X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2010/2011 UML In-Season Thread

Originally posted by UMLFan View Post
    Down 4-0 second period about to end. Wow ... pathetic. We're going to be swept by UMass for the first time, IIRC.
    I'm just glad I didn't make the trip to Amherst tonight. Pathetic is right.....

Comment

Wheels pretty much came off the cart this weekend. At least the blowout wasn't on Friday on NESN.

Listening to the Amherst broadcast and the on-ice reporter said at the intermission, the UML coaches were outside the locker room working on lines and adjustments. As for the players, he could hear them yelling at each other in the locker room from down the hallway.

The guys in the booth also said that after the two goals in the first, Blaise pretty much threw out the line chart and started mixing things up.

Hopefully the young players are learning to work together better through this adversity and the constant line shifting means that in the future, players will be able to fill slots on different lines without much of a loss in chemistry. Making the playoffs will be a miracle now, so hopefully something good will come of these games and the team isn't just going through the motions.
      U.S. Naval Academy '06 - BS
      UMass Lowell '12 - MBA

Comment

Originally posted by goUMLgoBC View Post
        As for the players, he could hear them yelling at each other in the locker room from down the hallway.
        Its good to know they care, but man is this ugly.
        BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
        Skating Friar Jersey
        AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
        UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
        Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Down 4-0 second period about to end. Wow ... pathetic. We're going to be swept by UMass for the first time, IIRC.
          You can add Merrimack to that list by this time next week.
          - John

2013, 2014, 2017: UML Hockey: Hockey East Champions!

Comment

Anyone know what that circle is UML has on the left side of their chest on the blue jerseys?
            #NewMass

Comment

Originally posted by jjmc85 View Post
              Anyone know what that circle is UML has on the left side of their chest on the blue jerseys?
              For Craig Charon, a former player who died this yr (at age 40ish) from stomach cancer.

Comment

Anyone have a fork?

Comment

Just watched the highlights from the Friday game on NESN and had a couple of observations:

- Boulanger looks to have trouble resetting himself after giving up a rebound. A few times, the net seemed wide open because after he made the initial save, he was still sliding in the wrong direction when the rebound shot was put on net.

- Both teams' non-powerplay goals seemed to come from turnovers and odd-man rushes as opposed to sustained pressure in the zone.

- Lowell defensemen need to make sure opposing forwards aren't between them and the goal. A couple of the rebound goals happened because the Amherst forward had a free whack at it just outside the crease before a River Hawk defenseman got back far enough to put the body on him.

- Watching freshmen and sophomores Pendenza, Holmstrom, Ruhwedel, Ickert, and Wetmore develop is going to be great. If Carr, Arnold, Butler, Thompson, Wright, and some of the 2011's can keep up, the team will be looking pretty good very soon.

Although anything will look good by comparison right now ...
                  U.S. Naval Academy '06 - BS
                  UMass Lowell '12 - MBA

Comment

Originally posted by John_Fuller View Post
                    You can add Merrimack to that list by this time next week.
                    You know things are bad when you can't beat Amherst or Merrimack. I only listened to the game last night but according to Bob the team was flat most of the night. Did anyone make the trip to Amherst? I wonder if the team has turned off the coach at this point.

Comment

Originally posted by boblav1 View Post
                      You know things are bad when you can't beat Amherst or Merrimack. I only listened to the game last night but according to Bob the team was flat most of the night. Did anyone make the trip to Amherst? I wonder if the team has turned off the coach at this point.
                      Yes, I was there and it could have been a lot uglier. Amherst hit three if not four posts clean.

IMHO, the seniors of this group already have checked out and the juniors aren't far behind. The underclassmen, led by Wetmore are the only one with any effort but unforutunately their experience is not on par with the rest of HE.

Just to put things into perspective, BC is just four pts from clinching a finish of no worse than 9th, and it's a near certainty the official elimination process will be starting this week.
                      - John

2013, 2014, 2017: UML Hockey: Hockey East Champions!

Comment

It's sad to think that if we don't beat Bentley in a couple of weeks, we might not win a game the rest of the season.
                        Monty

2011-2012 NCAA Tournament Participants
                        2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
                        2013-2014 Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants
                        2015-2016 NCAA Tournament Participants
                        2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

Comment

It's sad to think that if we don't beat Bentley in a couple of weeks, we might not win a game the rest of the season.
                          lets get this started... from afar, seeing our record, and the stated behavior of the team... Bentley 5, Lowell 2.
                          BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
                          Skating Friar Jersey
                          AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                          UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                          Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Originally posted by John_Fuller View Post
                            Changing the theme about something positive for a few minutes.

After watching the game (both in person and on TV) and experiencing that gut-wrenching feeling with 11.6 showing on the clock, I kinda of noticed something about last night. There were actually people in the building and it didn't look like the typical empty blue seat arena. Tom Caron actually noticed it to start the game. Now, we can discuss the difficulty once again for the ticket crew to get everyone in by game time and that some concessionaires ran out of food/drinks at another time. However, the city responded to a marketing scheme to the team it truly loves. A 2-17-2 team that draws 5700/6500 is a pretty good capacity, 89+%. You don't usually see people at an event where a team has that type of losing record in any sport.

I'll be honest, I never liked the "Fire Rowdy" stunt bit for a minute (and a lot of alumni didn't either). While I was reading up on BC's schedule for the coming weekend their lead story was three players returning from the IIHF juniors while Lowell lead story is "firing their mascot". But for a variety of reasons, the most being the impact of social media..it worked. "Rowdy" accomplished his goal, nearly selling out the barn. Give credit to where credit is due because I was wrong. I saw on the NESN telecast that the Maine game (also on NESN) is "Tom Caron Bobblehead Night". Hopefully, they can come up with another scheme, i.e (winning a game before then), to get those fannies in the seats.
                            John good post. I missed it the first time around. I couldn't believe how much the Tsongas filled up during the first period. It was great to see all the young kids at the game with their signs. I had a group of grade school kids below me who were going back and forth with a group of Amherst fans. Nothing out of hand just cheering on the local team which was great to see.

It was pretty tough to move around between periods with the crowds trying to get food. I don't understand why they didn't have the ropes up to form a line in front of the concessions. We also check out Rowdy's Roadhouse around 7:00 pm and were told the food wasn't ready yet. I was a bit surprised by that and ended up settling for something else. Just wondering, did they ever get the fried dough back?

Comment

For the folks planning on going to Merrimack on Friday, I believe they have a $5.00 discount tickets for groups of 10 or more. The individual reserve seats are now $20.00. Merrimack is currently ranked 13th in USCHO poll and tied for 14th in the PairWise Rankings. What a difference a year makes.

Comment

Originally posted by boblav1 View Post
                                John good post. I missed it the first time around. I couldn't believe how much the Tsongas filled up during the first period. It was great to see all the young kids at the game with their signs. I had a group of grade school kids below me who were going back and forth with a group of Amherst fans. Nothing out of hand just cheering on the local team which was great to see.

It was pretty tough to move around between periods with the crowds trying to get food. I don't understand why they didn't have the ropes up to form a line in front of the concessions. We also check out Rowdy's Roadhouse around 7:00 pm and were told the food wasn't ready yet. I was a bit surprised by that and ended up settling for something else. Just wondering, did they ever get the fried dough back?
                                THey told me that they were trying to straighten things out with a vendor but that was a while ago.

Comment

Working...
                                X