X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH At The Starting Gate....

Originally posted by unh_hockey View Post
    They had a interview with stamkos who mentioned that earlier in his career that he didn't have good hands or a good shot. In addition to his practice and games, he would shoot 500-600 pucks off synthetic material each day. I have also come across some of his stick handling drills on youtube and they are pretty nuts too. In addition to insane genetics comes freakish dedication and work ethic ; something I don't think many fanbases can understand.

again, not knocking on Moses, but just found it interesting that other players have these problems and put in serious dedication to solve them. To be clear, I respect anyone who can lace em up for a D1 squad. The term 'no hands' is relative, and I would kill to be a crappy player on the club.

also to be clear, I think UNH is playing a very complete team game this year. This is much more important than a few extra goals potted by an individual. I hope they can keep this up
    Stamkos was being very, very modest. At 10 he broke all of Gretzkys records in Toronto(played for Markham Waxres) and from 8 years old on was the next great one. Had amazing hands and shot at every step of his carear. He always was the best at every tournament all over N America. Him and Jordan Eberle, Team Canada and now with Edmonton used to play on a line together as 10-12 year olds and used to light it up. Never lost a game for about 3 or 4 summers.

Him working on his hands would be like Secratariat at 3 saying he had to work on his finish before the Belmont.

Comment

Originally posted by Hokydad View Post
      Stamkos was being very, very modest. Had amazing hands and shot at every step of his career.
      I thought unh_hockey and i'zonprizes' assessment of Stevie Moses had merit. Have you seen him enough this year to comment?
      The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Clark-Hislop-Cox View Post
        I thought unh_hockey and i'zonprizes' assessment of Stevie Moses had merit. Have you seen him enough this year to comment?
        His game is speed. Always had very good hands, susprised that is an issue. He will be fine.
        Henrion is the one who will get better each eyar and could have B Butler type numbers his sr year

Comment

Bobby Butler named AHL Rookie of the Month.

Comment

Tim Thomas and the Bs shut out JVR and the Fliers 3-0 tonight.

Comment

Paul Thompson 5 minute major interview. Pretty interesting stuff, speaks about his linemates, teammates and where he came from.

http://www.hockeyeastonline.com/men/media/5mm.php

Comment

In the weekly press conference, Coach Borek provided his appraisal of this year's group of forwards as well as insight into the rationale for juggling (or keeping in tact) the forward lines.

"One thing we're really pleased with from a forward perspective is the depth at forward," UNH associate head coach Scott Borek said Wednesday. "This is my ninth year here, and we've had some very good teams, but I think this is the deepest we've been up front. I think we can score on all four lines." (from fosters.com)
                "One of the things you find out early in the year is who can be successful with who," Borek said. "It's unusual to have the lines set as quickly as we did and then to have them set themselves long term. I think (changing the lines) was as much about February and March as it was about December. You just don't want guys getting into a groove, because that groove can go both ways, too early in the season."

Comment

Interesting quote from Borek talking about the depth at forward while the team has zero fourth line goals this year.
                  "Oh No! Not Maine! Then where would we get our deodorant that doesn't work?!"-Stephen Colbert

Comment

Originally posted by RockTheWhit View Post
                    Interesting quote from Borek talking about the depth at forward while the team has zero fourth line goals this year.
                    My take on a fourth line has always been that goals are sort of a bonus. If you can roll a fourth line out there, especially at this still relatively early part of the season, and have them play at a level that makes them NOT a liability - as in, not running around with a -15 for the line - then you're in pretty good shape. Hopefully, as the line plays together more, they'll start to produce. As they get used to the speed of the game, and playing with each other, they'll put the puck in the net. Having that fourth line that you can trust to not screw up royally means your three 'scoring' lines get a break in the games. Would fresher lines have made a difference against UVM last March, when we didn't see the fourth line the last 10 minutes of the third, or in OT? Makes me wonder . . .

Borek said he 'thinks we can score on all four lines' - hopefully, the fourth line can prove him right . . . because they haven't yet.
                    I haven't been on here in a year...
                    Now I'm a dad. Holy crap.

Comment

Originally posted by unhpuckfan2001 View Post
                      My take on a fourth line has always been that goals are sort of a bonus. If you can roll a fourth line out there, especially at this still relatively early part of the season, and have them play at a level that makes them NOT a liability - as in, not running around with a -15 for the line - then you're in pretty good shape.
                      Kevin Goumas +1 / 18 SOG
                      Jeff Silengo -1 / 9 SOG
                      Kevin McCarey +0 / 11 SOG

Comment

Originally posted by hockeyeast98 View Post
                        Paul Thompson 5 minute major interview. Pretty interesting stuff, speaks about his linemates, teammates and where he came from.

Plus:
                        Paul Thompson named Hockey East Player of the Month.

Comment

Kevin Goumas +1 / 18 SOG
                          Jeff Silengo -1 / 9 SOG
                          So, like I was saying . . .
                          I haven't been on here in a year...
                          Now I'm a dad. Holy crap.

Comment

Kevin Goumas +1 / 18 SOG
                            Jeff Silengo -1 / 9 SOG
                            Lines have changed, but I do agree that the 4th line doesn't need to score. I was just pointing out an interesting part of Borek's quote. They can score and probably will at some point, but no dice yet.
                            "Oh No! Not Maine! Then where would we get our deodorant that doesn't work?!"-Stephen Colbert

Comment

Recap from last night is up now w/ mini-gallery - http://www.uscho.com/recaps/2010/12/...usetts-lowell/

Help repair my camera gear before the new season starts
                              HockeyPhotography.com - use search to find images of your favorite college player and order prints
                              HockeyPhotos on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by hockeyeast98 View Post

If Thompson and linemates play continue anywhere near the level it has been, each of Thompson, Desimone and Sislo should be 100 point scorers. Credit Tom W @UNH media for researching the last line to be comprised of all 100 point scorers - hint: one is a relative of the current Thompson-Desimone-Sislo line. Here is to their continued success and... ahem...good health...

This is more suited for the UNH recruits thread, but.... Is this anything but an idle rumor: Thompson little bro may be welcomed into the UNH fold? That said, what about "Baby Bro" Butler?
                                Last edited by DaveDan; 12-05-2010, 12:49 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X