Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mercyhurst @ Michigan 10/2- the first real game of the 2010 NCAA Season!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mercyhurst @ Michigan 10/2- the first real game of the 2010 NCAA Season!!!!

It's the only official game of the season this weekend- the rest, including Michigan's Sunday game, are exhibitions.

Lets talk HOCKEY!!!!!

Coming into this season, I know virtually nothing about Michigan's team, as I don't get a local paper, and I'm too lazy to read stuff on line. And I like to be surprised. I know a bunch of players are coming back, including Hagelin.

But I thought it would be cool to post the first offical game thread of the 2010/11 season. Which is a significant one for me- it's my 20th season as a Michigan season ticket holder and a REAL NCAA hockey fan. For the 90/91 season, I was a fresh graduate student at Michigan, and had seats right on the blue line, since the games were far from a sell out. Now, we've been in our same seats since the re-model following the '95/96 championship season. It will be good to see our section mates this weekend.

There are a lot of big, big questions surrounding Michigan, primarilly who is best between the pipes (and WHO IS COMING NEXT YEAR???). For whatever reason, Michigan is somehow polled 4th, and I put less than a Pole's chance in Siberia that it's relevant. Unless the rest of the country is in big trouble....

Anyway, nice to have the winter obsession upon us!!! Let the ranting about officials BEGIN!
    Last edited by alfablue; 09-28-2010, 03:03 PM. Reason: wT nagging.... ;)

Re: Mercyhurst @ Michigan 10/2- the first real game of the 2010 NCAA Season!!!!

This is my 10th year of knowing more about hockey than: it's on ice, there's a goalie, and they try to shoot a puck in the goal.

Michigan's 2000-2001 season marked my freshman year at U of M, where I was too stupid to audition for the hockey band, but played at a few games as a sub. One of my friends was kind enough to explain the rules and what was going on to me during those games, and I've been hooked ever since.

Yup, that's right, I knew nearly nothing about hockey 10 years ago because I grew up in the hockey void of Maryland.

I can't wait for this weekend.

Also, I hope Michigan has the football game under control Saturday as it will be tough to leave my tv, but I imagine tougher for me to miss the puck drop on the start of the hockey season.
    Last edited by wolverineTrumpet; 09-28-2010, 03:50 PM. Reason: didn't need to nag anymore ;)
    Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
    wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
    7 B1G
    7 CCHA (all except St Thomas)
    6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU)
    5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont)
    5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson)
    2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT)
    2 Alaskan

Comment

This IS the best time of year!
      The first weekends of hearing the wack and slap of stick and puck on ice is great. Throw in a Pep Band, the smell of popcorn and the goal celebrations and that's a start to the new season, my 45th.

I always have high hopes for the team and will continue to be a fan as long as I can sing the fight song.
      Game On!
      He is as cool as a bomb disposal technician!

Comment

Hello Michigan fans. Some friends and I were in the RIT student section at the frozen four, and a couple Michigan fans came up and complimented us on our enthusiasm, then proceeded to tell us how amazing it is to see a game at Yost. This stuck in my friends head, now there is a group of about 10 RIT fans coming to see Michigan (hopefully) stomp Mercyhurst. Anyone have any tips for them?

Thanks
        "I couldn't be more impressed with the student body . They had fun and had many chants but they lacked venom."

Comment

Tips:

1. Arrive early for parking since there may be other events going on.

2. Hit Mr. Spots just north of the arena on State street for pre-game snack.

3. Avoid the hotdogs at Yost. Cinnamon roasted nuts are better.

4. Most USCHO posters meet between periods outside on the south end (Zamboni) entrance.

5. Get a crash course on the chants from a student or fellow poster.

Enjoy your visit, should be a good game.

Comment

Originally posted by streaker View Post
            Tips:

1. Arrive early for parking since there may be other events going on.

2. Hit Mr. Spots just north of the arena on State street for pre-game snack.

3. Avoid the hotdogs at Yost. Cinnamon roasted nuts are better.

4. Most USCHO posters meet between periods outside on the south end (Zamboni) entrance.

5. Get a crash course on the chants from a student or fellow poster.

Enjoy your visit, should be a good game.
            Follow streaker's advice.

6. Wear RIT jerseys so I can find you, drag you into Michigan's student section and teach you not to cheer for Miami.

Arenas visited:
            7 B1G
            2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT)
            2 Alaskan

Comment

I like to hear that you are more worried about Miami than Michigan State. We have played a few great games the last few seasons. Seems the coaches are thinking you are going to win the CCHA this year, media doesn't agree. Good luck this season. Can't wait until our series in the Goggin later in the year. Should be one hell of a time.
              2014-15 NCAA Weekly Pick'em Overall and NCAA Tournament Champion

Love and Honor

Comment

Originally posted by SweeneyHawksHockey View Post
                I like to hear that you are more worried about Miami than Michigan State. We have played a few great games the last few seasons. Seems the coaches are thinking you are going to win the CCHA this year, media doesn't agree. Good luck this season. Can't wait until our series in the Goggin later in the year. Should be one hell of a time.
                My comment was in reference to the RIT students that were cheering for Miami at the Frozen Four. I understand the underdog/haven't been there as much, cheer for each other thing. But I was still appalled to see and hear it. Even so, I had a bunch of fun in the RIT section at the Frozen Four.

Oh, and for the RIT fans that will at the game Saturday, it sounds like my boyfriend might come to the game with me, he'll be wearing an RIT jersey (RIT class of '01) so if you see an RIT jersey on a guy you don't recognize, feel free to come say "hi" to us.

Arenas visited:
                7 B1G
                2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT)
                2 Alaskan

Comment

RIT... Are you the folks that had me take you photo at the display area?

There are no other events going on Sat PM. The football is away (3:30 start)
                  Usually that means a few more parking spots in the neighborhood. (free)

Besides working on the cheers there are the moves to the 'Blues Brothers'
                  He is as cool as a bomb disposal technician!

Comment

Originally posted by wolverineTrumpet View Post
                    Yup, that's right, I knew nearly nothing about hockey 10 years ago because I grew up in the hockey void of Maryland.
                    Not entirely relevant (okay, not relevant at all), but... I found this statement ironic, since I'll be going to a pair of (club) hockey games in Maryland this weekend
                    Plattsburgh CARDINALS
                    SUNYAC Champ x24: 78, 79, 82, 83, 85, 87, 88, 90, 92, 93, 97, 98, 99, 00, 01, 02, 04, 08, 09, 11, 12, 15, 17, 23
                    ECACW Champ x11: 81, 82, 87, 92, 06, 07, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
                    NEWHL Champ x5: 18, 19, 20, 22, 23
                    NCAA DIII Champ x10-ish: 87, 92, 01, 07, 08, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19
                    NCAA DIII Runner-up x4-ish: 86, 90, 06, 08
                    NCAA DII Runner-up x2: 81, 82

Comment

Originally posted by Loki View Post
                      Hello Michigan fans. Some friends and I were in the RIT student section at the frozen four, and a couple Michigan fans came up and complimented us on our enthusiasm, then proceeded to tell us how amazing it is to see a game at Yost. This stuck in my friends head, now there is a group of about 10 RIT fans coming to see Michigan (hopefully) stomp Mercyhurst. Anyone have any tips for them?

Thanks
                      Second intermission go to the student section. Here's all you need to know:

******* width="640" height="385">****** name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Z-TMOTIIos4?fs=1&hl=en_US">****** name="allowFullScreen" value="true">****** name="allowscriptaccess" value="always">****** src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Z-TMOTIIos4?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385">
                      Michigan Hockey Net
                      Follow MHNet on Twitter

NMUKat82 to my dog Cinnamon: Will you stop eyeballing my crotch like you're expecting something tasty to come out???

NMU Hockey: No Focke. No Scharge. The curse has been lifted and the turnaround begins!

"'Tech' means nerd, and nerds suck at sports." - Stephen Colbert

Comment

53.5 hours!

(not that anyone would be counting down or anything)

Originally posted by CARDS_rule_the_Burgh View Post
                        Not entirely relevant (okay, not relevant at all), but... I found this statement ironic, since I'll be going to a pair of (club) hockey games in Maryland this weekend
                        Cool. Have fun. Growing up in Maryland 10-20 years ago, it was fairly void of hockey.

Arenas visited:
                        7 B1G
                        2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT)
                        2 Alaskan

Comment

Originally posted by sqeyes View Post
                          There are no other events going on Sat PM. The football is away (3:30 start)
                          Usually that means a few more parking spots in the neighborhood. (free)
                          That is true, this weekend. Just a general heads-up to any other visiting fans, especially when basketball, wrestling or football coincide with a hockey event.

Comment

Originally posted by sqeyes View Post
                            RIT... Are you the folks that had me take you photo at the display area?
                            I don't think that was us, unless you remember an orange mohawk in the shot.

Hehe... anyways... the final tally of RIT kids on this trip is 9. We'll be in our orange and ready to be loud with you. And we can't wait.

Comment

Originally posted by M-HockeyNet View Post
                              Second intermission go to the student section. Here's all you need to know:

******* width="640" height="385">****** name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Z-TMOTIIos4?fs=1&hl=en_US">****** name="allowFullScreen" value="true">****** name="allowscriptaccess" value="always">****** src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Z-TMOTIIos4?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385">
                              Looks cool, but a bit long for my tastes - though more shots of the flute players would be in order
                              2006-07 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
                              2008-09 Atlantic Hockey Co-Champions!
                              2009-10 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
                              2010 Frozen Four participant
                              2010-11 Atlantic Hockey Champions!

Member of the infamous Corner Crew

Comment

Working...
                              X