X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH At The Starting Gate....

Originally posted by Got 6, Want More View Post
    My understanding is he said "you deserved the win (especially) after that call".

I think TimU's comments are spot on. UNH was given every chance by the officials. Aside from the lopsided calls, they missed some obvious ones like UNH icing the puck on the PP (and the ref explaining the rule to the linesman after apologizing to Marsh one more time for screwing up), a fairly obvious interference by a UNH player taking out an SLU D-Man behind the goal with the puck a good 30 feet away, an ugly UNH cross check of an SLU defenseman in the 2nd while UNH was on the PP, an obvious holding / interference call by UNH hauling down Kyle Flanagan right before blowing the call on the SLU goal with 15 seconds left. I am also not so sure that SLU didn't score shorthanded in the first, but regardless, they had at least two glorious chances on the PK.

Love watching games at UNH....such a big sheet and Umile teams are always good, classy teams. I understand the disappointment, but I also know SLU is a young team that is just hitting their stride and coming back from some rough injuries and I think is a bit better than their record. Spoke to some that think SLU actually played better against UVM and that game was not as close as the score, but, whatever, this was a bigger win for us and was on the road. Weninger was good. He looked that good in his first game at Mankato where he should have had a shutout. Without him, we lose to UNH. The only comment about UNH is they seemed to whiff on a lot of shots....thank GOD!

Good luck to UNH the rest of the way. I root for UNH when they are not playing the ECAC and think you guys are lucky to have good teams year in and year out. However, wow, the officiating was pretty lousy and that is saying something from a guy used to watching ECAC refs. A lot of blown calls!
    SLU earned the win. No UNH fan should complain about the Refs in that game - eck! - Umile was right SLU should have won it late in the third on the quick whistle.

I think UNH over played the 1st line and that was the issue at the end of the game. The speed line (2nd) had no real effect on SLU. IMO the best 2 UNH lines were 3rd (Henrion and crew) and 4th (Burke and crew). Both won the battles on the boards with 3rd scoring UNH's lone goal. The 1st line was just off all night; they whiffed on a pile of shots and were sloppy with the puck on the PP. SLU was good on the PK but UNH had a pile of unforced turnovers on the PP. Give SLU credit they were in the right position to take advantage clearing pucks and gets so interesting chances on the PK.

SLU goalie played a good game and was key for the SLU win. He stole at least 2 goals from UNH, won with a quick glove the other by getting his knee down sliding across the crease (amazing - not as flashy as the glove but a better save).
    "Now Progress Takes Away What Forever Took To Find" Dave Matthews Band, The Dreaming Tree

Comment

Originally posted by TimU View Post
      and from where I sat directly behind the UNH net I can tell you SLU got screwed with the quick whistle on the non-goal.
      I was at the opposite end so I can't say, after the game I received a text message from someone who sits on the goal line in that end of the ice saying Digi had taken a stick to the mask and that was the reason for the whistle.

But I saw this, too, and I was holding my breath waiting for the call. I was all the way at the other end of the rink, so I couldn't see if he ever actually touched the puck. Weninger went for it, too, and he ended up with it. But I did see the defenseman (I believe it was Matt Raley) reach for it in the crease and I thought a PS was coming just like you did.
      I was behind the net second row, the defenseman (didn't catch whom) put his glove down directly on top of it. With how well Weninger was playing I'm not sure a penalty shot would have made much difference on the final scoreline.
      Last edited by ClOuD 9; 01-03-2011, 03:45 PM.
      "...On To Victory, Forever Blue & White..."
      Men's Hockey

ECAC Regular Season: 1 • ECAC Tournament: 1 • Hockey East Regular Season: 8 • Hockey East Tournament: 2
      NCAA Appearances: 22 • Frozen Fours: 7 • 1999 & 2003 NCAA Runner Up

Women's Hockey
      EAIAW Champions: 4 • ECAC Regular Season: 3 • ECAC Tournament: 5 • Hockey East Regular Season: 6 • Hockey East Tournament: 4
      AWCHA Final Fours: 2 • NCAA Appearances: 5 • Frozen Fours: 2 • 1999 Runner Up
      1998 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS

Comment

Originally posted by ClOuD 9 View Post
        I was behind the net second row, the defenseman (didn't catch whom) put his glove down directly on top of it. With how well Weninger was playing I'm not sure a penalty shot would have made much difference on the final scoreline.
        I too sit at that end of the ice. It was clear the D-man covered the puck. The official was on the other side of the net, but even when he got around the puck was still under the d-mans glove. I don't know how he didn't see it and call the PS but he didn't. Maybe he just didn't know the rule... in general the entire crew seemed that incompetent, generally screwing SLU.

End of the day the right team won the game.
        "Now Progress Takes Away What Forever Took To Find" Dave Matthews Band, The Dreaming Tree

Comment

Originally posted by ClOuD 9 View Post
          I was at the opposite end so I can't say, after the game I received a text message from someone who sits on the goal line in that end of the ice saying Digi had taken a stick to the mask and that was the reason for the whistle.
          I was on the goal line for this play looking down from your goalies left circle. I don't believe this text was correct. The initial shot (which had a good chance of going in by the way without anyone tapping it as it was headed that way) was taken from outside, and the player that tapped it in just arrived on the scene after getting hauled down in the circle. There were no other players (from SLU) near the goalie so that doesn't hold water. Besides, if that was the case, there would / should have been a penalty. The ref just blew a quick whistle (which some people such as TimU sitting right behind the goal judge never heard), and then saw that instant the puck was loose and that he blew the call. As JB said though, it didn't matter and the right team won in the end.

Obviously I was at the other end but I saw the play. From my point of view, he moved the puck with his hand, not smothering it, in which case I am not sure of the call. It would be a PS if he covered it and smothered it for sure as a delay of game. Provided he moved the puck, I am not sure that is even a penalty. I will concede though I was too far away and couldn't see exactly where the puck went directly after that play. My guess is if that was a penalty or PS that Umile or the UNH players would have gone more ape**** than they did. Maybe not, but I would have!
          9/11/01 - Stewie & Pelch, you are missed by the SLU Family.
          1962, 1988, 1989, 1992, 2000, 2001, we want More!!!

Comment

Shoulda Coulda Woulda. Time to put together a nice winning streak.

Comment

Originally posted by TimU View Post
              SLU got screwed with the quick whistle on the non-goal.
              My son says he read an F-bomb on the ref's lips right after that whistle, so the ref probably agrees with your assessment. It happens. Sometimes, your brain just turns to **** for a second. Good game by SLU, with very solid goaltending.

On to Lowell... 2/$22 tickets again this week. I've had season tickets since '98, and I'm seriously considering dropping them next year and taking the half price deal that everyone else gets. Maybe I can claim a charitable deduction for paying double.

Comment

The whistle blew before the puck went in the net. The question is why was the whistle blown. More than likely the ref lost sight of the puck, in which case he made the correct call by halting play.

Comment

Originally posted by GoUNH View Post
                  The whistle blew before the puck went in the net. The question is why was the whistle blown. More than likely the ref lost sight of the puck, in which case he made the correct call by halting play.
                  What the play in real time on hockey east online. There is no way the whistle ever should have been blown if it actually was blown (some behind the net didn't hear it), and the ref admitted that to the SLU coach...watch the youtube video of the post game comments. Not to mention in the top of the picture you can see SLU's best offensive player getting mugged 20 feet away from the puck. The call was blown three different ways, but the right team still won and the same two players that would have gotten points on the disallowed goal got the points on the OT winner.
                  9/11/01 - Stewie & Pelch, you are missed by the SLU Family.
                  1962, 1988, 1989, 1992, 2000, 2001, we want More!!!

Comment

Congratulations to Matt DiGirolamo, Hockey East Goalie of the Month.
                    The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by JB View Post
                      I think UNH over played the 1st line and that was the issue at the end of the game. The speed line (2nd) had no real effect on SLU. IMO the best 2 UNH lines were 3rd (Henrion and crew) and 4th (Burke and crew). Both won the battles on the boards with 3rd scoring UNH's lone goal. The 1st line was just off all night; they whiffed on a pile of shots and were sloppy with the puck on the PP. SLU was good on the PK but UNH had a pile of unforced turnovers on the PP. Give SLU credit they were in the right position to take advantage clearing pucks and gets so interesting chances on the PK.
                      Exactly what I was telling my friend the entire third period. The third and fourth lines drew all three penalties in the third, I think, then sat and watched the first and second lines blow all three power plays. Minus 2 for all three on the first line. I was actually surprised to see that the first line recorded 11 of the 30 total shots, as it certainly did not seem that way to me. But, the first two lines did get what seemed like 80% of the ice time, so I suppose the number of shots makes sense. D guys picked up 10 shots, but UNH rarely had anyone near the crease for rebounds, some of which Weninger left right in front.

We bought the $11 tickets so moved twice to sit behind Weninger, who was great, but we did not move for OT, so had a good view of the GWG, which was indeed ugly. Will be back on Friday night, with the hope that the rust has worn off by then.

Comment

Believe me Markt when I say that I can relate to your financial pain but ask yourself what you would do if you were UNH....if there are seats to be sold, especially during student vacation, why not do the deal? Personally I like to finally see the combo deal including the women's game since it seems the only way that locals will come to see the women play! Besides don't we spend our money on UNH from our heart not our head? I know I have just a few too many hoodies with UNH hockey on it.....and keep in mind how incredible it is that we even have a competitive hockey program here given that most of the schools we compete against have more than 1% of their Alumni reinvesting......just a thought

Comment

Originally posted by Markt View Post
                          On to Lowell... 2/$22 tickets again this week. I've had season tickets since '98, and I'm seriously considering dropping them next year and taking the half price deal that everyone else gets. Maybe I can claim a charitable deduction for paying double.
                          STH since '02 who decided not to renew this season (it came down to price), it has worked out quite well for me.

Originally posted by zoofer View Post
                          Personally I like to finally see the combo deal including the women's game since it seems the only way that locals will come to see the women play!
                          Love the cross marketing, unfortunately it's just not their year this year.
                          Last edited by ClOuD 9; 01-05-2011, 03:49 PM.
                          "...On To Victory, Forever Blue & White..."
                          Men's Hockey

ECAC Regular Season: 1 • ECAC Tournament: 1 • Hockey East Regular Season: 8 • Hockey East Tournament: 2
                          NCAA Appearances: 22 • Frozen Fours: 7 • 1999 & 2003 NCAA Runner Up

Women's Hockey
                          EAIAW Champions: 4 • ECAC Regular Season: 3 • ECAC Tournament: 5 • Hockey East Regular Season: 6 • Hockey East Tournament: 4
                          AWCHA Final Fours: 2 • NCAA Appearances: 5 • Frozen Fours: 2 • 1999 Runner Up
                          1998 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS

Comment

On the nosy, Cloud 9....I do love the cross marketing though.....I don't understand how at basketball schools, the fans can accept, and then enjoy both genders playing their games, however here in hockey country, it seems the fans don't even try to accept the women's game for what it is.....they just evaluate it as boring, no-checking hockey! So relatable t what Geno Auriema was saying at his 89th wn press conference

Comment

Originally posted by zoofer View Post
                              I don't understand how at basketball schools, the fans can accept, and then enjoy both genders playing their games, however here in hockey country, it seems the fans don't even try to accept the women's game for what it is.....
                              Are you basing this off of the folks in Connecticut and maybe TN and a few other places? Generally speaking, people can't stand women's basketball even at basketball schools. I think that view is mirrored on the hockey side at hockey schools too. Of course, there was a lot of excitement nationally for the US-Canada gold medal game for the women's team in Vancouver, but I would put that as a national phenomenon and an exception to the rule.

For the most part, sports fans hate women's sports unless it is beach volleyball, which we saw had a humongous surge in popularity following the last Olympics. Thanks Misty May.
                              Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                              The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Nick, I agree with the UConn and TN choices but at Baylor, Stanford et al there are many people that enjoy women's B-Ball...to be honest, while I hate basketball, I'd rather watch women play over men.....at least they still have to take shots instead of jamming it in the hoop.....then to pull on their jersey because it's so tough for a 6' 11" player to dunk.....c'mon, it's definitely a minority but to say that sports fans hate women's sports? Maybe in Arizona....the women's game in any sport is simply enjoying a different game for what it is......

Comment

Working...
                                X