Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Nescac 2010-11

Originally posted by NUProf View Post
    The first tie breaker is record among the tied teams. If Midd, Williams, and Hamilton are tied, the records are Ham 1-0-1. Midd 0-0-2, Williams 0-1-1. That separates everybody. The separates clause means that in a multiple way tie, if you get something that divides the field, but doesn't resolve everything, then you go back with the teams still tied. If you had a four way tie, you would go until either one team is on top or somebody is on the bottom, or the group is split.
    Then why does the wording say, "At that point, the process begins anew (returning to the first criteria) with the remaining teams." ??

I am reading it that if all teams win both games this weekend, Williams will be eliminated from a three-way, and then Midd would win a tie-breaker with Hamilton.

I see your point, but I am just reading it differently. I guess we'll have to wait and see how it all turns out.

You are the math guy, though, so I bet you're right. I did see that whoever runs this website took it the same way I did: nescachockey.wordpress.com
    Last edited by AldenPartridge1819; 02-18-2011, 02:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by AldenPartridge1819 View Post
      Then why does the wording say, "At that point, the process begins anew (returning to the first criteria) with the remaining teams." ??

I am reading it that if all teams win both games this weekend, Williams will be eliminated from a three-way, and then Midd would win a tie-breaker with Hamilton.

I see your point, but I am just reading it differently. I guess we'll have to wait and see how it all turns out.

You are the math guy, though, so I bet you're right. I did see that whoever runs this website took it the same way I did: nescachockey.wordpress.com
      The process restarts to break ties among teams still tied. That's what they mean, Captain.
      2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
      2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
      2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
      2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Originally posted by NUProf View Post
        The process restarts to break ties among teams still tied. That's what they mean, Captain.
        Sounds good. The reality is that it probably doesn't matter anyway because the chances of all three of those teams winning both during this crazy season are slim.

Comment

Sounds good. The reality is that it probably doesn't matter anyway because the chances of all three of those teams winning both during this crazy season are slim.
          You ARE right about that! Man it's going to be fun to see how it unfolds...
          from behind the iron curtain...

Comment

Originally posted by The Real Georgia Peach View Post
            It would be ironic if the New England Small College Athletic Conference held it's tournament in New York. ...Has it ever happened before?
            in a word..NO

Comment

Only one game remaining, and still nothing settled at the top of the NESCAC! As an example, Middlebury could have sole possession of first place with a win, but on the other hand could find themselves in a tie with Colby for fifth place and have to travel to the quarterfinals with a loss!

Comment

Originally posted by jimmy d View Post
                Only one game remaining, and still nothing settled at the top of the NESCAC! As an example, Middlebury could have sole possession of first place with a win, but on the other hand could find themselves in a tie with Colby for fifth place and have to travel to the quarterfinals with a loss!
                Or Colby, which was in 7th yesterday and is in 6th today, could end up in 4th with home ice (which is no advantage for them) in the first round of the NESCAC playoffs. But isn't this fairly typical of recent years in NESCAC?

But no chance of a Middlebury/Colby tie. Midd has one too many points.
                Last edited by OhioMule; 02-19-2011, 09:37 AM.
                Mule Train, 2018 NESCAC Champs, made it to the Frozen Four

Comment

With all the crazy parity, I wouldn't be surprised to see Bates wind up with a play-off spot.

Comment

Originally posted by OhioMule View Post
                    Or Colby, which was in 7th yesterday and is in 6th today, could end up in 4th with home ice (which is no advantage for them) in the first round of the NESCAC playoffs. But isn't this fairly typical of recent years in NESCAC?

But no chance of a Middlebury/Colby tie. Midd has one too many points.
                    Yes, you're right, worse case scenario for Midd would be a tie for fourth with Bowdoin, I guess that means that the tie last night clinched home ice for the quarters.... Or NOT, I've been wrong a lot lately.

Comment

With all the crazy parity, I wouldn't be surprised to see Bates wind up with a play-off spot.
                      Yea, It's too bad that Bates dropped their varsity program, how long ago was that now, anyway?

Comment

Correct...Amherst, Hamilton and Middlebury have all secured a home q-final contest. Final spot down to Bowdoin-Colby-Williams today.
                        D-III Game Pics @ http://www.willcimages.com

Friends of Panther Hockey

Comment

Wesleyan at Hamilton
                          Trinity at Williams
                          Colby at Middlebury
                          Bowdoin at Amherst

With these quarterfinal matchups, I would expect one or two upsets. I doubt home ice advantage will hold up.
                          Last edited by neumyer; 02-19-2011, 09:07 PM.
                          Middlebury Hockey....The Greatest DIII Show on Skates

Comment

Anyone else at the Skidmore@Williams game. I could have sworn that Skidmore changed goalies with like 9:52ish left in the 2nd and put in
                            their captain Ross #29. But the box score says Bessey #1 played the entire game.

Comment

Just for fun, I broke down what the NESCAC standings would look like if the Interlock was not around this year. Only including NESCAC games here is how the standings would look.

1- Amherst
                              2- Hamilton
                              3- Trinity
                              4- Colby
                              5- Wesleyan
                              6- Williams
                              7- Middlebury
                              8- Conn College
                              9- Bowdoin
                              10- Tufts

Which would give us a playoff of....

Conn College @ Amherst
                              Middlebury @ Hamilton
                              Williams @ Trinity
                              Wesleyan @ Colby

Interesting that Bowdoin would be on the outside looking in.

Comment

Very interesting, Matt, I'm looking forward to next year already! I would think that playing each team twice would result in end of season standings that are more reflective of actual strength.

Comment

Working...
                                X