This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UNH At The Starting Gate....

With the season about to start, this weekend an exhibbition against St. Francis Xavier, in looking at UNH's opening schedule, does anyone have a tougher 6 game start? On the road for 2 at Miami, home for it's only time in October vs. Michigan, then at Cornell, Northeastern and BC......admittedly I have not researched what other teams open their seasons with, hence the question. I know that theory holds to teams getting tighter and closer on the road so I guess I'll just have to see if it's true......good luck Cats!

Re: UNH At The Starting Gate....

Just saw the ad for the new CBS show "The Defenders." Jim Belushi and Coach Umile - separated at birth? Check it out.
    The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

Happy Hockey Season everybody! Unfortunately, I won't be going to the game against the X-Men, but I'll do my d*mndest to make it for the Wolverines.

Glad that the season has come around, it's been a long-*** summer for me personally and the fact that hockey season has come around is sort of the "light at the end of the tunnel" for me.

In all reality, just a few things I hope to see from the Boys in Blue:

- Cohesiveness on the top line (top 2 if we're lucky)

- A few freshmen who aren't afraid to assert themselves

- Decent performance out of DiGirolamo

- Most importanly, no injuries.

Hope everybody enjoys the game this weekend, but I've gotta save my money for the 16th.
      A Decade of Dominance

2001 2003 2004 2007 2008 2011

Comment

what will pauley t do without his ultimate fanboy in the stands

Comment

Originally posted by MagicCat View Post
          what will pauley t do without his ultimate fanboy in the stands
          After his 2009 Hockey East Quarterfinals performance, which resembled a drunken lax bro, I'm pretty sure the Whitt regulars can handle it without him...
          "Oh No! Not Maine! Then where would we get our deodorant that doesn't work?!"-Stephen Colbert

Comment

I'd be surprised if the even let you through the door.
            Last edited by MagicCat; 09-29-2010, 12:07 AM.

Comment

In Biz Jacobs' interview with Coach Umile at the Hockey East Media Day, Coach indicated that he will have a "freshman backup goalie." Sounds like Jeff Wyer will begin the season as the backup to DiGirolamo.

Comment

Originally posted by Clark-Hislop-Cox View Post
                In Biz Jacobs' interview with Coach Umile at the Hockey East Media Day, Coach indicated that he will have a "freshman backup goalie." Sounds like Jeff Wyer will begin the season as the backup to DiGirolamo.

glad to see biz jacobs is back in the saddle again this year. thanks for the link CHC. it's going to be a fun year for unh hockey me tinks
                UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

I was surprised there was no mention of speedster Stevie Moses. I am very interested in what development, if any, he has made with his puck handling skills. If he has caught his hands up with his feet, he could be a major offensive force this year- and have the sort of impact I've been waiting to see him have for two years now.

Im also very interested to see what progress Greg Burke has made. I dunno if anybody has made projections yet, but a Moses / Speelman / Burke line interests me.

Connor Hardowa is going back to blueliner, yes?

Seven hours til puck drop!
                  I haven't been on here in a year...
                  Now I'm a dad. Holy crap.

Comment

Originally posted by unhpuckfan2001 View Post
                    Im also very interested to see what progress Greg Burke has made. I dunno if anybody has made projections yet, but a Moses / Speelman / Burke line interests me.
                    Burke-Borisenok-Moses
                    "Oh No! Not Maine! Then where would we get our deodorant that doesn't work?!"-Stephen Colbert

Comment

Thoughts about what you saw tonight?

Comment

Originally posted by unhpuckfan2001 View Post
                        I was surprised there was no mention of speedster Stevie Moses.
                        I believe it is "Steven" Moses this year. (Not being sarcastic - I think that's how he'd like to be referred this year).

As for the game, great to see hockey, and great to see a nice clean Whitt. The team looked disorganized (to be expected), and Digi wasn't tested much, but didn't look great, at one point ending up fully inside the net as he scrambled to make a play. A couple of the X-Men's goals looked soft, and 3 goals on 14 shots just isn't good. Kind of odd to see him play the entire game, as Coach usually puts the backup in for at least the last ten minutes, if not half the game (2004 was the last time he didn't; in '06 Regan played the entire game against the X-Men, but shared time with Foster against the U-18 team). Especially odd considering neither of the backups has played in college. Why not give them some time?

I thought the D looked pretty solid, making some nice plays to keep the X-Men from getting in close to get a lot of shots.
                        Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must first set yourself on fire.
                        -Fred Shero

Comment

UNH has the only team in D1 college hockey to use just one goalie in exhibition play so far. I can understand that Digi hasn't seen much time, but neither have Scott or Wyer, so they could have gotten at least a few min. What really baffles me, is the decision to not dress Knodel or Agosta. The team has 8 defensemen, and the top 6 all played regularly last year. The backups are both rookies. Why not give them a few shifts each of experience in a game that does not matter? Puzzling to say the least.

Comment

Originally posted by thecomicbookguy View Post
                            I believe it is "Steven" Moses this year. (Not being sarcastic - I think that's how he'd like to be referred this year).

As for the game, great to see hockey, and great to see a nice clean Whitt. The team looked disorganized (to be expected), and Digi wasn't tested much, but didn't look great, at one point ending up fully inside the net as he scrambled to make a play. A couple of the X-Men's goals looked soft, and 3 goals on 14 shots just isn't good. Kind of odd to see him play the entire game, as Coach usually puts the backup in for at least the last ten minutes, if not half the game (2004 was the last time he didn't; in '06 Regan played the entire game against the X-Men, but shared time with Foster against the U-18 team). Especially odd considering neither of the backups has played in college. Why not give them some time?

I thought the D looked pretty solid, making some nice plays to keep the X-Men from getting in close to get a lot of shots.
                            Interesting comparison with previous exhibition games and the goalie strategy. Just seeing the numbers - 14 shots, 11 saves - didn't sound good and your observations confirmed DiGi's shakiness. When was the last time UNH had a solid looking defense and a not-so-solid goalie situation? Miami is likely to get off more than 14 shots.
                            How did the rookies look last night?

Comment

Originally posted by Clark-Hislop-Cox View Post
                              How did the rookies look last night?
                              As I said, only Silengo and Sorkin dressed. The others took warmups, were introduced, then went straight to the room. They got four shifts with Silengo cetering Sorkin on the left and McCarey on the right. I don't remember a single scoring chance on one of those shifts.

Comment

Working...
                              X