think scheduling is done all that far in advance in many instances. However, the problems mentioned here are formidable. I didn't realize that BU and RPI for example have a standing game each season as RC kindly pointed out to me. But I agree that even without BU and BC there are other HE teams that might be willing to slot us as Maine and Providence did in recent seasons. Although it would be good for the program, I was being somewhat selfish in that I think it would heighten spectator interest as well.

Anyway, the final 4 OOC this month and at New Year's will be good tests for the Dutchmen. Western Michigan at least until recently was exceeding expectations and playing Minnesota in Minnesota as well as Bemidji will be good tests and should prime the team for the ECAC push.

Hopefully we will see two wins this weekend but the boys had best be ready to roll. As pointed out AIC is playing respectably and the last two games with Army were nailbiting wins.

I believe Toys for Tots will be collecting before the game on Saturday and I'd urge everyone to consider supporting that cause, especially with the tough times many are facing these days. It's also Military Appreciation weekend, a nice tribute, but I hope we don't take it too far vs. the Black Knights .

Go U!
            Last edited by Wholin1; 12-09-2010, 07:43 PM.

Comment

Something that may be of interest.. the Kent School and Union recruit Drew Brown are playing a game today against Salisbury on the outdoor rink at Michigan Stadium in Ann Arbor (10AM start). This is a preliminary to the Michigan-Michigan State outdoor game tomorrow that is expected to have over 100,000 fans in attendance. Drew is already off to a fabulous start in NE Preps with 11 points in only 3 games, including a 6 point effort against Salisbury this past Monday. No small accomplishment considering Salisbury (coached by former U defenseman Andrew Will) is almost always one of the top teams in NE Preps. Kent won that game 8-4 so should be very interesting to see how the rematch goes.

I'm hoping to do a recap next week of how U's recruits are doing in their junior/prep leagues. Overall it looks like the coaches have another very good group of kids coming in the next year or two.

Comment

Good stuff ADK, I think we all appreciate your keeping us posted on the newcomers. Thanks.

Not to pick at an old wound, but I worked up the courage to watch my DVR of the Yale game. In some ways it wasn't as bad as I had feared, at least until the third period. I think without Kinkaid being on his game it could actually have been worse. Welsh banging one of the post early in the first might have been a gamechanger and of course the 5x3 coming up empty was pretty much the final nail in the coffin. As far as the broadcast, I've got to say that Barry Melrose made my ears bleed. His mouth runs way ahead of his brain. How he ends up being the college hockey analyst is beyond me.

Comment

Originally posted by Wholin1 View Post
                  As far as the broadcast, I've got to say that Barry Melrose made my ears bleed. His mouth runs way ahead of his brain. How he ends up being the college hockey analyst is beyond me.
                  It's the mullet.

You're absolutely right that Kinkaid and the defense kept the team in the game until the 3rd, and that's how long it took Yale to figure him out. Usually if a goalie is going to keep you in a game, two periods is about how long they'll be able to effectively do it. After that, you really need to get your offense going, or else you don't have a prayer. It's that whole "dreaded third period" syndrome.

Comment

If Kincaid starts both nights, Union gets the double shutout 7-0 tonight and 4-0 tomorrow.

If Milan gets a start or both, then Union still sweeps but receives one or 2 goals.

Enjoy your wins.
                    Hockeyenthusiast

Colgate Class of '03

-I saw Andy McDonald play at Starr Rink.

Comment

Originally posted by hockeyenthusiast View Post
                      If Kincaid starts both nights, Union gets the double shutout 7-0 tonight and 4-0 tomorrow.

If Milan gets a start or both, then Union still sweeps but receives one or 2 goals.

Enjoy your wins.
                      Milan starts so we'll check back with you later.

Comment

This win is what it is, AIC was completely outclassed tonight. Milan looked good during his portion of the game, his early save on Little was great. Army won't be as easy of a game tomorrow as they always seem to give Union problems.

On the subject of scheduling, Matt and Brian mentioned during the second intermission that a trip to Denver/CC is in the works for next season.

Comment

Well I don't think anyone at AIC is thanking Union for last nights game NOW. Didn't help that the Yellow Jackets had there second string goalie in there, but have to feel it wouldn't have made much difference. Overall I don't like watching games like that and, despite the numerous good individual efforts out there, didn't think U looked very sharp with their passing or teamwork. Of course, they didn't have to. White definitely is not skating like he normally does and hope his injury (whatever it is) gets better.

Army should be a sterner test and at least won't get worn down after the first 30 minutes like AIC did last night. Army's goalie is also pretty good, so could be a close game.

Comment

I really don't enjoy watching games like that either, regardless of which end of the score my team is on. I also don't think either team gains much from such one sided games, but thats my uneducated guess. I don't have that killer instinct I guess, because I begin to feel sorry for the opponent who is taking the shellacking, and I thought it was kind of cruel to leave that goalie in to take 8 goals against. BTW, at 6'6" he has to be the tallest goalie I've ever seen. Also Hatch's hit after the whistle though I don't think was intentional, led to a very scary collision into the boards by the AIC player. Fortunately he looked to be ok but badly shaken up.

With Ingoldsby out indefinitely and NJ-W at less than 100% U is quite thin on the blueline. There isn't much of a breather coming up either.

If Union is looking to play CC and Denver next year there would be a lot more benefit to the program than playing another AIC game or the like next season. Of course the last pair Union played at CC were one sided losses if I recall, but that was a long time ago. Playing tough OOC opponents seems to me to be far more beneficial on several fronts than beating up on undermanned opponents.

Tonight should be a lot more interesting especially when looking back at the last 2 games between these 2 which went down to the wire in 1 goal Union wins.

Comment

6 power play goals tonight!

Comment

Looking ahead to the rest of the month and New Year's day, these 4 OOC games are huge in my opinion, particularly the game against Minnesota. As has been mentioned by ADK and others, Union is still looking for the "signature" OOC win. I realize that Minnesota has been struggling by their standards, but they are still a highly respected top 20 opponent and it will be huge challenge to beat them on the road. Nonetheless, Union needs to win this game in my view to enhance their chances of making the NCAAs and to confirm their high national rankings. Sure we don't want to get ahead of ourselves as this weekend will present a big challenge in its own right, but I can look ahead as a fan even if the team can't.

Comment

Working...
                                X